PDA

View Full Version : Mistake on official 5/13 boxscore?

TheOldRoman
05-14-2005, 01:55 AM
I only got to see a few min here and there of the game last night, 5/13. However, when looking over the boxscore on whitesox.com and MLB gameday, it says Podsednik stole a base (18), was caught stealing(5), and was picked off(1). When I looked through the play-by-play section of gameday, I found that of Pods three hits, he was erased on a double play once, and scored twice. Is the MLB box score messed up? Is gameday wrong? If Scott was caught stealing again today, that kins of worries me.

halfpricemonday
05-14-2005, 02:15 AM
As I remember it from the radio call, he would have been out on the caught stealing, but during the rundown, there was an error on Lopez when he dropped the ball when he covered first. Pods safe at first.

kevingrt
05-14-2005, 09:48 AM
As I remember it from the radio call, he would have been out on the caught stealing, but during the rundown, there was an error on Lopez when he dropped the ball when he covered first. Pods safe at first.

That's what happened I believe... not many times you see an "official" boxscore wrong though, lol

TheOldRoman
05-14-2005, 10:32 AM
So, did they give him both a caught steeling and a pick off for that?

NDSox12
05-14-2005, 11:23 AM
So, did they give him both a caught steeling and a pick off for that?

I have always been curious about the difference between a caught stealing and a pickoff in these situations. Interestingly, ESPN.com's box score does not show a pickoff. MLB.com's box score is probably correct though because it seems the pitcher should definitely be credited with a pickoff.

I'm guessing a little bit here, but I think the base runner is only charged with a caught stealing if he makes an attempt to go towards the next base after being picked off. Brian Roberts was picked off by Buehrle, but made no attempt to go to second, so he was not charged with a caught stealing. Podsednik, on the other hand, did make a move towards second and got caught in a run down. He would have been out except for the error by the pitcher in dropping the ball during the run down, thus he is charged with a caught stealing.

owensmouth
05-14-2005, 11:32 AM
I was following on Gameday while watching the game. That play threw a real monkey wrench into Gameday. The system works fine when the plays are normal. That particular play took Gameday about two innings to get more or less straightened out.

NDSox12
05-14-2005, 11:35 AM
I was following on Gameday while watching the game. That play threw a real monkey wrench into Gameday. The system works fine when the plays are normal. That particular play took Gameday about two innings to get more or less straightened out.

That is definitely my biggest complaint with GameDay. Unusual plays not only take a while to display, but also throw the thing off for a ridiculous amount of time. FWIW, the same thing happens to all the other online game updates (ESPN, Yahoo, SI, etc..). GameDay is the best of the group, but it would be nice to see less of these problems. It seems to happen almost once a game.

owensmouth
05-14-2005, 11:45 AM
That is definitely my biggest complaint with GameDay. Unusual plays not only take a while to display, but also throw the thing off for a ridiculous amount of time. FWIW, the same thing happens to all the other online game updates (ESPN, Yahoo, SI, etc..). GameDay is the best of the group, but it would be nice to see less of these problems. It seems to happen almost once a game.It is getting better. A couple of years ago if Gameday got the count wrong it would take five minutes to get it corrected. But there will always be abnormalities.