PDA

View Full Version : Konerko's contract

bigredrudy
05-17-2005, 03:39 PM
According to Levine the Sox have tried to approch Konerko's agents about an extension on two occasions but Konerko's agents have declined to get involved in negotiations. This seems to contradict Konerko's public statements about wanting to stay with the Sox.

BRDSR
05-17-2005, 03:45 PM
According to Levine the Sox have tried to approch Konerko's agents about an extension on two occasions but Konerko's agents have declined to get involved in negotiations. This seems to contradict Konerko's public statements about wanting to stay with the Sox.

If Konerko continues to bat below .200 his agent(s) will be serving lobster to anyone who wants to talk about signing him.

DickAllen72
That was last year and again early this spring, according to Levine.

Anyway, if Paulie will sign a three year deal at a home town discount of say $5-6million/yr. go for it.

Otherwise, bye bye Paulie. He's not worth the risk of a longer term contract and he's already making more than he's worth.

BTW, he will start hitting like he always does. Still it's three years at $15-18million or "so long".

balke
Could be because his #'s are in the toilet, and negotiators have him by the cajones right now. It would only seem fishy to me if he were hitting .400 with 15 HR's, 30 RBI and said he doesn't want to negotiate. He'd be lucky to rake 4.4 mil for next season from the organization right now.

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2005, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't re-sign him this year, and instead pursue a trade for Helton or Huff. If nothing materializes with either, judging from the stellar prospective 2005-06 free agent crop, offer him a two-year deal worth $8M total, with a team option for a third. As much of a great guy as he is, Paulie is just not getting it done. I really hope I'm wrong, though, and he goes out and hits .350 with 40 taters the rest of the year just to make me look like a dumbass. Maybe he'll steal 30 bases, too.

Palpidious
05-17-2005, 03:52 PM
there is no way that the sox should extend him if they pay more than 4-5 mil a year. the man has been waaaay to inconsistant in his career. you never know what you're gonna get.

Ol' No. 2
05-17-2005, 03:57 PM
The Sox have a bunch of 1B prospects in the minors, but all are ETA 2007. You're not going to get Konerko for $5M. At best it's going to be 3 yrs at $8M per. Unless he breaks out big-time, I'd cut him loose, sign a journeyman 1B to a 1-2 yr deal and invest the money elsewhere. The possibilities are endless.

LVSoxFan
05-17-2005, 04:15 PM
Am I the only one thinking it's a bit premature to sell off old Paulie six weeks into the season, because he's in a slump?

jshanahanjr
05-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Like they say your not as good as you are when things are going well, and not as bad when there bad. Offer Paulie what ever a .275, 30 HR, 90 RBI guy gets these days because that's what he is. He is a good club house guy, and is never on the DL.

MRKARNO
05-17-2005, 04:25 PM
:brucelevine
"Frank Thomas will be out until July. Believe me, I heard it three weeks ago from a reputable source."

jackbrohamer
05-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Am I the only one thinking it's a bit premature to sell off old Paulie six weeks into the season, because he's in a slump?

Konerko has demonstrated that he can slump for 2-3 months.

Ol' No. 2
05-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Konerko has demonstrated that he can slump for 2-3 months.No, he hasn't. And before you respond with the usual pre- and post-All star splits, look at the month-by-month splits.

Cubsuck_a_lot
05-17-2005, 04:41 PM

no you are not. in another 6 weeks he'll be hitting and these posts will quickly turn to "sign him NOW!"

however, given the particular player we are discussing, i dunno if this is that far-fetched. he'll have a stretch of good, then a huge stretch of bad, and so on and so on. yes, every player has his slumping moments and needs to work to get out of them. but it seems like this is waaaaay too recurring for me to feel comfortable in tying up huge sums of money in him. i REALLY like the idea of attaining Helton. one of my favorite current players in the MLB. maybe our love for Paulie should take a back-seat for what's good for the game. but, as im sure someone will say, it's early in the season and Paulie's been known to break out of slumps HUGE.

ExpoPuddingHead
05-17-2005, 04:42 PM
I don't think you can judge Konerko until Thomas is back in the lineup. Remember until this year he has had guys like Lee, Frank and Mags in the lineup to protect him, now the only guy he's got is Dye. Also remember he was hot at the beginning of the season, this slump is very bad but you shouldn't get down on Konerko unless he's still at the Mendoza line in July.

An interesting Side note. there is a matter of debate about the mendoza line. One guy named mendoza had a carreer average of .215 and was better known. However a lesser known mendoza batted .185. Therefore in my opinion the Mendoza line is not based on only one of them but it's the average of two mendozas.

Paulwny
05-17-2005, 04:52 PM
The sox are paying Konerko quite a bit of money for a player who can't put up numbers unless he has protection all around him in the batting order.

Infallible
05-17-2005, 04:59 PM

have you looked at his 2003 numbers? See the correlation? For the amount of money he's making there shouldn't be ANY every other seasons or prolonged 30+game slumps batting BELOW .200. If he requires the protection of Mags or CLee or the big hurt, whats the point in paying him that much if he's not really that good with the stick? Defensively he has one of the most limited ranges in the history of baseball so all he has is his hitting, and leaving guys on base over and over and over in scoring position costs us games and money.

JB98
05-17-2005, 05:14 PM
The sox are paying Konerko quite a bit of money for a player who can't put up numbers unless he has protection all around him in the batting order.

ROTFLMAO

Paulie can't put up numbers? Despite this horrible slump, he is on pace for 37 HR and 112 RBIs. I think most of us would take that.

batmanZoSo
05-17-2005, 05:19 PM
ROTFLMAO

Paulie can't put up numbers? Despite this horrible slump, he is on pace for 37 HR and 112 RBIs. I think most of us would take that.

Yes, .198 with 37 homers and 112 rbi. He won't drive in 80 if he keeps hitting like this, those projections are skewed because he started out hot in the long ball department. Of course he's gonna end up higher than .194, but still...this has happened three or four too many times in my opinion.

Paulwny
05-17-2005, 05:19 PM
ROTFLMAO

So would I, but the way he's swinging lately I'll be happy with half those numbers.

southsideirish71
05-17-2005, 05:24 PM
ROTFLMAO

Rob Deer .198 with a lot of dongs. Kewl

JB98
05-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Yes, .198 with 37 homers and 112 rbi. He won't drive in 80 if he keeps hitting like this, those projections are skewed because he started out hot in the long ball department. Of course he's gonna end up higher than .194, but still...this has happened three or four too many times in my opinion.

He'll get hot again. Don't worry.

owensmouth
05-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Yes, .198 with 37 homers and 112 rbi. He won't drive in 80 if he keeps hitting like this, those projections are skewed because he started out hot in the long ball department. Of course he's gonna end up higher than .194, but still...this has happened three or four too many times in my opinion.Actually, it's happened every May. He always bats poorly in May. God knows why, but Paulie always looks miserable in May. In 2003, he just never got going. In the other years, he bounced back to hit between .277 and .304.

jackbrohamer
05-17-2005, 06:27 PM
No, he hasn't. And before you respond with the usual pre- and post-All star splits, look at the month-by-month splits.

I've never posted a "pre- and post-All star split" so I don't have a "usual" anything on the subject. But I would call this is a 3-month slump:

Apr. 2003: .238 2HR 8RBI
May 2003: .181 1HR 7RBI
Jun. 2003: .098 0HR 2RBI

PaleHoseGeorge
05-17-2005, 06:33 PM
Rob Deer .198 with a lot of dongs. Kewl

I've heard that comparision somewhere before.
:wink:

BTW, Rob Deer sucked, too.
:cool:

Randar68
05-17-2005, 06:51 PM

Bottom line: You cannot pay a player as much as they do Konerko and have him penciled in as your #4 hitter if he's going to go through multi-month slumps that drag the entire offense and heart of the order into the crapper.

When you build your offense around certain players, you need to know they will produce, and produce "regularly". Konerko has shown to be extremely prone to 2-3 month slumps where he can't hit above the mendoza line. That is patently unacceptable.

