PDA

View Full Version : From Kittle's Book: Rich Dotson for Bill Caudill Trade?

Brian26
05-15-2005, 09:34 PM
I was reading Kittle's book last night, and I came across a really interesting couple of trade possbilities that were on the table for Roland Hemond that year. I assume, since this is coming straight from Kittle and Bob Logan, that's it's legit information.

Roland Hemond supposedly had an offer from the Mariners to acquire Bill Caudill (who was a pretty solid closer back in the day) for Rich Dotson. I remember Caudill most for his This Week in Baseball schtick of shaving half his beard off. Anyway, Hemond obviously passed on that trade and instead ended up swapping second basemen with the Mariners.

The other trade that was being considered was Buddy Bell from Texas straight up for Ron Kittle. Bell could have been an interesting third basemen for the Sox in '83, and Vance Law could have played short. Paciorek would have fit in nicely in LF with Squires/Walker at 1B.

Also mentioned by Kittle was that Detroit wanted him straight up for Lance Parrish, and the Sox would put Parrish at 3B. That may have been a typo or mistake though...Did Parrish come up as a 3B?

MarkyBear
05-15-2005, 10:41 PM
I shouldn't of read this post, I just read the first few pages last night! :o:

Brian26
05-15-2005, 10:53 PM
I shouldn't of read this post, I just read the first few pages last night! :o:

Didn't mean to post spoilers. Sorry :D:

Lip Man 1
05-15-2005, 11:01 PM
The genesis of the Caudill deal was when Jim Kern blew his elbow apart the second game of the season in Texas. Kern came to the Sox in September of 82 and based partly on his performance that September as well as his reputation (former A.L. saves leader) Sox management decided that he was going to be the closer in 83. After his injury that all changed.

Roland Hemond also tried very hard to get Ron Davis from the Twins with no luck.

As far as the Buddy Bell deal, that was a very strong rumor. S.I. had a story in April 83 in their Inside Baseball section that specifically mentioned how badly the Sox were trying to get him. Bell could hit and was also a Gold Glove 3rd baseman. I never knew Kittle was the asking price.

I always thought Lance Parish was a catcher.

Lip

Brian26
05-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Roland Hemond also tried very hard to get Ron Davis from the Twins with no luck.

As far as the Buddy Bell deal, that was a very strong rumor. S.I. had a story in April 83 in their Inside Baseball section that specifically mentioned how badly the Sox were trying to get him. Bell could hit and was also a Gold Glove 3rd baseman. I never knew Kittle was the asking price.

Kittle actually mentioned Ron Davis as a possible closer in the book the Sox were trying to pick up also. I guess the Salome Barojas/Dennis Lamp closer-by-committee wasn't their first choice that year.

I remember Jimmy Peirsall would constantly talk about the Sox needing to either pick up Buddy Bell from Texas to play 3B and Rick Manning from Cleveland to play CF. This was early in the year before he got canned on WMAQ, so he didn't have a clue as to how good Rudy Law would become.

A. Cavatica
05-16-2005, 12:07 AM
Hmmm...Larry Parrish had been a 3B with Montreal (up 'til 1981), then shifted to the outfield when he went to Texas, because of the presence of (you guessed it) Buddy Bell. If the Sox had not been able to get Bell from Texas, they might've thought about getting Parrish and moving him back to third. That sounds a lot more plausible than getting Lance Parrish and moving him to a position he'd never played before (at least in the majors).

Maybe Kittle remembers it wrong?

dickallen15
05-16-2005, 08:20 AM
I sat next to Roland Hemond at a spring training game in Ft. Lauderdale against the Yankees in 1984. He's a great guy and will talk about anything. He mentioned the White Sox had worked out a trade for Doug DeCinces but doctors determined his back was too much of a risk.

skottyj242
05-16-2005, 12:59 PM
My parents went to Chicago Ridge Mall on Saturday and got me Kittle's book and had him sign it. Did anyone else go? My dad said that they had to wait in line for a little bit and when they got to the front he looked over and saw a book about the Yankmees and the sCrubs so he turned both of them backwards (he got that from me, whenever we're somewhere and there's other teams propoganda in a more visable spot than ours I'll move ours up front) but he said the lady's that were working kind of scolded him. He said Ron got a kick out of it though.

MarkyBear
05-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Didn't mean to post spoilers. Sorry :D:

LOL! It's cool, I'll just wait a week before reading again and it'll be forgotten!
:cool: