PDA

View Full Version : Pierzynski Bashes Chicago Media yesterday

Hangar18
05-13-2005, 10:59 AM
AJ Pierzynski was a guest on the Mac, Jurko & Harry show yesterday as a call-in. The hosts were all glad to have him and were gushing about the SOX red-hot record setting start. AJ was gracious, but then immediately asked, "which one of you started that rumor that I got into a fight with Ed Farmer?"
he was joking, but I could tell it was bugging him, and wanted to set the record straight right then and there. M & J said it was Harry, and laughed,
Harry then reiterated that he was quoting something from the Carmen and Silvy show. Aj then said OK, he wasnt sure who started it, and wanted to set the record straight (Farmer asked him about his foot, and AJ sarcastically replied but jokingly, another reporter took it as dissension in clubhouse etc)

MJ&H then continued talking about the SOX, and AJ was in the clubhouse
and you could hear pre-game commotion in the background, and he stopped
them mid sentence and said ......."whoa wait, whats with all these reporters here?" He then said " Whats with all the attention all of a sudden, what..
the Cubs must not be playing today??" Very Sarcastically and Pointedly
acknowledging something I and other SOX fans have realized for years.
AJ has been in Chicago for 6 weeks, and already realizes that the fuzzy blue corporation 8 miles north gets way too much UNDESERVED attention.

It was funny to hear MJ& H all laugh nervously with AJ after that comment.
Good Job AJ!

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2005, 11:04 AM
If anyone happens to have an audio recording of that, I for one would LOVE to hear it. Sounds like some classic audio.

AJ may not be the best defensive catcher since Ron Karkovice, and although Cooper has as much (if not more) to do with the Sox pitching success this year, already AJ seems like a good player (HR last night, clearly played some kind of role in Garland's great performance) and great clubhouse guy and teammate. I'm glad he's on our side now.

1951Campbell
05-13-2005, 11:05 AM
He then said " Whats with all the attention all of a sudden, what.. the Cubs must not be playing today??" Very Sarcastically and Pointedly
AJ has been in Chicago for 6 weeks, and already realizes that the fuzzy blue corporation 8 miles north gets way too much UNDESERVED attention.

Hopefully this October, before a playoff game, AJ will say "and today's attendance at Wrigley Field: 0."

Good on ya, AJ.

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Hopefully this October, before a playoff game, AJ will say "and today's attendance at Wrigley Field: 0."

Good on ya, AJ.

:supernana:

elrod
05-13-2005, 11:10 AM
It was a great interview. AJ had them all nervous. He seems like a guy you don't want to be on his bad side. MJ&H were also trying to joke about how AJ has feelings because he, too, is a good friend of La Troy Hawkins (reference to Mientkiewicz's feeling guilty about homering off him). I still can't figure out what the beef is with AJ from San Francisco. Obviously Hermanson had no problem with him.

DaleJRFan
05-13-2005, 11:15 AM
It was a great interview. AJ had them all nervous. He seems like a guy you don't want to be on his bad side. MJ&H were also trying to joke about how AJ has feelings because he, too, is a good friend of La Troy Hawkins (reference to Mientkiewicz's feeling guilty about homering off him). I still can't figure out what the beef is with AJ from San Francisco. Obviously Hermanson had no problem with him.

I am guessing he took a lot money from the guys he played cards with.

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2005, 11:20 AM
I am guessing he took a lot money from the guys he played cards with.

There's probably more truth to that than we even realize. Maybe he talked smack to the other card players and thereby distracted them. It's hard to bluff when your're distracted....

cubsuck
05-13-2005, 11:22 AM
......."whoa wait, whats with all these reporters here?" He then said " Whats with all the attention all of a sudden, what..
the Cubs must not be playing today??"

Probably the best quote I've heard from a Sox player this year!

SOUR SOX PLAYERS...gotta love it!

Bobbo35
05-13-2005, 11:31 AM
AJ Pierzynski was a guest on the Mac, Jurko & Harry show yesterday as a call-in. The hosts were all glad to have him and were gushing about the SOX red-hot record setting start. AJ was gracious, but then immediately asked, "which one of you started that rumor that I got into a fight with Ed Farmer?"
he was joking, but I could tell it was bugging him, and wanted to set the record straight right then and there. M & J said it was Harry, and laughed,
Harry then reiterated that he was quoting something from the Carmen and Silvy show. Aj then said OK, he wasnt sure who started it, and wanted to set the record straight (Farmer asked him about his foot, and AJ sarcastically replied but jokingly, another reporter took it as dissension in clubhouse etc)

MJ&H then continued talking about the SOX, and AJ was in the clubhouse
and you could hear pre-game commotion in the background, and he stopped
them mid sentence and said ......."whoa wait, whats with all these reporters here?" He then said " Whats with all the attention all of a sudden, what..
the Cubs must not be playing today??" Very Sarcastically and Pointedly

It was funny to hear MJ& H all laugh nervously with AJ after that comment.
Good Job AJ!

Awesome!

skottyj242
05-13-2005, 11:34 AM
That's freaking hilarious....welcome to the southside AJ.

LVSoxFan
05-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Hmm. The Sox seem to be getting plenty of coverage to me; I read the Sun-Times and Trib every day. And all the local newscasts talk 'em up.

Of course the Cubs are always topic #1, but it's always been that way and always will. Chicago's a Cubs town--they're the mass-market team.

I like to say: they're the Beatles, we're the Stones. Depends on what you want.

Okay Stones before they became a decrepit oldies act for the last 20 years.

Trust me, as the Cubs slide and if the Sox can maintain, the coverage will shift--it has to. What, is the Trib gonna devote itself to the losing team for the whole season?

Plus, next week comes the big series. If we crush them (pray), I think that's gonna swing a lot of heads this way. Already I'm sensing a lot of casual Cub fans on the North side starting to watch the Sox.

Along with all this, though, comes the "Be careful what you wish for" warning... more people, more coverage... I dread some bandwagon jumper buying our playoff tickets for him and his Lincoln Park buddies while I get shut out.

Ugh.

DaveIsHere
05-13-2005, 11:40 AM
I've noticed a lot of Cub fans in the office eiother refuse to talk Sox, or always coming up to me and saying good things about them.

MeanFish
05-13-2005, 11:40 AM
What, is the Trib gonna devote itself to the losing team for the whole season?

Never underestimate the power of stupidity or, for that matter, the Chicago media.

jeremydavid
05-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Our sucuess kills hardcore Cubbie fans newly minted or not.

Palehose13
05-13-2005, 12:02 PM
I was skeptical when there was talk about signing him, but now...I loooooove AJ!

Tekijawa
05-13-2005, 12:06 PM

Good on ya, AJ.

And then knee a reporter in the nuts!

Goose
05-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Never underestimate the power of stupidity or, for that matter, the Chicago media.

Aren't these redundantly the same?

gosox83
05-13-2005, 12:27 PM
I knew right away at Soxfest he was going to be great for this team..For example when Farmer brought up Tori Hunter running over Jamie Burke last year, A.J. did not beat arount the bush and give a politically correct answer. He said, "Tori Hunter can Bring It On!"

He seemed to me like a Die hard Sox fan and hadn't even played a single game.

Plus he was joking around how he wanted to have a Foot race with Paul Konerko for a bet and the money would go to charity. It was hilarious :smile:

kj.hayes
05-13-2005, 12:38 PM
What, is the Trib gonna devote itself to the losing team for the whole season?

Don't they always?

DumpJerry
05-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Hmm. The Sox seem to be getting plenty of coverage to me; I read the Sun-Times and Trib every day. And all the local newscasts talk 'em up.

Of course the Cubs are always topic #1, but it's always been that way and always will. Chicago's a Cubs town--they're the mass-market team.
When the Flubs won two in a row recently, the media reacted as if they had won the World Series. They were the lead sports story and the reporters were gushing with pride. You'd think the Sox were struggling to remain in second place in a weak division.....Barf.:angry:

bayzbol44
05-13-2005, 01:14 PM
AJ is pretty funny. Great to see he is enjoying himself on the South Side. I did not hear him on the radio. However, since I read about it now, I am going to go and buy his shirt at Grandstand on Monday.

MeanFish
05-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Aren't these redundantly the same?

Duly Noted.

Never underestimate the power of stupidity.

*pops Snatch into DVD player*