I'd take a .270-30-95 player who does so consistently over a guy like Konerko 7 days a week and twice on Sundays if it was a question of a player I was depending on in the middle of my order.

Don't get me started on the human traffic jam on the bases either... :rolleyes:

LuvSox
05-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Gotta be the only team in MLB with a #4 hitter @ .190. Adios.

JRIG
05-17-2005, 07:58 PM
I've heard that comparision somewhere before.
:wink:

BTW, Rob Deer sucked, too.
:cool:

I don't know. I look at Konerko and see Steve Balboni. :wink:

Signing him would be a huge waste of dollars. And yes, I would have said the same thing last year. And in 2003.

Bisco Stu
05-17-2005, 09:15 PM
I'd say PK has become the 21st Century Dave Kingman...but that'd be an insult to King Kong.

We're NOT winning a pennant/WS with a 1B who hits .197 (oh, he just fouled out to the catcher, so I guess it's even lower) and has sporadic power at best.

I like PK as a person/teammate, but it's just not working.

So, what's the answer?

Trade?

Hurt?

What?

doublem23
05-17-2005, 09:38 PM
His contract is up at the end of the year.

SouthSide4Life
05-17-2005, 09:39 PM
All i can say is Ross get well soon big guy... lets give Paulie some much needed rest.

Iguana775
05-17-2005, 09:41 PM
what happened to the over stock of 1B/DH type of players? can't we call up someone to give Paulie a night off or 2? he is struggling big time.

kj.hayes
05-17-2005, 09:42 PM
I like PK as a person/teammate, but it's just not working.

Agreed. I keep waiting for the big delivery, but it seems like this season has been more than a few disappointments from Konerko. And goodness knows we could use a power hitter.

PicktoCLick72
05-17-2005, 10:11 PM
How bout we give Paulie a little mre time before we want to get rid of him. It shhould make people feel good that he is not hitting and the Sox are still winning.

Infallible
05-17-2005, 10:23 PM
How bout we give Paulie a little mre time before we want to get rid of him. It shhould make people feel good that he is not hitting and the Sox are still winning.

yeah but if he was hitting well, we'd still be winning and be that much better. I'm not sure how you can correlate PK's attrocious performance with the Sox winning.

mandmandm
05-17-2005, 10:29 PM
I was at the game and crossed paths with KW when he courted Maggs in centerfield last year. KW bailed on Maggs and hopefully will bail on long term talks with headcase PK. Nice guy, good Sox PR person, but soft when it comes to being clutch #4 guy. Use the money to insure Frank finishes his career with the Sox and have Gload as the 1st baseman.

HomeFish
05-17-2005, 10:32 PM
This is the way Paulie is. He has one absolutely terrible half-season and one half-season where he puts up All-Star numbers.

This team clearly isn't in desperate need of All-Star Paulie at this time. He'll be useful later in the year if he indeed comes.

nccwsfan
05-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Let him work it out. There are still 120+ games left in the season, and it's reasonable to think he can put together a decent streak somewhere. No need to trade him or give up on him in mid May- there is just too much baseball left to be played.

We can deal with the rest in the offseason. It all depends on what he's looking to get from the organization....

I_Liked_Manuel
05-17-2005, 10:37 PM
i know carl's not a great fielder, but could he handle first base?

SluggersAway
05-17-2005, 10:37 PM
PK will start hitting when it gets warmer outside. The problem is if/when the Sox make it to the post season and the temperature dips will he also have another cold spell?

chisoxfan64
05-17-2005, 10:38 PM
While Paulies performance has been aggravating, I think its a little early to talk about trading him or giving up on him. He has gotten some good wood on the ball and some of the shots should start gettin through for hits.

Bisco Stu
05-17-2005, 10:51 PM
Aight, I'm-a try to be a cool guy and let some of you convince me. I'll chill on PK.

But he needs to drive in more runs with runners in scoring position, even if we have to settle for a .200 average.

