PDA

View Full Version : Garland Winning 20 Games...Buy or Sell

SoxFan48
05-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Will be coming on Around the Horn..ESPN in a few minutes.

I will buy.

buehrle4cy05
05-13-2005, 05:17 PM
LIVE updates:

Mariotti Buy
Cowlishaw Sell
Paige Sell
Armstrong Buy

MIgrenade
05-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Mariotti BOUGHT!? EGADS?! and then he got booted...

I still don't like that show.

pailhoase
05-13-2005, 05:18 PM
i was just about to make a thread. i cant believe mariotti bought it. and armstrong says cy young.... very interesting

SoxFan48
05-13-2005, 05:18 PM
LIVE updates:

Mariotti Buy
Cowlishaw Sell
Paige Sell
Armstrong Buy

Talked about how Garland has put his head together with great stuff and at age 25 is emerging as a great pitcher.

Flames24Rulz
05-13-2005, 05:19 PM
i think the show sucks too...but i cant believe Mariotti thinks JG will get 20. is it cold in Hell right now?

elrod
05-13-2005, 05:20 PM
That one pitch to Tejada did more to advance his reputation than anything else he's done all year.

Brian26
05-13-2005, 05:23 PM
i think the show sucks too...but i cant believe Mariotti thinks JG will get 20. is it cold in Hell right now?

:moron

"Whoa, hold up Mr. Sox Fan. Take a deep breath and count to ten. I will be dancin' my ass off at Sluggers in October when Cub-Nation goes all the way through the NLCS and claims sweet redemption with a trip (a delicious trip, might I add) to the World Series. I said Garland would win 20....but I also think Buehrle and Garcia will lose 30. I still pick the southside for 4th place. Bartender- get me a stone sour on the rocks, pronto!"

DumpJerry
05-13-2005, 05:25 PM
That one pitch to Tejada did more to advance his reputation than anything else he's done all year.
Friends, that one pitch might the moment we look back to at the end of October after the ticker tape parade as the precise point in time when the Sox went from "lucky" to "studly." Mark my words.

Cubsuck_a_lot
05-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Friends, that one pitch might the moment we look back to at the end of October after the ticker tape parade as the precise point in time when the Sox went from "lucky" to "studly." Mark my words.

its weird, buti thought the same thing once i was done hootin and hollerin' for Johnny Boy. that was an amazing face-off. im so proud that our little Johnny has grown up so nicely

Flight #24
05-13-2005, 05:33 PM
FWIW - Garland's next starts, assuming he goes every 5th game:

v. TEX
@ CHC
@ TEX
v. LAA
@ COL
v. ARI
v. LAD
v. CHC
@ OAK
v. OAK

Some tough offenses in there, but I gotta believe that he can win 5 of those games, which will put him at 12 wins. getting 8 more in the 2d half shouldn't be a problem.

So even if he isn't as dominant, the improved O (with Frank back) and his hot start should net him 20. If not, this team is in trouble (i.e. not many wins), or he fell off the table.

ja1022
05-13-2005, 06:57 PM
Color me a buyer. I don't know who else caught this, but back on April 15th (I know it was the 15th because me and the boy were headed up to the land of cheese for a little walleye fishing) Buehrle was on the pre game show talking about Garland, who had the start that night. In reference to what kind of a year Garland was going to have, Buehrle said something to the effect of "...he's not going to win 20 games or anything, but he's going to have a good year..." I found it a little strange that Mark would say that about his bud, but figured it was either good natured, competitive ribbing, or maybe Mark is a motivational genius who knew exactly what he was saying and why. I told Zach when we heard it that I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Garland had a breakout year like Dotson had back in '83 (22-7 at 24 years of age IIRC). I've been critical of Garland in the past, but that game last night after a rougher start in Toronto showed me a lot. Unlike Dotson, I think Garland can do it for several years to come also.

CleeFan101
05-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Actually Marriotti has been giving us props on around the horn a lot recently... but all the other guys call him crazy... stupid woody paige, adande, smith, cowlishaw

santo=dorf
05-13-2005, 07:20 PM
:reinsy
"I'm going to cell, sorry, sell."

buehrle4cy05
05-13-2005, 08:06 PM
@ OAK
v. OAK

Can somebody tell me how much the Twins paid off the schedule makers to give the Sox another series in Oakland?!!:angry::angry::angry:

IA_soxfan
05-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Anybody else catch Moronotti's subdued potshot at Hawk? They were showing a clip of Garland's 3-2 strikeout of Tejada and Hawk could be heard saying "He Gone!" in the background. Stat boy or whatever his name is repeated it, and Morontti said something to the effect of "you should drop the he gone, that's not cool". I wasn't really paying attention so I just barely caught it, but the bottom line is that Moronotti is still a little bitter about Hawk calling him out on numerous occasions.

"It doesn't matter that I didn't think the Sox would do diddly squat this year! They're on fire now and dammit, I want on that bandwagon!"

:hawk
"Moronotti's journalistic integrity? IT GAWN!"

fquaye149
05-14-2005, 02:27 AM
:reinsy
"I'm going to cell, sorry, sell."

oh brother...it had to be you santo :)

shoota
05-14-2005, 04:11 AM
Anybody else catch Moronotti's subdued potshot at Hawk? They were showing a clip of Garland's 3-2 strikeout of Tejada and Hawk could be heard saying "He Gone!" in the background. Stat boy or whatever his name is repeated it, and Morontti said something to the effect of "you should drop the he gone, that's not cool". I wasn't really paying attention so I just barely caught it, but the bottom line is that Moronotti is still a little bitter about Hawk calling him out on numerous occasions.

"It doesn't matter that I didn't think the Sox would do diddly squat this year! They're on fire now and dammit, I want on that bandwagon!"

:hawk
"Moronotti's journalistic integrity? IT GAWN!"

Now that he knows it bothers Mariotti, Stat boy should say it as he eliminates him from the show.

And yeah, ATH sucks. Rome is Burning at 3:30 and PTI at 4:30 for me.

kevingrt
05-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Right now I would seriously buy the argument. He only needs to win 13 more games. Only yeah, but think how easily he has looked at doing this. I think Garland won't get injured either, knock on wood. He doesn't overpower hitters, but throws a near 95 MPH fastball but it doesn't look like he is putting a crapload of effort into velocity. I don't know what else to say but Garland is the best fifth starter in the MLB in a long WHILE

the_valenstache
05-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Now that he knows it bothers Mariotti, Stat boy should say it as he eliminates him from the show.

I'm not that regular of a viewer, but I'm pretty sure he has been doing that for months now.