PDA

View Full Version : Still a Dye Guy!!

05-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Is anyone with me? He is going heat up...hell he has 6 hrs which is respectable at this point...I'm not saying he is going to put up the #'s he did with KC, but I bet you all a beer he matchs last years #'s with Oakland....23hrs, 80 Rbis and .260 avg! He wasn't that expensive...I'll take it a step further and says he has better #'s then Beernuts on the Northside....he wasn't that expensive...look at Seattle paying 64 million for the one year wonder Beltre.

rdwj
05-17-2005, 01:20 PM
Watching the games yesterday, I KNOW Dye would have caught that ball that Timo let go to the wall. That was the difference in the game right there folks!

Dye has made some bonehead mistakes on easy plays, but he can track those balls in the gap down - and that bat is definately coming around.

I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

05-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Watching the games yesterday, I KNOW Dye would have caught that ball that Timo let go to the wall. That was the difference in the game right there folks!

Dye has made some bonehead mistakes on easy plays, but he can track those balls in the gap down - and that bat is definately coming around.

I thought the same thing on that play!

Palpidious
05-17-2005, 01:24 PM
when frank is ready i put crazy carl in right field and sit dye's ass on the bench. i also platoon konerko and gload when gload comes back. batting .200 is unacceptable in the middle of may. our pitching wont hold up like it has all year. and we've seen that lately. we gotta try and win every game, not give guys opportunities to work things out.

jackbrohamer
05-17-2005, 01:28 PM
I think Dye's too young to be washed up, so unless he's injured he should start hitting much better.

D. TODD
05-17-2005, 01:28 PM
I think he will be solid this year, if he avoids injury. Paulie concerns me a bit more then Dye. Hopefully Big Frank comes back strong to make both Dye & Konerko less vital.

TaylorStSox
05-17-2005, 01:53 PM

He might not have caught it, but he would have taken a better route. He would have cut the ball off before it got to the wall and not allowed that run to score.

DaveIsHere
05-17-2005, 01:56 PM
I still have faith, for another weeek anyway, I keep plugging him in on my fanatasy hoping for a breakout soon.

Hangar18
05-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Is anyone with me? He is going heat up...hell he has 6 hrs which is respectable at this point...I'm not saying he is going to put up the #'s he did with KC, but I bet you all a beer he matchs last years #'s with Oakland....23hrs, 80 Rbis and .260 avg! He wasn't that expensive...I'll take it a step further and says he has better #'s then Beernuts on the Northside....he wasn't that expensive...look at Seattle paying 64 million for the one year wonder Beltre.

Jermaine is a really nice guy ....... and it would be awesome if he somehow,
someway turned it around ........

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Jermaine is a really nice guy ....... and it would be awesome if he somehow,
someway turned it around ........

I agree 100%. The best scenario would be for Konerko and Dye to start hitting lights-out for power and high average, negating any need for mid-season help. So far, it hasn't happened.

NorthlakeTom
05-17-2005, 02:52 PM
when frank is ready i put crazy carl in right field and sit dye's ass on the bench. i also platoon konerko and gload when gload comes back. batting .200 is unacceptable in the middle of may. our pitching wont hold up like it has all year. and we've seen that lately. we gotta try and win every game, not give guys opportunities to work things out.
Explain this logic, please.

Why is it that the pitching can't remain excellent, but Dye and Konerko must remain poor? On what do you base these assertions?

balke
05-17-2005, 03:02 PM
I said I'd give Dye about 30 games into the season before I'd bash him. He sucks. I could only support him if he raises his average to at least .260 by the break, and doesn't get more than one more error this season. Until then, we might as well have put Valenstache in RF.

SoxSpeed22
05-17-2005, 03:04 PM
He's a second half guy. He should be fine.

Bobbo35
05-17-2005, 03:05 PM

I am with you too on that. He can play and has shown it in certain instances. He will come around.

MRKARNO
05-17-2005, 03:07 PM

Actually, April has been his best month in his career thus far, with a .829 career April OPS. He has had dropoffs in May (.771 career OPS) and June (.737 career), but his career OPS in July-Sept is pretty close to .800 exactly.

But that doesnt mean that he cant turn it on starting tomorrow. Let's hope he can.

jeremydavid
05-17-2005, 03:07 PM
I would have faith if Dye didn't look like a complete waste of time at the plate. He loves striking out, he never battles, he hits weak grounders. It is all a by-product of his ugly long swing. Watch the other SOX tonight particularly Uribe/Rowand. Their swings are short/compact letting them conserve time and not wiff all the time.

If Dye comes around I will eat crow but as far as I am concerned he can be a $5 million dollar bat boy next year. I'd rather play Gload and Everett. That's saying a lot seeing how terrible their defensive "skills" are.

batmanZoSo
05-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Actually, April has been his best month in his career thus far, with a .829 career April OPS. He has had dropoffs in May (.771 career OPS) and June (.737 career), but his career OPS in July-Sept is pretty close to .800 exactly.

But that doesnt mean that he cant turn it on starting tomorrow. Let's hope he can.

I don't know why he's so crappy because he's only 31 or so. I remember he broke his leg in the playoffs in 2001 or 2002, but he hasn't had any Frank or Magglio type injuries has he?

NorthlakeTom
05-17-2005, 03:31 PM
Let's look at this objectively, from Kenny's point of view, from the start of the season.

2004 stats (BA, OBP, SLG, HR, RBI):

Dye .265 .329 .464 23 80

Valentin .216 .287 .473 30 70

I don't know what Valentin signed for, but it has to be more than Dye (Jose made $5M last year). From KW's position, the move was smart. The season will bear this out or it won't, but I think Dye was meant to replace Valentin's production more than anything else.

DickAllen72
05-17-2005, 03:40 PM
I'm neither a Dye guy nor a Dye basher. But I'm predicting right now that Dye will have a big game at the plate tonight. (At least I hope so.)
:gulp: :bandance:

soxrme
05-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Well we know he is not a first half guy. Send him to the minors for a rehab.

NorthlakeTom
05-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Send him to the minors for a rehab.
This may be a reasonable option. From what I can gather (in my infinite ignorance of the situation), Dye's problems are probably psychological. Sending him to Charlotte for a stint could possibly set him straight. No chance of that happening, but if it were up to me, I'd put him down there with Frank for the next two to three weeks.

balke
05-17-2005, 03:48 PM
This may be a reasonable option. From what I can gather (in my infinite ignorance of the situation), Dye's problems are probably psychological. Sending him to Charlotte for a stint could possibly set him straight. No chance of that happening, but if it were up to me, I'd put him down there with Frank for the next two to three weeks.

Man... I don't know. I'm halfway anticipating him to break a bat full of cork this season as he tries to gain bat speed. The problem to me is he can't catch an 88 M.P.H. fastball.

NorthlakeTom
05-17-2005, 04:02 PM
Look at the game logs, and a different picture appears (somewhat).

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/stats/cws_individual_player_gamebygamelog.jsp?playerID=1 13679&statType=1

Of note:
In May, Dye has hit safely in nine out of fourteen games. May SLG .522, BA .239, OBP .314.

Compare his May numbers with April, and although May is still poor, it shows that he may be turning it around.

Compare April with hitting in 10 out of 22 games, and it's apparent that he's doing much better this month.