PDA

View Full Version : Cubine's Eastern Bureau on the Sox

Mark
05-13-2005, 09:51 AM
Here's a fairly big story from NY Newsday on White Sox fans:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-spsox134257143may13,0,2540997.story?coll=ny-baseball-headlines

FanofBill
05-13-2005, 09:53 AM
Here is a good one:

Pale by comparison
Why fans of Chicago’s ‘other’ team have trouble dealing with Sox-cess
http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spsox134257143may13,0,2124920.story?coll=ny-sports-print

and

Hey, these guys look very familiar
http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-sppitch134257144may13,0,2505428.story?coll=ny-sports-print

FanofBill
05-13-2005, 10:00 AM
Oops, didn't see the other thread until now.

MIgrenade
05-13-2005, 10:03 AM
Feels backhanded. I don't know what exactly makes it that way, but I assume it is.

DaleJRFan
05-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Who cares. It's been a really long time, that's all we need to know.

elrod
05-13-2005, 10:07 AM
I'm not surprised by the laudatory praise in Newsday. Contrary to what most people around here think, the New York media does a pretty good job covering baseball. For one thing, nobody there has any respect or admiration for the Cubs or Wrigley Field. Mets fans despise the Cubs as a matter of course. And Yankee fans see absolutely no charm in losing. The worst baseball media in America is right here in Chicago.

mikehuff
05-13-2005, 10:14 AM
I liked the artcle. It seemed very fair and accurate to me except one thing...

"They're angry about the stadium. Don't like the stadium."

As far as I know, Sox fans generally do like the stadium. I think it's outstanding. For some reason the myth about this being a terrible park keeps growing even though the park keeps getting better. And I think it was great in the first place.

irish rover
05-13-2005, 10:15 AM
I agree

MeanFish
05-13-2005, 10:17 AM
I absolutely loved the article, and thought it was spot-on. Except for the part about not liking the stadium of course. But I'll let it slide; this isn't Chicago media we're talking about. They don't necessarily know any better.

Irishsox1
05-13-2005, 10:18 AM
I thought that it was a great article that sums up what it's like to be a die-hard White Sox fan.

As for the stadium, I am not in love with the new stadium. It still needs a lot work to be done, but just in appearance. There is nothing that can be done about the stupid club level or the skyboxes that don't have outdoor seating.

Iwritecode
05-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Here is a good one:

Pale by comparison
Why fans of Chicago’s ‘other’ team have trouble dealing with Sox-cess
http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spsox134257143may13,0,2124920.story?coll=ny-sports-print

That was an awesome article with some great quotes. That guy deserves a flooded email inbox.

Hey, if we can do it when we hate the article, then we should be able to when we find the rare good one. :cool:

tebman
05-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Feels backhanded. I don't know what exactly makes it that way, but I assume it is.
Maybe it's because the writer had no axe to grind either way and examined the Sox and us like an anthropologist. There was a tone of curiosity in the story, kind of like those Nature programs where exotic animals are followed around by a celebrity host: "Isn't that interesting? The macauqe peels the fruit from the bottom -- I wonder why they do that?"

From the article:
"Descended from laborers from the slaughterhouses, stockyards and steel mills, despairing of gentrification, loathing MBAs skipping work smugly at Wrigley, the White Sox's South Side neighborhood, whose name, Bridgeport, you probably don't know, has a legacy of insularity. The interlopers include Jerry Reinsdorf, owner, Chicago White Sox, still blamed in a labor-supportive neighborhood for the 1994 strike that curtailed a season in which the White Sox occupied, as you may or may not know, first place."

Sounds like an audio tour through the zoo. :rolleyes:

elrod
05-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Maybe it's because the writer had no axe to grind either way and examined the Sox and us like an anthropologist. There was a tone of curiosity in the story, kind of like those Nature programs where exotic animals are followed around by a celebrity host: "Isn't that interesting? The macauqe peels the fruit from the bottom -- I wonder why they do that?"

From the article:
"Descended from laborers from the slaughterhouses, stockyards and steel mills, despairing of gentrification, loathing MBAs skipping work smugly at Wrigley, the White Sox's South Side neighborhood, whose name, Bridgeport, you probably don't know, has a legacy of insularity. The interlopers include Jerry Reinsdorf, owner, Chicago White Sox, still blamed in a labor-supportive neighborhood for the 1994 strike that curtailed a season in which the White Sox occupied, as you may or may not know, first place."

Sounds like an audio tour through the zoo. :rolleyes:

Good to see some reference to the proud working class, organized labor history of the South Side.

MeanFish
The macauqe peels the fruit from the bottom -- I wonder why they do that?"

:roflmao:That just killed me.

irish rover
best quote

People, ever mysterious, might bristle that you don't know about the White Sox while relishing that you don't know about the White Sox. "I kind of wear it as a badge of honor that I'm not a lemming,"

Shift
05-13-2005, 10:32 AM
Overall, I thought it was pretty good. Is there any doubt that we are a cynical, pessimistic bunch? And the contrast he drew between Red Sox and Cubs fans, who seem to revel in losing, and White Sox fans, who despise it, was perfect.

Sox fans came off looking like people who passionately love their team and hate the fact that we have seen little success.

Unbelievable that a story on Sox fans has to come out of NY. Nice job, Trib.

brewcrew/chisox
05-13-2005, 10:37 AM
"Consider Donaghue's attempt to start a bar in the early 1990s, shortly after new Comiskey construction razed two quietly legendary old bars. He bought an old muffler factory. He and fellow investors filled out forests of paperwork. They invested roughly $40,000.

Finally, when Donaghue went to court for his liquor license, the otherwise friendly judge ruled the bar would have a "deleterious" effect on the neighborhood. "Deleterious?" he said. "It's an abandoned building!"

Months later, he got a letter from the city accusing him of serving minors in a bar that did not exist in a building he no longer owned. He took it as a peculiar sort of warning."

Wow! This city sometimes is just crazy. Is there anyone here familiar with this situation? Is the account pretty accurate? I guess you just don't mess with Bridgeport.

irish rover
05-13-2005, 10:40 AM
I used to live in Bridgeport. It is the neighborhood. They don't want it. Back in the 70's and 80's when Comisk was considered the largest outdoor tavern there were alot of problems, like the ones the people in Wrigleyville are now experiencing. Bridgeport is more a traditional family type place with single family homes. They like to keep it quiet

brewcrew/chisox
05-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Makes sense; I play 16 inch at a park in Wrigleyville, and I see a lot of these clowns stumbling back after games. Total disrespect for the neighborhood.

Iwritecode
05-13-2005, 10:53 AM

As far as I know, Sox fans generally do like the stadium. I think it's outstanding. For some reason the myth about this being a terrible park keeps growing even though the park keeps getting better. And I think it was great in the first place.

Most Sox fans will defend it to the death against just about anyone but get a group of them together and (until recently) you'll get at least 1 complaining about the color of the seats or the upper deck.

cheeses_h_rice
05-13-2005, 10:55 AM
Good article that showed a solid grasp of Sox fan dynamics.

My only question: when was Ron Kittle on the Yankees?

MeanFish
05-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Most Sox fans will defend it to the death against just about anyone but get a group of them together and (until recently) you'll get at least 1 complaining about the color of the seats or the upper deck.

I've found Cubs fans to be similar in that respect. Against us, Wrigley is infallible. In a group, however, at least one will talk about how they really need a new stadium.

tebman
05-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Good article that showed a solid grasp of Sox fan dynamics.

My only question: when was Ron Kittle on the Yankees?
He was traded to New York by Hawk Harrelson during his peculiar tenure as Sox GM. He finished the season with George's Boys and was traded to the Indians in '87.

edit: Actually he wasn't traded, but released by the yankers at the end of the '87 season and signed with Cleveland as a FA for the '88 season.

Here's the detailed story (from baseball-reference.com):

July 30, 1986: Traded by the Chicago White Sox (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1986.shtml) with Joel Skinner (http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/skinnjo01.shtml) and Wayne Tolleson (http://www.baseball-reference.com/t/tollewa01.shtml) to the New York Yankees (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/1986.shtml) for a player to be named later, Ron Hassey (http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/hassero01.shtml), and Carlos Martinez (http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/martica02.shtml). The New York Yankees (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/1986.shtml) sent Bill Lindsey (http://www.baseball-reference.com/l/lindsbi02.shtml) (December 24, 1986) to the Chicago White Sox (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1986.shtml) to complete the trade.

2005gosoxgo
05-13-2005, 12:12 PM
In Fridays sports section of the N.Y. Newsday, there is an excellent two and a half page article on our beloved Sox. As a New York City resident, It filled me with joy reading it. The article dealt with our past and how actually good our records have been over the last 25 years compared to the Cubs. They stated how the Cubs receive unfair media attention compared to us... A truly pleasant read...
I dont post much, but I thought everyone here would enjoy it that the South Side success story is being printed in a major market....
Ive been a Sox fan since 1989 living in the apple and I'm as proud as ever to wear Sox gear where ever i tread....

