PDA

View Full Version : CTA from the North

wdelaney72
05-13-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm taking my son to the game on Sunday and thought I would avoid traffic and the parking fee by taking the red line. Problem is, I live in the Northern suburbs. I know I can catch the blue line at Cumberland and transfer somewhere downtown, but I don't know which station to use. It looks like there's transfers at Washington, Monroe, and Jackson. Does it matter which one I use?

brewcrew/chisox
05-13-2005, 10:44 AM
I take the blue line. Any of those stops will allow you to transfer. I get off at Washington because its the first

irish rover
05-13-2005, 10:45 AM
no, Jackson I would say is the best. Good choice on parking at Cumberland and taking the blue line, I think it is 1.75 to park there

mweflen
05-13-2005, 10:45 AM
There is no transfer at Monroe. Only Washington and Jackson. Use Washington, because as mentioned, it is first. Be prepared to console your kid due to the long, scary tunnel :D:

skottyj242
05-13-2005, 10:46 AM
I would recommend transfering at Jackson that's what I do when I take the blue line. It's like a block walk underground but it's a pretty nice station. Then it's only four stops to out little slice of heaven.

elrod
05-13-2005, 10:47 AM
By Northern you mean Northwest? Because if it's North Shore then just go to the Purple Line in Evanson, which runs express to Belmont. Then take the Red Line to 35th.

One good option if you live near a Metra station is to take Metra to NW or Union Station and then take the Green Line down to Bronzeville/IIT/35th street. The Green Line is right next to Northwestern Station.

irish rover
05-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Now that i live in Kenosha, I take the Metra to Evanston, then take the purple to the red

Hangar18
05-13-2005, 10:53 AM
It looks like there's transfers at Washington, Monroe, and Jackson. Does it matter which one I use?

Use ANY of those stations, cross thru the "tunnel" which leads
to the RedLine and PRESTO. Your on your way. Usually, you will probably
see other SOX Fans going thru the tunnel towards the Red Line.

ChicagoHoosier
05-13-2005, 10:56 AM
I would recommend transfering at Jackson that's what I do when I take the blue line. It's like a block walk underground but it's a pretty nice station. Then it's only four stops to out little slice of heaven.
Agree that the Jackson stop has been renovated. The tunnel is nicer and brighter.

SoxFan78
05-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Also remember there are maps on the trains to tell you where the transfers are and also before each stop they announce if you can transfer or not. Don't worry, you'll be fine.

irish rover
05-13-2005, 11:00 AM
also just a side note, take the 95th street train on the red line, alittle hard to determine north from south down there

Hangar18
05-13-2005, 11:00 AM
I'm taking my son to the game on Sunday and thought I would avoid traffic and the parking fee by taking the red line. Problem is, I live in the Northern suburbs. I know I can catch the blue line at Cumberland and transfer somewhere downtown, but I don't know which station to use. It looks like there's transfers at Washington, Monroe, and Jackson. Does it matter which one I use?

My first game ever, I took the "L" to the game with my dad. We lived in
Lincoln Park at the time, and I remember the train going underground suddenly. My dad showed me the CTA map, and explained how I could get to 35th & Shields from ANYWHERE in Chicago, from all the different train lines. Back in the day, the "red" line was called the Englewood and ran where the current Green Line is. We transferred at State & Lake, then took that to 35th. Its something i'll always remember as a kid.

So when you take your kid, make sure you sit on the RIGHT side of the car, by the window, and have your son watching, when you emerge from that tunnel after Chinatown, how the Park suddenly appears. Its always a magical sight.

skottyj242
05-13-2005, 11:03 AM
I've been taking the train to games for a while now and even yesterday when I saw the park I smiled like a kid in a candy store.

kj.hayes
05-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Transfer at Jackson--it's newly renovated, very bright and clean. The Washington station resembles a dark, scary dungeon. When you step out of your blue line train, follow the overhead signs to the stairs that take you down into the tunnel that lead you back up to the Red Line. You certainly won't be the only Sox fans traveling the CTA, so just follow the herd and you'll be alright. The view of the skyline looking north from the 35th Street CTA station is one of the best in the city.

mweflen
05-13-2005, 11:18 AM
People - there is no transfer at Monroe! It's the stop I take home from work every day. No Transfer!

rdivaldi
05-13-2005, 11:21 AM
One good option if you live near a Metra station is to take Metra to NW or Union Station and then take the Green Line down to Bronzeville/IIT/35th street. The Green Line is right next to Northwestern Station.

Good point elrod. More suburbanites need to get over their fear of the Green Line. Now that all of the projects have been bulldozed, that route is a great option.

wdelaney72
05-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Thanks everyone. My son is just under 5 and thinks bridges and tunnels are the coolest things. He'll be excited to ride the train.

Fenway
05-13-2005, 02:49 PM
By Northern you mean Northwest? Because if it's North Shore then just go to the Purple Line in Evanson, which runs express to Belmont. Then take the Red Line to 35th.

Not on Sunday Purple just runs local in Evanston

Also don't try to transfer at Lake for the Red as it is CLOSED on weekends as they are making it like Jackson ( I know way too much about Chicago's L)

Ol' No. 2
05-13-2005, 03:09 PM
I'm taking my son to the game on Sunday and thought I would avoid traffic and the parking fee by taking the red line. Problem is, I live in the Northern suburbs. I know I can catch the blue line at Cumberland and transfer somewhere downtown, but I don't know which station to use. It looks like there's transfers at Washington, Monroe, and Jackson. Does it matter which one I use?You can also catch the blue line at River Road. Plenty of parking there, too.

DSpivack
05-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Not on Sunday Purple just runs local in Evanston

Also don't try to transfer at Lake for the Red as it is CLOSED on weekends as they are making it like Jackson ( I know way too much about Chicago's L)

Then just take the purple to Howard and the Red from there.

It takes about 50 minutes to get from Howard to 35th/Sox.

I do it for nearly every game I go to.

StillMissOzzie
05-13-2005, 03:31 PM
no, Jackson I would say is the best. Good choice on parking at Cumberland and taking the blue line, I think it is 1.75 to park there

I can also vouch for the Jackson tunnel being new, shiny, and brightly lit. I don't know about the other one at Washington because I usually take the Blue line from Forest Park. However, the parking fee has been jacked up to $3.00 - at least it is in Forest Park and the Rosemont parking lots. I suggest having the $3.00 in quarters, too. And don't forget to load up your transit card for the round trip, it will save a lot of time on the trip home.

SMO
:gulp:

hose
05-13-2005, 03:47 PM
I can also vouch for the Jackson tunnel being new, shiny, and brightly lit. I don't know about the other one at Washington because I usually take the Blue line from Forest Park. However, the parking fee has been jacked up to $3.00 - at least it is in Forest Park and the Rosemont parking lots. I suggest having the $3.00 in quarters, too. And don't forget to load up your transit card for the round trip, it will save a lot of time on the trip home.

SMO
:gulp:

Good point about having plenty of change for the parking box and for the ticket machine.

There probably wont be an attendant available for purchasing a ticket.

DumpJerry
05-13-2005, 04:21 PM
People - there is no transfer at Monroe! It's the stop I take home from work every day. No Transfer!
So true. Not sure what Hanger was talking about. Washington and Jackson are the ONLY transfer points.

Another option is to park in Chinatown and grab the Red Line at Chinatown/Cermak for one stop to Sox-35th.

BTW, don't you love it how the CTA Red Line has stops named "Sox-35th" and "Addison" next to ballparks? Are they Sox fans in the Station Naming Department over there?:D:

na_na_na_na
05-13-2005, 04:29 PM
Transfer at Jackson it is two stops after washington and one after monroe. It has a very clean tunnel and is generally well light and "nice" unlike washington which is the pits. I commute everyday from bridgeport to the blueline cumberland stop the ride takes about 55minutes.

mrwaffle
05-13-2005, 04:36 PM
I would also recommend that if you are to take the Red Line you should transfer at Jackson, and not at Washington. However, if you were to take the Green Line then you would want to transfer at Clark/Lake. Of all the parking possibilities I would say to park at Cumberland, it is the easiest to get in and out of and costs only $2 to park as opposed to the $3 it costs elsewhere.