PDA

View Full Version : Comcast idiots

mccoydp
05-13-2005, 10:46 PM
At least you guys in Chicago get to watch White Sox announcers. Because I'm out of state, and the game wasn't on WGN or MLB-TV (black-out), I had to watch Comcast SportsNet here in Virginia. It's bad enough that the channel is the Oriole's home station, but the announcers are total homers and complete idiots. They continue to call US Cellular by its old name (New Comiskey), butcher Shingo's last name, and flash the final box graphic at the end, showing a 3-3 tie, with Garland as the winner.
The moral? Hawk and DJ ain't so bad, folks.

Did anyone else have the displeasure of having to watch their telecast?

Great win tonight, BTW!:smile:

NDSox12
05-13-2005, 10:49 PM
At least you guys in Chicago get to watch White Sox announcers. Because I'm out of state, and the game wasn't on WGN or MLB-TV (black-out), I had to watch Comcast SportsNet here in Virginia. It's bad enough that the channel is the Oriole's home station, but the announcers are total homers and complete idiots. They continue to call US Cellular by its old name (New Comiskey), butcher Shingo's last name, and flash the final box graphic at the end, showing a 3-3 tie, with Garland as the winner.

I'm right there with you... watched this one on Baltimore/Washington Comcast as well. Jim Palmer seemed to think we had scored first in every game this year and that they had ended the streak. Little did he know that the actual record was for consecutive games with a lead at any point in the game.

I've seen worse announcers than these guys though... still... wish I could hear Hawk and DJ for every game!

soxjim
05-13-2005, 10:50 PM

I understand what you mean. i live in area in rockford il that doesn't get com cast. i go across the street to a friends house. when i was in va beach last year whent up to camden yard to see the sox

boiler up
05-13-2005, 10:53 PM
if you have it blacked out on mlb.tv, i'll tell you the secret to getting all of the games

hit me up on aim, my sn is thefalloftom

NDSox12
05-13-2005, 10:54 PM
if you have it blacked out on mlb.tv, i'll tell you the secret to getting all of the games

hit me up on aim, my sn is thefalloftom

I watch the games on MLB Extra Innings (digital cable), not MLB.TV. This particular game was on the local Comcast SportsNet though.

mccoydp
05-13-2005, 11:00 PM
I'm right there with you... watched this one on Baltimore/Washington Comcast as well. Jim Palmer seemed to think we had scored first in every game this year and that they had ended the streak. Little did he know that the actual record was for consecutive games with a lead at any point in the game.

I've seen worse announcers than these guys though... still... wish I could hear Hawk and DJ for every game!

I noticed that one too, but I forgot to put that one in there. Thanks for the reminder!

Again --- idiots!

chisoxmike
05-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Comcast Sports Net tonight also called today's Cubs game against the Nationals "historic." Please.

mccoydp
05-13-2005, 11:12 PM
Comcast Sports Net tonight also called today's Cubs game against the Nationals "historic." Please.

*****...they've been :gulp:too much of that Old Style beer!

TheBull19
05-13-2005, 11:16 PM
They continue to call US Cellular by its old name (New Comiskey)

I still call it Comiskey.

chidonez
05-13-2005, 11:19 PM
*****...they've been :gulp:too much of that Old Style beer!

Too much Old Style?

mccoydp
05-13-2005, 11:21 PM

I do too; not used to US Cellular yet. But this is the second time the Baltimore announcers have called it that this week!
I'm partial to New Comiskey, but it was renamed a few years ago, and they should know better.

mccoydp
05-13-2005, 11:22 PM
Too much Old Style?

Harry Caray's favo-rite!
:gulp:

PaleHoseGeorge
05-13-2005, 11:25 PM
Harry Caray's favo-rite!

Actually Caray shilled for Falstaff and Stroh's when he was with the Sox. The "Bud man" shtick came later, and I don't think he ever shilled for Dog Style, aka "Lovable Loser beer."

Daver
05-13-2005, 11:32 PM
Actually Caray shilled for Falstaff and Stroh's when he was with the Sox. The "Bud man" shtick came later, and I don't think he ever shilled for Dog Style, aka "Lovable Loser beer."

I'm gonna e-mail Brooks about getting Buckhorn installed as the official beer of Comiskey Park.

:)

wassagstdu
05-13-2005, 11:39 PM
Jim Palmer seemed to think we had scored first in every game this year and that they had ended the streak.

Worse than that, Palmer said it was the first time this season the Sox had relinquished the lead! I guess he thinks the losses were all forfeits? Still the BALTIMORE Orioles' (I call them the "Zeros") announcers aren't as bad as Atlanta's.

flo-B-flo
05-13-2005, 11:41 PM
I still call it Comiskey. Sox Park.

mccoydp
05-13-2005, 11:48 PM
Worse than that, Palmer said it was the first time this season the Sox had relinquished the lead! I guess he thinks the losses were all forfeits? Still the BALTIMORE Orioles' (I call them the "Zeros") announcers aren't as bad as Atlanta's.

Can't argue with the Atlanta comment...they're pretty dry.:redneck

Hokiesox
05-14-2005, 02:33 AM

I watched them tonight when they said Buehrle was a great #2 pitcher for the Sox and could be an ace anywhere else in MLB.

sigh...no wonder buck martinez left them.

Nellie_Fox
05-14-2005, 02:40 AM
I still call it Comiskey.Me too. I refuse to get caught up in this naming rights crap where various high-tech companies go out of business or get bought up and the name changes every few years (see San Francisco and whatever the current name for their ballpark is.)

chisoxfanatic
05-14-2005, 02:45 AM
The funny thing is that there are Oriole fans complaining on their official site's boards that they had to watch Thursday's game on WGN, highlighting how "unprofessional" Hawk and DJ are to be such "homers."

Non-national broadcasters do not need to adhere to national broadcasting ethics. We Sox fans LOVE Hawk and DJ BECAUSE they are biased, speak from the heart, and represent us all to a T.

The Critic
05-14-2005, 09:04 AM
I call it US Cellular Field because without US Cellular's money the park would still have that blue toilet seat of a roof, and wouldn't look half as good as it does now. I figure the least I can do is get over my Comiskey Park nostalgia.

StrTrkker
05-14-2005, 10:25 AM
I call it US Cellular Field because without US Cellular's money the park would still have that blue toilet seat of a roof, and wouldn't look half as good as it does now. I figure the least I can do is get over my Comiskey Park nostalgia.

I call it The Cell.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Me too. I refuse to get caught up in this naming rights crap where various high-tech companies go out of business or get bought up and the name changes every few years (see San Francisco and whatever the current name for their ballpark is.)

I call it Sox Park for the exact same reason. In fact Comiskey Park was originally called White Sox Park, so I even have historical precedent on my side.
:cool:

:veeck
"Anything you do to draw fans is a promotion. It didn't cost me one thin dime to change the ballpark's name back to White Sox Park in 1960 and then change it back again to Comiskey Park in 1976. Am I a freaking marketing genius or what?"

downstairs
05-14-2005, 10:55 AM

Same here, but I am sure we both do it on *purpose* and we both actually do know the real name of the stadium.

If you're an announcer or journalist, you just look uninformed.

NDSox12
05-14-2005, 12:07 PM
I watched them tonight when they said Buehrle was a great #2 pitcher for the Sox and could be an ace anywhere else in MLB.

sigh...no wonder buck martinez left them.

Buck Martinez didn't leave them. He still does games from time to time. I can't figure out the Orioles broadcaster rotation. It is nearly as hard to figure out as the Braves and Yankees who each shuffle in and out about ten different people.

I want Mags back
05-14-2005, 05:16 PM

He had been the Budman with the Cards.

ilsox7
05-14-2005, 05:47 PM
I call it Sox Park, too. It was stange: yesterday when I got a cab to the game, I asked him to take me to Sox Park. He didn't quite understand that. So then I said US Cellular, still no response. Finally, I was like, how about Comiskey? That he knew.

rwcescato
05-14-2005, 06:19 PM
I'm gonna e-mail Brooks about getting Buckhorn installed as the official beer of Comiskey Park.

:)

Now thats funny!!!:)

wassagstdu
05-14-2005, 07:11 PM

I thought "New Comiskey" was fabulous, and the upper deck was no worse than Camden Yards' or Citizens' Bank Park. I sat at the top of the upper deck in the last section in left field, looking over the top of the foul pole in my first game at New Comiskey and loved it! Alas, I saw the "New Cell" on TV last night and I was not impressed. It looks too institutional, and the green seats are ugly, at least at night. I will reserve final judgement until my next visit (June 18), but I did not particularly like what I saw on TV. Looks like the park is not aging gracefully.

Chisox003
05-14-2005, 07:32 PM
I call it Sox Park for the exact same reason. In fact Comiskey Park was originally called White Sox Park, so I even have historical precedent on my side.
:cool:

Ive always absolutely hated when people call it Sox Park...It sounds so generic, something my grandma would say....

I usually never call it US Cellular field, i just call it the Cell, and try to stay away from calling it "Comiskey"...That isnt the name of the park...

Plus, Comiskey had a bright blue roof, a bright blue hitters backdrop, no fan deck, no fundamentals, bright blue seats, bright blue outfield walls....New Comiskey was a dump, lets face it...

US Cellular, no matter what we think about it, has turned our park into one of the nicest, fan friendly, best atmospheres in baseball

Nellie_Fox
05-15-2005, 02:21 AM
I usually never call it US Cellular field, i just call it the Cell, and try to stay away from calling it "Comiskey"...That isnt the name of the park...A "cell" is in a prison.