PDA

View Full Version : What is Roger Clemens going to do?

Fenway
05-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Last year it was Randy Johnson. This year the name that will be mentioned will be Clemens.

Yes Houston has said they will not trade him BUT has Clemens ruled it out? I don't think so

After he beat the Marlins Monday, Clemens was asked if he'd finish his career in Houston and answered, "I'm not even thinking about that . . . I can't think that far ahead."

That certainly sounds like a guy who would approve a trade.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/05/13/twilight_star?pg=2

The question is IF he goes, where does he go?

New York? They need pitching but they have NOTHING to offer Houston NOTHING

Boston? He started there and the people who ran him out are long gone and he is good friends with Schilling.

White Sox? He would love to win a ring for a place that hasn't for a long long time.

Dodgers Possible

This will be an interesting saga.

Jjav829
05-13-2005, 04:25 PM
I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like if we acquired Clemens at the deadline. It's a waste of time though because it will never happen. :(:

DumpJerry
05-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Schueler (sp) may trade for him and Navvaro, but KW has no use for him. Who would he replace or do we send one of our starters to Houston? He's too old to trade away our future. If Frank comes back a reignites the offense, I don't see a need for a mid-season trade. Let everyone else try, TRY, to catch us after July!:D:

brewcrew/chisox
Sheets, Davis, Santos, Cappuano, Clemens.....Brewers World Series

Ol' No. 2
Roger Clemens has an $18M contract with an additional $3M due if he's traded. So you could get him for half a year at the bargain price of only $12M. Is this really the best use of $12M you can think of?

Fenway
05-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Roger Clemens has an $18M contract with an additional $3M due if he's traded. So you could get him for half a year at the bargain price of only $12M. Is this really the best use of $12M you can think of?

A lot depends on where a team sits come July 30th.

Then comes the bigger question a GM must ask? Is my team good enough to WIN the World Series, not just be one of eight.

If you think the 12M will greatly improve your chances to win, you do it, because sometimes tomorrow never comes.

MIgrenade
05-13-2005, 05:26 PM
I don't think he leaves unless he can go to the Yankees and, if they are smart, they won't be buying in August. I think he ends up where he is right now.

Kogs35
05-13-2005, 05:30 PM
no way he leaves too expensive, and houston wants to sell tickets in september for every 5th day.

Jjav829
05-13-2005, 06:13 PM

For this year, yes. We're talking about one of the best pitchers ever. This is a guy that single-handedly takes the Sox from playoff caliber team to World Series caliber team. Tell me you wouldn't drool at the thought of Roger Clemens taking the hill for the Sox in game 1 of the playoffs. :drool:

Like I said though, it'll never happen. But it's fun to dream.

Paulwny
05-13-2005, 06:28 PM
If Clemens goes to NY, yankmee payroll > $210 mil.
I don't know if Clemens has a no-trade clause, if he does I hope he demands a contract extension before agreeing to a trade, really put the squeeze on George.

SoxFan76
05-13-2005, 06:32 PM
I'd cry if Clemens came to the Sox. Move Contreras to the closer spot, Shingo/Marte setup, then there's Hermanson! Wow, that would be a lot of fun to watch.

DumpJerry
05-13-2005, 06:45 PM
If Clemens goes to NY, yankmee payroll > $210 mil.
I don't know if Clemens has a no-trade clause, if he does I hope he demands a contract extension before agreeing to a trade, really put the squeeze on George.
I'm guessing The Boss does not want to spend that kind of money because of the luxury tax. This was discussed on a different thread which talked about the players he did not go after in the offseason that he needed (Beltran)....

Paulwny
05-13-2005, 06:55 PM
I'm guessing The Boss does not want to spend that kind of money because of the luxury tax. This was discussed on a different thread which talked about the players he did not go after in the offseason that he needed (Beltran)....

At the beginning of the season George may have felt that his pitching would rule . I don't think either he or Torre expected this big a drop off in Williams, so they didn't persue Beltran.
Does anyone besides George and his bean counters know exactly how much he has available for pay-roll ?

buehrle4cy05
05-13-2005, 07:12 PM
There's no way that Drayton McClane will trade Clemens. He would lose most of the attendence that the Astros draw...plus, he's one of the better hitters on the team:bandance:

maurice
05-13-2005, 07:33 PM
The question is IF he goes, where does he go?
New York?
Boston?
White Sox?
Dodgers Possible

:?:
Don't get your hopes up. I saw an interview with Clemens last week.
He said he'd only accept a trade to the Yankess.

Win1ForMe
05-13-2005, 07:43 PM
This is going to sound stupid (and it's predicated on Garland continuing to pitch well -- an iffy proposition), but wouldn't it be very tough to sit one of Buehrle/Garland/Garcia/Duque in favor of Clemens? The odd guy out would probably be Hernandez, and he's been a great big game pitcher in his career.

Seems like if Kenny has $12 M burning a hole in his pocket (not to mention the prospects necessary to make such a move), it would be much wiser to spend it on a player to replace our poor middle-of-the-order power hitters.

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2005, 10:43 PM
It's pretty obvious Kenny could get Clemens for Harris and Borchard, and get the Astros to pick up half his salary as well. ChiSoxTony told me he heard Williams talking about that very deal at the airport today.

Seriously, anyone who wouldn't welcome a pitcher of Clemens' caliber needs to have his or her head examined.

Ol' No. 2
05-14-2005, 12:08 AM
For this year, yes. We're talking about one of the best pitchers ever. This is a guy that single-handedly takes the Sox from playoff caliber team to World Series caliber team. Tell me you wouldn't drool at the thought of Roger Clemens taking the hill for the Sox in game 1 of the playoffs. :drool:

Like I said though, it'll never happen. But it's fun to dream.Sure, I'd love to have The Rocket. But the question is, what else could you get for $12M? I have to think you could get TWO impact players for that amount of money. So would the difference between Clemens and say, Contreras for half a year be larger than the difference in getting say, Billy Wagner and a stud RF? I don't think so.

MRKARNO
05-14-2005, 12:18 AM
We're not getting Clemens, stop dreaming. We dont need him nor can we afford him money wise and for what the Astros will be asking considering the state of the Red Sox and Yankee staffs.

Jjav829
05-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Sure, I'd love to have The Rocket. But the question is, what else could you get for $12M? I have to think you could get TWO impact players for that amount of money. So would the difference between Clemens and say, Contreras for half a year be larger than the difference in getting say, Billy Wagner and a stud RF? I don't think so.

I suppose if our offense continues to hit like crap, we might need to fill a hole by doing that. But, say Frank comes back and hits hits close to how he's capable of hitting, Paulie gets on track, and either Everett shows he can handle RF or Dye starts hitting. Suddenly our offense doesn't look as pathetic. Now are you going to pass up the opportunity to get a once-in-a-lifetime pitcher who could lead us to the World Series?

Jjav829
05-14-2005, 11:02 AM
Seriously, anyone who wouldn't welcome a pitcher of Clemens' caliber needs to have his or her head examined.

But we have Jose Contreras, and when you have Jose Contreras, what good is Roger Clemens? :rolleyes:

Joel Perez
05-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Living near Houston, and hearing some Astros baseball games, I don't think The Rocket is going anywhere. Remember, he lives in Katy TX, some 15-20 minutes away from the "Double M Ranch", plus he's in his 40s, so...IMO don't think he's going anywhere. If anything, the 'Stros may pick up a bat or two to help jump-start their anemic offense.

