PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Figures it was those blasted Birds (83 & 88 flashbacks)

Bisco Stu
05-15-2005, 05:10 PM
No surprise it was the O's that ended the Sox' amazing streak of leading in the first 37 games. Congrats, Pale Hose, btw!!!

88, it was the O-21's who got their first win against....the Sox. Wanted to bury my head in the Loyola Beach sand after that embarassment.

And of course, those of us 25 years or older all remember the agonizing 1983 ALCS when we lost to an inferior O's squad. The O's were superior to the overrated Wheeze Kids (NL sucked that year) don't get me wrong, but we WERE better than the O's in 83, overall.

Nard
05-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Those last two games were not okay.

tebman
05-15-2005, 05:15 PM
And of course, those of us 25 years or older all remember the agonizing 1983 ALCS when we lost to an inferior O's squad. The O's were superior to the overrated Wheeze Kids (NL sucked that year) don't get me wrong, but we WERE better than the O's in 83, overall.

Arrgh! I was at Game 4 at Comiskey Park and saw Britt Burns pitch the game of his life, only to lose after a homer by Tito Landrum (Tito who?). Then in the bottom of the 10th Greg Luzinski watched (watched!) 3 strikes go by.

You're right -- the Sox were the better team, but games aren't won on paper.

(muttering to himself) ...Tito Landrum!

NSSoxFan
05-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Bedard was on today, period. He is exactly the type of pitcher the Sox have had problems against. A lefty that throws his off-speed pitches for strikes and aces hitters with his fastball.

Oh well, let's start another streak tomorrow against Chan Ho Park.

Go Sox.

SoxSpeed22
05-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Figure it had to end sooner or later. Congratulations to the Sox for the streak, shattering the record to start the year. Btw, what is it with us getting screwed over by birds anyway? (O's and Blue Jays)

Jurr
05-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Bedard's a hot pitcher right now. He humiliated the Twins before playing us..he's just pitching that good. Contreras, meanwhile, let down his guard against the younger and lesser hitters, and proceeded to get smoked. Oh well. Our stopper goes tomorrow.

shoota
05-15-2005, 05:19 PM
Surprisingly, the only thing that disappointed me about today's loss was the end of that great 37-game lead streak. I was much more frustrated with yesterday's loss watching Garcia give up a 5-2 lead.

Good sign from today's game: Contreras looked better than his final line. He was much more efficient with his pitches and I believe it was the bullpen that allowed his inherited runners to score. He gave up two solo home runs to rookies and didn't let Baltimore's big men beat him. I like what I saw from Contreras today.

Bedard's a good pitcher.

Crede made an error on an easy grounder on what should have been the third out in the inning. Because of Crede's error, Baltimore added another run that inning.

I want to see the final scoring of Podsednik's steal of second base. Down 6-2 in the 8th, Pods stole second without a throw but the official scorer didn't credit Pods with a stolen base. I hope that's changed becuse it was far from indifference at that point in the game.

It feels good to lose a full game to Minnesota today and still hold a 5-game lead.

Kogs35
05-15-2005, 05:21 PM
new streak starts tomorow. :Rocker: :Rocker: :Rocker:

NSSoxFan
05-15-2005, 05:24 PM
new streak starts tomorow. :Rocker: :Rocker: :Rocker:

Do it for the naners Sox!

:bandance: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :bandance:

shoota
05-15-2005, 05:25 PM
***? Watching the postgame wrapup, Hawk has a SOX logo on his eyepatch! :rolling:

mdep524
05-15-2005, 05:30 PM
A bit of a 2004 offense today, no? Down by 5, we hit two solo HRs. Still, I'm not too worried. Bedard was dealing, but Contreras wasn't too bad himself. Just have to come back tomorrow night and get back in that "left column" as Chet Coppick used to say.

By the way, any time Konerko wants to pitch in to this offense, fine by me.

DickAllen72
05-15-2005, 05:33 PM

I was going to post the exact same thing.

You took the words right out of my mouth, or rather the words right off of my keyboard! :smile:

SOX ADDICT '73
05-15-2005, 05:37 PM
The sky is not falling, yet I find myself longing for April! After not losing back-to-back games for the first few weeks of the season, the Sox have been losing consecutive games every time lately (streaks of 3, 2, and now at least 2).

It puts me in a funk for a few days in a row, from the end of the first loss (or more specifically, the point in that game when it's clearly over - yesterday, for example, it was when Cotts took the field) until the end of the next win.

