PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Cuban

DrCrawdad
05-14-2005, 03:50 PM
The other day (on Comcast) Phil Rogers related observing Orlando Hernandez aka "El Duque" sitting outside the Sox Florida hotel. Phil said that El Duque was nattily dressed and pensively smoking a fine Cuban cigar. Phil said that El Duque carries himself as dignified, professional ballplayer.

Then in one game I saw El Duque in a conversation with Garland. I imagine that they were talking pitching, although God knows what really their conversation was about, but it looked like El Duque was acting as a pitching coach.

El Duque has pitched very well for the Sox and I like what he brings to the team. So at this point I'm loving the acquistion of El Duque.

http://www.varaderocigar.com/images/light-up.jpg

shoota
05-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Then in one game I saw El Duque in a conversation with Garland. I imagine that they were talking pitching, although God knows what really their conversation was about, but it looked like El Duque was acting as a pitching coach.

El Duque has pitched very well for the Sox and I like what he brings to the team. So at this point I'm loving the acquistion of El Duque.

During last night's game, I saw El Duque and Garland talking in the dugout. I laughed when I saw how goofy Garland looked with his hat sitting high on his head while taking bites of red licorish (sp?).

Like you, I was thinking how valuable Duque seems to be to our pitching staff. His work with Contreras is already documented. Like Sandy Alomar willingly working with Miguel Olivo, El Duque is doing the same with our pitchers. I like this guy and want him to be our pitching coach starting in 2006.

Brian26
05-14-2005, 07:30 PM
I like this guy and want him to be our pitching coach starting in 2006.

I don't know about that. Don't underestimate how much Don Cooper has helped this staff since coming on board. I like El Duque on the bench as a "2nd pitching coach" though.

shoota
05-14-2005, 09:54 PM
I don't know about that. Don't underestimate how much Don Cooper has helped this staff since coming on board. I like El Duque on the bench as a "2nd pitching coach" though.

I like Coop too.

Daver
05-14-2005, 09:58 PM

Don Cooper is the single reason for this staff's success thus far.

34 Inch Stick
05-15-2005, 11:30 AM
That's an overstatement but I agree with your confidence in him.

El Duque is signed through 2006 as a pitcher.

chisox06
05-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Why all the talk about El Duque as a coach? From the way it looks the guy can still pitch, regardless if he's 35, 40 whatever. Someday I think he would make a great pitching coach, but Coop already is one. Lets keep El Duque on the mound as long as we can.

Win1ForMe
05-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Don Cooper is the single reason for this staff's success thus far.

:rolleyes: Quite the hyperbole right there. He's probably helped Garland and Contreras, but the three other pitchers were already accomplished starters.

And how about we give some credit to the players themselves?

Daver
05-15-2005, 12:45 PM
:rolleyes: Quite the hyperbole right there. He's probably helped Garland and Contreras, but the three other pitchers were already accomplished starters.

And how about we give some credit to the players themselves?

He coached Buerhle from rookie ball all the way up, so your saying he hasn't helped him? Mark is the perfect example of Cooper's coaching philosphy, get it and throw it.