PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas to Begin Rehab Tuesday

DickAllen72
05-15-2005, 12:13 PM
Per Bruce Levine. Starts in Ottawa this Tuesday.

DickAllen72
05-15-2005, 12:37 PM
They played a tape of Frank saying he's going with a positive attitude and just wants to work on running and getting some good at bats.

He says he will take NO fielding at all either down in the minors or any time this year.

Clembasbal
05-15-2005, 12:40 PM
Who is he going to be playing for?

Brian26
05-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Ottawa? Which Sox team will he be playing for? They're going to be on the road in Ottawa, or he's actually going to the Ottawa team?

The Wimperoo
05-15-2005, 02:40 PM
He'll be on Charlotte, who is playing in Ottawa.

RKMeibalane
05-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Ottawa? Which Sox team will he be playing for? They're going to be on the road in Ottawa, or he's actually going to the Ottawa team?

He will play for the Charlotte Knights (Triple A). They have a four-series with Ottawa this week, followed by another four-game set with Buffalo.

Lip Man 1
05-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Is it July already? LOL (referring to Levine's on air comments a few weeks ago that Frank wouldn't be back until July...)

Lip

RKMeibalane
05-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Just think about it, people. Frank Thomas and Joe Borchard in the same lineup!

RedPinStripes
05-15-2005, 06:41 PM
This makes him look real good. Not only that, it's the smart thing to do.

buehrle4cy05
05-15-2005, 06:43 PM
I'd like to see Frank back by early-mid June. This does beg the question of who sits? Is it Dye, Everett, or somebody else?

Ventura Fan 23
05-15-2005, 06:56 PM
About time man, I was so happy to hear he's starting as soon as Tuesday! I would be just fine if he posted 2002 numbers (that was the last time he came back from a major injury like this one), although I'd LOVE to see even better ones.

RKMeibalane
05-15-2005, 07:00 PM
This makes him look real good. Not only that, it's the smart thing to do.

Yes, it does, especially in light of the way Giambi is handling his mess with the Yankees. The guy is hitting below .200, and yet he won't even think about going down to Columbus to get his swing straightened out. Yet, Frank recognizes that because he hasn't played in almost a year, he needs to have some type of Spring Training session before he suits up for the Sox.

Thomas thinks he'll need about ten games, which would put his return a few days after the series with the Flubs. I'm looking forward to seeing him get back out there.

soxfan26
05-15-2005, 07:17 PM
I'd like to see Frank back by early-mid June. This does beg the question of who sits? Is it Dye, Everett, or somebody else?

You're kidding right? loosing Dye from the lineup would be a blessing. After Frank returns he should only be out there when Carl needs a day off.

NorthlakeTom
05-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Thomas thinks he'll need about ten games, which would put his return a few days after the series with the Flubs.
That would be great, but I don't think he'll be back before June.

If everything goes smoothly in Charlotte, I expect to see him pinch hitting on the road in Colorado and San Diego.

DickAllen72
05-15-2005, 08:14 PM
The big question isn't who will sit when Frank gets back, it's who will be cut to make room for Frank.

I'm sure Ozzie will fit Frank in while still giving Carl, Dye and the rest plenty of playing time. But if Gload is healthy by the time Frank returns, then they will have to cut another position player to make room.

Since Carl goes to the outfield, and Willie and Pablo also play outfield as well as infield, and Gload is needed to back up at 1B since Frank says he will not play the field at all, it looks like Timo should be the one to go.

Also since Frank is going to need a pinch runner from time to time, it's good to have two speedy guys like Willie and Ozuna on the bench. With the organization's shortage of middle infielders, they're not likely to let either one go anyway.

Barring Gload not being ready or another injury, it looks like Timo is gone, which has it's drawbacks as well since Timo is a good bench player and seems to be a big part of the team chemistry especially being a good buddy of Uribe. But that's baseball.

BRDSR
05-15-2005, 08:40 PM
The big question isn't who will sit when Frank gets back, it's who will be cut to make room for Frank.

I'm sure Ozzie will fit Frank in while still giving Carl, Dye and the rest plenty of playing time. But if Gload is healthy by the time Frank returns, then they will have to cut another position player to make room.

Since Carl goes to the outfield, and Willie and Pablo also play outfield as well as infield, and Gload is needed to back up at 1B since Frank says he will not play the field at all, it looks like Timo should be the one to go.

Also since Frank is going to need a pinch runner from time to time, it's good to have two speedy guys like Willie and Ozuna on the bench. With the organization's shortage of middle infielders, they're not likely to let either one go anyway.

Barring Gload not being ready or another injury, it looks like Timo is gone, which has it's drawbacks as well since Timo is a good bench player and seems to be a big part of the team chemistry especially being a good buddy of Uribe. But that's baseball.

I think its as likely as not that Kevin Walker will find himself back in the minor leagues. Ozzie has said that he wanted Walker up because he's a lefty reliever and the Sox have a couple of series with teams who have some power from the left side(Baltimore and Texas). It seemed to me that Ozzie was looking for some extra flexibility. Of course, I'm assuming he's not sent down when Gload comes back. On second thought, thats probably exactly when he'll be sent down. Which means he won't be here to be sent down when Frank comes back. Which means it will have to be someone else. All right, you all can just ignore this entire post while I attempt to remove my head from my ass. Thank you.

hsnterprize
05-15-2005, 08:50 PM
The biggest question of all is...how many members of the media will follow Frank during his rehab stint and post a daily "Frank Watch" within the sports sections/sports casts?

I was tempted to put that in teal, but considering how the Sox are playing right now, I wouldn't be suprized if that actually happened.

Deadguy
05-15-2005, 10:47 PM
It's about freaking time.

I hope Frank is in the lineup on May 27th (his 37th birthday), in Texas. That would give him 8 or 9 games in AAA, which probably won't be enough time, according to what he has been saying.

Plus, the trips to Colorado and San Diego follow from June 6th-June 12th, in which Frank would be relegated tp PHing duties, since he will not play 1B this season.

Since rehabilitations are limited to 20 days, that would place Frank on the White Sox around theonset of the interleague road trip, if he uses the maximum amount of rehabilitation time.

Rotoworld.com speculates that Thomas will use or not use the 20 day maximum period based on his performance. If there is a set back, Thomas will be shut down, and the 20 day period will start over at a later date.

A. Cavatica
05-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Timo should be the one to go.

I second.