PDA

View Full Version : Bring back the "GO..GO..GO" chant?

Nellie_Fox
05-15-2005, 01:52 AM
Watching Podsednik steal four bases again tonight, and seeing how much his mere presence on base rattles pitchers, got me to wondering. Is it time now to bring back the chant we all used to do when "Leetle Looie" was on base? The "GO..GO..GO..GO..GO" chant from the fans would add to how much the pitcher got screwed up.

I say we need to get it started whenever Podsednik is on base.

SOX ADDICT '73
05-15-2005, 02:14 AM
Watching Podsednik steal four bases again tonight, and seeing how much his mere presence on base rattles pitchers, got me to wondering. Is it time now to bring back the chant we all used to do when "Leetle Looie" was on base? The "GO..GO..GO..GO..GO" chant from the fans would add to how much the pitcher got screwed up.

I'd prefer that over what I heard on Thursday night. We were sitting on the right field side, and each time Pods took off for second, a bunch of idiots closer to the field shouted "THERE HE GOES!" And, of course, he got picked off both times.

I'm not saying it definitely tipped off Chen, but it couldn't have aided the element of surprise so crucial to stealing a base. If everyone shouted "GO..GO..GO" whenever he was on base, I think the pitcher would completely freak out.

chisoxfan64
05-15-2005, 06:48 AM

Sounds like a good idea to me. I`ll be there today and will gladly join in on the chant.

TornLabrum
05-15-2005, 08:59 AM

How many of us remember that chant? How many of us OFs are left?

Ol' No. 2
05-15-2005, 09:02 AM
How many of us remember that chant? How many of us OFs are left?**raises hand**

I'm with you 100%. The go-go chant used to really get into the pitchers' heads.

SOXintheBURGH
05-15-2005, 09:43 AM
Was the chant monosyllabic "Go! Go!" or different?

Ol' No. 2
05-15-2005, 09:49 AM
Was the chant monosyllabic "Go! Go!" or different?That's pretty much it. Just "Go! Go! Go!..." repeated again and again until he took off.

aniceItch
05-15-2005, 09:53 AM
I was there yesterday and there were this group of guys who started it. Some people joined, but there were also a lot of people who didnt. Im all for any chants.
There was even a group of ladies behind us who were changing it to "Go Po"..

davenicholson
05-15-2005, 10:17 AM
**raises hand**

I'm with you 100%. The go-go chant used to really get into the pitchers' heads.
Here's another OF who remembers that! I recall thinking that if I (*I*) chanted loudly and sincerely enough, I could personally convince a runner to steal! :redface:

BainesHOF
05-15-2005, 10:59 AM
The diehards will remember the last time we heard the "Go Go" chant was when Ron LeFlore joined us. I loved it. It's definitely time to bring it back.

nccwsfan
05-15-2005, 01:10 PM
Not an OF, but that's a great idea! Hopefully this will start up at one of the home games- he's running away with the Stolen Base crown (no pun intended).

BigEdWalsh
05-15-2005, 01:25 PM

:biged (raises hand) I think it would be awesome. I suggested this in a thread when the deal was made for Pods.

"That's pretty much it. Just "Go! Go! Go!..." repeated again and again until he took off." That was the cool thing. The chant would start on the first pitch to the next batter and repeat for every pitch.
I would love to see this catch on again.:bandance:

shoota
05-15-2005, 05:38 PM

I wasn't aware of this chant, but I like it. I would love to see and participate in it. If we did it with Zambrano pitching, his head would literally explode.

"Go! Go! Go!," or maybe a revised "Go Po Go! Go Po Go!"

edit: After it catches on, we could use the chant when Paulie's on first for comedic effect.

batmanZoSo
05-15-2005, 05:59 PM
We might as well do it just for the chance that it'll mess up the pitcher's head. It won't work on the veterans, but it'll ruin some of the young guys. And we wouldn't be giving anything away (going out on a limb here) because I'm pretty sure Scotty's thinkin' "take two" every time he gets on.

I never heard a clip of the old "GO GO GO" chant. How is it supposed to be done? Do you wait out a whole "note" between GOs (e.g. GO...GO...GO), or is it a quicker half-note kind of chant (i.e. GO, GO, GO)?

Palpidious
05-15-2005, 07:33 PM
i like the go.....go.....go.....with clappign and bangin from the movie major league. sounds like it will be rocking come playoff time. someone email this to brooks. just like the fanometer, i want teh podzill go go go meter

Nellie_Fox
05-16-2005, 01:10 AM
I never heard a clip of the old "GO GO GO" chant. How is it supposed to be done? Do you wait out a whole "note" between GOs (e.g. GO...GO...GO), or is it a quicker half-note kind of chant (i.e. GO, GO, GO)?Quick and stacato, kind of like the 120 beats per minute dance beat.

HomerCoach
05-16-2005, 08:36 AM
Sounds like a good idea. Those of you at the game tonight should start it on ESPN so the BoSox (official name now) or Spankees can't get credit for starting (or resurrecting)it.

Paulwny
05-16-2005, 12:43 PM

I still remember the chant.
It would aggrevate my father, when the sox were on the CBS Sat. game, and I joined into the Go-Go- chant.

ChicagoHoosier
05-16-2005, 02:48 PM
So, we all in? We doin it tonight??

Ol' No. 2
05-16-2005, 03:00 PM
So, we all in? We doin it tonight??I'm down.