PDA

View Full Version : Gammons loses it on WEEI

Fenway
05-14-2005, 04:13 PM
The Gammons haters will love this

Peter Gammons - May 12th (http://rope.weei-am.fimc.net/audio/Gammons_BS_0512.wma)

http://bostonsportsmedia.com/
Manny Ramirez was a topic on WEEI Thursday when Peter Gammons made his weekly appearance. He noted the "complete disappearance" of Ramirez "as a real player". He went on to say that David Ortiz, not Ramirez, is the dominant force in the Red Sox lineup. Michael Felger of the Boston Herald questioned whether he was saying that just because Manny was struggling right now. Gammons answered with a force and anger in his voice not heard previously. He told Felger "Michael, watch the games" and said that Ortiz has been the better hitter for two years. Felger responded by saying that all he hears about is Manny being the best right handed hitter in the game. Gammons exploded again. Demanding twice to know "who said that??" dismissing that claim as not even worthy of discussion and asking Felger if he had ever heard of Albert Pujols. The whole incident was pretty odd.

What's also odd is that as recently as six months ago, Gammons was saying those things about Manny. On December 23, 2004 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1952688) Gammons wrote:Take Manny Ramirez. He is the classic "bad contract." He cleared waivers a year ago and nearly got traded to the Mets. He also happens to be close to the best right-handed hitter in the game, he is a very nice person without any evil intent, he has the right priorities (a World Series ring and the Hall of Fame over the MVP) and by and large played very hard.

There are other references in the ESPN archives where Gammons makes similar claims.
and for those of you who remember Michael Holley? Terry Francona just hung him out to dry in this interview. I didn't think Francona had it in him

May 11, 2005 - Terry Francona - Red Sox Manager (http://rope.weei-am.fimc.net/audio/051105Francona.wma)

balke
05-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Maybe "Close" was the key word, and the radio guys saying he's heard Manny IS the best RH hitter in the game was what got the bug up his butt. Maybe Gammons is like me and is waiting for ManRam to stop hitting so well, so he can stop being a disgrace to the game with his walk around the bag homeruns, and more than occasional HORRIBLE left field play. Pujols da man.

Gammons has gotten pretty old in the past year and a half or so. He doesn't seem as on point as he used to be. Earlier this week he was talking about the White Sox, and I think Ravech said "Right in first, where you picked them all along eh Peter?" And Peter got kinda defensive and was like "WHAT?! I thought they'd do well, I picked them 3rd... or 4th maybe, no 3rd I picked them 3rd. He's probably just old and crabby.

fquaye149
05-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Maybe "Close" was the key word, and the radio guys saying he's heard Manny IS the best RH hitter in the game was what got the bug up his butt. Maybe Gammons is like me and is waiting for ManRam to stop hitting so well, so he can stop being a disgrace to the game with his walk around the bag homeruns, and more than occasional HORRIBLE left field play. Pujols da man.

Gammons has gotten pretty old in the past year and a half or so. He doesn't seem as on point as he used to be. Earlier this week he was talking about the White Sox, and I think Ravech said "Right in first, where you picked them all along eh Peter?" And Peter got kinda defensive and was like "WHAT?! I thought they'd do well, I picked them 3rd... or 4th maybe, no 3rd I picked them 3rd. He's probably just old and crabby.

um not to draw the ire of the board, but i think right now manny at least as good a hitter as pujols.

Clearly, you'd rather have Pujols for the future, but the fact is Manny puts up sensational numbers year in and year out. The ceiling's higher with Albert, but with Manny you know you're getting .300+++ 30+ 120+. You can put those numbers in the bank and borrow on the interest.

His seasonal average is .314 41 134 which is absolutely nauseating. Throw in a .410 OBP...and, well.

Pretty comparable to Pujols' .333 41 130 .413, then consider that Manny has done his over 10+ years.

It's hard to let Pujols sprint away with the title.

Palpidious
05-15-2005, 07:18 PM

actually i was impressed that gammons was like "naw, man i didn't pick them 1st. i dismissed them all together"

PaulDrake
05-16-2005, 05:46 PM
and for those of you who remember Michael Holley? Terry Francona just hung him out to dry in this interview. I didn't think Francona had it in him

May 11, 2005 - Terry Francona - Red Sox Manager (http://rope.weei-am.fimc.net/audio/051105Francona.wma) Great audio link here Fenway! Very much enjoyed that. Weren't they all making "nice" through such clenched teeth? Francona really gave it to Holley. After a while I almost felt sorry for him. Almost. His Pulitzer Prize meant nothing here.

Randar68
05-16-2005, 05:51 PM
um not to draw the ire of the board, but i think right now manny at least as good a hitter as pujols.

Clearly, you'd rather have Pujols for the future, but the fact is Manny puts up sensational numbers year in and year out. The ceiling's higher with Albert, but with Manny you know you're getting .300+++ 30+ 120+. You can put those numbers in the bank and borrow on the interest.

His seasonal average is .314 41 134 which is absolutely nauseating. Throw in a .410 OBP...and, well.

Pretty comparable to Pujols' .333 41 130 .413, then consider that Manny has done his over 10+ years.

It's hard to let Pujols sprint away with the title.

Except Pujols is a VERY good 1st baseman and was an average outfielder. Manny is a walking disaster anywhere you put him.

Pujols is far and away a better "baseball player" IMO.

NonetheLoaiza
05-18-2005, 08:23 PM
The Gammons haters will love this

Peter Gammons - May 12th (http://rope.weei-am.fimc.net/audio/Gammons_BS_0512.wma)

http://bostonsportsmedia.com/
Manny Ramirez was a topic on WEEI Thursday when Peter Gammons made his weekly appearance. He noted the "complete disappearance" of Ramirez "as a real player". He went on to say that David Ortiz, not Ramirez, is the dominant force in the Red Sox lineup. Michael Felger of the Boston Herald questioned whether he was saying that just because Manny was struggling right now. Gammons answered with a force and anger in his voice not heard previously. He told Felger "Michael, watch the games" and said that Ortiz has been the better hitter for two years. Felger responded by saying that all he hears about is Manny being the best right handed hitter in the game. Gammons exploded again. Demanding twice to know "who said that??" dismissing that claim as not even worthy of discussion and asking Felger if he had ever heard of Albert Pujols. The whole incident was pretty odd.

What's also odd is that as recently as six months ago, Gammons was saying those things about Manny. On December 23, 2004 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1952688) Gammons wrote:Take Manny Ramirez. He is the classic "bad contract." He cleared waivers a year ago and nearly got traded to the Mets. He also happens to be close to the best right-handed hitter in the game, he is a very nice person without any evil intent, he has the right priorities (a World Series ring and the Hall of Fame over the MVP) and by and large played very hard.

There are other references in the ESPN archives where Gammons makes similar claims.

May 11, 2005 - Terry Francona - Red Sox Manager (http://rope.weei-am.fimc.net/audio/051105Francona.wma)

Man, I sure am glad that someone asked these "experts" if they actually research what they say/write. It's obvious they do not. Holley was way over his head and looked like an idiot.

Tragg
05-19-2005, 12:39 AM

Manny gets extra points for his showmanship; his left field acrobatics when snaring lazy pop-ups are good for extra attendance and fan entertainment.

samram
05-19-2005, 12:44 AM
Manny is a walking disaster anywhere you put him.

This is true, but what happened to Manny defensively? Early in his career, I remember his being decent with the glove and having a cannon for an arm. Did he just lost interest?

fquaye149
05-19-2005, 04:05 AM
Manny gets extra points for his showmanship; his left field acrobatics when snaring lazy pop-ups are good for extra attendance and fan entertainment.

k guys, but we're talking about HITTING

balke
05-19-2005, 08:22 AM
k guys, but we're talking about HITTING

Manny's a great hitter. Pujols is just better, and always will be. Besides Manny's 2000 season, PUjols has consistantly put up equal or better #'s at a younger age. By the age of 28, I'd expect Pujols to put up a Manny-esque 2000 type season. He'll never walk the bases after hitting hr's, and won't humiliate himself in the field either.

Then there's Ichiro who's a great RH hitter, but doesn't have OPS or power. He steals bases and is a avg. and run scoring machine though.

fquaye149
05-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Manny's a great hitter. Pujols is just better, and always will be. Besides Manny's 2000 season, PUjols has consistantly put up equal or better #'s at a younger age. By the age of 28, I'd expect Pujols to put up a Manny-esque 2000 type season. He'll never walk the bases after hitting hr's, and won't humiliate himself in the field either.

Then there's Ichiro who's a great RH hitter, but doesn't have OPS or power. He steals bases and is a avg. and run scoring machine though.

Where in any of the numbers did you see Pujols as A BETTER hitter than Manny?

Potential doesn't mean anything until it's achieved

Right now they are both the best right handed bats in baseball.

Pujols has the potential to be better.

Understand the difference?

VeeckAsInWreck
05-21-2005, 10:26 AM

Hate to break it to you, but Ichiro doesn't bat right handed.

balke
05-21-2005, 10:41 AM
Hate to break it to you, but Ichiro doesn't bat right handed.

You're right, I'm dumb. Don't know why I thought that.