PDA

View Full Version : Bret Boone to Sox?

HootieMcBoob
11-09-2001, 02:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/mlbrumorcentral2001.html

It's on ESPN's rumor central.

But don't bet on it - it ain't gonna happen. Remember when we were all hyped up about A-Rod coming to the Sox? Save yourself the trouble and totally doubt that this deal will happen, then you won't be disappointed.

FarWestChicago
11-09-2001, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob
Remember when we were all hyped up about A-Rod coming to the Sox?Not all of us fell for that scam. I was amongst the group that didn't. I clearly stated from day one there was absolutely no chance of Pay-Rod coming to the Sox at that time.

:payrod

You got that one right!

Soxheads
11-09-2001, 02:41 PM
I disregard anything from ESPN.com.

doublem23
11-09-2001, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

There's some good advice.

FarWestChicago
11-09-2001, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads
:boston

My sources tell me I am full of crap.

:blockhead

So what else is new around here?

Soxheads
11-09-2001, 04:13 PM
I'd love to see what those two would say if they came to WSI.

Jerry_Manuel
11-09-2001, 04:20 PM
ESPN and thir "Rumor Central" put teams down who in their eyes need a 2nd basemen. Notice how they said the Sox could always move Durham to center field. It's all crap anyway if anything the Sox will cut payroll not add to it.

:ray
CF? Show me the money at 2nd.

KempersRS
11-09-2001, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

:boston

My sources tell me I am full of crap.

:blockhead

So what else is new around here?

http://espn-i.starwave.com/@v=0811220@/i/columnists/cohn_linda_c.jpg
This just in, Rey Ordonez and John Valentin hit homers to lead the Sox to victory today.

:morgan
I really like that Ray Durham, he's a sparkplug out there!

http://espn-i.starwave.com/@v=0840752@/i/columnists/scott_stuart_c.jpg
BooYa!!

FarWestChicago
11-09-2001, 04:29 PM
LMAO!! Well done, Kempers.

Vsahajpal
11-09-2001, 05:31 PM
on TSN's Hot Stove, the Cubs are listed as a potential Boone suitor. Stupid TSN. Just goes to show you how irrelevant this crap is. Meanwhile Tim Hummel launched a HR yesterday.

Someone make fun of Mariotti!

czalgosz
11-09-2001, 07:01 PM
Even if the Sox are interested, I hope to god they don't land him. Boone's good, but his value will never be higher than it is right now.

Last season was pretty much a fluke season, IMO. He'll settle back down. I'd rather they spend the 10-12 Mill somewhere else.

Vsahajpal
11-09-2001, 07:21 PM
I'd like the Sox to get a frontline starter, and let Crede or Valentin play 3b. Jason Schmidt would be a good guy to have, if they don't go spend money on Park.

Daver
11-09-2001, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
I'd like the Sox to get a frontline starter, and let Crede or Valentin play 3b. Jason Schmidt would be a good guy to have, if they don't go spend money on Park.

I see little to no chance on the Sox spending big dollars on a starting pitcher,they may bring in a veteran,but not a high priced one.

But then again what the hell do I know?

Paulwny
11-09-2001, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by daver

I see little to no chance on the Sox spending big dollars on a starting pitcher,they may bring in a veteran,but not a high priced one.

But then again what the hell do I know?

Agree, unless we deal 2 players for a pitcher and the $$$ equalize.

kermittheefrog
11-10-2001, 01:00 AM
If Boone gets a ton of money from anyone it'll be a foolish move. A big reason Boone was so great this year is because he hit .331. Well he's a .265 career hitter and this was only his second season hitting above .300. His next best BA eason after this year and 94 when he hit .320 in just 381 ABs was 1995 when he hit .267. So chances are much greater Bret Boone the .260 hitter will show up next year rather than Bret Boone the .300+ hitter.

Boone is also another high strikeouts, low walks guy and at 33 next year he's losing his defensive value fast. For his career he hits .265/.321/.435 which isn't anything special. If Boone signs a 4 deal with Seattle I'd be surprised if he's still in the majors for the last year or two.

Bmr31
11-10-2001, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
If Boone gets a ton of money from anyone it'll be a foolish move. A big reason Boone was so great this year is because he hit .331. Well he's a .265 career hitter and this was only his second season hitting above .300. His next best BA eason after this year and 94 when he hit .320 in just 381 ABs was 1995 when he hit .267. So chances are much greater Bret Boone the .260 hitter will show up next year rather than Bret Boone the .300+ hitter.

Boone is also another high strikeouts, low walks guy and at 33 next year he's losing his defensive value fast. For his career he hits .265/.321/.435 which isn't anything special. If Boone signs a 4 deal with Seattle I'd be surprised if he's still in the majors for the last year or two.

i agree with kermie. Why spend big bucks on a free agent who isnt going to be able to grow with the core of our very young team? Big bucks must be spent on someone 28 and under.....

CredeFan
11-10-2001, 01:09 PM
I doubt Bret Boon will ever be here, but I'd love to see Rey Ordonez at SS instead of Mr. Mvp Clayton.

IA_soxfan
11-10-2001, 03:30 PM
Woah, did i miss something? Why in the hell are we in the robin ventura running? It makes no sense to let crede rot in triple A while ventura has a mediocre season. Kenny Williams is stupid, but can he possibly be that stupid?

stefaninsane
11-10-2001, 04:01 PM
Ventura and Boone next year??? Ech...

Jjav829
11-10-2001, 04:58 PM
I'd love to see Rey Ordonez at SS instead of Mr. Mvp Clayton.

Wow, do you actually mean that? I mean I know Clayton isn't going to be winning any batting titles soon, but Rey "What the hell is that white ball they're throwing at me" Ordonez instead? *shutters*

czalgosz
11-10-2001, 05:00 PM
Robin Ventura (2001) - .778 OPS, 21 HR, 61 RBI. (456 ABs)
Jeff Liefer (2001) - .833 OPS, 18 HR, 39 RBI (254 ABs).

If you pro-rate out Liefer to 456 ABs, he gets 32 HRs and 70 RBIs. Liefer is a better ballplayer than Ventura at this point in their respective careers at 1/10 the cost. It would be incredibly stupid to trade for Ventura. I will gladly join the "Fire Ken Williams" bandwagon if this trade happens.

doublem23
11-10-2001, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I will gladly join the "Fire Ken Williams" bandwagon if this trade happens.

Fire Ken Williams? Whatever would make someone say something like that?

:)

:reinsy
Yeah, he's so cheap...

HootieMcBoob
11-10-2001, 05:23 PM
i don't think Bret Boone is going to disappear next year stats wise... anyone read that Baseball Weekly w/ him on the cover? I read that article - Boone lifted and got himslf into incredible shape before this season which is why the ball jumps off his bat and why his power #'s are up. I think he'll have several good seasons like the one last year. Can anyone try finding that article from BW? but it doesn't matter that much cuz the Sox ain't gettin him.

Iguana775
11-10-2001, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Robin Ventura (2001) - .778 OPS, 21 HR, 61 RBI. (456 ABs)
Jeff Liefer (2001) - .833 OPS, 18 HR, 39 RBI (254 ABs).

If you pro-rate out Liefer to 456 ABs, he gets 32 HRs and 70 RBIs. Liefer is a better ballplayer than Ventura at this point in their respective careers at 1/10 the cost. It would be incredibly stupid to trade for Ventura. I will gladly join the "Fire Ken Williams" bandwagon if this trade happens.

but you forget lief is an absolute butcher at 3b. i dont want him anywhere near that position next year. i would much rather have robin there than lief.

duke of dorwood
11-10-2001, 05:52 PM
Well, what if they bring in a low priced FA pitcher, like a Kevin Tapani?

czalgosz
11-10-2001, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775

but you forget lief is an absolute butcher at 3b. i dont want him anywhere near that position next year. i would much rather have robin there than lief.

Ventura's not much better defensively at this point than Liefer is. Ventura made 16 errors last season despite playing in limited time due to injuries. He also has lost quite a bit of range. Anyway, I'm not saying Liefer should be playing third except in very limited duty, what I am saying is that Liefer is the one most likely to lose his roster spot to Ventura (and I believe the Sox have to let him go if they can't find a spot on their opening day roster for him next year) and he doesn't deserve to lose his spot to Ventura.

Personally, I'd like to see Crede start at 3rd next season, with Valentin as backup and Liefer as a lefty bat off the bench / backup 1st baseman / 5th outfielder. I loved Robin when he was on the Sox, but don't bring him back now...

Jerry_Manuel
11-10-2001, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Well, what if they bring in a low priced FA pitcher, like a Kevin Tapani?

I think he is going to retire.

kermittheefrog
11-11-2001, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by CredeFan
I doubt Bret Boon will ever be here, but I'd love to see Rey Ordonez at SS instead of Mr. Mvp Clayton.

I think Rey Ordonez is the most overrated player in baseball. His defense isn't really better than Rey Sanchez or Neifi Perez. At the same time he's by far the worst offensive player in baseball. He can't hit for average, hit for power, draw walks or steal bases. He's not even a great bunter. One factor that pushed the Mets to the World Series in 2000 was losing Rey Ordonez to an injury early in the season.

His career batting average is just .243. In 772 career games he's got just 112 extra base hits. That's about one EBH a week, counting off days it's less than that. He doesn't have speed, his career high in SB is 11 and for his career he is 26 for 46.

He doesn't draw walks, his career high is 49 and he averages 34 per 162 games. For his career he scores just 47 runs per 162 games and 46 RBI. His career OBP is .290 and slugging .300. Rey Ordonez is a crazy bad offensive player. He doesn't come close to making up for it with his glove.

Bmr31
11-11-2001, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

I think Rey Ordonez is the most overrated player in baseball. His defense isn't really better than Rey Sanchez or Neifi Perez. At the same time he's by far the worst offensive player in baseball. He can't hit for average, hit for power, draw walks or steal bases. He's not even a great bunter. One factor that pushed the Mets to the World Series in 2000 was losing Rey Ordonez to an injury early in the season.

His career batting average is just .243. In 772 career games he's got just 112 extra base hits. That's about one EBH a week, counting off days it's less than that. He doesn't have speed, his career high in SB is 11 and for his career he is 26 for 46.

He doesn't draw walks, his career high is 49 and he averages 34 per 162 games. For his career he scores just 47 runs per 162 games and 46 RBI. His career OBP is .290 and slugging .300. Rey Ordonez is a crazy bad offensive player. He doesn't come close to making up for it with his glove.

wow kermie we agree yet again.........

Nellie_Fox
11-11-2001, 03:08 AM
Liefer is an absolute stone glove. I've found that way too many people on this board look only at offense. Baseball is still a game where defense and pitching rule. Loading up on DH's will kill you.

kermittheefrog
11-11-2001, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31

wow kermie we agree yet again.........

Full moon?

kermittheefrog
11-11-2001, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Liefer is an absolute stone glove. I've found that way too many people on this board look only at offense. Baseball is still a game where defense and pitching rule. Loading up on DH's will kill you.

I agree with Leifer. I have to say there is a reason he was moved from third to first in the minors and it ain't because the Sox had too much talent at third to leave him there. As a rule in the minors good hitters generally play the toughest position they can handle. Liefer played third, eventually the Sox brass gave up and tried him in left and first. Well now they are saying, hey we don't have a third baseman, let's see if Liefer can play there now even though he couldn't before. That's pretty silly. At the very least they'll waste Liefer's time, at the worst they'll start the season with him at third and hurt the team by asking too much of him.

czalgosz
11-11-2001, 10:37 AM
I don't want to see Liefer at third any more than the rest of you do, I'm just saying he's a more valuable player at this point of his career than Robin Ventura is. Even if Liefer could only DH, and Ventura was still a Gold Glover (which he's not), I would still rather pay Liefer 800,000 to be on my team than pay Ventura 8,000,000.

In any case, as has been demonstrated, we don't need another third baseman. Trading for Robin Ventura, even if we get him for free, would be stupid, stupid, stupid. He would take ABs away from guys who deserve it. If we have to lose prospects and a bunch of money, I would send the guys with the little white coats by Ken Williams' house the next day to take him away forever.

DrCrawdad
11-15-2001, 10:53 AM
Kenny Williams was on the SCORE and KW said that the Sox will not be signing ANY free agents. I didn't hear the entire interview but they said that KW said no to resigning David Wells too.

FarWestChicago
11-15-2001, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Kenny Williams was on the SCORE and KW said that the Sox will not be signing ANY free agents. I didn't hear the entire interview but they said that KW said no to resigning David Wells too. Welcome to WSI, DrCrawdad!!

fuzzy_patters
11-15-2001, 01:29 PM
Where did this thread come from? I clicked the link and the ESPN page specifically said "Red Sox." Last I checked, we are not the Red Sox.

Jerry_Manuel
11-15-2001, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Where did this thread come from? I clicked the link and the ESPN page specifically said "Red Sox." Last I checked, we are not the Red Sox.

It did say White Sox at first, with the comment that the Sox could move Durham to center.

DrCrawdad
11-16-2001, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Welcome to WSI, DrCrawdad!!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I've been posting on the WS Newsgroup for awhile, and now I've decided to jump on here as well.

I can't say that I'm surprised that KW isn't going to move on any FA's, were there any out there that are worth pursuing or that the Sox have a realistic shot at signing?

However, doesn't it seem to be stupid to be advertise that you're not going after any FA's? What are many fans going to think of this move? Hey I'm all for being frank & honest, but that doesn't excuse stupidity.

I have appreciated some of KW's candid remarks, particularly his evaluation of his first year, but KW needs to brush up on his PR skills. Seems as though KW's tutoring under Schueller shows.

FarWestChicago
11-16-2001, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
However, doesn't it seem to be stupid to be advertise that you're not going after any FA's? What are many fans going to think of this move? Hey I'm all for being frank & honest, but that doesn't excuse stupidity.:KW

Well, we really like Berry's arm...

SOXSINCE'70
11-17-2001, 06:29 AM
:ohno

After hearing GM Lenny Billiams say that the Sox would not be going after any free agents this off season,one has to ask the question my relatives ask during the jewish holiday known as Passover:

"Why is this year different from any other??"

Later.