View Full Version : from the home office at 1060 W Addison

Fenway
05-17-2005, 07:32 PM
OK I saw the May issue of VINELINE today

Now in the Flubs Matchups section they have the May "Series of the Month"

Cubs vs Astros

When they do get around to the Sox

GAME PLAN with Bob Didier

SPEED KILLS: Scott Podsednix gives them not only speed but defense. I think they have improved their defense quite a bit. They're putting more emphasis on playing "small ball"

CRAFTY LEFTY: Mark Buehrle pitches like a veteran. He doesn't overpower you, but he changes speeds. He cuts the ball in on you and gets you off-balance with change-ups.

The Cubs should avoid trailing late because the Sox feature a deep and effective bullpen.

MAJOR THREAT: Paul Konerko has a .388 average with 6 home runs, 17 RBI's and a lofty .816 slugging % vs Cubs pitching since 2002.

MUScholar21
05-19-2005, 11:51 AM
The Cubs-Astros series IS the most important one of this month for the Cubs. Along with 3 games with Milwaukee (which the argument could be made is important also) the Astros are the only other 3 game set with a divisional opponent. Those are the games teams HAVE to win.

Or Fenway, are you a White Sox fan who believes we need to adjust our rotation so our best pitchers throw against the Cubs? We all need to stop worrying about Cubs scores, and pay attention to Twins scores. I'm tired of being lumped in with all these people who consider it a "sweep" if the White Sox win and the Cubs lose. This weekend, this series is important because it is the one we are playing now. Game by game, with an eye on our division. Ozzie said it-playing the Cubs is as important as playing the Rangers. They are games you need to win because that is your goal every game. It doesn't help you though in a divisional race.

Hokiesox
05-19-2005, 02:09 PM
The Cubs should avoid trailing late because the Sox feature a deep and effective bullpen.

According to a writer in Minnesota, our bullpen is a huge liability. Are Cubs fans smarter than Twins fans?

Nellie_Fox
05-20-2005, 01:09 AM
According to a writer in Minnesota, our bullpen is a huge liability. Are Cubs fans smarter than Twins fans?As I tell my students, cite your sources! What writer? Everything I've read in Minnesota papers has been quite complimentary of Sox pitching, starting and bullpen.

Secondly, "a writer" is not the same thing as "Twins fans." I work with Twins fans, and they don't doubt the Sox pitching. The other Minnesota posters on here will know what I mean when I say that Sid is a "Minnesota writer" and no Twins fan pays any attention to anything he says.

Does what Mariotti writes reflect the opinion of Sox fans?