PDA

View Full Version : Konerko's Batting Stance

PorkChopExpress
05-17-2005, 09:43 AM
I noticed yesterday that Konerko has adopted Crede's plate approach. Does anyone know how long he has been doing this for? I liked his old approach when he used to stand straight and ready to drive the ball out. Now (or at least yesterday) he leans back, with the bat resting on his shoulder until the pitcher is in his motion, just like Crede. I realize players may change things up at times to help break out of slumps, but is Crede really the guy to model your plate approach after?

tlebar318
05-17-2005, 09:47 AM
The announcers have been talking about this quite a bit lately--he keeps changing his stance slightly in hopes of breaking out of the funk he is in..I think he should go back and watch tapes of himself last year and change back and then STOP thinking and just hit the way he knows how! C'mon Paulie! :smile:

mikehuff
05-17-2005, 09:48 AM
I noticed it too. It didn't look like he'd be ready in time when the pitch finally comes. It looks like Greg Walker is trying everything on this guy. You're right about modeling a swing after Crede.

It would be great if Frank comes back and could help out the pitches Paulie is seeing.

Jerko
05-17-2005, 10:46 AM
He can changes stances all he wants; it's not gonna help if the problem is in his head, which I hope it's not.

batmanZoSo
05-17-2005, 11:25 AM
I noticed yesterday that Konerko has adopted Crede's plate approach. Does anyone know how long he has been doing this for? I liked his old approach when he used to stand straight and ready to drive the ball out. Now (or at least yesterday) he leans back, with the bat resting on his shoulder until the pitcher is in his motion, just like Crede. I realize players may change things up at times to help break out of slumps, but is Crede really the guy to model your plate approach after?

Konerko's stance has changed over the years. When he first got here, he was slightly bent at the knees. I think he was batting like that for a couple of years. At least he's trying to change something. He could model his stance after Gary Sheffield or Craig Counsell as long as it gets him out of the funk.

Harry Chappas
05-17-2005, 11:27 AM
Maybe I missed them as I seldom have time to peruse this board, but I was beginning to wonder if there was a gag order here re: Konerko's scary funk. There are some players that slump from time to time and you don't worry about them, but Paul isn't one of them. He gets so mentally screwed up that we could very well be seeing a repeat of two years ago. The fact that he's fiddling with his stance doesn't inspire much confidence in me. I agree with whomever suggested he study last year's tapes and forget about all the little adjustments. A baseball swing is not unlike a golf swing in that respect. The more you start to tinker with it, the worse the results usually are...

SoxxoS
05-17-2005, 11:34 AM
When I think of a hitter to copy, I think of Joe Crede.

RKMeibalane
05-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Konerko's original stance was actually a right-handed mirror of the stance Will Clark used. Konerko has said in the past that he idolized Clark while growing up, and that he would watch Will's at-bats through a mirror, to see what he would like right-handed.

I haven't seen Konerko hit lately, but if he's tinkering with his stance, that's a bad sign. I've always thought that players should stick with one basic stance, only modifying it when injured or to correct a slight problem. Moving the position of the hands, the bat, or something else also changes a player's eye level and can effect his timing. Konerko may be changing something that isn't even the problem. If you ask me, I think his slump is more the result of a mental block than anything else.

batmanZoSo
05-17-2005, 11:59 AM
Konerko's original stance was actually a right-handed mirror of the stance Will Clark used. Konerko has said in the past that he idolized Clark while growing up, and that he would watch Will's at-bats through a mirror, to see what he would like right-handed.

I haven't seen Konerko hit lately, but if he's tinkering with his stance, that's a bad sign. I've always thought that players should stick with one basic stance, only modifying it when injured or to correct a slight problem. Moving the position of the hands, the bat, or something else also changes a player's eye level and can effect his timing. Konerko may be changing something that isn't even the problem. If you ask me, I think his slump is more the result of a mental block than anything else.

I don't see that. Will Clark had a closed stance and waved the bat a lot.

RKMeibalane
05-17-2005, 12:00 PM
I don't see that. Will Clark had a closed stance and waved the bat a lot.

Yes, he did, but Konerko has a similar uppercut in his swing. I don't remember Will hitting into as many double-plays, though. :cool: