PDA

View Full Version : All Star Pitchers

chisoxfanatic
05-14-2005, 01:19 PM
I know it's kinda early right now, but this could turn into fun discussion nonetheless...

I was listening to The Score this morning, and after one of the scoreboard updates, they talked about who should be representing the Sox this year at the All Star Game for a minute or two. Here are my thoughts:

1. Garland. Nobody can argue with his outstanding undefeated (so far) record and incredibly low ERA. His poise on the mound when he allows runners on is a DRASTIC improvement from his previous seasons. If the ASG were to be today, Garland would deserve to start.

2. Buehrle. The only other guy in the AL with 6+ wins, Buehrle has a charisma about him and knows how to get out of jams. He is like a boa constrictor in that he strikes his opposition so quickly, they don't know what hit them, and then they're walking back to the opposing dugout. His ability to go deep into the game directly helps the bullpen's performance, giving them the rest they need for the middle of the rotation, which is made up of guys who cannot eat as many innings.

3. Hermanson. The guy has yet to allow a run this year and hasn't had limited playing time either. He gets the nod over Takatsu, who is tied with him in saves, because his poise on the mound seems much better and more relaxed. Mr. Versatile is the most valuable guy in our bullpen.

I know this is basically about PITCHERS, but I couldn't leave this hitter out:

4. Iguchi. Tadahito has picked up right where he left off in Japan, tearing the cover off the ball all year long, knowing how to get down the timely hits. His speed complements the completeness of his game lining both his defensive abilities, as well as running plays out on the offensive side. Iggy has done everything Ozzie could possibly have asked him to do so far and deserves to be an All Star. Who knows...We may get the help from voters in Japan much like Ichiro has.

Honorable Mention: El Duque, Freddy Garcia, and Damaso Marte.

Your thoughts?

downstairs
05-14-2005, 01:25 PM
I think you're right on except Iguchi. I don't think he's enough of a "star" yet to overcome the massive hurdles *any* non-east-coast/non-west-coast player has to overcome to get props.

SpammySosa
05-14-2005, 01:31 PM
This is slightly off-topic,but one of the things I really hate about the AS Game is how every team has to have at least one representive.When they added that rule,it really took away the honor and prestige of being an AS.The voting process leaves a lot to be desired too.More times than not,you are not seeing all of the players who truly deserve to be recognized.Having said all of this,I don't think the Sox will be represented as fairly as they deserve to be.

MeanFish
05-14-2005, 01:54 PM
This is slightly off-topic,but one of the things I really hate about the AS Game is how every team has to have at least one representive.When they added that rule,it really took away the honor and prestige of being an AS.The voting process leaves a lot to be desired too.More times than not,you are not seeing all of the players who truly deserve to be recognized.Having said all of this,I don't think the Sox will be represented as fairly as they deserve to be.

It also makes token representatives like Maggs often was think they were worth more than they really are.

Patrick134
05-14-2005, 01:57 PM
It also makes token representatives like Maggs often was think they were worth more than they really are.

I know it's become cool to bash Mags lately (and he's certainly brought a lot of it on himself), but he absolutely was an all star caliber player for the majority of his time with the Sox.

Jjav829
05-14-2005, 02:06 PM
4. Iguchi. Tadahito has picked up right where he left off in Japan, tearing the cover off the ball all year long, knowing how to get down the timely hits. His speed complements the completeness of his game lining both his defensive abilities, as well as running plays out on the offensive side. Iggy has done everything Ozzie could possibly have asked him to do so far and deserves to be an All Star. Who knows...We may get the help from voters in Japan much like Ichiro has.

I think he's going to be left out. Soriano is likely going to be voted in. Brian Roberts is a lock to be taken. Unless Tito decides he want three 2B, it seems like Iguchi will be sitting this one out.

Right now, the other three you mentioned would be in. I'd be surprised if we have any position players in the All-Star game.

MUsoxfan
05-14-2005, 02:09 PM
I don't want to jinx anything, but at this pace there's no way that the Sox have less than 2 pitchers in the ASG and one of them starting