PDA

View Full Version : Is this the most confident you've felt at this point?

downstairs
05-14-2005, 01:22 PM
I've been a Sox fan since I was 6 in 1981, but have only honestly been old enough to understand the ins-and-outs of a season since the late '80s battles with the A's and the like.

I'm curious especially from those who have followed the team longer than I have... how does this start compare in terms of confidence in the team to other seasons (at this point in the season)?

I feel good, but just because we have our best record to this point ever, doesn't necessarily mean anything...

34 Inch Stick
05-14-2005, 01:41 PM
I was very confident in the early 90's team. The pitching was excellent (McDowell, Fernandez, Alvarez, Bere). The offense was diversified and clutch. And then came the strike.

The reason to feel confident with this team is because they do not go into a single game feeling overwhelmed by the pitching matchup. I cannot think of a single day this year where I looked at the early pitching line and said that is a loss. The same cannot be said for previous years.

NorthlakeTom
05-14-2005, 01:54 PM
I always have confidence in the team, so my opinion is a little tainted.

I first followed major league baseball in '67. I was 10 years old, and didn't understand everything yet, but I was a quick study. I did understand that the Sox led the league most of the season. Unfortunately, my "formative" years of following baseball were four of the worst seasons by a Sox team (not so much in '71). By '72, the Sox had a good team, and IIRC, were leading Oakland at the All Star break. That team finished in second but won one more game than east champs Detroit. That pissed me off to no end. It was the year when Washington moved to Texas, and the Sox brass wanted to be shifted to the eastern division to play long time rivals such as the Yankees, but Milwaukee was moved instead. That decision haunted me as the Sox may have won the division had they been moved to the east.

There were many good Sox teams throughout the years, and I've always followed and hoped. Yes, perhaps hope is more appropriate than confidence. ('83 went way past confidence, though.)

Ol' No. 2
05-14-2005, 02:19 PM
I was feeling pretty good starting the season in 2001. They had almost all of the key players back (though not for long) and had added David Wells. The atmosphere in the park was electric that first month or two. Then...the best laid plans and all that stuff.

cbone
05-14-2005, 02:28 PM
An old time Sox fan called in to the Score this morning a made a lot of comparisons between the 1959 World Series team and this years Sox. It made a lot of sense. Great pitching, a solid bullpen, and a #1 and 2 hitter that really shook things up on the bases. He was very confident this team has what it takes! Personally I am just amazed at how they keep finding ways to win. It is incredible.

rwcescato
05-14-2005, 02:38 PM
I always have confidence in the team, so my opinion is a little tainted.

I first followed major league baseball in '67. I was 10 years old, and didn't understand everything yet, but I was a quick study. I did understand that the Sox led the league most of the season. Unfortunately, my "formative" years of following baseball were four of the worst seasons by a Sox team (not so much in '71). By '72, the Sox had a good team, and IIRC, were leading Oakland at the All Star break. That team finished in second but won one more game than east champs Detroit. That pissed me off to no end. It was the year when Washington moved to Texas, and the Sox brass wanted to be shifted to the eastern division to play long time rivals such as the Yankees, but Milwaukee was moved instead. That decision haunted me as the Sox may have won the division had they been moved to the east.

There were many good Sox teams throughout the years, and I've always followed and hoped. Yes, perhaps hope is more appropriate than confidence. ('83 went way past confidence, though.)

Yes to start a season this year is way beyond comprension. But in 1983 seaon I knew that a win was coming every day. But that season started slow and I really did not have that confidence until a few weeks after the all-star break. Which was in Comiskey by the way. I was just reading the Baseball Prospectus preview issue. It basically laughed at the Sox and said our time has come and gone. The last sentenced said we would spend more time next to KC than to any other position in our division. Don't you just love the experts.
Rich:bandance:

ja1022
05-14-2005, 02:50 PM
I was probably most confident in the 1984 club, coming off the '83 season, and with basically the same club that won 99 games. They'd lost Koosman but replaced him with Seaver. In fact I kept thinking they were going to go on a run as late as Labor Day and win the relatively weak central. Going in to this year, I felt like this team could go 70-90 as easily as it could go 90-70. I couldn't seem to get a handle on what I thought about them. Now, six weeks in, I really like this team. It reminds me a lot of the '90 team. I still don't know about Ozzie as a tactical manager, but I love the way he's got the guys playing hard every inning of every game. It really is a hell of a run to be in every game 36 games into the season.

FarWestChicago
05-14-2005, 03:54 PM
I was feeling pretty good starting the season in 2001. They had almost all of the key players back (though not for long) and had added David Wells. The atmosphere in the park was electric that first month or two. Then...the best laid plans and all that stuff.2001 fell apart one night in the ninth inning in the Baggie Dome when the hero of some completely melted down. The Twins have owned us ever since. :(:

Ol' No. 2
05-14-2005, 04:03 PM
2001 fell apart one night in the ninth inning in the Baggie Dome when the hero of some completely melted down. The Twins have owned us ever since. :(:To this day I can't think about that game without incurring a trobbing pain at the back of my neck. But in reality, it was already beginning to unravel weeks before. Thomas' triceps and Wells' back, among other injuries were taking their toll.

FarWestChicago
05-14-2005, 04:06 PM
To this day I can't think about that game without incurring a trobbing pain at the back of my neck. But in reality, it was already beginning to unravel weeks before. Thomas' triceps and Wells' back, among other injuries were taking their toll.Yes, there were signs. The Baggie Dome Meltdown was Armageddon.

Ol' No. 2
05-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Yes, there were signs. The Baggie Dome Meltdown was Armageddon.Not Rocky Biddle's rotator cuff injury?:tongue:

voodoochile
05-14-2005, 04:22 PM
I don't know if I call it confidence, serenity is more like it. I have little fears about this team. Odd to realize that in the past I have always been gripping the edge of the coffee table/desk/seat at the ballpark as I watch the game live or on TV dreading what will come next. The only time I really felt confident was in 1994 and look where that got me.

Now I just feel peaceful about the team. I expect them to be in every game they play. Last night in postgame chat as a few of us did PBP on the Twinkie loss, I asked what the largest deficit of the year as and barring the Shingo/Vizcaino meltdown against Cleveland (in which the game was still tied at 5 in the top of the 11th) the largest deficit the Sox have faced is 3 runs. How can you worry when your team is in every game it plays? I am more stunned at the moment, but it's one of those happy stuns where I walk around grinning for no apparent reason, not like Rabbit in the headlights tharn stunned which is what it has been most of the last several years.

So to answer you question, no, not as confident as I have ever felt - it's way to early to feel that way, but things look great and I definitely am not worried...:cool:

JB98
05-14-2005, 04:54 PM
I think my confidence was at its highest in 1994. I was more confident then than I am now. We were coming off the division championship in '93, so the team had more of a proven track record. Of course, we had the rug pulled out from under us, but that's another thread.

This year, I came in not knowing what to expect, and to some extent, I still don't know what to expect. This is the first time this group of players has been together. It's a totally different team from last year. At this point, I know were good. The question is, are we good enough to win a championship?

Also, I was less cynical in the early '90s than I am now. I was in high school then. Another 10 years of Sox disappointments since then have caused me to be a bit more cautious about getting too excited early in the season.

DannyCaterFan
05-14-2005, 05:25 PM
I've been a Sox fan since I was 6 in 1981, but have only honestly been old enough to understand the ins-and-outs of a season since the late '80s battles with the A's and the like.

I'm curious especially from those who have followed the team longer than I have... how does this start compare in terms of confidence in the team to other seasons (at this point in the season)?

I feel good, but just because we have our best record to this point ever, doesn't necessarily mean anything...

I have been a fan since opening day of 1960, and like the 59' team, those early 60's teams won because of good pitching, solid defense, and timely hitting. The problem in those days was that we had the Yankees to contend with. Never though, did any of those teams open up a season like this one. Later on, the 1983 team started out real slow and really did not get their act together until after the all star break. I had a lot of confidence in the 83 team because they had great pitching and good hitting. I still believe they should have won the series that year.
Later in 93 and 2000, they just lacked defense and pitching. So,how do I feel about this year? Well, if we get a little more hitting, perhaps from Frank Thomas, we could win over 100 games. This team is all together and really believe in each other. This could finally be the year when the "Magic" happens and we go all the way. I hope so, cause I am not getting any younger.:smile:

batmanZoSo
05-14-2005, 05:41 PM
We've never had a start remotely like this since I've been watching. The 2000 season was bliss from the start, but you always knew we were really young and had a pretty mediocre pitching staff. You also had a great Yankee team to contend with. This year, I don't see an AL team that really scares me where I think "oh man, we'd have to just be on fire to beat them in a playoff series." There's no Pedro in his prime, the Big Unit is a shadow of his former self, the Big Three in Oakland is broken up. And unlike 2000, we have a great starting rotation that you can see winning 2-1 games against other tough pitchers. Hell, we've been doing it all season so far.

