PDA

View Full Version : Burly on ESPN.com's MLB front page, Sox get props from Jayson Stark

SouthSideHitman
05-13-2005, 11:48 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2058986

"So for any rotation to be pitching this well would be major news. For a rotation that returned four of five starters from the third-worst group in the league, it's the story of the season so far."

Finally some more recognition. It says that the Sox may fade, but there's a good chance that they aren't a fluke. Not bad.

Hangar18
05-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Im very surprised and happy at the way things are turning out.
Sure, we might fade in the end, but the only reason this team WONT
make it is because of our Offense (Dye & Konerko). If we shore up
the Offense, we have a REAL, and VERY GOOD CHANCE of going places
come October ............

cheeses_h_rice
05-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2058986)

Until they arrived in Tampa Bay this week, White Sox starting pitchers actually had a combined ERA of under 3.00.

Not to imply that was eye-opening or anything but the last American League rotation to submerge its ERA below 3.00 was the 1974 Vida Blue-Catfish Hunter-Ken Holtzman edition of the Oakland A's.

So for any rotation to be pitching this well would be major news. For a rotation that returned four of five starters from the third-worst group in the league, it's the story of the season so far.

:thumbsup:

soltrain21
05-13-2005, 04:44 PM
It says that the Sox may fade, but there's a good chance that they aren't a fluke.

What journalistic dynamite!

Huisj
05-13-2005, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure I like the spin Stark puts on this. He talks about returning 4 of the 5 starters from last year, but one of those starters was with the Sox for 3 months (Garcia) and one was with the Sox for just 2 months (Contreras). Which means we went through more than half the season without two of those 4 returners, which means we had a bunch of crap in place of those guys. What was the combined ERA of those 4 returning players? Not 5.30 or whatever the overall rotation ERA was.

The total ERA of the 4 returners while they with the Sox last year was about 4.48.

The total ERA of the sox' current 5 starters from the whole season last year was about 4.34.

So basically, yes, the rotation has been incredible, and has been better than expected, but I don't think it's as ridiculous of a surprise as he's making it sound like. These 5 pitchers last year would not have made close to the worst 5-man rotation in the league, which is almost the twist he's seeming to put on it. That 5.30 ERA didn't have a lot to do with the guys that are in the rotation today.

Also, he seemed to kind of make KW come off stupid in this, making it sound like he's pretending now that he saw this coming all along even though he really didn't. Well, if you go back to the offseason and to spring training, KW was predicting all the time that the pitching would carry this team, so yes, he's right, Jason. Maybe it's just me, but Stark seems to be hinting that he doesn't believe KW when he plays it cool and says he saw it coming. He acts like this rotation just came out of nowhere and has no business being good.

maybe i'm just cranky though because i'm too busy to get sleep this week