PDA

View Full Version : Do we really want the hype?

hsnterprize
05-14-2005, 07:55 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think it's worth discussing even though this subject may be a "dead horse". With all the talk about "not getting enough attention", I think it's time we really took a long look and thought to ourselves, "Do we really want the hype that other teams in the past have had?" I think that's a valid question, and I confess I'm a little wishy-washy about it.

On one hand, I think it's more than a valid complaint by Sox fans who have been force-fed nothing but Cubbie-hype for so long. I think it's a good thing when Cubs fans have to just sit and watch as the Sox continue to dominate the American League. While there is plenty of season left, I can't help but go along with the "conspiracy theory" that if the Cubs were playing this well, and let's say...Kerry Wood is 7-0, Derrek Lee is leading the majors in homers, and the Cubs' pitching staff is #1 as a team in just about every category, you KNOW we'd never hear the end of it. Hangar18 would be pulling his hair out every day with story after story about "The Curse Is Lifted", "This is the Year", "Steve Bartman Is Forgiven", and all other types of Cubbie overkill. If you thought the overkill of Cub hype during the 2003 playoffs and 2004 was bad, this year would be worse...I'd guarantee it. So since this is the White Sox playing this well, and not some team based on the north side of Chicago, too many people in the local and national media feel everything from "This is a fluke", to "Sox are fooling 'em again", to just about anything to say, "The White Sox aren't worthy of respect even though they have the best record in baseball because...(fill in the blank)." We've seen enough of that already, and I think that even until something big happens like the Sox at least clinching the division, the pessimism and outright Cubbie denial will rear its ugly head. If only Dave Wills was here...he'd know how to shut up the critics.

On the other hand, the low expectations by the media and the "so-called experts" have made this phenomenal start by our team that much more enjoyable. With all the criticisms by those who call themselves "knowledgeable" about the game, there is a little sense of vindication the team and us fans can feel. It's like a case of "look who's laughing now?" Not to mention, look at the last set of teams from our city and state that have been hyped up like mad...only to fall when it mattered the most. If you need recent examples, look to the 2004-05 Bulls, the 2004-05 University of Illinois Mens' Basketball team, and the 2003 Cubs. All three of those squads received a ton of hype as they advanced farther than anyone expected them to. The Bulls started this season 0-9...yet they found themselves with not only 47 regular season wins, but a ton of attention as they made their first playoff appearance in 7 years. The Fighting Illini were predicted to be a good team, but not even the experts of college basketball thought the orange and blue would finish the regular season with only 1 loss, and make their way to the national championship. And, as much as we Sox fans hate to admit it, the 2003 Cubs were a team that surprised a lot of people by winning the National League Central Division, and getting closer to a World Series than either Chicago baseball team in recent memory. But all of those teams have something in common...once they got into the spotlight, they received a ton of praise, admiration, and hype from just about every media group imaginable. Local newscasts devoted much of their nightly newscasts to the teams afore mentioned. There were special sections printed in newspapers with plenty of ink designed to pump the team and their fans up. But when all the action on the field of play was done...those beloved teams and their fans left with their collective heads between their legs because the team that was supposed to win...LOST. It's easy believe to a certain degree that a bunch of hype could do more harm then good to a team. Even when a team says the right things with such cliches as "We respect the _______________", "Take only one game at a time.", and other items that try to silence the overkill of talk from sports talk radio stations and fans of said teams within the local media, there's no stopping the heads of TV and radio stations, and newspapers that want as much attention to a teams' success that they can squeeze into their respective forum.

When it comes to our Sox, I really feel a lot of people in the local and national press are trying everything they can to downplay our team's success. Let's face it...who would've thought the White Sox would be this good? Other than us die-hard fans, not too many others really gave this team a chance. Far too many people disregarded this squad because of what they gave up, and didn't pay too much attention to what this team had. A power-dominated lineup didn't work over the past few years...there was a need for a makeover. And I'm glad Kenny Williams took the chances he did to build this team like he did. Of course he took a lot of heat for his decisions, but that comes with the territory. Now, the Sox have the best record in all of baseball, and all the experts are looking more and more foolish with every win the Sox muster.

Maybe this "lack of respect" could really serve as legitimate motivation for our palehose. There's nothing like having a "chip on your shoulder" when you're doing your job...giving you that extra "oomph" to do your job better than everyone else. And I admit I'm glad entities like ESPN, the Sporting News, and other nationally-recognized sports media are acknowledging the Sox' success. However, if the Sox are to continue their winning ways, they can't "read the headlines" and believe what the authors say. If a lack of respect is a problem, an overindulgence of it is also bad. There's nothing like a team not playing like their hungry because they've been fed a bunch of hype from the press. Just look at other recent teams that seemed to be given more hype than substance. Too much hype is almost a sure sign of a loss when it matters the most...someone on the other team will get motivation to try and make the media look like fools. We know how it feels when it happens to teams we don't like...imagine what it'll be like if it happens to a team we actually care about.

FarWestChicago
05-14-2005, 08:14 PM
I don't want the assclowns at ESPN the Tabloid to like our Sox. I don't want the assclowns at the Cubune, Cub Times and other Chicago mediot outlets to like our Sox. We know how despicable, ignorant and honorless these individuals are. Stay away. I want nothing to do with them.

SoxSpeed22
05-14-2005, 08:32 PM
I don't want the assclowns at ESPN the Tabloid to like our Sox. I don't want the assclowns at the Cubune, Cub Times and other Chicago mediot outlets to like our Sox. We know how despicable, ignorant and honorless these individuals are. Stay away. I want nothing to do with them.Well said. Under the Radar!!!:cheers:

soxinthecity
05-15-2005, 08:13 AM
I don't want the assclowns at ESPN the Tabloid to like our Sox. I don't want the assclowns at the Cubune, Cub Times and other Chicago mediot outlets to like our Sox. We know how despicable, ignorant and honorless these individuals are. Stay away. I want nothing to do with them.

i second that, but these same media outlets are all about money and the Sox are hot, so they're gonna ride the money train all the way!

WHITE
O
R
L
D

SOX
E
R
I
E
S