PDA

View Full Version : Rename Bullpen Sports Bar McCuddy's?

TomBradley72
05-17-2005, 01:20 PM
There are some great attractions at the Cell....but I think they could improve on how they name them and build on the Sox history and maybe heal a few wounds from some of their mistakes over the year. In general...getting away from "generic names" (ie. The Patio, The Stadium Club, The Bullpem Sports Bar, The Terrace Suites, etc.) to names that reflect their history. Bullpen Sports Bar = McCuddy's, Stadium Club = Bards Room, Terrace Suites = Comiskey Suites, Patio = Veeck Picnic Area....you get the idea. Do some renovations to ackowledge the name sakes...maybe a little "dedication" ceremony to heal some old wounds with the McCuddy's, the Comiskey's, the Veeck's....

Hangar18
05-17-2005, 01:23 PM
There are some great attractions at the Cell....but I think they could improve on how they name them and build on the Sox history and maybe heal a few wounds from some of their mistakes over the year. In general...getting away from "generic names" (ie. The Patio, The Stadium Club, The Bullpem Sports Bar, The Terrace Suites, etc.) to names that reflect their history. Bullpen Sports Bar = McCuddy's, Stadium Club = Bards Room, Terrace Suites = Comiskey Suites, Patio = Veeck Picnic Area....you get the idea. Do some renovations to ackowledge the name sakes...maybe a little "dedication" ceremony to heal some old wounds with the McCuddy's, the Comiskey's, the Veeck's....

I dont think the McCuddy Family would be too happy with that idea, but I get
what your going for. That is an EXCELLENT Idea man. Especially with
the other names too ..........Good Job

Hangar18
05-17-2005, 01:27 PM
:reinsy " Hey, why dont we call it REINENKUGELS ?? I could sell my
own beer ...... Reinenkugels and charge you guys $8 a beer"

LVSoxFan
05-17-2005, 01:38 PM
I like the idea of personalizing the things at the Cell.

Although why are some of the concession stands named after players who are gone (Blackjack)--or, The Big Hurt Pizza is really Connie's Pizza?

skobabe8
05-17-2005, 02:04 PM

I think thats a great idea. I got to meet McCuddys grandson at a bar here in NW indiana last year. He's a real cool guy, probably around 25 years old. I would like to see the BPSB bricked over where the concrete is exposed, and then 'McCuddys' painted onto the brick. I think that would look great in all of those areas that you mentioned. :gulp:

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-17-2005, 02:04 PM
...maybe a little "dedication" ceremony to heal some old wounds with the McCuddy's, the Comiskey's, the Veeck's....

Maybe in the offseason, they re-do the entrance to the front of the BSB to look like McCuddy's, so when you get down there it looks like the old place, then post the name of it in the corner....I DO LIKE THIS IDEA.

ode to veeck
05-17-2005, 02:45 PM
Is "Mom" McCuddy still alive? My father-in-law was showing me a baseball book with several pages on her and relationships with ballplayers, and included a recent (5 years ago?) interview. If she is alive, maybe we could get Lip to track her down ...

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2005, 02:51 PM
This is an excellent idea. Every time the right fielder is on camera, it would look like he's playing in front of the tavern. (Also a nice touch because Babe Ruth played right field and was known to grab a drink between innings at McCuddy's when the Yanks visited Comiskey.) They could open up the "moat" between the fence and the facade and let people stroll around as if it's a city street.

Hangar18
05-17-2005, 03:05 PM
This is an excellent idea. Every time the right fielder is on camera, it would look like he's playing in front of the tavern. (Also a nice touch because Babe Ruth played right field and was known to grab a drink between innings at McCuddy's when the Yanks visited Comiskey.) They could open up the "moat" between the fence and the facade and let people stroll around as if it's a city street.

I really like this idea also .........

Fenway
05-17-2005, 03:11 PM
I just wish the orginal was still there somehow :(:

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/240/2653/320/comiskey11.jpg (http://photos1.blogger.com/img/240/2653/640/comiskey11.jpg)

skobabe8
05-17-2005, 03:14 PM

I like this a lot too!

34 Inch Stick
05-17-2005, 03:56 PM
Good idea and great expansion by subsequent posters. The better location would be to put it in the back wall of the right field concourse. They could make an entire faux streetscape against that wall that included the existing shops, the bar and food stands. It would look something like the area behind left field in Baltimore.

This would probably be prohibitively expensive to retrofit that area but the idea is still solid.

Taz
05-17-2005, 04:09 PM
i LIKE it... :thumbsup: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#)

skobabe8
05-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Good idea and great expansion by subsequent posters. The better location would be to put it in the back wall of the right field concourse. They could make an entire faux streetscape against that wall that included the existing shops, the bar and food stands. It would look something like the area behind left field in Baltimore.

This would probably be prohibitively expensive to retrofit that area but the idea is still solid.

Excellent idea again. And of course, this would need to be open more than just for home games. At least for road games as well, and hopefully all year long.

Medford Bobby
05-17-2005, 04:42 PM
:?: Were the McCuddy's paid by the Illinois Sports Authority for the property...or did the White Sox have any financial input to the McCuddy's too.....seems to me they accepted the assessment of the property but were never happy campers after losing their family business.........:angry:

That's why the Sox may never acknowledge an old saloon...........even if Babe Ruth grabbed a shot and beer, scarfed down a couple hot dogs and took a squirt there........:redneck

2005 White Sox Baseball "Even beer taste better"

soxrme
05-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Weren't they told they would be able to rebuild when the new park went up, I seem to remember something about that. Also, were any of you guys ever in there. They would have to dirty up the right field bar alot to be like Mc's. It was a dump especially at the end. But it was our dump.

TomBradley72
05-17-2005, 04:57 PM
It was a great dump....if Ma McCuddy was behind the bar...the place was up for grabs...tons of Sox stuff from the early 1900's all around the place....during the dark days (86-88...before they tore it down)....it was as cool as place to have a beer and enjoy the Sox as Comiskey itself. Imagine...a bar that stood for over 50 years....Babe Ruth had a beer there DURING a game...but the city and the ownership just flushed it...

cheeses_h_rice
05-17-2005, 05:12 PM
I was a great dump....if Ma McCuddy was behind the bar...the place was up for grabs...tons of Sox stuff from the early 1900's all around the place....during the dark days (86-88...before they tore to down)....it was as cool as place to have a beer and enjoy the Sox as Comiskey itself. Imagine...a bar that stood for over 50 years....Babe Ruth had a beer there DURING a game...but the city and the ownership just flushed it...

I'm sure it doesn't compare to the spine-tingling thrill I get plunking down $3.50 for a 12-oz. can of MGD and sitting in plastic chairs at Jimbo's, though.

jackbrohamer
05-17-2005, 05:33 PM
Weren't they told they would be able to rebuild when the new park went up

There was supposedly some "promise" from Reinsdorf or then-Gov. Thompson that they would rebuild (or help them rebuild) McCuddy's. I don't think they ever got it in writing. I read a few years ago that the family still has a lot of the pictures, furniture, etc. that was in the place, it would be nice to see them build it again, though somewhere OUTSIDE the park, like the old place.

hose
05-17-2005, 05:41 PM
Weren't they told they would be able to rebuild when the new park went up, I seem to remember something about that. Also, were any of you guys ever in there. They would have to dirty up the right field bar alot to be like Mc's. It was a dump especially at the end. But it was our dump.

I tipped a few cold ones at McCuddys on occasion, I was under age so it was hit or miss. Before one game I ran into Don Kolloway who was a 2nd baseman for the Sox in the 40's . I didn't know who he was but he had some great stories. I asked my Dad if he remembered Kolloway and he said sure.

I was always under the impression that the McCuddys weren't to fond of Reinsy.

I want Mags back
05-17-2005, 05:56 PM
I like the idea of personalizing the things at the Cell.

Although why are some of the concession stands named after players who are gone (Blackjack)--or, The Big Hurt Pizza is really Connie's Pizza?

i like Nelly's pivot Pizza

TheOldRoman
05-18-2005, 12:05 AM
I think thats a great idea. I got to meet McCuddys grandson at a bar here in NW indiana last year. He's a real cool guy, probably around 25 years old. I would like to see the BPSB bricked over where the concrete is exposed, and then 'McCuddys' painted onto the brick. I think that would look great in all of those areas that you mentioned. :gulp:
I think thats a GREAT idea. The biggest flaw of the park, IMO, is the bland grey concrete in both bullpens. It would look awesome if that area was covered with bricks.

Oak Lawn
08-02-2007, 05:44 PM
I think its a good idea, but the Sox have already named thier Press Box - "Bill Veeck Press Box" and the Dining Room for the Press and Employees is called "Bards Room." The bad things with these are the Fans don't get to see them being used.