Deadguy
05-17-2005, 10:52 PM
This team clearly isn't in desperate need of All-Star Paulie at this time. He'll be useful later in the year if he indeed comes.

Absolute nonsense. We don't have time to wait for Konerko to break out of a slump, especially if it is an 81 game slide.

He's suppose to be the anchor of this offense.

In 2003, he wasn't even the 2nd most important guy in the lineup, and he still fell flat on his face, and possibly cost us a playoff appearance.

Now it is more essential than ever for this clown to get his act together, because he is supposed to be the best hitter on the team right now. Right now, he is just an embarassment.

Every game is important, regardless of how far ahead the Twins the Sox are at the moment. The Sox had a 2 game lead in September of 2003, and we ended up losing the division by 4 games. We need production NOW.

JB98
05-17-2005, 11:32 PM
Paulie will be fine once Frank gets back. I'm surprised people are ready to give up on player that hit 41 HRs for us last season. He's going to be OK, and once he breaks out, I'll be the first one to say, "I told you so."

Ross Gload as a full-time player? Carl Everett at first? We're just full of stupid ideas tonight.

voodoochile
05-17-2005, 11:38 PM
This is the way Paulie is. He has one absolutely terrible half-season and one half-season where he puts up All-Star numbers.

I cannot believe that Homefish and I agree on something...

PK generally has one good half per year. If the Sox are this far in first with PK in the crapper and Big Frank not even playing, think how good the team is going to be come July...

seanpmurphy
05-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Carl Everett at 1B? :kukoo:
I'm not getting down on PK yet. His average sucks, and he's striking out more than I'd like to see, but you can't argue with his RBI production. Also, the man does draw a fair share of walks. If he can't hit to get on, at least he is walking.

After reading these boards for a few weeks now, I can tell as soon as Paulie gets better, or God forbid, goes on a tear, everyone is going to be lauding him as the greatest thing ever. If getting down on a player is what it takes for some of you, so be it....I'm at least going to wait till All-Star break and for what the effect Hurt is going to have on his performance.

JB98
05-17-2005, 11:44 PM
I cannot believe that Homefish and I agree on something...

PK generally has one good half per year. If the Sox are this far in first with PK in the crapper and Big Frank not even playing, think how good the team is going to be come July...

I don't think we can underestimate how much Frank is going to help this team. The media will say he is going to destroy team chemistry. I say he is the missing piece we need in order to maintain our division lead. His presence in the lineup changes everything. Pods and Iguchi will see more pitches to hit. He'll work the count and wear down the opposing pitcher. He'll take his walks. That will help the guys behind him, like Paulie.

SOXfnNlansing
05-17-2005, 11:47 PM
PK will start hitting when it gets warmer outside. The problem is if/when the Sox make it to the post season and the temperature dips will he also have another cold spell? Isn't it cold in October?

JB98
05-18-2005, 12:03 AM
Isn't it cold in October?

It's warmer in October than it is in April.

Plus, if we make the playoffs, we'll have all day games. We aren't marquee enough to play in prime time.

Randar68
05-18-2005, 12:12 AM
I don't think we can underestimate how much Frank is going to help this team. The media will say he is going to destroy team chemistry. I say he is the missing piece we need in order to maintain our division lead. His presence in the lineup changes everything. Pods and Iguchi will see more pitches to hit. He'll work the count and wear down the opposing pitcher. He'll take his walks. That will help the guys behind him, like Paulie.

Paying a guy 8 million bucks to anchor your offense and hit fourth and he can't hit unless Frank is in the lineup? Frank is going to be slow enough on the bases, but I bet he can still beat out Konerko in a foot race.

Let me know when Konerko's "second half" starts, because this one is god-awful.

Kenny, go out and get Todd Helton. Whatever you gotta do, if you can turn Konerko/Dye and their short contracts + a couple prospects (not Anderson/BMac) into Helton+cash, I'll worship at your altar for all eternity.

chisoxfanatic
05-18-2005, 12:13 AM
i know carl's not a great fielder, but could he handle first base?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Put Ozuna there in a pinch...Put Gload there when he gets recovered...But do NOT play Everett there!!! He can only play the OF in a PINCH, so how do you expect him to play somewhere where he'd commit an error on every single play?

But, all of these bad feelings aside, I really think PK will turn it around when it gets warmer out. He's usually played outstanding in the warmer months...

Randar68
05-18-2005, 12:17 AM
I really think PK will turn it around when it gets warmer out. He's usually played outstanding in the warmer months...

The worst thing about depending on Paul Konerko is that the minute you do, he disappears for months at a shot. What's the point? He isn't signed past this year, get him outta here, ASAP, he's killing us...

voodoochile
05-18-2005, 12:23 AM
The worst thing about depending on Paul Konerko is that the minute you do, he disappears for months at a shot. What's the point? He isn't signed past this year, get him outta here, ASAP, he's killing us...

yeah, killing us to the tune of 28-12 :rolleyes:

chisoxfanatic
05-18-2005, 12:40 AM

Brace yourself...Frank's gonna be back soon, and then we'll have our plug on that main spot on the lineup. Perhaps Frank's return may improve PK's hitting as well...Stranger things have happened in the past...

TheOldRoman
05-18-2005, 12:40 AM
Ross Gload as a full-time player? We're just full of stupid ideas tonight.
Tell me about it. I would HATE to see a gold glove caliber 1B who hits over .300 play every day.

seanpmurphy
05-18-2005, 12:57 AM
yeah, killing us to the tune of 28-12 :rolleyes:

ewww, who needs those 9 home runs and 28 RBIs either?

Enough Paulie bashing already!

IowaSox1971
05-18-2005, 02:01 AM
Konerko is still in pace to hit 36 homers and drive in more than 100 runs. A lot of guys have slow starts before getting things going and having good seasons.

HomeFish
05-18-2005, 02:07 AM
Absolute nonsense. We don't have time to wait for Konerko to break out of a slump, especially if it is an 81 game slide.

He's suppose to be the anchor of this offense.

In 2003, he wasn't even the 2nd most important guy in the lineup, and he still fell flat on his face, and possibly cost us a playoff appearance.

Now it is more essential than ever for this clown to get his act together, because he is supposed to be the best hitter on the team right now. Right now, he is just an embarassment.

Every game is important, regardless of how far ahead the Twins the Sox are at the moment. The Sox had a 2 game lead in September of 2003, and we ended up losing the division by 4 games. We need production NOW.

In 2003, the White Sox got off to a slow start in large part because Konerko, Buehrle, and Colon started off the year terrible. All of them improved dramatically after the All-Star break, and despite their terrible start, that Sox team went on to briefly contend.

The situation here is different; unlike the 2003 Sox, the 2005 Sox got off to a hot start, and another bunch of players, also led by Konerko, have terrible starts. All I'm saying is that if in 2003 Konerko et al. got their act together and made that 2003 team a near-contender, imagine what they can do to this team if they get hot, because it's got a much better leadoff.

If it is a law of nature that Konerko must have one half good and one half bad, I would prefer that good half to be the second half, especially if the team can get off to a hot start without him.

Iguana775
05-18-2005, 07:02 AM
Since when did Gload become a gold glove 1B? did i miss something. what makes anyone think that he can be a good EVERYDAY 1B? I think he's a good bench guy but not sure why everyone has a chubby for him.

nccwsfan
05-18-2005, 07:12 AM
After reading these boards for a few weeks now, I can tell as soon as Paulie gets better, or God forbid, goes on a tear, everyone is going to be lauding him as the greatest thing ever. If getting down on a player is what it takes for some of you, so be it....I'm at least going to wait till All-Star break and for what the effect Hurt is going to have on his performance.

:rowand :jon

Sometimes we (as fans) speak too soon....

There are 122 games left in the season, and I don't see any reason why we need to jump ship on PK (yet). This is a much more valid argument in July than it is in May.

balke
05-18-2005, 09:01 AM
Since when did Gload become a gold glove 1B? did i miss something. what makes anyone think that he can be a good EVERYDAY 1B? I think he's a good bench guy but not sure why everyone has a chubby for him.

