PDA

View Full Version : New Radio Coming

Two By Four
05-16-2005, 06:49 PM
Hey all...sitting here writing new Sox radio to go with the five launched last month. "Red" from the 70's Show is still the voice and we are working on getting more fans/families out to the park.

Any themes or suggestions from the WSI bunch would be appreciated and considered. What should casual fans know about the Sox that would make them want to bring the wife and kids? (Of course last time I asked for feedback someone wanted to be paid for doing my job.)

Daver
05-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Have you considered emphasizing the Fundamentals area a bit more?

It is something few parks can boast of.

Two By Four
05-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Have you considered emphasizing the Fundamentals area a bit more?

It is something few parks can boast of.

Good point...I am. But is there more traditions like not throwing the ball back that people will like?

TheOldRoman
05-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Good point...I am. But is there more traditions like not throwing the ball back that people will like?
I think you should do an ad on the GO! GO! chant. Talk about the history behind it, and the 1959 AL Champs. Then mention Pods, Iguchi, Rowand, Uribe, and Harris, and say something like "the Go Go Sox are back". There is a thread explaining the chant in the Clubhouse. It would be great if you could hype up all our basestealers (especially Scotty), talk about our winning tradition, and start up the Go Go chant at the Cell.

DickAllen72
05-16-2005, 07:02 PM
I know my kids really enjoy the "pinwheel races" and "pizza races" between innings. Also, the food is great at the cell and there's plenty of parking. I haven't been there this year yet but it sounds like the new fundamentals area should be nice for kids.

One suggestion, probably would fit in more on TV than radio. I know many kids nowadays, mine included, are crazy over the Japanese cartoon show, "Yu-Ghi-Oh!" With the two Japanese stars we now have on our team, maybe some type of "Yu-Ghi-Oh" themed commercial can be produced. I know that would definitely appeal to the 9-14 year old set!

If there were some way to describe on the radio how beautiful the Cell really is, that would go a long way in drawing families. Maybe have on the seen interviews with Moms and kids describing how nice the park is and what a great time they're having.

Wish you the best! :)

John Barrett
05-16-2005, 07:08 PM
How about the economics of being able to bring your own food into the park.. tailgating...kids free under 36 inches(as long as they sit on your lap) PB&J's at Kids corner ..fantastic access to the expressways ( home b/4 the highlights)

I'll keep thinking ....

MRKARNO
05-16-2005, 07:08 PM
I would play up Scott Podsednik's ridiculous ability to steal bases.

Also, I would definitely de-emphasize Shingo. That whole thing has run its course and the whole Jalapeno or Wasabi thing looks somewhat silly now.

Drawing on the 1959 team might not be a bad idea if you can do it in a way to catch people's attention with it. It's not the easiest thing in the world I'm sure.

Definitely talk about the amazing pitching that the White Sox have had.

EDIT: Deleted references to images in a thread about a radio spot. That was not good.

John Barrett
05-16-2005, 07:13 PM
for the wif and kids ....DESERTS.. Carmel apples as big as your head...brownies with so many nuts they should be in institutions

Two By Four
05-16-2005, 07:21 PM
for the wif and kids ....DESERTS.. Carmel apples as big as your head...brownies with so many nuts they should be in institutions

Okay, I'm using that line!

cbone
05-16-2005, 07:48 PM
We don't throw the ball back and we don't do the wave! We are too busy watching the game, Cub fans oughta try it...

Two By Four
05-16-2005, 07:55 PM
We don't throw the ball back and we don't do the wave! We are too busy watching the game, Cub fans oughta try it...

Allready did the throwing the ball back spot in the last bunch (Sox.com to hear it). The wave thing is complicated...while core Sox fans don't like the wave, kids love it. We don't want to tell families the Sox don't do stuff like that (even if it is annoying!)

Flames24Rulz
05-16-2005, 08:07 PM
definitely emphasize Pods more and i agree with Karno to deemphasize Shingo. The Go-Go chant would also be pretty cool as well.

shbart
05-16-2005, 08:32 PM
The Go, Go, Go chant came up in another post and it would be great to encourage fans to do that, although not sure that draws new fans or familes. In that aspect I think you should have Red talk/sing Take me out to the ballgame with revised lyrics...you know, something like "Take me out to the ballgame, Take me out to where it's loud (sfx in background) buy me some churros and dippin dots... I don't care who's got the Motts. Oh it's root root for the White Sox if they don't win, we'll still eat well. For it's one, two three Tums your down at the end of the night...and then JB's tag about Carmen Apples and Brownies. Food always draws people :)

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Allready did the throwing the ball back spot in the last bunch (Sox.com to hear it). The wave thing is complicated...while core Sox fans don't like the wave, kids love it. We don't want to tell families the Sox don't do stuff like that (even if it is annoying!)

Not to toot my own horn, but I said this in another thread.....

Sox fans pay attention. Cubs fans(use the other team's fans if you like) pay attendance.

Two By Four
05-16-2005, 08:49 PM
In that aspect I think you should have Red talk/sing Take me out to the ballgame with revised lyrics...

GREAT idea! Thanks.

So what is the "official" story on the GO, GO chant?

Daver
05-16-2005, 08:56 PM
GREAT idea! Thanks.

So what is the "official" story on the GO, GO chant?

You can find it here. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50194)

tebman
05-16-2005, 08:58 PM
You could highlight Nancy Faust. Not only is she the best in the business, and is the standard against which other ballpark organists are measured, but she is also a one-woman public-relations department. She's always friendly, she enjoys seeing and talking with people (incredibly, even as she's playing), she does singalongs, and she enjoys kids too.

Nancy's an incredible asset. The old-timers (uh, like me) know her and she's hip enough with the music to appeal to the kids too.

jabrch
05-16-2005, 09:52 PM

I'd suggest desserts...kids like cookies more than they like hot and dry sandy areas.

:D:

jabrch
05-16-2005, 09:55 PM
I'd go at the total family experience... There is something really "American" about a family of four drinking cokes and eating hot dogs while watching the Sox play. I did it with my dad. He did it with his dad. I'll do it with my kids. And some day, they will do it with their kids. I went to a game last year with my Dad, his dad, and took my nephew - 4 generations of Sox fans. I'm sure you could play that up somehow.

soltrain21
05-16-2005, 10:20 PM
I think a funny spot for TV would be having Scott Podsednik teleport everywhere. Like show him on the field, at his house, etc etc.

John Barrett
05-16-2005, 10:41 PM
I think a funny spot for TV would be having Scott Podsednik teleport everywhere. Like show him on the field, at his house, etc etc.

Hard to show that on Radio

CLR01
05-16-2005, 10:47 PM
I'd go at the total family experience... There is something really "American" about a family of four drinking cokes and eating hot dogs while watching the Sox play. I did it with my dad. He did it with his dad. I'll do it with my kids. And some day, they will do it with their kids. I went to a game last year with my Dad, his dad, and took my nephew - 4 generations of Sox fans. I'm sure you could play that up somehow.

Unfortunately, they would have to be drinking a Pepsi, and there is nothing American about Pepsi. Well except for it being a low-quality substitute.

doublem23
05-16-2005, 10:58 PM
Unfortunately, they would have to be drinking a Pepsi, and there is nothing American about Pepsi. Well except for it being a low-quality substitute.

:)

rwcescato
05-17-2005, 12:51 AM
Hey all...sitting here writing new Sox radio to go with the five launched last month. "Red" from the 70's Show is still the voice and we are working on getting more fans/families out to the park.

Any themes or suggestions from the WSI bunch would be appreciated and considered. What should casual fans know about the Sox that would make them want to bring the wife and kids? (Of course last time I asked for feedback someone wanted to be paid for doing my job.)

I always think tailgating is a good value. We have a birthday party for my brother every year in July. We have cake and presents along with the food. We have 6 kids between the ages of 4-10 and now they think its part of going to a Sox game. We are all in our 30's and 40's and we enjoy it.:happybday
Rich

OH!foracold1
05-17-2005, 09:49 AM
All kids and even grown-ups love fireworks. Do a bit showing the progression of the exploding scoreboard. Start in the Veeck era till now. Also the same with the Saturday night fireworks. I remember as a kid seeing the huge ground display along with the aerial display. You might be able to incorporate that with the go go White Sox of 59 somehow. You can say something likeÖ "Donít deprive your children of what you once cherished" or something along those lines.

Goose
05-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Some idea has got to be out there on the whole "Nah Nah, Hey Hey, Goodbye" thing. There is very little that says SOX more than that.

For a TV spot, you could have 2 fans in the stands, one wearing SOX gear, the other wearing the opposing team's gear, the non-Sox fan gets up to go to the bathroom, and the crowd breaks out in the Nah Nah, Hey Hey, Goodbye chant as he is leaving his seat...

Not sure how you could make it work on the radio.

voodoochile
05-17-2005, 10:38 AM

Hey, we New Bern residents don't appreciate you trolling our towns contribution to American culinary cuisine...:tongue:

If you are going to emphasize the food in these commercials, you should definitely play up the fact that "Dad" has better options than at most ballparks too. The Steak Pitas, Italian Beefs, multiple kinds of sausage with grilled onions, etc. give the guys a whole lot of choices that they just can't get elsewhere. If there is a way to turn it into a "BBQ in the Park" theme, it would probably go over well.

Church Turtle
05-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Old Comiskey when it was opened was referred to as "baseball's palace". Why not a run-down of other "palaces" and the USCF as a current palace.

Something like "You can visit Biltmore Estates, but flowers just kind of sit there. You can visit Buckingham Palace, but you could see security guards end their shifts at any mall. And at Graceland they didn't even spell Elvis' middle name correctly. But at USCF, the newer and always improving palace of baseball you can..." and list amenenties that might impress a family. ESPECIALLY the level of play our SOX have given us this year.

Ol' No. 2
05-17-2005, 11:24 AM
I would play up Scott Podsednik's ridiculous ability to steal bases.

Also, I would definitely de-emphasize Shingo. That whole thing has run its course and the whole Jalapeno or Wasabi thing looks somewhat silly now.

Drawing on the 1959 team might not be a bad idea if you can do it in a way to catch people's attention with it. It's not the easiest thing in the world I'm sure.

Definitely talk about the amazing pitching that the White Sox have had.

EDIT: Deleted references to images in a thread about a radio spot. That was not good.I agree that Podsednik can be a big story, and it makes for very exciting baseball. For a number of years we were stuck in the "Chicks dig the long ball" phase, but now that that seems to be over, people will come to see that the speed and basestealing part of the game is every bit as exciting.

This may be easier to do in a TV spot, but maybe you could use some broadcast clips to try to capture the excitement of the moment. The Go-Go chant will immediately grab people who were around in 1959 and who remember that.

DannyCaterFan
05-17-2005, 11:32 AM
We actually offer nice large parking lots with tailgating, not some guy with a sombrero trying to get you to pull into an alley leading to a 2-car garage for north side parking. (This is something I actually experienced once at Wrigley for a Sox game there)

Also..... Stress the good food.....or as I like to call it...."The Concoruse Walking Tour". This is where you make a lap of the park on the concourse to see how much food you can enjoy!:supernana:

skottyj242
05-17-2005, 11:44 AM
What about something like the sausage cycle that I try to do every opening day? A brat, sausage, polish and kosher hot dog. I also think you should involve Man Soo Lee somehow.

Ol' No. 2
05-17-2005, 11:45 AM
We actually offer nice large parking lots with tailgating, not some guy with a sombrero trying to get you to pull into an alley leading to a 2-car garage for north side parking. (This is something I actually experienced once at Wrigley for a Sox game there)

Also..... Stress the good food.....or as I like to call it...."The Concoruse Walking Tour". This is where you make a lap of the park on the concourse to see how much food you can enjoy!:supernana:You could challenge people to eat for the sausage cycle (i.e. hot dog, bratwurst, italian sausage, polish sausage).

Tom~Attitude
05-17-2005, 02:31 PM
How about something to encourage the young dads that haven't yet taken their kids to a Sox game to get off the fence and do it. Maybe Red could reminisce about when he was a kid and the "Old Man" was in the kitchen listening to the game on the radio...the kid comes into the room and dad tells him that they'll be going to Sox Park tomorrow...and then talk about the memories he still has about that day.

Remind the dads that now they are their kid's "Old Man"..and to think of their kids telling their friends that "The Old Man took me to the Sox game". It their turn!

the gooch
05-17-2005, 02:42 PM
please mention this is chicago and we dont put ketchup on hotdogs. if thats what you prefer... theres also pizza, churros, and pitas you can enjoy without getting a look from the guy next to you.

red foreman is the perfect man for a hotdog rant. tie it in to a dollar dog thursday bit, or the whole food thing.
[the bullpen sports bar has all the 'chicago' fixins for a hotdog]

not everyone follows this rule, though they should. either way, youll get a rise out of people because there are many who feel strongly about it. and if youre thinking hotdogs, youre thinking baseball.

Rocky Soprano
05-17-2005, 02:48 PM
I have an idea:

You can have a couple of kids "asking their dad" to take them to the game to see a certain player.

A hispanic kid asking his dad to take him to the game to see Garcia, maybe throw a couple of spanish words in there.

A Japanese kid asking his dad to take him to the game to see Iguchi, also maybe throw a couple of Japanese words.

etc...

And then you can even had "Red" promote kids days/firework nights/Fundamentals.

maurice
05-17-2005, 03:15 PM
In light of Ozzie's recent comments trashing the Wrigley parking situation, I'd consider playing up the convenience factor . . . take the el to the game or park less than 5 minutes from the gate . . . but get there for the 1st inning, or you might miss 3 or 4 stolen bases.

MUsoxfan
05-17-2005, 03:21 PM
What about something like the sausage cycle that I try to do every opening day? A brat, sausage, polish and kosher hot dog.

Why only on opening day? :?::D:

skottyj242
05-17-2005, 03:36 PM
Why only on opening day? :?::D:

I know I'm going to take some flak for this but I'm not really a fan of eating at the ballpark. I like tailgating and eating there or stopping somewhere after the game. I just think it's way too expensive (but then again I'll pay the $5.50 for the beers), but that's why I only do it once a year...I think I can only handle it once a year anyway.

MUsoxfan
05-17-2005, 03:38 PM
I think I can only handle it once a year anyway.

That might explain all my chest pain:wink:

skottyj242
05-17-2005, 03:43 PM
That might explain all my chest pain:wink:

Yeah....me too.

DumpJerry
05-17-2005, 03:51 PM
How about "while we have a 'kids' day' each month, every day seems like a kids day at USCF!" Have kids cheering in the background very loudly and Red can yell at them, "Hey! Quiet! I'm trying to watch my White Sox!" To which the kids reply in unison with gleeful laughter, "So are we!" Then Red responds "Sox fans! You kids are the greatest!"

103 screwball
05-17-2005, 04:08 PM
How about Podsednik doing a commercial.

Starts with the crack the bat base hit and crowd roar. (Go! Go! Go! crowd chant starts in background) He can Say stuff like "I hear this years team reminds people of the Go Go Sox, I'm not sure if it is the great pitching or sound defense... um excuse me, I'm going to swipe second base....(insert sound of someone sprinting to second, sliding, ump says safe, and big crowd roar, then he continues not even out of breath)... Come on out and enjoy the tailgating in the spacious parking area, great food, and run the bases with me in the brand new fundamentals...um, sorry, hold on a second, I'm gonna take third base now...(ZOOOOOMMMM!!!, safe, roar, again not out of breath) Join us this weekend at the newly renovated US Cellular Field to take on the Twins.....(Crack of bat and huge crowd roar Scott yells over crowd noise... "I gotta go home now, later"...then the sound of an engine and a car burning rubber.

Then, insert join us this Saturday for fireworks night ect.

Well, thats the best I can do. Roadrunner cartoon noises would be good to, but you'd probably have to pay somebody to use them.

CLR01
05-17-2005, 09:51 PM
Hey, we New Bern residents don't appreciate you trolling our towns contribution to American culinary cuisine...:tongue:

The people of New Bern should apologize to the world and ask for a redo. :D:

voodoochile
05-17-2005, 10:46 PM
The people of New Bern should apologize to the world and ask for a redo. :D:

but it's all we've got... :(: :whiner:

oh we also have the old palace for the original English Governor prior to the Revolution... sigh...

Realist
05-18-2005, 12:29 AM

Oh yes yes yes. Please please please address the "fans throwing back opposing player's home runs" atrocity. Cat Thief (another WSI member that I had not yet met) each launched verbal warnings to the fans in the right field bleachers not to throw back the ball. We looked at each other and he said, "WSI?" :D:

There were way too many Sox fans sitting in the outfield area that are still very confused about the fact that Sox fans don't throw back the opposing team's home run balls. Please help us clear this up once and for all.

Realist
05-18-2005, 12:30 AM
Okay, I'm using that line!

Good call!

Realist
05-18-2005, 12:40 AM
You could highlight Nancy Faust. Not only is she the best in the business, and is the standard against which other ballpark organists are measured, but she is also a one-woman public-relations department. She's always friendly, she enjoys seeing and talking with people (incredibly, even as she's playing), she does singalongs, and she enjoys kids too.

Nancy's an incredible asset. The old-timers (uh, like me) know her and she's hip enough with the music to appeal to the kids too.

Great idea. I thinking promoting Nancy is classy and will probably touch a nerve with people that are tapped into the Sox history and fun fond memories of going to the park at a more innocent time in their lives. Nancy Faust is a huge tie to a nostalgic period for a lot of people that now have little ones old enough to enjoy the experience of going to a baseball game. I'd like to think that many people that now have kids will want to pass on the fun experience.

When I think of going to games as a little guy, Nancy is a big part of the memories.

voodoochile
05-18-2005, 01:03 AM
Okay, I got an idea for an anti-fan campaign and it lends itself well to radio. You want to attract families, it never hurts to show them exactly what they are getting into when they go to Wrigley. It's a bar district and it's a zoo.

Cue snippets of conversation...

"Dude, I am soooo wasted - you think they'll still serve me?"
"Yeah, no one ever gets cut off in Wrigleyville."
"Cool... glad we left after they cut off beer sales in the 7th... anyone catch the score?"
"Who cares..."
"Yeah... who cares?"
(sound of police siren and angry yelling in the background)

Cue sounds of the street.

(baseball bat hits car hood) "Look where your going... (honking horn drowns out explative)!"
"Mommy I'm scared. Why did that man hit our car? Is he going to attack us?"
"Don't worry, honey... they're just flubs fans upset because their team lost again. Once we get a couple of blocks away, it will be alright. Won't it dear?"
(husband replies) "Uh... I think so... (under breath) man there are a lot of drunks on the street. Where are the cops keeping order?"
(bottle breaks in background drunks begin to yell) "WOOOHOOOO! I am soooooo wasted!" (sound of someone puking) "Hey hold up, I gotta' pee!"
(daughter screams in fear) "MOMMMMMMMY!"
"Bill, DO something! That man is flashing your 8 year old daughter!"
(voices get louder taunting) "Yeah Bill! DO SOMETHING...." (loud laughter)
(another bottle breaks) (someone else pukes) (more sirens)
(Bill) "That does it. I'm never going to take my family to another game in this awful neighborhood. Next time we'll go see the Sox!"

(Cue sounds of USCF)
(Fireworks exploding)
(Crowd cheering)
(young girl laughs and thanks her father for the dipping dots)
(Another firework explodes and the crowd responds) "OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH...."
(Cue the crowd singing "Kiss Him Goodbye")
(Young man's voice) "Dad can we go to FUNdamentals after the next Sox at bat?"
"Okay, son, but only if you show me how to throw a curve ball."
(Son laughs)
(Loud crack of the bat)
(Hawk Harrelson) "You can put it on the board... YES!!!"
(fireworks going off)