At least they've managed some nice long winning streaks in there, and I'm always flying high during those, but I'd like to limit my depression to 24-hour spurts, please. (cue West with the Peanuts "fan therapy" tag) :rolleyes:

Whitesox029
05-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Bedard was on today, period. He is exactly the type of pitcher the Sox have had problems against. A lefty that throws his off-speed pitches for strikes and aces hitters with his fastball.

Then God help us if Buehrle ever ends up somewhere else in the AL.

wsoxfan
05-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Frank the tank starts his minor league assignment tuesday so hopefully he'll be back soon cause we really need at least one of the guys in the middle of the order to start hitting...

SOX ADDICT '73
05-15-2005, 05:39 PM
Then God help us if Buehrle ever ends up somewhere else in the AL.
Haven't you heard? He's off to St. Louis the first chance he gets!

Tadahito
05-15-2005, 05:43 PM
We just split with an awesome team.
Not great, but not bad either.

El Duque is gonna be the stopper and get us back on track tomorrow.:supernana:

shoota
05-15-2005, 05:47 PM
Someone tell Cotts that if he insists on bringing his gascan to the mound, he can't empty the flammable bottle of aqua velva on his hair too.

SoxFan48
05-15-2005, 05:47 PM
We just split with an awesome team.
Not great, but not bad either.

El Duque is gonna be the stopper and get us back on track tomorrow.:supernana:

By the way what is this with Ozzie sending starters out for the 7th inning when they are struggling...Jose today, Freddie yesterday and in Tampa Bay last week, Buerhle in Oakland on a night he was throwing batting practice and we went to the bottom of the 7th with a 3 run lead.

When you have a good bullpen, you can close down the last three innings.

Daver
05-15-2005, 05:53 PM
By the way what is this with Ozzie sending starters out for the 7th inning when they are struggling...Jose today, Freddie yesterday and in Tampa Bay last week, Buerhle in Oakland on a night he was throwing batting practice and we went to the bottom of the 7th with a 3 run lead.

It is called giving your starter every opportunity to get a victory, and a motivational tool that shows he has confidence in his starting staff. It is one of the few managing decisions he has made that I agree with.

Lip Man 1
05-15-2005, 05:53 PM
Random Thoughts:

It will be interesting to see what this upcoming week brings. This is the first time this season the Sox have been in anything remotely called a 'slump,' having lost four of their last seven games. The hitters are still by and large having troubles...the pitching overall is still excellent, however Garcia and Contreras have had difficulty their last two starts each.

It was disappointing to take the first two games of the Baltimore series yet have to 'settle' for a sweep.

It was more disappointing to get beat by nobody's like Sal Fasano and David Newhan (who???)

Neal Cotts is reverting back to the Neal Cotts we all know and love so well.

On the plus side it's hard to argue with a 27-11 record and a five game divisional lead. The Sox need to work on some areas though before they turn out to be some major issues.

Go get the Rangers and try to win a game on ESPN.

Lip

batmanZoSo
05-15-2005, 05:56 PM
See, this is why I hate the four game series. We won 2 out of 3, it should've been over then. :wink:

I'm writing a letter to Bud Selig to petition the cancellation of the four-gamer.

CanBuehrleWait
05-15-2005, 06:01 PM
Sitting in the left field bleachers:
My observations:

I don't blame Jose ... he did everything he could to keep us in the game for 6 plus.

Neal buries us for the second day in a row. Granted we were down by 3 but 3-0 and 6-5 are alot easier to come back from then 5-0 and 9-5. Much rather had seen Politte.

Paulie still looks pretty bad up there. Whens the last time he's had an off day to clear his mind a bit... looks like he needs it.

Otherwise content with a 2-2 split. 3-1 would been much better though :smile:

DickAllen72
05-15-2005, 06:07 PM
Otherwise content with a 2-2 split. 3-1 would been much better though :smile:

I would have been content with a split if we were playing on the road, but not at home, especially after going up 2-0 at the beginning of the series.

A disappointing weekend for the Sox. Our offense better get it in gear this week against the Rangers and the Flubs. It's time for Paulie to start playing like an $8million hitter.

FarWestChicago
05-15-2005, 06:27 PM
At least they've managed some nice long winning streaks in there, and I'm always flying high during those, but I'd like to limit my depression to 24-hour spurts, please. (cue West with the Peanuts "fan therapy" tag) :rolleyes:You do need help. You have a serious problem. Blaming me for pointing out instances when you act like a total idiot is just shooting the messenger. :rolleyes:

Jjav829
05-15-2005, 06:29 PM

Agreed. Same for Dye. Everytime I see this guy step into the box, it reminds me of just how good we had it with Maggs. Figures, with all the greedy players in baseball who care more about money, we find the guy who turns down more money to honor his word. Why couldn't Jermaine Dye just be greedy like everyone else? Then he'd be sucking it up in Arizona and we might have a real rightfielder.

I don't know what Kenny is going to do, but his trading month is approaching fast. Hopefully he has a plan in place for a real rightfielder. And before someone brings it up, I'm still not sold on an Everett/Dye platoon.

I would have liked a series win, but Bedard was pretty good. Another nice crowd today, despite the not-so-great weather.

Hopefully the dreaded heart of the order starts hitting sometime soon.

mmmmmbeeer
05-15-2005, 06:30 PM
Did Marte and Politte get sent down to the minors and I just didn't notice??? Ozzie, it's a 3-0 game with a guy on 1st base/0 outs/7th inning. *** are you bringing mop up bullpen guys into the game for?!?!?!? Hold them at 3 runs with your best relievers and hope for the best. Instead, we're down 5-0 with our best relievers sitting on the bench collecting dust...for the second night in a row. I like Ozzie, I'm not trying to pin the blame on him. Ends up that the 3 run lead was enough for an O's win, but man, I just don't get that decision.

Contreras looked REALLY sharp today, I hope he can keep it up. His ERA today does not reflect the way he dominated the best hitting team in the majors.

Bedard looked unbelievable today. Hats off to him, he deserved that win. The Sox offense looked miserable but I believe that they actually had a decent excuse today facing a guy on his game like that.

shoota
05-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Did Marte and Politte get sent down to the minors and I just didn't notice??? Ozzie, it's a 3-0 game with a guy on 1st base/0 outs/7th inning. *** are you bringing mop up bullpen guys into the game for?!?!?!? Hold them at 3 runs with your best relievers and hope for the best. Instead, we're down 5-0 with our best relievers sitting on the bench collecting dust...for the second night in a row.

I said this last night. Ozzie CANNOT use Cotts as his first bullpen option in a close game! Either Ozzie believes Cotts is the best first bullpen option which makes him an idiot, or Ozzie is hoping that Cotts will turn into the best first bullpen option which makes him a fool.

Granted, like you said, the Sox didn't even score 3 runs today, but this managerial philosophy will cost us many games in the future.

FarWestChicago
05-15-2005, 07:09 PM
I said this last night. Ozzie CANNOT use Cotts as his first bullpen option in a close game! Either Ozzie believes Cotts is the best first bullpen option which makes him an idiot, or Ozzie is hoping that Cotts will turn into the best first bullpen option which makes him a fool.

Granted, like you said, the Sox didn't even score 3 runs today, but this managerial philosophy will cost us many games in the future.Sigh. And the worst part is I'm sure we could have been blessed with having you as the Sox manager for much less money than Ozzie. That could have gone to payroll.

SOX ADDICT '73
05-15-2005, 07:14 PM
You do need help. You have a serious problem.
Yeah, West. I get disappointed when my team plays poorly, and then I vent about it on a message board. Something is seriously wrong with me. And about three-quarters of the people who post here.

Blaming me for pointing out instances when you act like a total idiot is just shooting the messenger. :rolleyes:
Except you're not the messenger, you're the one sending the message. Look, I know this team is going to lose at least 50 more games, and some of those will come in bunches. One of the reasons I post here is so I can release a little frustration when that happens, without driving my wife up the wall. In a way, by giving me a chance to vent to others who might understand what I'm feeling, this forum serves as the very therapy you're recommending.

If we all have to chug the silver-and-black kool-aid, walk on eggshells to avoid posting anything negative, and pretend that everything's okay all the time, then I think this forum will have lost at least some of its value for those who post here.

NorthlakeTom
05-15-2005, 07:24 PM
There's a simple explanation for today's loss.

The baseball gods like to see mirror images between the first and last place teams in the AL Central. KC wins. We lose. KC, 11-27. Sox , 27-11.

I only wish this was true, but the Sox winning 100 and KC losing 100 is a distinct possibility.

StrTrkker
05-15-2005, 07:27 PM
I was at the game today and even tho the Sox lost my spirit for this team hasnt diminshed. We'll be back on track tomorrow nite with a win over the Rangers and start a new streak.

FarWestChicago
05-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Something is seriously wrong with me. And about three-quarters of the people who post here.The fact you recognize there is something wrong with you is a good start.
Except you're not the messenger, you're the one sending the message. Look, I know this team is going to lose at least 50 more games, and some of those will come in bunches. One of the reasons I post here is so I can release a little frustration when that happens, without driving my wife up the wall. In a way, by giving me a chance to vent to others who might understand what I'm feeling, this forum serves as the very therapy you're recommending.

If we all have to chug the silver-and-black kool-aid, walk on eggshells to avoid posting anything negative, and pretend that everything's okay all the time, then I think this forum will have lost at least some of its value for those who post here.You are wrong. I am the messenger. You act like an idiot. That is the message. Nobody says you have to be happy when the Sox lose. Many people are unhappy, myself included, when they lose and don't act like idiots. Believe it or not, these forums are not your own personal dumping ground. You don't own them. In fact, you aren't even a contributor. You're just a mooch looking for someplace to crap. You're looking in the wrong place.

soxfan26
05-15-2005, 07:31 PM
If we all have to chug the silver-and-black kool-aid, walk on eggshells to avoid posting anything negative, and pretend that everything's okay all the time, then I think this forum will have lost at least some of its value for those who post here.

Gee thanks for speaking for the rest of us, we all love the doom and gloom! Keep posting it and maybe the mods will even create your very own thread like HomeFish (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48295) got. :rolleyes:

ChiSoxGirl
05-15-2005, 07:52 PM
I was at the game today... BRRRR!!! It was a cold one out there, which didn't make the outcome of the game any more bearable. :(: I also came home with a severe case of windburn.

Today's lack of offensive firepower reminded me of a game from last season, as our lineup made Bedman look like Cy Young. I kept score and noticed that for the most part, Contreras kept us in the game- he just made that one mistake to that no-name on the Orioles early on, which was good. I wasn't a fan of the Cotts move in the 7th though, considering it's been a few days since Pollitte has gotten any work in.

Overall, it wasn't a good weekend at the ballpark for me, as I went 0-2, and traffic to and from the ballpark on 90/94 sucked big time both days. :whiner: However, I met whitesoxwilkes and his girlfriend out at the game today, as he was sitting 4 rows in front of me. It was nice to meet ya, Mike, and I look forward to meeting other WSIers at the ballpark this season. :smile:

Jurr
05-15-2005, 08:08 PM

Granted, like you said, the Sox didn't even score 3 runs today, but this managerial philosophy will cost us many games in the future.
It did look a little like concession the last two games by bringing in Cotts, though today's ballgame was the one true game that could have justifiably been conceded. Bedard shut down the Twins and wasn't looking like he was going to be serving up gifts to Sox hitters.

Last night, I was wondering why the Sox don't have a long reliever in place. Politte used to manage that role, but he's become more of a setup guy than a long reliever. We don't seem to have a RH long reliever, and that is a little disturbing. Any team can knock a starter around, which makes long relievers necessary. Viz, Marte, Politte, Shingo, and Hermanson are all late inning guys. Cotts is a long reliever, and we're without a RH long guy. Maybe that's something the Sox need to address at the deadline (or bring up Adkins for Walker??)

MRKARNO
05-15-2005, 08:21 PM
If you can win 2 of three when Buehrle, Garcia and Garland pitch and 1 of 2 when El Duque and Contreras pitch on a consistant basis, then that's 3 out of 5 and a .600 winning percentage. Over the course of a season, that's 97 wins, so as long as they do that, the White Sox should be fine.

ChiSox7
05-15-2005, 08:31 PM
The biggest problem right now is that the middle of our lineup just can't come up with the big hits when they matter. Konerko (.191), Dye (.120), AJ (.111) and Rowand (.238) are all embarassingly bad with runners in scoring position. Everyday goes by and you say that they can't continue to be so bad, and yet everyday they go out and hit just as badly. It is disconcerting that our best hitter with RISP is our leadoff hitter.

That has to change soon, especially with the stretch we are going into.

shoota
05-15-2005, 08:36 PM
Sigh. And the worst part is I'm sure we could have been blessed with having you as the Sox manager for much less money than Ozzie. That could have gone to payroll.

I like Ozzie and the job he's done. That was just one of the few complaints I have about his managerial decisions. Do you not agree that Cotts should not be the first man called on in a close game?

