PDA

View Full Version : Early White Sox All-Stars....

WhiteSoxFan84
05-17-2005, 01:42 PM
After a month and a half, which White Sox players do you see in the 2005 All-Star game in Detroit?

Here are the players I'm pretty sure will get in or at least should get in;

Jon Garland - Best pitcher in AL right now, should probably be starting the damn thing
Dustin Hermanson - 18+ IP w/o yielding a run? easily gets in
Mark Buehrle - 6-1 with a solid ERA and he's a Terry Francona kinda guy, came in with no hype and has been a workhorse all his career
Tadahito Iguchi - Is there anyone better than this guy at 2B? defensively and offensively?
Scott Podsednik - 23 SBs and we're not even 1/4 of the way through the year? he's on pace for over 92 SBs! .277 BA and .387 OBP are pretty solid as well.

Players that should get at least some consideration;
Cliff Politte - 21 K, 5 BBs, in 15 1/3, 1.17 ERA, just 5 hits in those 15+ IP???
Damaso Marte - i want to choke him after last night, but he's still got somewhat decent numbers. his walks (12 in 15 IP) are way too high though
Orlando Hernandez (last night's start didn't help his cause at all but he still has 5 wins and a sub-4.00 ERA)

doublem23
05-17-2005, 01:45 PM
I doubt we'll get more than 2 guys.

Rocky Soprano
05-17-2005, 01:51 PM
We better have Garland and Iguchi AT LEAST.

TaylorStSox
05-17-2005, 01:52 PM
After a month and a half, which White Sox players do you see in the 2005 All-Star game in Detroit?

Jon Garland - Best pitcher in AL right now, should probably be starting the damn thing
Mark Buehrle - 6-1 with a solid ERA and he's a Terry Francona kinda guy, came in with no hype and has been a workhorse all his career
Tadahito Iguchi - Is there anyone better than this guy at 2B? defensively and offensively?
Scott Podsednik - 23 SBs and we're not even 1/4 of the way through the year? he's on pace for over 92 SBs! .277 BA and .387 OBP are pretty solid as well.

Cliff Politte - 21 K, 5 BBs, in 15 1/3, 1.17 ERA, just 5 hits in those 15+ IP???
Damaso Marte - i want to choke him after last night, but he's still got somewhat decent numbers. his walks (12 in 15 IP) are way too high though
Orlando Hernandez (last night's start didn't help his cause at all but he still has 5 wins and a sub-4.00 ERA)

Marte's ERA is so misleading. His WHIP is absurd. There's no way he deserves to get in. How many relievers do you think they'll take?

aniceItch
05-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Garland - In

Hermanson - I dont know how you can not give up a run and not get in?

Iguchi - Would be a shame if he kept his numbers up and wasnt an all-star. Only 2nd baseman above him is Brian Roberts. Wouldnt be surprised if someone like Soriano made it above him.

Every year I think Buehrle is an all-star. so yea.

There are too many slugging outfielders..so pods would have to pick up the average in addition to going completely wild on the bases for him to match up with ichiro, damon, guerrero, sheffield, ect.

So. to me? Its Garland and Hermanson.

WhiteSoxFan84
05-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Garland - In

Iguchi - Would be a shame if he kept his numbers up and wasnt an all-star. Only 2nd baseman above him is Brian Roberts. Wouldnt be surprised if someone like Soriano made it above him.

Every year I think Buehrle is an all-star. so yea.

There are too many slugging outfielders..so pods would have to pick up the average in addition to going completely wild on the bases for him to match up with ichiro, damon, guerrero, sheffield, ect.

So. to me? Its Garland and Hermanson.

roberts and soriano are putting up solid offense numbers. roberts is lights out. everyone knows soriano's D is horrible. how is roberts at 2B?

Soxzilla
05-17-2005, 02:49 PM
I'm going to guess Garland will be the only White Sox to make it.

doublem23
05-17-2005, 02:56 PM
roberts and soriano are putting up solid offense numbers. roberts is lights out. everyone knows soriano's D is horrible. how is roberts at 2B?

Nobody ****ing cares about defense, unless you're Torii Hunter and get plastered all over ESPN for your "D."

Don't underestimate the idiocy of the fan voting... Who started at first for the American League last year? Mr. Hitting-.230-at-the-time Jason Giambi. :angry:

I think we'll be able to more accurately postulate Iguchi's chances after the first reports of the fan vote are out. If Roberts is winning 2B for the AL comfortably, then I think he has a shot, but if Soriano is leading in the votes, there's no way Iguchi gets picked over Roberts and I just don't know how many extra spots Francona can give to the American League Central when he's going to field a team with probably 15 Red Sox.

batmanZoSo
05-17-2005, 02:59 PM
I doubt we'll get more than 2 guys.

I really hope Buehrle keeps winning until July, so he gets in. I think it's bullcrap that he's only made it once.

I'd be happy with him and Garland on the squad, and Iguchi's the only hitter that even deserves consideration. He'll have to get hot again and make a good showing for himself.

Flight #24
05-17-2005, 03:01 PM
One factor: Iguchi may get voted in by the Japanese contingent. I'm not guessing they have a lot of love for either Roberts or Soriano.

If not, IMO it'll be Garland, Buehrle, & Hermanson. Garland's the obvious choice. Buehrle's starting to get his due nationally. And Hermanson hasn't been scored on. Iguchi'll lose out to Soriano & Roberts.

Paulwny
05-17-2005, 03:07 PM
One factor: Iguchi may get voted in by the Japanese contingent. I'm not guessing they have a lot of love for either Roberts or Soriano.

If not, IMO it'll be Garland, Buehrle, & Hermanson. Garland's the obvious choice. Buehrle's starting to get his due nationally. And Hermanson hasn't been scored on. Iguchi'll lose out to Soriano & Roberts.

Agree on the pitchers, the only way I see Iguchi getting voted onto the squad, Soriano and Roberts split the US vote and the Japanese vote is greater than the splits.

HebrewHammer
05-17-2005, 04:50 PM
I think Tadahito makes it as a starter off the Japanese vote, that country is extremely nationalistic and I think they flood the ballot box like an old school Chicago election to get him in over Soriano and Roberts.

If Buehrle and Garland aren't all stars I'd be very surprised. I think Francona takes a lot of his own players as position players, but he snubs the Yankees that don't get voted in.

Pods is a big longshot, he'd have to have 50 or 60 SB's at the break to even be considered.

Hermanson also is a longshot because he's not going to have the save totals a lot of guys are going to have, unless he can get into the high teens with his ERA still around zero he's not going to make it.

Soxzilla
05-17-2005, 05:39 PM
I really hope Buehrle keeps winning until July, so he gets in. I think it's bullcrap that he's only made it once.

I'd be happy with him and Garland on the squad, and Iguchi's the only hitter that even deserves consideration. He'll have to get hot again and make a good showing for himself.

That Jose Ooribe guy ain't doin' to bad himself.

the gooch
05-17-2005, 05:50 PM

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_430968.jpg"i'll tell you how"

seriously, didnt shingo retire 29 straight batters last year? he didnt go to the ASG.

iguchi has no shot to be an allstar. after the fans contribute their usual stupidity each year, the players vote on who they want to go. iguchi is a rookie: boston, new york, and los angelheim havent seen him play at all, (los angelheim did only in ST) which also means nobody in the media has seen him play. if iguchi doesnt win the fan voting with the foreign contingent, then there is no way he will get in unless MLB tells francona to pick him to promote the game overseas. selig already has ichiro for that.

A. Cavatica
05-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Garland & Buehrle are very likely, unless one of them loses it completely before Francona selects his staff.

I think Podsednik has a good chance as a reserve, since he's the stolen base leader.

Three Sox is the most I can see going, even if we still have the best record in the bigs -- we just don't have the stars.

If one of the above doesn't make it, then Hermanson has a slim chance, but it's based on remaining unscored-upon. If that ERA gets up to 1.00 then he'll be passed over.

Iguchi has a very slim chance, only because the Japanese vote is a wild card.

Hernandez eliminated himself yesterday.

JRIG
05-17-2005, 08:08 PM

Garland and Buehrle will get very strong consideration. Possibly Iguchi or Hermanson as well. Hermanson would need to keep his ERA under 1.00. Iguchi will be helped by the Japanese vote.

Podsednik has no chance unless his average is about .330. Leading the league in stolen bases doesn't mean ****. It's nice for the Sox and has been helpful, but I don't think anybody cares. Especially when he's got like 2 extra base hits on the season.

Pollitte, Marte, and Hernandez would have to have compromising pictures of Terry Francona to make the squad.

nccwsfan
05-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Garland
Buehrle
hopefully Iguchi

As much as I like the other options on this thread, getting more than 3 players on the AS squad is a tall task...

Cowhead418
05-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Garland
Buehrle
hopefully Iguchi

As much as I like the other options on this thread, getting more than 3 players on the AS squad is a tall task...
Just ask the Indians last year.:angry: How in the hell did they get FIVE players in while us and the Twins only got ONE each?

PicktoCLick72
05-17-2005, 10:48 PM
Dye Crede and konerko are shoe ins.

Hendu
05-17-2005, 11:01 PM
We'd better have at least 3 all-stars with our record.
Garland, Buehrle and Dustin should be locks.

Tadahito deserves to be in as a reserve, as Brian Roberts has been going crazy and will probably get the fan votes (can't argue with his numbers, I guess)

Also, AJ has an outside shot if he has a good month, though Pudge & Mauer will probably be selected.

Pods: no way. I'd love to see him in there, but he has no chance unless he was a middle infielder or center fielder. HR & RBI are expected from the corner guys, Ichiro being the rare exception.

Baby Fisk
05-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Garland and maybe Hermanson (whose exclusion would be an outrage). All other open slots will be stuffed with Carmines. Remember circa 1993 or 1994, Cito Gaston named every Blue Jay to the team he could get away with. Francona will do the same.

mccoydp
05-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Garland, Buerhle, Iguchi, and Hermanson all deserve to be picked this year.