At least last season, you gotta hand it to the guy. Gload made some great grabs at 1B. Paulie has a good glove when the ball comes to him, he just doesn't have much range. GLoad can get to balls Paulie can't, and makes some good diving stops up the middle.

There's not good evidence Gload is an everday 1B. But what he shows in relief situations looks great. It wouldn't be the biggest horror show to me if PK went down, and Gload had to fill in all season for him.

Frater Perdurabo
05-18-2005, 09:57 AM
I think what many of the "PK-bashers" are arguing is that the blind love of PK is completely irrational.

PK gets a free pass, while Crede was crucified when he sucked.:nuts:

Some people even think PK is a better option than Frank! :kukoo:

If Paulie needs Frank in the lineup to put up decent numbers, then he's a role player, not a star. A role player who only plays 1B is not worth $8 million per year.

AJ friggin Pierzynski is producing much better than Konerko right now, and he's helped the pitchers as well. (Can't argue with the team ERA.) The only thing that keeps Paulie from being totally exposed as dead weight in this donut-shaped offense (Hangar's term, not mine) has been Dye's abject worthlessness. "Teflon" Paulie should buy Dye a beer. The offense manages to score enough runs to win most games in spite of Konerko, not because of him.

Few things would make me happier than to see Paulie break out of his slump and hit .350 with 35 homers the rest of the year. Until it happens, though, I'm riding shotgun on Randar's "Trade or Bench Paul Konerko Club" bandwagon.

And unless he's willing to sign for about $4 million per year, the Sox should NOT attempt to re-sign him this offseason.

Frater Perdurabo
05-18-2005, 09:58 AM
It wouldn't be the biggest horror show to me if PK went down, and Gload had to fill in all season for him.

I would never wish an injury on anyone for any reason whatsoever. :tsk:

ondafarm
05-18-2005, 10:03 AM
I would never wish an injury on anyone for any reason whatsoever. :tsk:

Mark this date down: I completely agree with the last statement by Frater.

Flight #24
05-18-2005, 10:09 AM
There's 2 things here IMO.

1) This season: I think you give Paulie a chance to turn things around with Frank back. If he can get back to his .260-.280, 35+HR pace, the offense will be just fine. That doesn't mean you can't improve it to be really good, but he won't be a hole/problem. In the meantime, initiate evaluation/discussions for alternate options so that if he's not turning it around a couple weeks into Frank's comeback you can pull the trigger on something.

2) Future seasons: I think Paulie's already sealed his fate unless he's willing to take a paycut. I could possibly see KW giving him a 1-year arbitration deal and overpaying him but short term until we have a prospect reeady to come up (Sweeney?).

However, both of these issues are resolved in a trade for Helton+cash. Make this team a top WS contender this year, increase the attendance boost we're already getting, and give you a long-term offensive cornerstone (albiet an expensive one).

tstrike2000
05-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Unless Paulie can not have a huge dropoff during one of the halves of the season, he'll be lucky to make half of what he makes here right now. He's the prototypical first baseman who has power, can't run and can't really play any other position. But with a history of only really tearing it up during one half of the season, let his agents talk to someone else if they don't want to talk about an extension with us and see what other suckers want to pay.

Deadguy
05-18-2005, 10:27 AM

Hooray!

I can't believe the White Sox want to saddle themselves down with this glorified Brian Daubach to another terrible contract. Get us a real first baseman, not some doofus who folds under any minimal type of pressure.

veeter
05-18-2005, 10:29 AM
Could be because his #'s are in the toilet, and negotiators have him by the cajones right now. It would only seem fishy to me if he were hitting .400 with 15 HR's, 30 RBI and said he doesn't want to negotiate. He'd be lucky to rake 4.4 mil for next season from the organization right now. Konerko is on pace to hit 36 homers and drive in 113 runs. Some toilet.

