PDA

View Full Version : "Wriglifying" The Cell?

SoxFan76
05-13-2005, 05:30 PM
MJH (actually, just Mac and Harry) have been discussing this all afternoon. Apparently Harry thinks the Sox are trying to emulate Wrigley field because the fan deck has some shrubs on it? Hmm, this NEVER even crossed my mind. Apparently the Sox really want to be like the Cubs.

doublem23
05-13-2005, 05:34 PM
They're still complaining about the ivy? And where does Wrigely have a "fan deck?"

Sounds like they've got nothing else to rag about the Sox today.

voodoochile
05-13-2005, 05:38 PM
I guess Murphy's is the Fundamental's deck.

Next thing you know the Sox will be installing troughs in the men's rooms...:?:

Daver
05-13-2005, 05:39 PM

They can't.

It's a code violation.

John Barrett
05-13-2005, 05:46 PM
Harry must be crazed from no sleep(w/the new boy & all) or they had nothing else to talk about....

boat
05-13-2005, 05:51 PM
"Wrigleyfying" the Cell? Ha! That's rich.

I'd have to say it's Wrigley that's undergoing a "Comiskey-fication". Just look at the renovation plans for '06 -

1) restaurant in the outfield

2) a wide concourse behind the newly expanded bleachers

3) a new gift shop/HOF/office building

Not to mention what they've already done - LED ribbon boards, rotating ads behind home plate, etc.

Now, there is ONE thing that they can NEVER do - make parking as easy as it is at The Cell! :D:

kojak
05-13-2005, 05:52 PM
I guess Murphy's is the Fundamental's deck.

I think you are thinking of the new Trough N' Brew Chili Hut on the concession deck. Should be a very popular place! :cool:

voodoochile
05-13-2005, 05:54 PM
They can't.

It's a code violation.

I knew that you were going to say that. Maybe we've run out of things to talk about...:tongue:

cheeses_h_rice
05-13-2005, 06:06 PM
They can't.

It's a code violation.

Too bad. I actually prefer the trough system, if well implemented.

:duck:

DrCrawdad
05-13-2005, 06:17 PM
I sent them the following email...

Harry keeps saying, as Les Grobstein has said as well, that the Sox are copying the Cubbies by growing, "Vines on the walls..."

For the record, The Cell does NOT have vines growing on the walls. The greenery is on the batters eye, NOT the walls.

Now, when the Cubbies put on their road uniforms does Harry and other Cubbie fans feel the need acknowledge that the Cubbies "copied" the Sox by putting names on their uniforms?

Ol' No. 2
05-13-2005, 10:59 PM
Harry's right. Next thing you know they'll be installing nets under the concrete.:rolleyes:

nick cardinal
05-13-2005, 11:15 PM
MJH (actually, just Mac and Harry) have been discussing this all afternoon. Apparently Harry thinks the Sox are trying to emulate Wrigley field because the fan deck has some shrubs on it? Hmm, this NEVER even crossed my mind. Apparently the Sox really want to be like the Cubs.The only thing good about the north side is the buses running south!!

Viva Medias B's
05-13-2005, 11:15 PM
Wall ivy isn't exclusive to the Cubs. Didn't Forbes Field have it first?

DrCrawdad
05-13-2005, 11:18 PM

No! The Cubbies invented ivy. The Cubbies were also the first team to use grass in the field of play.

SoxFan76
05-14-2005, 12:06 AM

That's what Mac said. Gee whiz, back up your argument with facts. What a concept.

TornLabrum
05-14-2005, 12:25 AM
For the record, I listened to most of the show on my way to The Cell from work today, and the origin of the discussion on MJ&H wasn't Harry. It was Jurko mouthing off to Mac last night at The Cell. Harry just took up the argument talking about how Bill Veeck (who the great Cubs fan Teinowitz had no clue as to what his exact association was with the Cubs...thought his dad might have owned the club) planted the Ivy...and besides, that Ivy you see at Forbes Field in the film of Maz's HR was taken long after it was planted at Wrigley. (How's that for an argument?)

Hokiesox
05-14-2005, 01:32 AM

I dunno about forbes, but ivy covers the batters eye at Camden Yards.

chisoxfanatic
05-14-2005, 01:49 AM
No! The Cubbies invented ivy. The Cubbies were also the first team to use grass in the field of play.

The Cubs invented EVERYTHING, including the 7th Inning Stretch...

TornLabrum
05-14-2005, 07:19 AM
It is widely known among Cubs fans that Harry Caray wrote "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" for the Cubs in 1982.

Hmmm...Maybe that shouldn't be in teal since I've actually been told that by Cubs fans.

Wsoxmike59
05-14-2005, 07:50 AM
They can't.

It's a code violation.

Is there a code violation for whizzing in the sinks like they do at Wrigley?? :o:

dickallen15
05-14-2005, 08:15 AM

I prefer to call it weeds.

miker
05-14-2005, 08:22 AM
:whiner: Awwwwww, the poor Scrubbie fans are crying that U.S. Cellular is copying them. As if they kind couldn't sink any lower.

You know what Scrub fans? You can have your weed-covered walls, urine-smelling stands and 38,000 drunken frat boys, Iowa tourists and the endless parade of Chicago sports media butt-kissers paying oral homage to their lovable losers.

