it!

I even consider myself a fan of your writing and have a bit of a
request.

Right before spring training you were called out by Sox fans for your
column on best and worst off-seasons.

You put the Sox in the worst category.

Sox fans took you to task and to your credit the following week you
wrote another column admitting you didn't know the Sox signed Jermaine
Dye and took the Sox out of the 'worst' department.

However in the next line you blamed this on your assistants. Which I
liked. These people should be called out publicly for such
incompetence.

I mean, c'mon, you can't singlehandedly be expected to complete a task
as exhausting as going to espn.com and clicking on MLB/Rosters.

Having to do that (apologizing) probably wasn't easy for you to do and
I'd think you probably remembered that when you blasted that Sox fan
today.

But....if you could email me those columns comments so I can post them
on www.whitesoxinteractive.com that would be great.

Keep up the good work!

Rob's response:

Actually, I didn't blame my assistants (I don't have any, or even one).
I blamed my source, which was ESPN's transactions pages, which were
hopelessly incomplete.

Funny how none of the Sox fans remember that I actually picked the Sox
to win the Central this season. But then, idiot fans typically remember
and forget whatever might help them reinforce their preconceptions...
-rn

MUScholar21
05-17-2005, 10:08 AM
Forward that to Brooks, and ask him who at ESPN we can bombard with emails about the way Neyer treats people who frequent their website. Brooks might even be able to throw some weight behind it. Being called "idiot fans" after he emailed me telling me to "get a life" cannot be the stance of ESPN. Maybe we idiots can even cost him his job.

32nd&Wallace
05-17-2005, 10:43 AM
Anyone have Brook's email address

Rocky Soprano
05-17-2005, 10:51 AM
bboyer@chisox.com

Lip Man 1
05-17-2005, 11:59 AM
Ask Neyer if he picked the Sox to win what's happened in the last six weeks to make him dis the team, stadium, uniforms and fans?

Drillrod

Lip

MUScholar21
05-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Apparently, we've gotten under Neyer's skin. He's hosting a chat right now where actually asks right off the bat not to get any White Sox questions.

If he's worried about us now, let's see if he has the stones to come to the Cell and learn something about baseball.

32nd&Wallace
05-17-2005, 01:37 PM
Apparently, we've gotten under Neyer's skin. He's hosting a chat right now where actually asks right off the bat not to get any White Sox questions.

If he's worried about us now, let's see if he has the stones to come to the Cell and learn something about baseball.

And we are idiots! He's barring people from asking questions about the team with the best record in baseball? What a dunce!

Uncle_Patrick
05-17-2005, 01:52 PM
He's barring people from asking questions about the team with the best record in baseball?

Someone should mention that to him.

Flight #24
05-17-2005, 01:56 PM
Speaking of idiocy: Jay (Santa Monica): Can Scott Podsednik steal 100 bases this season?

http://espn.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Rob Neyer: (2:20 PM ET ) I think he won't, but he certainly can. If Guillen gives Podsednik the green light every time *and* doesn't mind if Podsednik's caught (or picked off) 30 or 40 times, then sure.

Uh....you're predicting that a guy with a career 83% success rate is going to suddenly drop to 60-70%? :?:

Ol' No. 2
05-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Speaking of idiocy:

Uh....you're predicting that a guy with a career 83% success rate is going to suddenly drop to 60-70%? :?:And he's 82% so far this year. Neyer is just digging the hole deeper and deeper every time he opens his mouth.

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2005, 02:41 PM
-rn

Not to defend Neyer on this one, but I didn't necessarily read his reply as an indictment of all Sox fans as idiots. Rather, I saw that as a poorly-phrased way to say "every team has a number of fans who happen to be idiots" and it's those to whom he's referring. Then again, I can see how it can be interpreted the other way too....

soxfan43
05-17-2005, 02:43 PM
Now the idiot Neyer is running his mouth on ESPNews

MRKARNO
05-17-2005, 03:02 PM
He's barring people from asking questions about the team with the best record in baseball?

This time the sarcasm was obvious, at least in my view. He clearly was perturbed by the response to that remark last time and he sarcastically asked for no questions. He selects the questions that he will answer and he picked at least two White Sox ones, so he clearly was not ignoring the team.

