PDA

View Full Version : Oddity

Lip Man 1
05-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Of the 10 Sox losses half have come where the offense scored at least five runs.

4/7 Cleveland 5 runs
4/14 @ Cleveland 6 runs
4/26 @ Oakland 7 runs
5/10 @ Tampa Bay 6 runs
5/14 Baltimore 6 runs

I only mention this because of a comment by Ozzie a few days ago that he thinks when a team gets a lot of runs, pitchers lose focus and start saying 'here hit the ball...'

Maybe these guys pitch better when it's a close, low scoring game?

Oh well...go get them tomorrow. It's needed. Hope Freddy can shake off the blahs.

Lip

SoxFan48
05-14-2005, 09:26 PM
...you are now our #5 starter.

ilsox7
05-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Of the 10 Sox losses half have come where the offense scored at least five runs.

4/7 Cleveland 5 runs
4/14 @ Cleveland 6 runs
4/26 @ Oakland 7 runs
5/10 @ Tampa Bay 6 runs
5/14 Baltimore 6 runs

I only mention this because of a comment by Ozzie a few days ago that he thinks when a team gets a lot of runs, pitchers lose focus and start saying 'here hit the ball...'

Oh well...go get them tomorrow. It's needed. Hope Freddy can shake off the blahs.

Lip

Very interesting. I really felt that is what happened to Freddy tonight. Need JC to throw a good one tomorrow and take the series.

PAPChiSox729
05-14-2005, 09:29 PM
And they say Corpseball is a bad thing!

:tongue:

munchman33
05-14-2005, 09:37 PM

4/7 Cleveland 5 runs
4/14 @ Cleveland 6 runs
4/26 @ Oakland 7 runs
5/10 @ Tampa Bay 6 runs
5/14 Baltimore 6 runs

Lip

That is odd. Perhaps it's because in games where we score a lot of runs, Ozzie is willing to go to the pen sooner?

Lip Man 1
05-14-2005, 10:17 PM
Munch:

Good question can you check the box scores on this?

Lip

jeremydavid
05-14-2005, 10:21 PM
I feel like this year's team turns it on when they have to offensively or pitching-wise. So when the pitching sucks our offense seems to work out a little better at least keeping those five games pretty winnable... IMO.

mccoydp
05-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Is it just me, or has Freddy looked like he's laboring through his games recently? He's not looking sharp as of late.

munchman33
05-14-2005, 11:43 PM
Munch:

Good question can you check the box scores on this?

Lip

April 7th: Contreras goes only six, leading 5-1. Ozzie then uses six relievers in extra inning loss.

April 14th: El Duque gives up six runs (4 earned) in six innings and leaves down a run. Pen fails to keep us close enough.

April 26th: Buehrle leaves after seven innings, giving up seven runs but leaving a tied game. Pen subsequently lets game get out of reach.

May 10th: El Duque gives up 4 runs in only five innings, but leaves with a chance for a win. Fat chance, as pen promptly blows lead by giving up three runs late.

May 14th: Today's disaster was all Freddy. Ozzie should've pull him an inning earlier.

Otherwise, a case could be made for every other day, even for the day Buehrle gave up seven. In that game, he only threw 99 pitches.

FarWestChicago
05-14-2005, 11:58 PM
Is it just me, or has Freddy looked like he's laboring through his games recently?It's just you.

Palpidious
05-15-2005, 12:07 AM
even in a tight game freddy garcia loses focus. HE should be the 5th starter and move garland to #2

(did i just really type that???)

IowaSox1971
05-15-2005, 02:07 AM
Baltimore is a good-hitting team, and the Orioles are going to make a lot of pitchers look bad this season. Perhaps Garcia could have been pulled earlier, but Ozzie has shown that he wants to give his starters the benefit of the doubt. For the most part, that strategy has worked.

Dan H
05-15-2005, 08:16 AM

4/7 Cleveland 5 runs
4/14 @ Cleveland 6 runs
4/26 @ Oakland 7 runs
5/10 @ Tampa Bay 6 runs
5/14 Baltimore 6 runs

Lip

I interviewed Gary Peters for the book I am writing now, and he said one reason Sox ERAs were low during the '60's was that pitchers knew they wouldn't have many runs to work with. He said they couldn't just let batters hit it so they had to be more fine with their location.

Also, aren't the Sox supposed to rely more on their pitching and defense this year? If the pitching fails, then they just might lose.

starboy0
05-15-2005, 08:34 AM
Is it just me, or has Freddy looked like he's laboring through his games recently? He's not looking sharp as of late.

It's not just you. He looked horrible tonight and for the 2nd start in a row couldn't hold a lead.

Hopefully it's nothing; just a couple of starts where nothing much was working. Every pitcher's going to have that.

Wonder if he's one of those guys who needs warm weather to get into the zone?

fquaye149
05-15-2005, 10:53 AM
i suppose if i'm ever curious which way the wind is blowing, i can always open up WSI and see the knee-jerks

Palpidious
05-15-2005, 10:59 AM
i suppose if i'm ever curious which way the wind is blowing, i can always open up WSI and see the knee-jerks

garcia you would have to say is just as shaky as contreras. you cannot predict what type of outing you will get from him. but there is no mistake that at some point during the game he will lose focus and just give up dumb runs.

downstairs
05-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Yeah, but that's 5/10. Which means 5/10 times we lose and score less than 5 runs.

There's been losses of 5-2, 2-1, 3-2, 5-4, 4-2 in there as well.

I honestly can't see any losing *trends* on this team... which is good! Unless you plan on going 162-0, you're going to lose some games.

As long as there is no overarching trend or reason that we lose games, I think we'll be fine.

Take a look at the Flubs. They have a glaring trend- losing games in the 8th and 9th. Its a weakness that should prohibit a good season.

FarWestChicago
05-15-2005, 11:38 AM
i suppose if i'm ever curious which way the wind is blowing, i can always open up WSI and see the knee-jerksYes, with a special emphasis on the very last part.

SoxWillWin
05-15-2005, 03:20 PM
even in a tight game freddy garcia loses focus. HE should be the 5th starter and move garland to #2

(did i just really type that???)

I think we can "consider" Garland #2 and Garcia #5, but actually changing thier place in the rotation could be a bad idea. It could dessimate any confidence Garcia has and put more pressure on Garland to perform, both scenarios could be harmful.

munchman33
05-15-2005, 06:01 PM
SoxWillWin that is an awesome sig!

Lip Man 1
05-15-2005, 07:19 PM
Dan:

Just wondering...last I heard you were doing a book on the 77 Sox. Why Gary Peters?

Lip

Paulwny
05-16-2005, 01:00 PM
I interviewed Gary Peters for the book I am writing now, and he said one reason Sox ERAs were low during the '60's was that pitchers knew they wouldn't have many runs to work with. He said they couldn't just let batters hit it so they had to be more fine with their location.

Also, aren't the Sox supposed to rely more on their pitching and defense this year? If the pitching fails, then they just might lose.

Thie was evident in 1960. Veeck went out and obtained some power hitters, Sievers, Freese and Minoso. The pitching staff then went south, sox finished 3rd.
1959-era3.29 runs--669--- hr---97
1960-era 3.60 runs--741 ---hr---112
Pitchers expected the sox to score more and weren't as sharp.