They're going through what the Sox is going through offensively, except when the Sox needs hits, they usually get them. The Astros REALLY miss Lance Berkman in this department.

santo=dorf
05-14-2005, 12:16 PM
But we have Jose Contreras, and when you have Jose Contreras, what good is Roger Clemens? :rolleyes:

You know, it's not like Contreras is hurting the rotation. :?:

Ol' No. 2
05-14-2005, 12:57 PM
I suppose if our offense continues to hit like crap, we might need to fill a hole by doing that. But, say Frank comes back and hits hits close to how he's capable of hitting, Paulie gets on track, and either Everett shows he can handle RF or Dye starts hitting. Suddenly our offense doesn't look as pathetic. Now are you going to pass up the opportunity to get a once-in-a-lifetime pitcher who could lead us to the World Series?Anything's possible. But given that you can get TWO All-Star quality players for the same price, it's difficult to imagine that you won't get more bang for your buck that way. The bullpen can always be improved. It's that basic economic reality that convinces me that Clemens isn't going anywhere.

Jjav829
05-14-2005, 03:01 PM
You know, it's not like Contreras is hurting the rotation. :?:

I didn't say he is. I just find the notion that we don't need a guy like Clemens funny. There's no such thing as a rotation that can't use a Roger Clemens. I realize it isn't happening, but if Kenny ever had the chance to get a guy like Clemens, I'd hope he doesn't fall into this line of thinking. Anytime you can bump out your weakest link - Contreras - for someone 100 times better - Clemens- you do it. In fact, I'd almost guarantee that if the Astros keep tanking, Kenny is going to explore trying to get Rocket even though he knows it's likely a lost cause.

Fenway
05-14-2005, 03:39 PM

And Curt Schilling said he would only go to NYY or Philadelphia

The Yankees have nothing left in their system NOTHING to trade with

California Sox
05-14-2005, 04:39 PM
I imagine what you are getting at, Fenway, is "what are the chances Clemens agrees to go back to Boston?". I think the way Boston fans have treated him recently, which is to say respectfully, may have softened his heart a bit. (Five years ago he would have played for Communist China before he would have played for the Red Sox.) Still, he's very interested in seeing his sons play ball, they play in Houston, my gut tells me he's staying home.

That said, I think eventually he would relent and go to Boston almost as soon as he'd go to NY, if the Red Sox can bury the Yankees by July. But if the Yankees are in it, no way is he going to Boston.

Fenway
05-14-2005, 04:47 PM
I have given up trying to figure out Clemens years ago but I do know he has a keen sense of baseball history.

He knows he will probably be *forced* to go into the HoF as a Red Sox as Cooperstown makes the call now. There maybe something else that this student of history would like to do.

He is currently tied for the all-time lead in wins for any Red Sox pitcher at 192.

The other pitcher?

http://venus.lunarpages.com/~double2/Files/young_cy_web.jpg

That maybe worth more to Roger than $$$$ or another ring.

Win1ForMe
05-15-2005, 01:50 PM
I didn't say he is. I just find the notion that we don't need a guy like Clemens funny. There's no such thing as a rotation that can't use a Roger Clemens. I realize it isn't happening, but if Kenny ever had the chance to get a guy like Clemens, I'd hope he doesn't fall into this line of thinking. Anytime you can bump out your weakest link - Contreras - for someone 100 times better - Clemens- you do it. In fact, I'd almost guarantee that if the Astros keep tanking, Kenny is going to explore trying to get Rocket even though he knows it's likely a lost cause.

Jose Contreras is the least of our worries at the moment. I'd hope Kenny is going to explore ways in upgrading our anemic .190 Right Fielder before thinking of adding a luxury like Clemens.

voodoochile
05-15-2005, 02:11 PM
I have given up trying to figure out Clemens years ago but I do know he has a keen sense of baseball history.

He knows he will probably be *forced* to go into the HoF as a Red Sox as Cooperstown makes the call now. There maybe something else that this student of history would like to do.

He is currently tied for the all-time lead in wins for any Red Sox pitcher at 192.

The other pitcher?

http://venus.lunarpages.com/%7Edouble2/Files/young_cy_web.jpg

He won a couple of WS with the Yankees, don't discount that from the equation. I for one no longer associate Clemens with Boston as strongly as I once did.

Jjav829
05-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Jose Contreras is the least of our worries at the moment. I'd hope Kenny is going to explore ways in upgrading our anemic .190 Right Fielder before thinking of adding a luxury like Clemens.

I agree. I'm not trying to find a replacement for Contreras. I've been very pleasantly surprised with how he's pitched. I'm not saying we need to replace him, just that if an opportunity came along to add a pitcher as great as Clemens, we need to explore that opportunity. A real RF is the biggest need right now.

Frater Perdurabo
05-16-2005, 12:44 PM

Sure it's a long shot. But with every Houston loss, Clemens has to consider more heavily whether he wants to finish his career with a last-place team or with a winner. I think the lower the Astros fall, the more likely it is the competitor will win out over the family man. If that's the case, Kenny must be ready to deal.

If Clemens came to the Sox, Contreras would move to long relief. That's what the Sox have lacked so far this year. Such a guy would come in to pitch three innings in a situation like last Saturday (5/14), where Garcia got knocked around early. A long reliever also can get the under-valued three-inning save. That's the best reason to get another starter - it improves both the rotation and the bullpen.

Baby Fisk
05-16-2005, 12:49 PM
There maybe something else that this student of history would like to do.

The other pitcher?

http://venus.lunarpages.com/~double2/Files/young_cy_web.jpg

Bah! Haven't you heard? You don't have to be a player or even vaguely connected to the team anymore to win a ring these days! :wink:

forkball
05-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Giambi would be a nice part of a package deal to Houston for the rocket, I could see "the boss" biting the bullet to get more pitching.

PAPChiSox729
05-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Giambi would be a nice part of a package deal to Houston for the rocket, I could see "the boss" biting the bullet to get more pitching.

And Houston would want Giambi? I don't think so. Like the other posters have said, the Yankees basically have NO young talent left, outside of Wang and Bubba Crosby who both are not top class prospects.

Fenway
05-16-2005, 04:57 PM
Bah! Haven't you heard? You don't have to be a player or even vaguely connected to the team anymore to win a ring these days! :wink:

Margot the beer lady behind Sec 14 got hers :smile:

Ol' No. 2
05-16-2005, 05:01 PM
Margot the beer lady behind Sec 14 got hers :smile:Meh. You'll be able to buy them on eBay within a year.

Fenway
05-16-2005, 06:09 PM
He’s still not saying no, so the theories will continue to swirl for at least a little while longer.

In a mid-inning interview with ESPN’s Joe Morgan and Jon Miller last night, Houston Astros pitcher Roger Clemens was asked for about the 457th time since last Tuesday whether or not he might go somewhere else this season for the stretch run.

“Well, I’m not going anywhere right now,” came the reply from the Houston dugout.

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/05_16_05?mode=PF

Roger Clemens fanned 10 and walked none in eight innings of a 4-1 win over the Giants Saturday. The Rocket's ERA swelled to 1.11

and at YESnetwork.com Michael Kay ponders
Hey Michael,
If the Yankees want to go after Roger Clemens, what will they give up? They could not trigger a deal last year with the Diamondbacks to get Randy Johnson. Also, this means giving up more young prospects with another — be it great — 40-year-old pitcher. If this team gets Roger Clemens it is just an old team getting older.
Anthony — Hartford, Conn.

KAY: Hey Anthony,
If the Yankees go after Roger Clemens they would be assuming about $12 million in salary if they acquire him at the All-Star break. Clemens has a $3 million kicker added to his salary if he is dealt, and there will be half of the $18 million left on his deal, adding up to $12 million. The Yankees are the only team that could possibly think of assuming that much money, and taking that contract off the Astros' hands would be enough. I would think a mid-range minor league contract should be enough when connected to assuming the financial responsibility.

If the Yankees had to deal a big-time prospect like Eric Duncan for a half-year rental, I would not make the deal, but I don't think they would have to do that.

http://www.yesnetwork.com/announcers/article.asp?article_id=384