All I'm saying is this year is a window of opportunity--they come along far too seldom and lord knows this team doesn't have a history of seizing them. Stranger things have happened.

Lip Man 1
05-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Personally I felt more confident then at any other time regarding the Sox around mid August of 1983. The divisional lead was in double figures and it being August time was rapidly running out on the rest of the league.

I'm enjoying the moment right now but remember there is still a very, very long way to go.

Lip

IowaSox1971
05-15-2005, 02:01 AM
There is a very, very long way to go. In 1973, we were 27-15 and everything was going great. Then we got swept in a pair of three-game series by Milwaukee, and everything went downhill from there. We finished 77-85 and in fifth place, 17 games out. And I remember that the 1977 Cubs started out 47-22 and ended up with a .500 record. So, you can't take anything for granted.

That said, this start has been amazing. To have held a lead in 37 consecutive games is unbelievable, especially because we're not really hitting very well yet. I do not think that we're going to continue playing like this. But it is good that even if we play just .500 the rest of the way, we still would end up with about 90 wins.

Dan H
05-15-2005, 08:04 AM
I feel confident that at the very least the Sox will be contending for the division at the end of the year. I don't see how can't with this start. While I don't think they will run away with anything, I don't see them taking a nosedive. I only wish media attendance stories would go away, starting with John Kass.

JB98
05-15-2005, 11:12 AM
I feel confident that at the very least the Sox will be contending for the division at the end of the year. I don't see how can't with this start. While I don't think they will run away with anything, I don't see them taking a nosedive. I only wish media attendance stories would go away, starting with John Kass.

You can forget about that. Especially if we continue to win and the Cubs continue to struggle. Attendance will be the only thing the pro-Cubs people will have to crow about. Rest assured, they'll get out the big guns to try to ridicule the Sox. Just ignore them. Say, "We don't care."

Lip Man 1
05-15-2005, 01:26 PM
Dan:

Here's another one....1996...people forget that around mid June the Sox were 40-21 and breathing down the neck of the Indians.

They finished with 86 wins.

Lip

JB98
05-16-2005, 12:01 AM
Dan:

Here's another one....1996...people forget that around mid June the Sox were 40-21 and breathing down the neck of the Indians.

They finished with 86 wins.

Lip

That was another team that only had four starting pitchers: Fernandez, Alvarez, Tapani and Baldwin. Joe Magrane gave me migraines, and I don't even want to think about the Kirk McCaskill era.

This year, we're seeing the benefits of having five starting pitchers that are actual big-leaguers. Even though I'm not totally sold on this Sox team, the starting pitching is what gives me hope that we can stay in it all the way through September.

sox7235
05-16-2005, 12:20 AM
I'm confident that they will contend. This team has to really regress to not win 90 games, IMO. I do not see this team letting up one bit. The only thing that concerns me is that The Twins will just not go away.

TomParrish79
05-16-2005, 01:18 AM
I love the way the sox are playing right now, but I cant convince myself to get confident about where they will be in a few months.

Anything can happen, and the fact of the matter is the Twins are only gonna get better as the season continues.

But my fingers are crossed nonetheless

SoxBoy14
05-16-2005, 07:56 AM
I'll feel confident when the Sox have a 7 game lead with 6 to play. I am concerned about the offense from the beginning and hope the Sox do something bold about getting a front line closer [Billy Wagner] down the stretch. That said, with McCarthy waiting in the wings, my fear of a starter going down to injury [Contreras or Duque] is tempered. Garland is on a contract hunt and is no fluke. The Sox are in solid shape but I hope KW makes the necessary moves if the offense continues to sputter.

Lip Man 1
05-16-2005, 12:26 PM
JB:

That was the season where Magrane started I think seven times before being dropped. Other 'name' starters that year included Mike Bertotti, a raw Mike Sirotka and Luis Andujar.

That was also the season where the Sox bullpen set the record (since broken) for the most blown save chances in a season. Where have you gone Matt Karchner? Larry Thomas??

When all Ron Schueler did was get Tony Castillo at the trade deadline when clearly the Sox needed so much more to hold on to that Wild Card spot both Roberto Hernandez and Tony Phillips ripped the organization in the pages of The Sporting News.

I'll never forget Peter Gammons saying on Baseball Tonight late that season that if the Sox were to hold on and get in they'd be very dangerous because of the four guys in the starting rotation.

Sigh.....

My personal opinion is that if the Sox make the playoffs in 96 they do not sign Albert Belle in November 1996 and the White Flag Trade never happens.

Lip

Chez
05-16-2005, 03:25 PM
1994. McDowell, Fernandez, Alvarez and Bere in the rotation; Julio Franco hitting vicious line drives all over the ballpark; Frank and Robin in their prime; Roberto Hernandez throwing gas out of the pen.

If not for the strike, the landscape of Chicago baseball would have changed forever as the Sox were on the verge of winning over the city.

I feel good about this season. I think we'll be in the race till the end. But I fear the Twins more this season than I feared the Tribe in 1994.

LVSoxFan
05-16-2005, 03:58 PM
I try and enjoy this as much as I can but do not fool myself into thinking great starts amount to anything.

The one thing we can achieve early on is building an insurmountable lead over Minnesota--so to that end, as long as we're building on that the streak is great. We've lucked our way out of probably like 5 games already.

The good news is that the wobbly offense is early; hopefully it'll hit its stride before late June and keep rolling from there.

But as a Sox fan, I'm always waiting for some disaster to happen, LOL.

Foulke29
05-16-2005, 04:17 PM
All we can really be confident about at this point is that the team could go .500 the rest of the year and end with 90+ wins. It's a good feeling, but it's a funny game. 162 makes for a long season.

I felt good about the 2003 team at the All-Star break - but Shannon Stewart ruined that for us.

NorthlakeTom
05-16-2005, 04:23 PM
As long as we're reminiscing about hot starts and eventual failure.

I remember the strike shortened year of '81. The Sox were the hottest team in baseball out of the gate. That year was divided into two halves, with the winner of each half, within each division, having a playoff. It looked like the Sox were a cinch to at least lock up the first half "title," but they fell to third, IIRC. They finished last in the second half, again IIRC.

PAPChiSox729
05-16-2005, 04:42 PM
All we can really be confident about at this point is that the team could go .500 the rest of the year and end with 90+ wins. It's a good feeling, but it's a funny game. 162 makes for a long season.

I felt good about the 2003 team at the All-Star break - but Shannon Stewart ruined that for us.

2003 was a disappointing year. The collapse was just so ugly. But I'm going to pull a Mark McGuire and try to focus on the future. I am very optimistic at this point but at the same time, I am trying to be as cautious as possible. Having the best record in baseball with an amazing pitching staff can lead you to imagine some very exciting scenarios. But considering that these dreams won't get fulfilled leads me to just focus on getting past the Twins and into the playoffs, and then letting my imagination run wild. Any way you look at it, it will be a very exciting year.

ma-gaga
05-16-2005, 05:50 PM
2001 fell apart one night in the ninth inning in the Baggie Dome when the hero of some completely melted down.

That was an absolute "killer" game. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Same with the Hunter/Burke runover. I just couldn't believe it was real.

That said, the W.Sox need to put a stamp on this season. Once they do that... Once they put the exclamation point in the "take THAT ****er!!!", will the season be complete.

Right now they are just building up to it. :cool:

Lip Man 1
05-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Northlake:

That 1981 August / September collapse prompted Eddie Einhorn to state after that season...'no more September's...'

The Sox took his advice....they collapsed earlier.

Lip

Iguana775
05-16-2005, 11:15 PM
it's a little less than last week. i hope this is just a bump on the way to the Series.

Lip Man 1
05-17-2005, 12:06 AM
Those of you old enough to remember 'Love Story' with Ryan O'Neal and Ali McGraw from 1969 remember the famous line...'love means never having to say your sorry.'

With due respect that is changed to this for the Sox...'Being a Sox fan means never being able to say 'it's a lock...'

Lip

sox7235
05-17-2005, 03:42 AM
2001 fell apart one night in the ninth inning in the Baggie Dome when the hero of some completely melted down. The Twins have owned us ever since. :(:

Can you refresh my memory?

ma-gaga
05-17-2005, 06:58 AM
Can you refresh my memory?

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Headlines/June/Biased0626.htm