GregoryEtc
05-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Garland and maybe Hermanson (whose exclusion would be an outrage). All other open slots will be stuffed with Carmines. Remember circa 1993 or 1994, Cito Gaston named every Blue Jay to the team he could get away with. Francona will do the same.

Players get votes now too, so Iguchi or Pods or someone else could be voted in by their peers. I think that's how Carl Everett made the team as a White Sox in '03. He was voted in by NL players when he was on Houston. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but the managers don't have as many slots to fill as they used to. They choose the pitching staff and only a couple reserves if memory serves correctly. The rest are voted in by fans and players.

And remember that they have the extra roster spot that they allow fans to vote for that white sox players always get shafted on. We'll probably get a guy on that list.

chisox
05-18-2005, 03:33 PM
i hate to say it but i agree with soxzilla. if the allstar game was tomorrow, garland would more than likely be the only sox who would make it. if pods and tada keep up their numbers they MIGHT have a shot.

ChicagoHoosier
05-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Burlyman is tough to leave out. I think we have at least two guys on the team. But, we've got a ways to go yet. Can Gooch keep it up? If the voting were today, i think Hermy and Gooch both deserve legit shots at it.

SoxSpeed22
05-18-2005, 04:28 PM
i hate to say it but i agree with soxzilla. if the allstar game was tomorrow, garland would more than likely be the only sox who would make it. if pods and tada keep up their numbers they MIGHT have a shot.Popularity wins these kind of things. I think Iguchi can get enough of Japan's votes to be the 32nd guy if he's lucky. Buehrle has done well enough to make it, but this isn't for another 2 months, so a lot could change. However, I guarantee that there will be at least 3 starters on both leagues that don't deserve it.

doublem23
05-18-2005, 11:28 PM
For what it's worth, I just watched a segment of Bruce Levine on Chicago Tribune Live on CSN and he said that Garland and Buehrle are in and that the two position players getting a lot of notice around the league are A.J. Pierzynski for the way he's handled the staff and his recent offensive tear and Tadahito Iguchi. He claimed that while Tadahito may not make the first squad, he wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the first guys to replace someone who develops and injury around the time of the All-Star Game and would need to miss the festivities.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-18-2005, 11:44 PM
If we are talking about who would be an all-star if the game were tomorrow (based upon the first month and a half's stats), Buehrle and Garland have to be in (and will be come July).

There are only three 7-win pitchers in all of the MLB, and these are two of them. Garland has 8, of course. Add to that the Buehrle streak of consecutive games pitched into the 7th and his ERA, and there is no way he can be left off the team. Mark is a pillar of solid consistency.

Our offense doesn't really deserve much consideration at this point, but I agree Iguchi would have to be a close reserve at 2B.

doublem23
05-19-2005, 12:43 AM
Again, take it for what it's worth, John Kruk mentioned on Baseball Tonight, just before midnight that A.J. Pierzynski is making a lot of noise around the league for the way he has handled the pitching staff. It was mentioned when they showed his home run during the show.

Bias
05-19-2005, 08:54 AM

Still a lot of baseball to be played, but I agree with that list. If the All-Star game were next week it would be a travesty if those guys didn't make it...save for Pods. He's solid, but all-star? Not sure.

But if the Sox still have the best record in baseball then no doubt they would deserve a bunch of players on the team and with Joe Torre not being the manager they'd have a much better chance.

I doubt Politte and Marte will even be thought of...how many set up/middle relievers make the all-star team?

pythons007
05-19-2005, 09:33 AM
I'm sorry guys but I feel that we will only get a max of 2 guys on this years ASG. Garland and Buerhle, period. How can you argue with these two, 15-1 with ERA close to 3? If either of these two get left off the roster, the ASG is rigged (unless one just has a meltdown). I also thought last year was an embarrassment when 5 frickin' Indians made the frickin' roster. What kind of BS was that???:angry:

PAPChiSox729
05-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Buehrle and Garland both should make it. If Hermanson keeps his minuscule ERA until the break and racks up a good amount of saves, he could make it too. Position wise, though, is a different story. Pierzynski may get in, but he definitely won't be starting. Pods, who has been the lone run producer at times, won't get in with all of the superstar OF's in the AL. Iguchi will have to pass up Roberts and Soriano which will be a tough task. So my official prediction would have to be: Buehrle, Garland, Hermanson.

MHOUSE
05-19-2005, 04:36 PM
The allstar team is a joke. Every year the same players that have the big names get in and the deserving players get left on the sidelines. Remember last year when like 3 of 5 Jndjan starters made it along with Belliard, Martinez, and I think someone else and our only rep was Loaiza who was having a down year all ready from his 21-win 2004. Then the previous 2 years we had only Buehrle, Loaiza, and Everett IIRC and he had only been on the team for about a week. Iguchi has a legit ROTY shot if he keeps it up, but I won't hold my breath for him to make the allstar team. Don't be surprised if Hermie gets shafted either. Garland might be our only rep.