Deadguy
05-18-2005, 10:35 AM
ROTFLMAO

Just about anyone batting cleanup in this lineup would have as many RBIs, if not more than Konerko has right now. It's because Pods and Iguchi are doing their jobs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/batting?team=chw&season=2005&split=39&seasonType=2&type=reg

Konerko has had 58 PAs with RISP, by far the most on the team, and 2nd in the league. He's hitting just .180 with RISP. Stick just about anyone else in the cleanup spot, besides Dye, and they'd have just as many, if not more RBIs.

Hence, Konerko is easilly replaceable, and should be cut loose to any team dumb enough to sign him.

mdep524
05-18-2005, 10:40 AM
Konerko is easilly replaceable, and should be cut loose to any team dumb enough to sign him. That's just it- Paulie is EASILY replaceable. There are so many other options the Sox could go- Helton, Huff, Rogowski, Sweeney, Gload as a stopgap.... there is no justifiable reason to give Konerko an $8 million/year contract, even if he heats up a bit. I like him, but he's not a consistent, well-rounded producer worthy of top dollar at 1B.

voodoochile
05-18-2005, 10:48 AM
That's just it- Paulie is EASILY replaceable. There are so many other options the Sox could go- Helton, Huff, Rogowski, Sweeney, Gload as a stopgap.... there is no justifiable reason to give Konerko an $8 million/year contract, even if he heats up a bit. I like him, but he's not a consistent, well-rounded producer worthy of top dollar at 1B.

I would love to have Sweeney. Is he a FA?

mdep524
05-18-2005, 11:00 AM
I would love to have Sweeney. Is he a FA? Well, you've got Mike Sweeney tearing it up in Kansas City right now, who will likely be dangled at the trade deadline. Then you've got Ryan Sweeney hitting a ton in AA Birmingham, still a few years away from the big leagues, who has the potential to play 1B, especially given the Sox crowded OF situation.

voodoochile
05-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Well, you've got Mike Sweeney tearing it up in Kansas City right now, who will likely be dangled at the trade deadline. Then you've got Ryan Sweeney hitting a ton in AA Birmingham, still a few years away from the big leagues, who has the potential to play 1B, especially given the Sox crowded OF situation.

I was referring to Mike. OF won't be that crowded. Dye and Everett won't be around next year. That frees up a spot for either Anderson or Ryan Sweeney if one of them is ready.

Lip Man 1
05-18-2005, 11:29 AM
A few points.

If this wasn't already brought up (and if so I apologize) Konerko's contract situation is discussed in detail in I think, the Southtown.

That story contradicts Levine's comments (big surprise) by saying that the Sox told Paul's agents they will discuss a contract extension in the off season.

Mike Sweeney technically is still signed with K.C. but I think he has that clause in his deal about the Royals being a .500 team for it to kick in. I'm sure they will be dangling him come July.

Remember as well Dye signed a two year deal for about five million a season. Unless the Sox are willing to flat out eat that deal or find a team willing to take it on, he'll be here next season.
Lip

jshanahanjr
05-18-2005, 12:14 PM
Mike Sweeney is a stud hitter, but spends quite a bit of time on the DL.

AZChiSoxFan
05-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Konerko is on pace to hit 36 homers and drive in 113 runs. Some toilet.

Yeah, the guy leads the team in Homers and Runs batted in, and is 4th on the team in OBP (among the everyday players). I can't wait to get rid of him. When will people realize that BA is the most overrated stat in all of baseball?

AZChiSoxFan
05-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Well, you've got Mike Sweeney tearing it up in Kansas City right now, who will likely be dangled at the trade deadline. Then you've got Ryan Sweeney hitting a ton in AA Birmingham, still a few years away from the big leagues, who has the potential to play 1B, especially given the Sox crowded OF situation.

Oh.....I thought he was referring to Mark Sweeney of the Padres.

balke
05-18-2005, 01:15 PM
I think Mike Sweeney will end up on the Mets if anywhere, but that's just me.

We are Paul Konerko's White SOx. Even when Frank is here, that is how we are nationally recognized. Before any broadcast, the team is announced as Paul Konerko and the Chicago White Sox. He lives in Chicago. He loves Chicago. He hits the ball far. I think we'll hang on to him for a while.