I'll take a winning hard-nosed baseball team, a fine ballpark and the company of dedicated fans who actually know the game.

When was the last time a Northsider won...or died trying? To heck with all of them.

Go Sox!:gulp:

HURT35
05-14-2005, 08:43 AM
the Sox are going to copy Wrigley by having a plane fly over and drop a giant bucket of piss all over the ballpark

MeanFish
05-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Those sound like the words of someone who is a more than a little bit afraid of the very possible reality of a fan shift in this city.

Goose
05-14-2005, 09:16 AM
The Cubs invented EVERYTHING, including the 7th Inning Stretch...

Except WINNING!

Clembasbal
05-14-2005, 09:57 AM
I dunno about forbes, but ivy covers the batters eye at Camden Yards.

Now that is a place that is "Wrigleyfying." They got the ivy there and they bricked the backstop like the Chubbies.

The Cell...naw. If I were going to cover that batter's eye I would put grass like The Ballpark in Arlinghton and Busch Stadium, but it is impossible because it goes straight up. So they had to do something.

I am sure that the Cubs were the first to put in a batter's eye too! I mean those shrubs in Left center was their idea first. I remember when it just used to be empty seats...oh man...uuuuuuugly!

FedEx227
05-14-2005, 10:04 AM
the Sox are going to copy Wrigley by having a plane fly over and drop a giant bucket of piss all over the ballpark

yes my first call!

:tealpolice:

voodoochile
05-14-2005, 10:18 AM
It is widely known among Cubs fans that Harry Caray wrote "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" for the Cubs in 1982.

Hmmm...Maybe that shouldn't be in teal since I've actually been told that by Cubs fans.

I remember they used to have Hawk lead the 7th inning stretch. I don't remember when it ended but he used to do the whole Harry Carry shtick lean out and wave the microphone like a conductor.

TornLabrum
05-14-2005, 11:18 AM

What the hell color is that??????

TommyJohn
05-14-2005, 01:40 PM
What the hell color is that??????

Turquoise? Sapphire? Cubbie Blue?

Dub25
05-14-2005, 02:37 PM

I'd have to say it's Wrigley that's undergoing a "Comiskey-fication". Just look at the renovation plans for '06 -

1) restaurant in the outfield

2) a wide concourse behind the newly expanded bleachers

3) a new gift shop/HOF/office building

Not to mention what they've already done - LED ribbon boards, rotating ads behind home plate, etc.

Now, there is ONE thing that they can NEVER do - make parking as easy as it is at The Cell! :D:

You left out that they are working on having better food.

skobabe8
05-16-2005, 12:22 PM
That argument is so freaking stupid and Mac was all over Harry for it. It was pretty funny when he was saying that the cubs invented foliage and have trade marked it. :D:

Pulaski
05-16-2005, 12:32 PM
MJH (actually, just Mac and Harry) have been discussing this all afternoon. Apparently Harry thinks the Sox are trying to emulate Wrigley field because the fan deck has some shrubs on it? Hmm, this NEVER even crossed my mind. Apparently the Sox really want to be like the Cubs.

Maybe they mean the IVY on the fan deck and not the shrubs.

Hitmen77
05-16-2005, 01:27 PM

I'd have to say it's Wrigley that's undergoing a "Comiskey-fication".

Great point!

Anyway, the Sox have only added plants to the batters eye area. Since when did Wrigley Field become a pioneer in batters eye greenery? Seems to me that they added weeds to their batters eye just a few years ago. Before that, their batters eye was just a barren area. IIRC, the Cubs added greenery to their batters eye AFTER other parks like the Ballpark at Arlington introduced.

JoseCanseco6969
05-16-2005, 01:32 PM

ahhhhh my freakin eyes!!! the horror!

Brian26
05-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Harry just took up the argument talking about how Bill Veeck (who the great Cubs fan Teinowitz had no clue as to what his exact association was with the Cubs...thought his dad might have owned the club)

I heard that pathetic exchange. You'd think Teinowitz would know how the heck Veeck was associated with the ballclub.

balke
05-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I heard that show. Whoever said the sox were stealing ivy sounded pretty dumb for about the next 5 minutes, as fans called in and names at least 2 other stadiums that have used Ivy before the Cubs, and how many teams around the league do and have done it for years. All of Chicago uses ivy as decoration, and its a nice way to decorate some of the park.

Harry(?) later said that Sox fans would be upset if the Cubs put in exploding pinwheels. It was just a dumb argument. People associate Wrigley with having IVy, they don't associate Ivy with Wrigley necessarily. And yes, there's a difference. On a related note, I think the Ivy looks great on the batters eye. The cell gets more and more beautiful.

TDog
05-16-2005, 02:35 PM
I thought the ivy at the Cell was paying homage to Forbes Field. People don't remember it because it was two parks ago in Pittsburgh, but it had ivy and formal gardens outside. As they weren't beer gardens, I guess people don't remember Forbes Field fondly anymore, but I saw a twi-night doubleheader there in 1969.

I know the Cell's blue seats were supposed to be paying tribute to Brooklyn's Ebbets Field, but when I was last at a game on Chicago's south side, the park smelled far too good to be paying any tribute to Wrigley.

seanpmurphy
05-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Basically there just is no comparing The Cell to Wrigley...so who cares?