PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie--Sox Success 100% Luck....lol

UofCSoxFan
05-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Reporter asks Ozzie, "How much of this success is luck?"

Ozzie, "100 percent. You hit the ball and it falls...that's luck. You stay healthy...it's luck. I rather be lucky than good."

Followed up by a response a few questions later, "I don't care what people think about this team. We have 25 guys that believe in each other."

Damn Straight.

27-9.

Palpidious
05-13-2005, 10:49 PM
that had to be someone from the trib

chisoxmike
05-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Reporter asks Ozzie, "How much of this success is luck?"

Ozzie, "100 percent. You hit the ball and it falls...that's luck. You stay healthy...it's luck. I rather be lucky than good."

Followed up by a response a few questions later, "I don't care what people think about this team. We have 25 guys that believe in each other."

Damn Straight.

27-9.

I think the reporter who asked that sounded like Bruce LeVINELINE.

BearSox
05-13-2005, 10:50 PM
I think it was Levineline, its hard to not recognize that voice

PaleHoseGeorge
05-13-2005, 10:53 PM
They played it just now.

It was LevineLine.

That ****er needs to get fired. What a classless, stupid ****ing dope...

Palpidious
05-13-2005, 10:53 PM
hearing the press conference on the radio it was LEVINELINE.

WHAT A JAGBAG!!!!!!

can't wait for the sox to move down the dial and away from such an "expert"

NonetheLoaiza
05-13-2005, 10:57 PM
it's ok though, he knows about trades before they happen...

mccoydp
05-13-2005, 11:03 PM
Another idiot (see my Comcast thread for the original crew).

There was no luck tonight, just good baseball players supporting a strong, durable, confident pitcher.

halfpricemonday
05-13-2005, 11:06 PM
I think I just heard Levine ask about Buehrle's hair color.

What's next, what kind of tree would Iguchi be?

Lip Man 1
05-13-2005, 11:29 PM
PHG:

Time for another one of your 'choice' short columns!

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
05-13-2005, 11:32 PM
I think I just heard Levine ask about Buehrle's hair color.

What's next, what kind of tree would Iguchi be?

http://images.radcity.net/5176/584831.jpg
"Ozzie, if I were a bumblebee and you were a flower, how would you attract me?"

ChiWhiteSox1337
05-14-2005, 12:32 AM
I noticed this too. Definitely an asinine question by LeVine. That even rhymed!:smile:

Nellie_Fox
05-14-2005, 12:40 AM
I loved the Ozzie article in Sports Illlustrated (arrived today.) They really just painted him as a no-holds-barred gamer who says what he thinks.

They included his email address, which he apparently puts out so fans can write to him. I would imagine he'll get so heavily spammed now that he'll have to abandon that address.

NorthlakeTom
05-14-2005, 12:58 AM
The Cubune didn't waste any time with this "story."

Headline: Sox's luck conquers all
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050513soxgamer,1,724658.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

On the main page, the link says, Sox surge late, beat O's (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050513soxgamer,1,724658.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines), so I thought the story was a game recap, but it just goes on about luck this, luck that. To hell with 'em.

ilsox7
05-14-2005, 01:02 AM

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050513soxgamer,1,724658.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

On the main page, the link says, Sox surge late, beat O's (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050513soxgamer,1,724658.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines), so I thought the story was a game recap, but it just goes on about luck this, luck that. To hell with 'em.

All together now: "We don't care!"

DMarte708
05-14-2005, 01:20 AM

I would like to know how many of our games haven't been attributed to "luck?"

It doesn't need to be in print following every win to know Cub fans and national "experts" alike continue to believe we're lucky.

What I don't appreciate about these columns is journalists such as Levine would rather ask questions concerning luck than hand praise to our club. Even PTI and ATH continue their debates on our surprising start. It's as if no one besides Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs are allowed to start with a good record without "smoke and mirrors" comments.

DaleJRFan
05-14-2005, 01:44 AM
What cracks me up are BoSox fans who talked abou "the stars aligning" and all the crap Schilling spewed after they won it last season. In '03, all of my co-worker Flub fans talking about the Gods of baseball and destiny... *****.

There's a saying in racing, that Ozzie used today. Its better to be lucky than good. If you are running 3rd with 5 laps to go and both of the two cars ahead run out of gas, you win. They were better, you were lucky, you get the W.

I'll take all the luck we need to win triple digit games. Booyah! :tongue:

Optipessimism
05-14-2005, 03:38 AM
I would assume Paulie's 2-run single was 'lucky.' But if that's true, than wouldn't the opposing pitcher have to be 'unlucky' to throw that particular pitch in that particular location? The answer would be no, because he threw a pitch that ended up scoring two runs. That, my friends, is baseball. The batter did his job and the pitcher didn't do his. The same thing applies to the O's errors. Did they make them because they were 'unlucky'? No, they made them because they played poorly. The Sox outhit, outpitched, and out-defended the Orioles and there is nothing 'lucky' about that. That is baseball and that is why it is such a great sport.

By the way, how many times are the Pistons referred to as lucky for shutting down teams and forcing turnovers? None! Because thankfully some people understand that there is no luck in sports.

shoota
05-14-2005, 03:52 AM
http://images.radcity.net/5176/584831.jpg
"Ozzie, if I were a bumblebee and you were a flower, how would you attract me?"

That quote with that Levine Glamour Shots picture go well together. I audibly laughed at your quote because the picture complimented it so well. Without the pic I don't think I'd audibly laugh.

Who turns his head for a photo? Whenever a photographer tells me to do that I tell him no. I tell him the head tilt is fruity and I'm not doing it. It's hard to look masculine with a tilted head and a softly clenched fist under my chin.

And change the background because I'm not getting my class photo taken with a Cubbie blue background.

shoota
05-14-2005, 03:57 AM
I think it was Levineline, its hard to not recognize that voice

Really? Did he ask the question via speakerphone from the Washington D.C. Red Roof Inn?

Chances of LevineLine knowing what the **** he's talking about: remote.

IowaSox1971
05-14-2005, 04:00 AM
Konerko has hit in some tough luck this season. During his slump, he was robbed of some hits by guys who just made great plays. This time, he catches a break, and the media basically attribute this victory to luck. The Tribune is struggling to come up with ways to distract the readers from the 27-9 start. They've already tried writing about the attendance, camera angles on telecasts and now luck. What's next?

fquaye149
05-14-2005, 05:44 AM
I love how the tribune's recap of the game treated Ozzie's comment as if it were serious, taking it COMPLETELY out of context.

That is Limbaughesque.

Flight #24
05-14-2005, 08:55 AM

Seriously, is there ANYONE who didn't see that coming the instant that question was answered last night?

It's only fair, I mean all the local articles on the 2004 Sox have focused on the SKILL that it took to have your 2 best players go down with injury, but when you pitch well and get timely hitting - it's luck.

Realist
05-14-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm already so sick of this Bruce character that in my mind he ranks right up there with our Roadhouse poster boy. Hopefully Levine's emissions will soon be automatically be banished there right beside the windsock.

The definition of luck is when opportunity meets preparation.

I only played a couple of years of Little League but I played tons of hours of organized ice hockey. Quite often you'd hear, "The puck isn't bouncing right for us today" on the bench during a hockey game. What that is is a signal to the coach and the players that they weren't working hard enough. That's all that that means. Once the team started to skate harder and more determined and started to desire and work harder for the puck... wow... whatayaknow... the puck would start "bouncing our way".

The reason the Sox are so damn "lucky" is because they are well prepared for their matches, are well focused on their goals and they get plenty of opportunities because the rules state that the opposing team has to throw ball in the general area for the Sox batters to get a fair shot at taking a swing at it.

Levine is a hack and not lovable loser.

Jaffar
05-14-2005, 10:05 AM
The Sox's third straight victory gave them a 29-7 start, baseball's best opening record since the 1984 Tigers went 35-5 on their way to a World Series championship. The Sox had been tied with three other recent teams at 26-9, and none of those teams finished with fewer than 93 victories

Good research there Dyck, dumbass.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-14-2005, 10:13 AM
Here's the source of our luck:
Not having Grilli, Schoenweis or Wright in the starting rotation.

We were virtually sacrificing 2 out of every 5 games. This year the Sox are competitive in every game. That's a huge difference, 100 percent courtesy the 5 guys on the bump.

:iron
"I'm tired of skill! I'll take luck!"

Realist
05-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Here's the source of our luck:
Not having Grilli, Schoenweis or Wright in the starting line up.

We were virtually sacrificing 2 out of every 5 games. This year the Sox are competitive in every game. That's a huge difference, 100 percent courtesy the 5 guys on the bump.

Now THAT'S what I call preparation! Thanks, Kenny! :yoohoo:

TommyJohn
05-14-2005, 10:47 AM
"Luck is the residue of design." -Branch Rickey

samram
05-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Really? Did he ask the question via speakerphone from the Washington D.C. Red Roof Inn?

Chances of LevineLine knowing what the **** he's talking about: remote.

LOL. Post of the week right there.

doublem23
05-14-2005, 12:43 PM

Meanwhile,

Cubs artfully craft 3-run win over Washington in manner that would make Michelangelo fall to his knees in utter awe.

:rolleyes:

NorthlakeTom
05-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Meanwhile,

Cubs artfully craft 3-run win over Washington in manner that would make Michelangelo fall to his knees in utter awe.

:rolleyes:

Actually, the headline is: Just like old times for Cubs, Ramirez

I laughed my ass off at that one.

Let's see...

The Cardinals are pulling away from the division. The Cubs are two games under .500, and they're closer to last place Houston than the Cardinals.

Yep. Just like old times!

dcb33
05-14-2005, 01:43 PM
So if Konerko's hit and Tadahito reaching on Palmiero's error was "luck", wouldn't the two times the O's picked off Pods and the two outs we mindlessly gave Baltimore while trying to score (Rowand running on contact with that ball hit directly to Mora and Dye trying to score on Carl's grounder) be considered unlucky?

So really, last night's "lucky" breaks are more than offset by the bounces that didn't go our way. There is no such thing as "luck" becuase breaks like these tend to even out for both teams over time. It's too bad the asshats at the Tribune are too busy messing themselves over goat curses, broken down pitchers, and how they pack their park with mindless lemmings to realize any of this or that Ozzie was joking...