35th&Shields
08-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Maybe in the offseason, they re-do the entrance to the front of the BSB to look like McCuddy's, so when you get down there it looks like the old place, then post the name of it in the corner.

That's a fantastic idea. It's pretty sterile down there at the entrance to the BPSB. I always feel like I'm walking in off of an alley or something. Why not do this? I love this idea the more I think about it. You can only see that area of the park if your down there. It's not visible from the street and it would be really cool.

RadioheadRocks
08-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Is "Mom" McCuddy still alive? My father-in-law was showing me a baseball book with several pages on her and relationships with ballplayers, and included a recent (5 years ago?) interview. If she is alive, maybe we could get Lip to track her down ...

Sadly, Pudi Senese passed away in February 2006. Here's a link to the WSI posting: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66620 Was glad she got to see the Sox win it all though!
(btw, disregard the Daily Southtown link... it goes to the current edition and not the original article)

dickallen15
08-02-2007, 06:48 PM
I tipped a few cold ones at McCuddys on occasion, I was under age so it was hit or miss. Before one game I ran into Don Kolloway who was a 2nd baseman for the Sox in the 40's . I didn't know who he was but he had some great stories. I asked my Dad if he remembered Kolloway and he said sure.

I was always under the impression that the McCuddys weren't to fond of Reinsy.
The empty kegs as seats will be a lasting memory. Unfortunately it is now the "Miller Lite" Bullpen Bar so while a nice idea, I think Lloyd Christmas has a better chance with Lauren Holly.

IlliniSox4Life
08-02-2007, 07:01 PM
The empty kegs as seats will be a lasting memory. Unfortunately it is now the "Miller Lite" Bullpen Bar so while a nice idea, I think Lloyd Christmas has a better chance with Lauren Holly.

Well, it's not like it says "Miller Lite" on the sign out front. They could make it the "Miller Lite" McCuddy's.

WhiteSox5187
08-02-2007, 07:33 PM
I think its a good idea, but the Sox have already named thier Press Box - "Bill Veeck Press Box" and the Dining Room for the Press and Employees is called "Bards Room." The bad things with these are the Fans don't get to see them being used.
I'm surprised that Reisendorf named the dining room "The Bards Room" seeing as how he had that torn down once he bought the team and built "The New Bards Room"...I have a conspiracy theory that states when Reisendorf and Einhorn were building the new ballpark they really wanted to wipe away any remants of the Veeck era (hence, no Bullpen bar, banning Andy the Clown, etc.) it was supposed to be THEIR park. But following the strike once people started staying away, they were forced to make concessions to bring people back...but renaming the bullpen bar after McCuddy's would just be too much for JR...Just a theory.

Brian26
08-02-2007, 07:45 PM

I think you had good intentions, but it annoys the hell out of people when they spend time reading a thread and then realize the posts are over two years old. I did a double take when I saw Hangar's name on the first page.

Don't bring back old threads.

Steelrod
08-02-2007, 07:53 PM
We never have had access to the Bards Room. It is still essentially what it was!

TomBradley72
08-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Don't bring back old threads.

Why it so bad to bring back an old thread like this? :dunno:

WS in 05
08-02-2007, 08:29 PM

Read the rules

Brian26
08-02-2007, 08:31 PM

The point of the thread isn't bad.

The frustration comes in when you spend a few minutes reading everyone's responses and then realize they're from 27 months ago.

Probably a better way to do it would to be for the poster to start a new thread for the same topic, and then in his very first post show a link to the old thread.

I'm arm-charge moderating now, so I'll stop.

Medford Bobby
08-02-2007, 09:40 PM
I just wish the orginal was still there somehow :(:

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/240/2653/320/comiskey11.jpg (http://photos1.blogger.com/img/240/2653/640/comiskey11.jpg)
Did they really drink Old Style back then.....?:?:

soxinem1
08-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Not only are these great ideas, but they should be expanded.

I'd put Babe Ruth's bar stool in their too!!!!

CaptainPaul
08-02-2007, 09:47 PM
It's unfortunate that they would more likely rename the Bullpen Sports Bar the Miller Bullpen Sports Bar instead of McCuddy's. But hey, with what they've done to the park, I guess it's tough to hate sponsorship.

TornLabrum
08-02-2007, 09:47 PM
To Oak Lawn: You're new here so you catch one break. First of all, read the rules here. You'll find that bringing back old threads will get you banned.

So this doesn't continue...closed.