PDA

View Full Version : Should the White Sox Advertise in the Papers More?

TomBradley72
05-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Will all of the "media frenzy" around White Sox attendance...it seems to get lost in the shuffle that it's only been 4-5 weeks since this team began to emerge as a real story for 2005....and for those of us with families, jobs, lives...sometimes we need a few weeks to pull together a night at the ballpark with family or friends.To that end....I'm surprised at the complete absence of full page/half page ads in the local papers promoting the team and it's upcoming schedule. Why not run an ad once/week (Sunday?) promoting the next few home series (promotions, half price nights, which sections are already sold out, all stars from the visiting teams) as well as the renovations at the ballpark (fan deck, Comiskey/Minoso statues,scout seats, new upper deck, FUNdamentals, tailgating)...while the core fans don't need this....the casual fans need to have this stuff right in front of them if they're going to pick up the phone or get online to order tickets and go see the best team in Chicago. I visit other major league cities on a regular basis....in those markets the local teams have much more visibility...heck even the Kane County Cougars seem to advertise more than the Sox.

hsnterprize
05-17-2005, 04:29 PM
The Sox SHOULD advertise more in the papers. Even if they weren't playing as well as they are now, Brooks Boyer's new marketing philosophy of reaching out to anyone who'll listen should motivate him and the Sox to get into as much media as possible. This is a great counter to the seemingly-automatic advertising the Cubs get just by picking up a Tribune or anything "Cub" off the street.

One of the biggest reasons in my opinion why the Sox aren't as popular as the Cubs is because over the years, the Cubs have capitalized on the casual fan's interest in other things besides baseball. And they have made an exceptional effort to promote themselves despite not have great years on a consistent basis. Brooks' ideas in aggressive marketing and such provide the alternative the Sox have long since needed in the PR war with the "evil empire" from up north.

batmanZoSo
05-17-2005, 04:36 PM
We should do a lot of things more. We should advertise more and win the World Series...more.

samram
05-17-2005, 04:48 PM
If I actually bother to pick up a physical newspaper anymore, I flip right past advertisements. If the Sox want to use ads, put them on during popular TV shows, or on the internet. I don't know that those mediums provide better repsonse to ads, but I doubt newspaper ads will add to attendance figures.