PDA

View Full Version : Is Frank Rushing Back??

GiveMeSox
05-17-2005, 01:01 AM
No one would love to see Frank back asap than me, but I have to ask, is this too fast for him. I mean we saw what happened to Maggs last year when he rushed back and thats the last thing we need. The last reports I saw said Frank has still yet to experience no pain while running. For a guy still battling the pain of running It just strikes me as a little odd he is returning to live play tomorrow. I would think he would wait until the pain is not a problem before returning to play and trying to get in his normal season habits again. Anyone else also feel this way? It really does us no good if he comes off his 10 day rehab and cant play, he either has to go the DL or be placed on the 25 man roster and just sit on the bench.

Lip Man 1
05-17-2005, 01:14 AM
Frank is playing for a contract for next season either here or elsewhere, he's not going to be stupid. If he feels like he can play, bank on it.

Lip

NorthlakeTom
05-17-2005, 01:24 AM
Playing with pain is no big deal. If Frank can perform, he'll deal with a certain level of pain. Re-injuring the ankle is the main concern, and I doubt he'd be cleared for play if that were an immediate danger.

Jurr
05-17-2005, 01:31 AM
Yeah...running on the ankle is going to hurt a little. The problem lies in his swing. He's going to put a great deal of force on that joint and the bones surrounding the joint due to his front foot swing. If he's been hitting at the cages with no pain, that's a good sign. He can deal with some pain while running.

balke
05-17-2005, 08:43 AM
He's had soooo long to recover. I hope he's not rushing back, but it seems like it'll be a while til he's 100%. That, or maybe he'll never be 100% again. I'd like to see what he can do for a couple weeks, and if he looks slower than normal, or as if he's in pain... maybe he'll take a little more time off until the break.

tschneid83
05-17-2005, 08:54 AM
he is going to have pain for a while. I heard that the running, hitting, etc could break up some things down there that are causing the pain or discomfort. So the playing time could do him good and get him back quicker instead of sitting out longer. Plus like a few mentioned above, They wont let him play if he could re-injure it.

RKMeibalane
05-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Frank himself said he won't be 100% this season, so there's no point in waiting until he's completely free of pain. As long as he thinks he can play, I don't see a problem with him going back out there.

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2005, 10:40 AM
Frank himself said he won't be 100% this season, so there's no point in waiting until he's completely free of pain. As long as he thinks he can play, I don't see a problem with him going back out there.

Agreed, and from what I remember (IIRC), Frank may never been completely pain-free again.

beckett21
05-17-2005, 10:54 AM
As long as he has medical clearance from his Doctors and they believe that he will not be doing any further damage, he is not rushing back.

The life of a professional athlete is defined by pain. I doubt highly that he will ever be 100% *pain-free*. All part of the price one's body pays to play professional sports. That, and the natural aging process we are all victim to.

As long as the pain is *manageable* and there is no risk of further harm (i.e. it is just residual pain from surgery and not a return of the injury), let him go for it. He isn't going to get any younger.

As someone who is *only* 35, I am never 100% pain-free myself. Things are starting to creak already. Just ask some of our more *mature* members here. :redneck

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2005, 10:59 AM
As long as he has medical clearance from his Doctors and they believe that he will not be doing any further damage, he is not rushing back.

The life of a professional athlete is defined by pain. I doubt highly that he will ever be 100% *pain-free*. All part of the price one's body pays to play professional sports. That, and the natural aging process we are all victim to.

As long as the pain is *manageable* and there is no risk of further harm (i.e. it is just residual pain from surgery and not a return of the injury), let him go for it. He isn't going to get any younger.

As someone who is *only* 35, I am never 100% pain-free myself. Things are starting to creak already. Just ask some of our more *mature* members here. :redneck

Thanks, Beckett! I thought I had read similar comments from you in previous threads about Frank, but I thought it best not to put "words in your mouth," or in this case "in your posts."
:cool:

beckett21
05-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Thanks, Beckett! I thought I had read similar comments from you in previous threads about Frank, but I thought it best not to put "words in your mouth," or in this case "in your posts."
:cool:

*100%* is almost more a perception than a reality at this point. As long as he *feels* that he is 100%, or even close, that's all that matters. Frank is the only person in all of this that knows what he feels. At some point, the doctors have to turn him loose and see what happens.

No one can turn back the clock 20 years on his body. That doesn't mean that he can't play to 100% of his ability. Only one way to find out--play. :smile:

Ol' No. 2
05-17-2005, 11:14 AM
IMO, by this stage of his life, Frank knows his body better than anyone. If he feels ready, then he's ready, or at least as ready as he's ever going to be. He'll know better after a couple of days playing in the minors.

daveeym
05-17-2005, 11:19 AM
*100%* is almost more a perception than a reality at this point. As long as he *feels* that he is 100%, or even close, that's all that matters. Frank is the only person in all of this that knows what he feels. At some point, the doctors have to turn him loose and see what happens.

No one can turn back the clock 20 years on his body. That doesn't mean that he can't play to 100% of his ability. Only one way to find out--play. :smile: Yup there's a point for every athlete and every injury that comes to "what the hell" time. You can rehab for another 5 months with no guarantees its gonna get better or you can go now with no guarantees that it won't go out on you next week. It's play in pain and risk injury or hang em up time, and sadly it looks like the ankle is bringing that day closer for Big Frank.

mweflen
05-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Short answer: I sure hope so.

Long answer: I sure hope so, because we desperately need him, even hitting .250 (which would be a hell of a lot more than Konerko and Dye) and running station-to-station.

soxrme
05-17-2005, 11:58 AM
Short answer: I sure hope so.

Long answer: I sure hope so, because we desperately need him, even hitting .250 (which would be a hell of a lot more than Konerko and Dye) and running station-to-station.
I agree, we need him back ASAP. How long was Dye hurt? Maybe he should go to the minors for some re-hab.

ondafarm
05-17-2005, 01:14 PM
IMO, by this stage of his life, Frank knows his body better than anyone. If he feels ready, then he's ready, or at least as ready as he's ever going to be. He'll know better after a couple of days playing in the minors.

I agree.

He's only going to be DH ing. Even for Frank that probably means at most two or three times running hard a game.

If he can't test it now, when will he.

RKMeibalane
05-17-2005, 01:22 PM
I agree.

He's only going to be DH ing. Even for Frank that probably means at most two or three times running hard a game.

If he can't test it now, when will he.

Besides, he doesn't need to run that hard when he hits a ball into the seats. Frank is around because of his power and his walks- neither of which require him to run hard. The test for him will come when he has to take the extra base on a single or a ball hit into the gap.

05-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Thats why he is going to rehab for a few weeks, which is something Maggs did not...if he feels pain down there, he will be honest...plus Maggs knee started really hurting when he went back in the field, which Frank can not

Kogs35
05-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Thats why he is going to rehab for a few weeks, which is something Maggs did not...if he feels pain down there, he will be honest...plus Maggs knee started really hurting when he went back in the field, which Frank can not

he is already 2-2 with a single and a double tonight :bandance: :bandance: