PDA

View Full Version : Illini-Mizzou to Use Wooden Bats

Viva Medias B's
05-17-2005, 09:04 AM
When the Illinois baseball team travels to O'Fallon to take on Missouri on Wednesday, the Illini and Tigers will use wooden bats. That ought to be interesting to see a college baseball game without the "ping" of the metal bats.

Stroker Ace
05-17-2005, 11:06 AM
Good to hear. I feel that wooden bats should be used in college and high school baseball.

Malgar 12
05-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Good to hear. I feel that wooden bats should be used in college and high school baseball.

Yeah, I've even heard that metal bats are getting so pricey, that it actually isn't much price differential to go back to the more authentic and aesthetically pleasing wooden variety.

Ol' No. 2
05-17-2005, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I've even heard that metal bats are getting so pricey, that it actually isn't much price differential to go back to the more authentic and aesthetically pleasing wooden variety.It's not just the aesthetic aspects. The newer metal bats are launching balls like rockets. Kids are getting hurt. It's just a matter of time until someone gets seriously hurt or even killed.

illinibk
05-17-2005, 01:57 PM
It's not just the aesthetic aspects. The newer metal bats are launching balls like rockets. Kids are getting hurt. It's just a matter of time until someone gets seriously hurt or even killed.
Kids have already been killed at the high school level. There was a piece on Outside the Lines last year about this very thing. I have always been a fan of wood bats as opposed to aluminum. They look much better, and a good hit with a wood bat feels much much better than the same hit with an aluminum bat. Not to mention that using a wood bat will help out pro scouts in determining who can hit with wood and who can't.

I_Liked_Manuel
05-17-2005, 03:21 PM
when i was a kid, i always used a metal bat because i thought that wood was too heavy. after buying a few bats at soxfest last year, i'm convinced that i just had the wrong wood bats.

MUsoxfan
05-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Kids have already been killed at the high school level.

One of the kids from the Oak Lawn HS team is/was in a coma after getting a rocket-shot to the head. I'm a proponent of wooden bats for everyone

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2005, 03:46 PM

Agreed. I think it ultimately would help rectify the balance between pitching and hitting, because young pitchers would be more willing to throw inside at an earlier age. With an aluminum bat, even if you've been jammed with inside heat you can get a hit. This scares a lot a youngsters away from pitching inside.

batmanZoSo
05-17-2005, 03:47 PM
when i was a kid, i always used a metal bat because i thought that wood was too heavy. after buying a few bats at soxfest last year, i'm convinced that i just had the wrong wood bats.

Yeah, the ubiquitous Ken Griffey Jr. wooden bats they sell at KMarts aren't exactly what we have in mind. A good major league quality wooden bat can't be beat.

whitesoxwilkes
05-17-2005, 04:49 PM
Yeah, the ubiquitous Ken Griffey Jr. wooden bats they sell at KMarts aren't exactly what we have in mind. A good major league quality wooden bat can't be beat.

I'll throw in a plug here for Jeff Wagner, up in Appleton Wisconsin. In spite of the fact that he's a Cub fan, he makes some of the best wooden bats you'll find:

www.wagnerbats.com (http://www.wagnerbats.com)

AZChiSoxFan
05-17-2005, 05:17 PM
From what I've heard, college baseball would be more than happy to use wood bats if MLB would foot the bill. Lots of people at the major league level (scouts, GM's, etc.) complain about aluminum bats, but when given the chance to actually do something about it, they grow strangely silent.

I_Liked_Manuel
05-17-2005, 05:24 PM

that's the exact bat that deterred me from using a wooden bat

Stroker Ace
05-17-2005, 08:38 PM
I can sure say that. Whenever me and my friends play ball, I use my wooden bat. It just feels better than a metal bat.

Nellie_Fox
05-18-2005, 01:35 AM
Here at Minnesota State University, we have a really solid D-II baseball program. They just lost in the conference tournament championship game to Nebraska-Omaha, but still have a shot at going to the NCAA tourney. They have five pitchers who throw over 90.

As much as I love baseball, I won't go watch their games because I absolutely cannot stand listening to the PING of the aluminum bat.

However, we have a summer wooden-bat team, the Mankato Moondogs, who play in the Northwoods League. It's partially subsidized by MLB so they can see college prospects play with (and against, for pitchers) wooden bats. I will most likely attend some of those games this summer.

nasox
05-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Nothin better than a well made wooden bat.