PDA

View Full Version : A ballpark ranking site that may be of interest to us and the Sox...

hsnterprize
05-17-2005, 04:20 PM
I know some of us had bad run-ins with Joe Mock, the author of a website and book describing his tales from various ballparks across the nation. For those of you who don't know the story, some WSIers took umbrage with Mock's comments about U.S. Cellular Field, and challenged him to come back to the place since it was back in the mid 90's when he last visited. Mock basically told those who challenged his opinions to either...

A) Fill up the ballpark since it was go "great"... -OR-
B) Don't read/buy his book

It was pretty much a case of him seemingly disregarding those who disagreed with the commentaries of both the Cell and Wrigley, of which he gave the Urinal one of the highest rankings on his list.

Which brings me to this site...The Ultimate Sports Trip (http://www.thesportsroadtrip.com). It's a site run by a couple of guys from Buffalo, NY who have travelled to every MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL stadium in North America, as well as to some college football, basketball, and minor league facilities. They describe their trips on their site, and rank their experiences at such places using a 5-start system. When it comes to baseball, Wrigley Field is one of the their favorite places, but at teh same time, they're willing to give U.S. Cellular Field another look. They ranked it before the 2000 ALDS vs. Seattle, and gave the place 3 out of 5 stars. I've since e-mailed the guys, and have learned they're coming back to the Cell in August for a re-rank. They've told me they've been passing by the place a lot lately, and have even snuck into the ballpark before the 2003 All-Star-Game...and they're been very impressed with what they've seen.

Brooks Boyer knows about these people and this site...I've told him about it. Brooks told me he, or someone on his staff, would work on trying to coax the guys into a VIP-style welcome to the ballpark. Part of the ranking criteria includes how they're treated by everyone from vendors to front office staff. They've done everything from throw out first pitches of games, ceremonial tip-offs, and interviews with local and national media.

So what am I saying here...maybe if people here at WSI keep writing a note to those fellows (their e-mail address is on the site) and telling them how great U.S. Cellular Field and their staff are, maybe they'd give the place a better-than-expected ranking, and help change the perception of a few people who think the place is as bad as the media has been saying for so long. I know it's not much, but if Brooks Boyer's main challenge as new V.P. of Marketing is to help change "perceptions" of the ballpark and everything associated with the Sox, then why not do something like this to help out? So when you check out their site, don't let the old pictures and such fool you. They take all their own pictures and stuff, so they'll obviously be out of date. However, if we as fans give the fellas something good to look forward to...maybe that won't help the Sox win the game, but it might help the Cell get a much-appreciated boost from some who's "qualified" to talk about ballparks. And personally...I'd rather read from a guy who's been to all the places than hear someone on the radio call the Cell a "hellhole" and scare off a bunch of potential fans.

doublem23
05-17-2005, 04:44 PM
They haven't been to The Cell in 5 years, but this was actually a very fair review of the place, considering the guys who did it have no real ties to the stadium or the team.

They did rate Wrigley Field #1, but I think the assessment of the Cell was very well researched, written, and unbiased.

Though, it was odd to see them rate Fenway so low, not because I think Fenway isn't an enormous pile of ****, but because Wrigley is just as ****ty, IMO.

batmanZoSo
05-17-2005, 04:53 PM
Though, it was odd to see them rate Fenway so low, not because I think Fenway isn't an enormous pile of ****, but because Wrigley is just as ****ty, IMO.

Hey, he may be primarily a Red Sox fan, but he's a friendly poster and he adds something to the boards. :tongue:

But seriously, I find it odd how everyone here criticizes Fenway the park. I've never been there, but I can tell just by looking at it with all the angles and strange geometry that it's gotta be a pretty cool and unique place to watch a game. I'm sure it's cramped, uncomfortable and run down like Wrigley, but I think it would be a fair trade. As Wrigley goes, I have been there and will be there in a few days, but I just don't see what the hype is all about. It's drab, symmetrical and boring. The ivy is just a joke in my book, I don't think it should be allowed. It's also ugly with the big chainlink fences and crumby looking apartment buildings across the street. And I say all this objectively and (mostly) independent of my Sox ties.

skobabe8
05-17-2005, 05:11 PM
Pretty cool site, and DEFINATELY better than Joe Mock's. I gotta agree with those guys about there rankings for the most part. You can tell they're not influenced by media perceptions. I also have to agree with their assesment of Conseco Fieldhouse. Its a must-see.

Ol' No. 2
05-17-2005, 05:15 PM
I know some of us had bad run-ins with Joe Mock, the author of a website and book describing his tales from various ballparks across the nation. For those of you who don't know the story, some WSIers took umbrage with Mock's comments about U.S. Cellular Field, and challenged him to come back to the place since it was back in the mid 90's when he last visited. Mock basically told those who challenged his opinions to either...

It was pretty much a case of him seemingly disregarding those who disagreed with the commentaries of both the Cell and Wrigley, of which he gave the Urinal one of the highest rankings on his list.

Which brings me to this site...The Ultimate Sports Trip (http://www.thesportsroadtrip.com). It's a site run by a couple of guys from Buffalo, NY who have travelled to every MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL stadium in North America, as well as to some college football, basketball, and minor league facilities. They describe their trips on their site, and rank their experiences at such places using a 5-start system. When it comes to baseball, Wrigley Field is one of the their favorite places, but at teh same time, they're willing to give U.S. Cellular Field another look. They ranked it before the 2000 ALDS vs. Seattle, and gave the place 3 out of 5 stars. I've since e-mailed the guys, and have learned they're coming back to the Cell in August for a re-rank. They've told me they've been passing by the place a lot lately, and have even snuck into the ballpark before the 2003 All-Star-Game...and they're been very impressed with what they've seen.

Brooks Boyer knows about these people and this site...I've told him about it. Brooks told me he, or someone on his staff, would work on trying to coax the guys into a VIP-style welcome to the ballpark. Part of the ranking criteria includes how they're treated by everyone from vendors to front office staff. They've done everything from throw out first pitches of games, ceremonial tip-offs, and interviews with local and national media.

So what am I saying here...maybe if people here at WSI keep writing a note to those fellows (their e-mail address is on the site) and telling them how great U.S. Cellular Field and their staff are, maybe they'd give the place a better-than-expected ranking, and help change the perception of a few people who think the place is as bad as the media has been saying for so long. I know it's not much, but if Brooks Boyer's main challenge as new V.P. of Marketing is to help change "perceptions" of the ballpark and everything associated with the Sox, then why not do something like this to help out? So when you check out their site, don't let the old pictures and such fool you. They take all their own pictures and stuff, so they'll obviously be out of date. However, if we as fans give the fellas something good to look forward to...maybe that won't help the Sox win the game, but it might help the Cell get a much-appreciated boost from some who's "qualified" to talk about ballparks. And personally...I'd rather read from a guy who's been to all the places than hear someone on the radio call the Cell a "hellhole" and scare off a bunch of potential fans. I don't understand. If they're trying to rank the park, why go in with the VIP treatment? That's not too relevant for most people. If it were me, I'd try to go in as a regular fan.

nasox
05-17-2005, 06:34 PM

Which brings me to this site...The Ultimate Sports Trip (http://www.thesportsroadtrip.com/). It's a site run by a couple of guys from Buffalo, NY who have travelled to every MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL stadium in North America, as well as to some college football, basketball, and minor league facilities. They describe their trips on their site, and rank their experiences at such places using a 5-start system. When it comes to baseball, Wrigley Field is one of the their favorite places, but at teh same time, they're willing to give U.S. Cellular Field another look. They ranked it before the 2000 ALDS vs. Seattle, and gave the place 3 out of 5 stars. I've since e-mailed the guys, and have learned they're coming back to the Cell in August for a re-rank. They've told me they've been passing by the place a lot lately, and have even snuck into the ballpark before the 2003 All-Star-Game...and they're been very impressed with what they've seen.

So what am I saying here...maybe if people here at WSI keep writing a note to those fellows (their e-mail address is on the site) and telling them how great U.S. Cellular Field and their staff are, maybe they'd give the place a better-than-expected ranking, and help change the perception of a few people who think the place is as bad as the media has been saying for so long. I know it's not much, but if Brooks Boyer's main challenge as new V.P. of Marketing is to help change "perceptions" of the ballpark and everything associated with the Sox, then why not do something like this to help out? So when you check out their site, don't let the old pictures and such fool you. They take all their own pictures and stuff, so they'll obviously be out of date. However, if we as fans give the fellas something good to look forward to...maybe that won't help the Sox win the game, but it might help the Cell get a much-appreciated boost from some who's "qualified" to talk about ballparks. And personally...I'd rather read from a guy who's been to all the places than hear someone on the radio call the Cell a "hellhole" and scare off a bunch of potential fans.

I posted about this site about a year ago. It's a really cool site, and they did a fantastic trip over four years. I wish I could do that. I actually emailed the guys awhile ago, and told them of the improvements that have been going on. They are really friendly, and I hope to meet them this summer when they visit in August. And Doublem, that actually will be their third trip to the cell, first in game one of the ALDS in 2000, and then in 2003 they visited.

I have to say, being from Buffalo, they really know what it is like to be considered "second class sports fans." But they are really nice guys, and I encourage all of WSI to write an email.

Once again, real sports fans, and really nice guys.

maurice
05-17-2005, 06:36 PM
How about visiting all MLB stadiums by bike (http://www.i-hi.com/charlie/journals.htm)?

Ventura Fan 23
05-17-2005, 06:42 PM
They need to re-visit the United Center

Fenway
05-17-2005, 07:16 PM
Though, it was odd to see them rate Fenway so low, not because I think Fenway isn't an enormous pile of ****

:o:

Fenway has it's problems but honestly how can they give it the same ranking as that horror show in South St Pete??????

they did nail the new Garden however
TD BANKNORTH GARDEN
BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS
BOSTON BRUINS
Set atop the North Station and built next to the old Boston Gardens, streets around here are congested and
the mess from the "Big Dig" is taking years to clean up. Really nice sports Hall of Fame rings the entire club
level concourse. Otherwise, about the most plain jane new facility we've seen

and they had kind words about good ol Foxboro Stadium:tongue:
FOXBORO STADIUM NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION (MLS)
Admittedly we did not see this venue for a Patriots game. We were at Fenway and the MLS New England
Revolution were playing that night so we thought we'd check the place out. Boy, what a crummy stadium!
Traffic pattern is one road in and out. The stadium is as basic as you could get in the NFL... bleacher style
seating on either side, spilling out into one concourse which was little more than blacktop and cheesy
chain link fencing. Nothing in terms of amenities for fans, but at least they do have indoor plumbing!
Gratefully, this venue has seen its final event and has been demolished