PDA

View Full Version : How Good Was the '83 Team? Check This Out

Brian26
05-17-2005, 09:05 AM
In their last 66 games, the 1983 White Sox went 50-16.

To begin this season, which has been an amazing run despite the last three games, the Sox are 27-12 in their first 39 games. To match the winning stretch that the '83 team achieved, the Sox would have to to 23-4 in their next 27 games.

Cubsuck_a_lot
05-17-2005, 09:07 AM
as long as our hitting catches up with our pitching, it's a plausible expectancy.

tstrike2000
05-17-2005, 11:50 AM
The '83 team was truly one of those teams that fit into that area where the best team comes out on top at the end of the regular season. They started out poorly and were actually under .500 in late June. There are some comparisons between this years team and the '83 team with the exception of Dye and Konerko not being able to bat their weight. They were so well balanced with two 20 game winners in Hoyt and Dotson which could be comparable to Buehrle and Garland thus far. They had the speed in the outfield with Rudy Law which could be comparable to Pods. The trade of Tony Bernazard for Julio Cruz at second also could be comparable to us getting Iguchi. It was definitely no fluke what that team did and this team has the guys to put something special together, especially if the pitching holds up, our middle of order guys starting hitting more consistantly and a healthier Big Hurt returning.

Lip Man 1
05-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Submitted for your edification:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2321

Lip

batmanZoSo
05-17-2005, 11:56 AM
The '83 team was truly one of those teams that fit into that area where the best team comes out on top at the end of the regular season. They started out poorly and were actually under .500 in late June. There are some comparisons between this years team and the '83 team with the exception of Dye and Konerko not being able to bat their weight. They were so well balanced with two 20 game winners in Hoyt and Dotson which could be comparable to Buehrle and Garland thus far. They had the speed in the outfield with Rudy Law which could be comparable to Pods. The trade of Tony Bernazard for Julio Cruz at second also could be comparable to us getting Iguchi. It was definitely no fluke what that team did and this team has the guys to put something special together, especially if the pitching holds up, our middle of order guys starting hitting more consistantly and a healthier Big Hurt returning.

We also have a (somewhat) slugging catcher who's a noted tough guy/leader/occasional jerky. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? AJ batting second.....:o:

tlebar318
05-17-2005, 12:38 PM
1983 was truly a magical year....I went to alot of ballgames in April and May of that year and we were horrible. I remember Harold tripping and falling over first base in one game and I was embarassed for him. Then magically, everything started to click when we traded Bernazard for Julio "Juice" Cruz. That year we should have won the damn World Series! Fond memories for sure and I am hoping maybe that same kind of "magic" is this year's team too---a new brand of "winning ugly"! Go Sox! :D: :gulp:

LVSoxFan
05-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Ain't it weird how moving one player changes the whole chemistry?

Case in point: guess who went on a season-ending tear when they traded their short stop? Boston. When they sent Garciaparra to the Cubs.

I'm kinda hopin' Big Frank coming back may be the spark for us; at first I thought "don't mess with success" but while the team's record is nice, our offense blows.

Pitching will be up and down, that's the way it goes. We need the "O" for when it's down.

pudge
05-17-2005, 12:49 PM
Ain't it weird how moving one player changes the whole chemistry?

Case in point: guess who went on a season-ending tear when they traded their short stop? Boston. When they sent Garciaparra to the Cubs.

I'm kinda hopin' Big Frank coming back may be the spark for us; at first I thought "don't mess with success" but while the team's record is nice, our offense blows.

Pitching will be up and down, that's the way it goes. We need the "O" for when it's down.

Yeah, and hence it was such a brilliant move in '93 to cut Carlton Fisk.

ode to veeck
05-17-2005, 01:42 PM
... and Texas manager Radar called us "winning ugly" before his guys faded into dust. What would he say about the 2004 Sox?

voodoochile
05-17-2005, 01:53 PM
That '83 team won almost every second half series they played. It was incredible. Everytime you turned around they were taking 2/3, 3/4 or better.

tstrike2000
05-17-2005, 02:21 PM
We also have a (somewhat) slugging catcher who's a noted tough guy/leader/occasional jerky. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? AJ batting second.....:o:

Yes, I remember that. LaRussa moved Fisk to second in the lineup and along with the Julio Cruz trade, they started their unbelievable second half. If we get into a prolonged losing streak, maybe bat AJ second, but on second thought maybe that move would be....:o:

Palpidious
05-17-2005, 03:54 PM
if dye and konerko were even hitting about .260 i'd say they might have had a shot. but when you got guys you're counting on hitting sub .200 it ain't gonna happen

cheeses_h_rice
05-17-2005, 04:07 PM
Submitted for your edification:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2321

Lip

It wasn't all fun and laughter. Reinsdorf took this moment in front of a national audience (since WGN Superstation was allowed to pick up and broadcast the SportsVision feed) to rip former Sox announcers Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall. Reinsdorf stunned "Hawk" Harrelson during his interview by saying..."wherever you're at Harry and Jimmy, eat your hearts out. I hope people realize what scum you are."

:mg:

NorthlakeTom
05-17-2005, 04:13 PM
if dye and konerko were even hitting about .260 i'd say they might have had a shot. but when you got guys you're counting on hitting sub .200 it ain't gonna happen

What are you saying? Are you comparing '05 with '83, or are you saying the Sox don't have a shot this year?

Lip Man 1
05-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Cheeses:

Yup...true dat.

Lip

nccwsfan
05-17-2005, 06:20 PM
83' was such a special year, and although I don't think the 05' team will have the same success (50-16) they'll continue to hold their own and make things happen by year's end. The Cruz trade turned the whole thing around- the best single transaction of that season....

Dick Allen
05-17-2005, 06:52 PM
The '83 team dropped like a rock in the playoffs - they stopped hitting completely, kind of like the 2000 team.