PDA

View Full Version : NYYFans.com gamethread for Sox O's

JoseCanseco6969
05-13-2005, 02:32 PM
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=83039

wow, even the people in the thread cant believe there is a 2 page thread dedicated to the White Sox and the O's. Pretty cool you gotta admit.

Those guys usually are very knowledgable fans as most of you know but they pretty much downplay Garlands start right here.
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=83056

soxtalker
05-13-2005, 02:53 PM
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=83039

wow, even the people in the thread cant believe there is a 2 page thread dedicated to the White Sox and the O's. Pretty cool you gotta admit.

Those guys usually are very knowledgable fans as most of you know but they pretty much downplay Garlands start right here.
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=83056

I thought that they were reasonably complimentary of Garland. As dominant as Garland has been, Willis seems to have been even more so. And to say that either Willis or Garland will slow down is, well, the most likely case. Both are likely to lose sometime. Nice to see the threads. I guess the rest of the country is beginning to notice.

SoxFan76
05-13-2005, 03:01 PM
Can't say I agree with the strikeout comments. Garland isn't a strikeout pitcher, therefore he doesn't have high strikeout totals. Seems obvious enough to me. Apparently to the fans on that board, they feel success is based off K totals. They also mention his K:BB ratio. Well if Garland walks 2 and strikes out 4, thats a 2:1 KK:BB ratio. So, again, if he isn't a strikeout pitcher his KK:BB ratio isn't going to look spectacular on paper.

NorthlakeTom
05-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks. That's a good, no-nonsense thread.

I like the following post. It seems that Yankee fans are more concerned with distancing themselves from Tampa Bay than catching the Orioles. LOL

We're still three games out of third ... let's worry about that first.

Anyone want to follow the "Battle of the losers" ... DRays vs. Kansas City? Right now the Royals lead it 5-0 in the fourth. Rays threatening though ... If KC holds on, that will boot us up a half game farther from the celler.

daveeym
05-13-2005, 03:14 PM
Can't say I agree with the strikeout comments. Garland isn't a strikeout pitcher, therefore he doesn't have high strikeout totals. Seems obvious enough to me. Apparently to the fans on that board, they feel success is based off K totals. They also mention his K:BB ratio. Well if Garland walks 2 and strikes out 4, thats a 2:1 KK:BB ratio. So, again, if he isn't a strikeout pitcher his KK:BB ratio isn't going to look spectacular on paper. They must looooove Wood(s).

SOXfnNlansing
05-13-2005, 04:46 PM
Garland doesn't have the chance to strike out the opposing pitcher 2-3 times a game like willis does.

cheeses_h_rice
05-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Can't say I agree with the strikeout comments. Garland isn't a strikeout pitcher, therefore he doesn't have high strikeout totals. Seems obvious enough to me. Apparently to the fans on that board, they feel success is based off K totals. They also mention his K:BB ratio. Well if Garland walks 2 and strikes out 4, thats a 2:1 KK:BB ratio. So, again, if he isn't a strikeout pitcher his KK:BB ratio isn't going to look spectacular on paper.

Is there a more annoying "attractive" trait about a pitcher than how fast he can throw or how many Ks he can get? It's about keeping your opponent from scoring, guys -- I'd much rather have a ground ball pitcher like Buehrle get 27 groundouts than some overhyped "flamethrower" like Carrie Woods getting 10 Ks while giving up 2 HRs and 3 doubles. Outs are outs. I just get so tired of hearing people drool about guys who throw in the upper 90s.

MIgrenade
05-13-2005, 05:05 PM

They are in New York, look at their pitching staff, all they care about is strikeouts.

BTW, thank God they had the three man booth for the national telecast because otherwise we would be getting ripped for having DJ sounding like a complete idiot.

shoota
05-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Garland doesn't have the chance to strike out the opposing pitcher 2-3 times a game like willis does.

And like the other guy the board compared Garland to: Maddux.

kevingrt
05-13-2005, 05:12 PM
Their thread of El Duque and former Yankee's is pretty funny to read from a New Yorker perspective. It is always nice to see the Yankee fans complain about something Steinbrenner and Cashman actually had control of like resigning Hernandez or Jon Lieber. I love Yankee fans, classic people!