PDA

View Full Version : Question about Hermanson

gobears1987
05-13-2005, 11:48 PM
I heard from someone that Dustin Hermanson is Jewish. Is this true? I'm a Jew and it would be real cool if Hermanson is among us. Especially with him kicking some serious ass this year.

MRKARNO
05-14-2005, 12:02 AM
I heard from someone that Dustin Hermanson is Jewish. Is this true? I'm a Jew and it would be real cool if Hermanson is among us. Especially with him kicking some serious ass this year.

No, it's not true. Here's the complete list of Jews in baseball if you're interested (click on sports at the top to get to the lists):

http://www.jewsinsports.org/

MisterB
05-14-2005, 05:01 AM
No, it's not true. Here's the complete list of Jews in baseball if you're interested (click on sports at the top to get to the lists):

http://www.jewsinsports.org/

Wow. Quite a few former Sox players on that list:

Ross Baumgarten
Ron Blomberg
Joe Horlen
Al Levine
Andrew Lorraine
Scott Radinsky
Steve Rosenberg
Scott Schoeneweis
Steve Stone
Steve Wapnick

Gym Shoe
05-14-2005, 10:53 AM
serious question --- what makes one a jew?

Shawn Green is probably the greatest jew in baseball (and actually observes the religion from as much as I can tell)

go sox

elrod
05-14-2005, 11:11 AM

Shawn Green is probably the greatest jew in baseball (and actually observes the religion from as much as I can tell)

go sox

Well, there is no easy answer. Judaism is an ethnicity and a culture as well as a religion. In many ways it's tribal, with genetic descendants going back to ancient Israel. I'm Jewish but not religious. I look at the religious celebrations and ceremonies of Judaism as myths, practices and customs of my ancestors, and treat them with that kind of reverence.

Ol' No. 2
05-14-2005, 11:47 AM

go soxEver heard of Hank Greenberg? Sandy Koufax?

MRKARNO
05-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Ever heard of Hank Greenberg? Sandy Koufax?

That might be in reference to active players, though it's quickly becoming Jason Marquis...

MeanFish
05-14-2005, 12:00 PM
That might be in reference to active players, though it's quickly becoming Jason Marquis...

In a sidenote, perhaps that Lincoln/Mercury dealer should have had HIM do the commercial. After all, he's a way better pitcher than Kerry Wood and has the almost the same name as one of their cars to boot!

owensmouth
05-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Ever heard of Hank Greenberg? Sandy Koufax?I agree with you, but I believe he was thinking of active ballplayers.

hose
05-14-2005, 12:06 PM
This was the original league back in the day.:cool:

12 Tribes of Isreal

Judah

Benjamin

Levi

Ephraim

Manasseh

Simeon

Zebulun

Gad

Rueben

Napthali

Asher

Issachar

Mickster
05-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Why

did

you

list

them

this?

hose
05-14-2005, 12:24 PM
because

it

was

how

I

copied

pasted

and

cut.

Stroker Ace
05-14-2005, 12:54 PM
IIRC, ESPN had a list of current Jewish MLB players a year or two ago.

34 Inch Stick
05-14-2005, 01:44 PM
Remember the joke in the movie Airplane where the passenger asks for some light reading and the stewardess gives him a small pamphelet of the greatest Jewish sports heros?

White Sox Josh
05-14-2005, 02:37 PM
I remember an interview with him last year when he said he was half jewish. He is also 25% Native American I believe.

MisterB
05-14-2005, 02:48 PM
In a sidenote, perhaps that Lincoln/Mercury dealer should have had HIM do the commercial. After all, he's a way better pitcher than Kerry Wood and has the almost the same name as one of their cars to boot!

:hijacked:

Actually Marquis Grissom would be the ultimate since he's actually named after the car. His dad worked at the Ford plant in Atlanta and that was the model on the assembly line at the time he was born. (Good thing it wasn't the Comet or Montclair :D:)

FarWestChicago
05-14-2005, 03:52 PM

Actually Marquis Grissom would be the ultimate since he's actually named after the car. His dad worked at the Ford plant in Atlanta and that was the model on the assembly line at the time he was born. (Good thing it wasn't the Comet or Montclair :D:)Yeah, but that's a good hijack. :thumbsup:

Ol' No. 2
05-14-2005, 03:55 PM

Actually Marquis Grissom would be the ultimate since he's actually named after the car. His dad worked at the Ford plant in Atlanta and that was the model on the assembly line at the time he was born. (Good thing it wasn't the Comet or Montclair :D:):crede What's wrong with being called "Comet"?

I want Mags back
05-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Being a jew, I think that would be cool. But concidering he wheres a huge cross during many interview, Im assuming he isnt