I agree with him that his view has been treated unfairly by White Sox fans. He was one of the few that actually picked us to win the division. He's just calling it as he sees it at this point and he's catching flak for it. Also, he has less time to respond in these chats than a full-fledged article. The one comment was way out of line, despite its attempted sarcasm, but I wouldnt be ridiculously critical of the other comments that he has made. It's not like Joe Sheehan going out in an article at the beginning of the year and predicting the Sox to win 71 or Steve Phillips to incessantly bash this team out of (seeming) anger towards the team.

ma-gaga
05-17-2005, 03:11 PM
-rn

This wailing and gnashing of teeth in this thread just proves him right. :cool:

maurice
05-17-2005, 03:27 PM
Funny how none of the Sox fans remember that I actually picked the Sox to win the Central this season.

This is daft. Many of the e-mails sent to him asked why he backed off his preseason pick of the Sox and arbitrarily reduced their chances to 40%. The hot start by the Sox surely would increase their chances of winning the division. Has he ever bothered to explain this discrepancy in his "analysis"?

AZChiSoxFan
05-17-2005, 03:45 PM
This wailing and gnashing of teeth in this thread just proves him right. :cool:

How so? Remember, this is a paid (too much, whatever it is) supposedly professional writer who didn't even know that a team had signed a player to be their starting right fielder. How is that possible? This guy "works" like 2 hours a week. What else does he have to do? IMO, that's what set off so many of us. You get paid to cover baseball. At the very least, he should know which teams are signing which free agents.

ma-gaga
05-18-2005, 10:45 AM
Remember, this is a paid (too much, whatever it is) supposedly professional writer who didn't even know that a team had signed a player to be their starting right fielder.
This guy "works" like 2 hours a week.

And he admitted his goof. But several dozen posters on this board "attack" him every time he's mentioned for no other reason than their preconceptions about him.

That was his point, and is mine. You attack him for missing something, which he's apologized for. Get over your big bad self-righteous self.

:gulp:

ma-gaga
05-18-2005, 11:06 AM
This is daft. Many of the e-mails sent to him asked why he backed off his preseason pick of the Sox and arbitrarily reduced their chances to 40%. The hot start by the Sox surely would increase their chances of winning the division. Has he ever bothered to explain this discrepancy in his "analysis"?

Just to let you know, you can both have your cake, there's more than two teams in this division:

W.Sox - 45%
Twins - 25%
Detroit - 20%
Cleveland - 8%
KC - 1%

The W.Sox obviously have the edge but anything could happen.

Playoffs? Well that's a different equation. I'd probably use the Baseball Prospectus's playoff odds predictor as a good unbiased opinion at this point. And hey! It has the division odds as well:

Team; Div.Champs, Wild Card, Playoffs
White Sox; 45.6%, 14.2%, 59.8%
Twins; 25.7%, 13.9%, 39.6%
Tigers; 21.2%, 12.6%, 33.8%
Indians; 7.3%, 6.0%, 13.3%
Royals; 0.1%, 0.1%, 0.2%

They make them for the rest of the league as well. Bottom line, you can be the favorite and have less than half the vote. :cool:

maurice
05-18-2005, 11:47 AM
:?:
Even if he had the Sox at 45% to win the division pre-season, he still arbitrarily reduced their chances to 40% after their hot start (or even lower, when you consider the wildcard.) Plus, it should be pretty obvious by now that Detroit, Cleveland, and KC combined probably have less than a 10% chance of passing both the Sox and the Twins. Thus, it's inconceivable that the Sox chances of making the playoffs at this point have gone down to 40%. I guess BP agrees.

That's not rational analysis. It's something you'd expect to read in the Cubune.

Lip Man 1
05-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Keep putting his feet to the fire.

Lip

ma-gaga
05-18-2005, 01:28 PM
That's not rational analysis.

The only thing that I know for certain is that arguing about the playoffs in May is an exercise in futility. You have the rational percentages per BP up above. As of May 18th, you have a 59.8% chance of making the playoffs.

:gulp: