PDA

View Full Version : My Review of the new FUNdamentals Deck

StillMissOzzie
05-13-2005, 05:00 PM
We got to Thursday night's game about 45 minutes early, allowing ample time to browse through the new FUNdamentals decks. I don't know if this was because it was the grand opening or just the first night of the homestand, but several of the things to do that will normally take tokens, were free.

1) The first thing, for smaller kids, is where you hit the ball that spins around on an axle. This was too "little kid" for my son, so he didn't try it.
2) They also have 4 real pitching machine batting cages, 2 slow speed and 2 medium speed. My boy went into one of the medium speed cages.
3) There's a throwing thing that's actually two events in one. You're trying to hit the moving catchers, as they scroll by from left to right like ducks at the shooting gallery, while at the same time a radar gun clocks your speed. My son's heater got up to 51 mph.
4) At the next deck down, where the mini-diamond is, they had coachs throwing grounders and pop-ups to the kids, who would field it, throw back to the coach, then get back in line. Don't worry if you left your glove at home, they have plenty of loaners. My boy liked this and did it for about 15 minutes.
5) Another thing they had that we didn't try was the Scott Podsednik base race. The kids race against a life-sized cut-out of Scotty for 90 feet. Scott's base running speed is variable, but it looked like the kids won most of the time.

One of the signs I saw suggested that maybe the first game of EVERY homestand would have free FUNdamentals, but maybe this was just free last night because it was the grand opening. Even so, for maybe a couple of bucks you could sample everything that FUNdamentals has to offer.
My son is now 12, so some of this stuff is on the edge of boring him, but if you've got kids in the 6 - 12 range, FUNdaentals is highly recommended and it's worth the trip. Also, note that FUNdamentals is accessible from EVERY level, from the 100, 300, or 500 levels.

SMO
:gulp:

crazyozzie02
05-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Personally I hate it for two reasons and I was gonna post this in a thread but i never got around to it:

#1-It blocks for the scoreboard if you are sitting down the left field line, at least for most of that side
#2-They have nothing for older people like a fast pitch and stuff like that, that Brooks had promised us.

I dont like it. Either tear it down or move the scoreboard one billboard over

DumpJerry
05-13-2005, 05:10 PM
My son's heater got up to 51 mph.
Remember, if signs with Borasssss, the Sox won't talk with him.

BTW, I've been up there several times, the only token machines I've noticed was the pitching to the moving catchers machine which has been free each time. Did you see token machines on the other sections?

Brian26
05-13-2005, 05:20 PM
Personally I hate it for two reasons and I was gonna post this in a thread but i never got around to it:......
I dont like it. Either tear it down or move the scoreboard one billboard over

Actually, the structure itself looks beautiful and is an excellent architectural transition between the high upper deck and the lower concourse. I can't comment on the actual activities happening on the Deck, but I like the concept, and I think it blends in perfectly at the new and improved ballpark.

LVSoxFan
05-13-2005, 05:23 PM
I don't mind it so much as long as they stop building on the concourse with that. Don't block out my sunlight!

jenmcm76
05-13-2005, 05:24 PM
#2-They have nothing for older people like a fast pitch and stuff like that, that Brooks had promised us.

I'm just curious what all was promised for older people. The only thing I know of that's actually there is the speed pitch on the center field concourse.

daveeym
05-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Personally I hate it for two reasons and I was gonna post this in a thread but i never got around to it:

#1-It blocks for the scoreboard if you are sitting down the left field line, at least for most of that side

I dont like it. Either tear it down or move the scoreboard one billboard over They still have the radar gun in centerfield on the concourse.

HomeFish
05-13-2005, 05:26 PM
I've seen a radar gun set up in the Upper Deck before. I hope its still there; I am taking a group of 7 into 552 tonight, and I promised them a speed pitch.

mweflen
05-13-2005, 05:27 PM
I don't like that it blocks the scoreboard, but all in all it seems like a really cool addition. It's nice to recommend it to parents and so on.