GO SOX!!! Im fling out to chitown for a week in August to catch some games, I'd like to meet a bunch of you guys if its possible, I'm on this site every day for the newest info...

mikehuff
05-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Aleady posted under "Cubine's Eastern Bureau on the Sox (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50062)"

pssondacubs
05-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Great article....I for one, enjoy going to watch the Sox in the new park. I brag to Scrub fans about the time I was at a game in the upper deck behind home plate and it was raining. The fan sitting in front of us had an umbrella up and I could still see the game with no problem.
Although, when they had a chance to move and build in the suburbs I was surprised they didn't.

Lip Man 1
05-13-2005, 12:23 PM
I know Pete (bar owner in story) and the story is true.

Lip

maurice
05-13-2005, 12:58 PM
I absolutely loved the article, and thought it was spot-on. Except for the part about not liking the stadium of course.

And the following quote:
We walked out to go get a beer, and we had to take a cab to Chinatown!

Right, 'cause there are no bars between 35th St. and 24th St., but LOTS of great bars in Chinatown.

:kukoo:

Otherwise, a very nice article.

JoseCanseco6969
05-13-2005, 01:01 PM
"Consider Donaghue's attempt to start a bar in the early 1990s, shortly after new Comiskey construction razed two quietly legendary old bars. He bought an old muffler factory. He and fellow investors filled out forests of paperwork. They invested roughly $40,000.

Finally, when Donaghue went to court for his liquor license, the otherwise friendly judge ruled the bar would have a "deleterious" effect on the neighborhood. "Deleterious?" he said. "It's an abandoned building!"

Months later, he got a letter from the city accusing him of serving minors in a bar that did not exist in a building he no longer owned. He took it as a peculiar sort of warning."

Wow! This city sometimes is just crazy. Is there anyone here familiar with this situation? Is the account pretty accurate? I guess you just don't mess with Bridgeport.

It just sucks that the city is so anal about making sure nothing is built.

I think we should have at least one big bar near the stadium.
Maybe have it owned by the sox. Yes i know they have the bullpen sports bar..but this would definitely create more revenue for the sox and attract more fans to the games. Granted some or most of these fans might be drunken fools. Also, it would make it more attractive to the females as well. I know many of my female friends who casually like baseball and the cubs just love the idea of going to a packed bar before a game and blah blah. I know this has been beaten to death over the years here..but it just is something that makes perfect sense to me.

Another thing...most stadiums have a huge display with the name of their stadium that visitors of the park take a picture by. I particularly like the huge jacobs field sign. I always wondered why the sox went with a simple barely noticable entrance to their stadium. just some thoughts

mjharrison72
05-13-2005, 01:33 PM
best quote

People, ever mysterious, might bristle that you don't know about the White Sox while relishing that you don't know about the White Sox. "I kind of wear it as a badge of honor that I'm not a lemming,"
I, too, thought this was the highlight... so true.
I really liked the article, and will try to drop the guy an e-mail telling him so.
-M

mikehuff
05-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Another thing...most stadiums have a huge display with the name of their stadium that visitors of the park take a picture by. I particularly like the huge jacobs field sign. I always wondered why the sox went with a simple barely noticable entrance to their stadium. just some thoughts

I don't know about that. I think the front entrance looks real nice (by the flagpoles.) I was at the Metrodome for the first time this season and you want to talk about a place where there's nothing to take a pitcture of outside... Inside, bseides being a dome, there's nothing really that bad about it. It's just kind of boring. But, outside it's just plain ugly.

ondafarm
05-13-2005, 01:51 PM
Good to see some reference to the proud working class, organized labor history of the South Side.

. . . and their descendants, who've retained Sox fan status, even though forced to live in enemy territory.

FJA
05-13-2005, 02:04 PM

Keep in mind, this was not the writer's quote - it's from Lindberg.

Great story. I love it how this writer points out that we have no need for a "look-at-me" curse.

NWSox
05-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Great article. He really seems to understand the lunacy in this town about the Cubs. The writer, Chuck Culpepper, used to be the lead sports columnist for the Oregonian (our one local paper). He was great to read when he was here, but as with most quality writers, they want to leave for the bigger markets.