PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Balls Back

LVSoxFan
05-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Okay Sox experts I need to settle an argument here.

Superfan, who sits next to me, is a Cubs fan (although awfully quite lately! LOL!). As you know, at Cubs games when the opponent goes yard, they throw the ball back. It's a tradition. You will be relentlessly booed if you don't.

There were a couple of instances earlier this season where that happened at the Cell. He said we were ripping off the Cubs. In disgust I said a) no, that some clueless people trying to start a trend and b) I believe that if you do that at the Cell, you get tossed.

So? What is it? I haven't seen it happen in a while.

seanpmurphy
05-13-2005, 01:12 PM
I don't know for certain but I was always under the impression you get tossed if you throw the ball back on the field. Ugh, Cubs fans...

bayzbol44
05-13-2005, 01:16 PM
It is not a rip off. I have seen that done in many stadiums. IF that is what they think, then I think people should just keep the balls and not throw them back. The only thing that team "invented" was "How to Lose and Fill Up a Stadium".

LVSoxFan
05-13-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm more concerned with winning the argument about you get tossed at the Cell if you do it.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Collect your money. Since when does getting kicked out constitute "proof?"

You're not that stupid are you?
:?:

Or are you?
:o:

mweflen
05-13-2005, 01:56 PM
If the security guards can identify that it was you, you may get thrown out, depending on how meek and apologetic you are. It is against policy to throw anything on the field, and you can be ejected and fined for it. If you are a jerk about it, you will definitely get tossed.

Personally, I think EVERYONE who does it should be tossed regarless of circumstances, and fined $100. And if they're a jerk about it, they should get the Yellow Pages treatment in the drunk tank for good measure.

Fredsox
05-13-2005, 02:28 PM
I'd also take issue with the characterization that is it a "tradition" on the north side. This is something that started a couple of years ago, I think it hardly qualifies as a tradition. If it is, then so is the wave. It's just a bunch of drunks acting childish.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-13-2005, 02:29 PM
If it is, then so is the wave. It's just a bunch of drunks acting childish.

Exactly. Only an idiotic Cubs fans could see it as anything else. Ain't that right, LV?

LVSoxFan
05-13-2005, 03:07 PM
So the answer is: we think you get tossed if you do it.

Just a little particular I wanted to know, no biggie.

I will say the funniest thing I've seen was during BoSox Yankees when A-Rod hit one over the Green Monster onto the street. Some Sox fan threw it back into the park, into center field--to many cheers. Johnny Damon picked up and threw it back out of the park, LMAO!

Then somebody threw it back in again. Finally an ump took it and put it in his pocket, to much applause.

Ahhhh... baseball...

JKryl
05-13-2005, 03:21 PM
I don't know for certain but I was always under the impression you get tossed if you throw the ball back on the field. Ugh, Cubs fans...

Maybe we could start a new tradition by throwing the Cub fan onto the field.

daveeym
05-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Exactly. Only an idiotic Cubs fans could see it as anything else. Ain't that right, LV? What's under your skin PHG, seems to me that you're trying to imply LV is a cubbie :dtroll:

jortafan
05-13-2005, 04:15 PM
I'd also take issue with the characterization that is it a "tradition" on the north side. This is something that started a couple of years ago, I think it hardly qualifies as a tradition. If it is, then so is the wave. It's just a bunch of drunks acting childish.

Actually, I can recall people at Wrigley throwing home run balls back onto the field as far back as when I was in college. That was 20-some years ago. It seemed like it started with the 1984 Cubs team that won the division title, before blowing it big time to San Diego.

It has been only in recent years that other teams feel the need to go along with it. I'd love it if the White Sox could be the exception.

The bottom line? It is a Cubs tradition. But like that ballclub's other traditions, it's stupid.

Palpidious
05-13-2005, 06:52 PM
i got tossed for throwing a cubs homer back on the field at the urinal a few years ago

daveeym
05-13-2005, 08:03 PM
i got tossed for throwing a cubs homer back on the field at the urinal a few years ago I was at an astros game and an astros fan got removed for not throwing a 'stros home run back, I THINK they just took him elsewhere to protect him as it was getting ugly and **** was being thrown, but I'm not positive.

TDog
05-14-2005, 05:28 AM
I thought the tradition wasn't to throw it back, but to lean over the railing to try to catch it instead of letting the fielder have a chance to catch it when the Cubs are only five outs away from the World Series.