SluggersAway
05-15-2005, 09:18 PM
I'd like to deal with specifics rather than statistics. First of all these last two losses could serve us well in the future if we don't get too complacent, but realize we have to bring our A-game every day of every series. Losing two games to the second best team in baseball is not the end of the world (who would you rather lose to when you are number one?) This series was a good gauge of where we are at and where we want to be. Things look good when you are always in the game and let the opponents worst players and best pitcher beat you.

Letting go of the streak could also be a blessing in that it could have become a burden as we tried to get ahead early in games only to let the W get away from us.

Our pitching is nothing but outstanding and I just hope they keep it up. The onyl real problem is the middle of our line up has to start hitting. Konerko, Dye, and Rowand really need to start earning their paycheck. But, with the record we have it is tough to complain. The bullpen has also been great, with the exception of Ozzie bringing in Cotts the last two games (not the best option). Ceteris paribus, if the middle of our line up gets it together, we will be unstoppable. Go Sox!

DumpJerry
05-15-2005, 10:29 PM
However, I met whitesoxwilkes and his girlfriend out at the game today, as he was sitting 4 rows in front of me. It was nice to meet ya, Mike, and I look forward to meeting other WSIers at the ballpark this season. :smile:
Ok, how do all these WSIers meet each other at games? I always fans I get into converstions with and they have never heard of WSI.....we need a WSI game where we all sit in the same section or have a pre-game patio party or something. Of course if the friggin' temps ever get above freezing, we can wear WSI shirts for all to see.

I was there today:angry: . My first loss of the season.:whiner: Better be my last loss of the season. I was in 137, so Paulie was right in front of me when he went down in the 8th. He was really, really "upset" (I can't use the real word per WSI rules). Slammed down his bat, shin guard, elbow pad, looked like he was about to take his own head off (who else will be blame for striking out?) and otherwise looked totally frustrated. Maybe he's holding on too tight and needs a day or two off to get loose and relax.....

Ok gang, let's record 151 wins......

flo-B-flo
05-15-2005, 10:30 PM
***? Watching the postgame wrapup, Hawk has a SOX logo on his eyepatch! :rolling: I'm surprised there wasn't a picture of Riensdorf on it.:smile:

ChiSoxGirl
05-15-2005, 10:36 PM
Ok, how do all these WSIers meet each other at games? I always fans I get into converstions with and they have never heard of WSI.....we need a WSI game where we all sit in the same section or have a pre-game patio party or something. Of course if the friggin' temps ever get above freezing, we can wear WSI shirts for all to see.

I posted in last night's postgame thread and said I'd be there today, and mentioned what section I'd be in. That particular WSIer replied to my post that he'd be four rows in front of me and I could step down and say Hi if I wanted. I was actually sitting on the Fan Deck to avoid having that razor blade wind in my face today, and went over to where my seats were to say Hi. I took a stab and who he was and was right! :bandance: However, there has to be a better way to do this, rather than just taking a shot in the dark as to who the WSI people are!

Blueprint1
05-15-2005, 11:10 PM
The hitting is so bad right now its annoying. Paulie and Dye look horrible.

JB98
05-15-2005, 11:47 PM
The hitting is so bad right now its annoying. Paulie and Dye look horrible.

I'm frustrated with the middle of the order too. Dye did homer today, but that's more a case of a blind squirrel stumbling upon an acorn. Overall, he hasn't been giving us many quality at-bats.

A previous poster said Paulie needs a day off, and I agree. He's either doubting himself or he's pressing. I'm not sure which. Unfortunately, Gload is hurt, so we don't have anybody to give Konerko a break. He's just going to have to figure it out.

The upcoming road trip is going to be a tough one. In order for us to have success, I think someone in the middle of the lineup needs to get hot. Hopefully, Frank doesn't have any setbacks on his rehab assignment, and he'll be back sooner rather than later. Just his presence in the lineup will take the pressure off Konerko.

Today, though, I just tip my cap to Bedard. He was outstanding. He simply outpitched Contreras.

mdep524
05-16-2005, 12:58 AM
Today, though, I just tip my cap to Bedard. He was outstanding. He simply outpitched Contreras. I agree you can notch today's defeat up to Bedard pitching lights out. In general though, like you said, the middle of the order has to start producing.

Konerko's at bats are very predictable right now. Get a few strikes on him with fastballs, which he either fouls off or swings through, then throw an offspeed pitch down and watch him either flail away at it or hook a grounder to short. If you leave the pitch up, he'll pop it up to short LF.

I think if Konerko and Dye (and Crede for sure, but his average is solid) were more willing to use right field and just take their hits, they would be more successful right now. Instead of trying to murder the ball, just swing easy and get some singles or gappers to the opposite field. It's all so easy! :redneck That's why I love watching Rowand, Pods, Iguchi and Uribe bat- opposite field line drives.

StillMissOzzie
05-16-2005, 01:31 AM
I'm surprised there wasn't a picture of Riensdorf on it.:smile:

That's on the inside of the eyepatch!

SMO
:D:

SSN721
05-16-2005, 07:16 AM
Was there yesterday, little bit chilly and obviously the result wasnt too pleasing. The crowd made it a great atmosphere despite the weather and overall poor offensive play. Bedard was just lights out yesterday, really all their is to it. It is true that Konerko and Dye have to start stepping up, but today the whole lineup was handcuffed. Contreres did okay and under the circumstances of not going up against someone as lights out as Bedard was yesterday might have managed another win. Bringing in Cotts seemed like the surrender flag to me though. I still dont really get that, seems like Politte is not being utilized as much. But I guess in the end, it didnt matter. They seemed to pack it in after going 1-2-3 after the two solo shots. Just have to go and get Texas now.

Hangar18
05-16-2005, 08:30 AM
We had a chance to make a statement to the league, and to ourselves.
This series reminded me of that fateful, late-season Twins series here in Chicago. A 4 game sweep wouldve finished them off. A split in the series
would do us no good, only because we were heading there that very next week. That was also the game where Torii Hunter ran over our catcher.
We lost the next 2 and went into a tailspin. Thats whats dangerous about
a morale deflating loss like Saturday nite. Tadahito shouldve been player of the game for his hitting that nite ........

Saturday nites loss was just ugly, Freddy Garcia was all over the place,
and Ozz MUST do a better job and figuring out when pitchers are done.
Again, once we got the lead, we shouldve just went to the Pen to hang
on. We shouldve been winning 3 of 4 in this series because Our Donut shaped offense (Hole in the middle) was surely going to hurt us at some point.
The Orioles started playing with a lot of confidence after Freddy got torched for the home runs. He just didnt have it, and was a 2 pitch pitcher Saturday,
havnt seen him implode that badly in one inning since ....... Oh never mind.

LVSoxFan
05-16-2005, 09:54 AM
I was there Friday and Sunday. Friday was certainly a thriller; I thought we were sunk when down 3-0 but they pulled it out.

Yesterday was awful. I left in the 7th because the game was crawling, we had exactly two hits and it was freezing. I was amazed, however, at how many people were there--that was the biggest crowd I've seen so far this year.

All the great pitching in the world doesn't mean anything if you're gonna manage only 2 hits against a killer offense like Baltimore. These one-run game wins have been good to us, but I hardly want to depend on us holding on for dear life or managing a late-inning rally, because ultimately that will bring us down.

I think we all seem to agree that the middle of the lineup is the problem. I think Paulie needs a day off--he's getting so frustrated he can't even think straight.

And hey: now's the time to work things like this out--forget about the best start, the streak, etc.--the big start has been fun but I'm more concerned with how we're playing after June...

Flight #24
05-16-2005, 10:10 AM
I think we all seem to agree that the middle of the lineup is the problem. I think Paulie needs a day off--he's getting so frustrated he can't even think straight.

And hey: now's the time to work things like this out--forget about the best start, the streak, etc.--the big start has been fun but I'm more concerned with how we're playing after June...

Here's the key: Keep it together and keep winning by hook or by crook for the next...oh...20 days.

At that point, you're going to "magically" see a significant improvement in the offense, including guys like Konerko getting a lot more pitches to hit......

ChicagoHoosier
05-16-2005, 10:19 AM
So many posts with good points. Agree this could have been a statement game/series and we could have sent a message to everyone by taking 3/4 from the 2nd best record in baseball. Nothing we can do now but put it behind us, learn from it, and motivate us to sweep the Rangers!

As far as Cotts is concerned... what exactly is his problem? He looked GREAT against Toronto last weekend, but some times he just doesn't have it. I don't know him well enough to see what is making him ineffective.

Lastly, can Viz be our long RH RP? Or after that Cleveland series have we seen what happens to him after 2+ innings? Is there a hole in the bullpen?

Lip Man 1
05-16-2005, 12:19 PM
Hangar:

You're confusing the Twins series. Hunter running over Burke took place in mid season 2004.

The four game series with the Twins where a 'sweep would have finished them off,' took place in September 2003. Remember Jose' Paniagua?

Lip