PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Ready to Return

RKMeibalane
05-13-2005, 03:20 AM
Link (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=48434)

MIgrenade
05-13-2005, 05:35 AM
As long as he can drive Pods and Iguchi home I don't care if he can run.

The Racehorse
05-13-2005, 06:32 AM
ďRunning pretty isnít going to happen right now, but running station to station and being able to score on a single, stuff like that, I feel Iím ready to try it,Ē Thomas said. ďBreaking from the base, breaking back, thatís the real stuff Iíve got to get comfortable with. Once Iím ready, I hope Iím back as soon as possible.

ďThereís no rush. I want to be healthy because if I come back too soon, it could end my career and I donít want to do that.Ē

Thomas is hardly insulted that a player of his stature will be going back to play in the minor leagues. Thomas hasnít appeared in a minor-league game since 1990.

ďI donít feel Iím too good to go down there,Ē Thomas said. ďItís a good thing for me. Iím not ready to be back in the big leagues.Ē

Couple of quick hits;

1. If Frank can't move laterally or cut, then he needs more time... anyone who thinks Frank DH'ing will allow him to only run in a straight line is sorely mistaken.

2. Wouldn't it be nice for the Chicago media to contrast Frank's comments about minor-league rehab to Jason Giambi's reluctance to take a demotion? All the they'd have to do is consult their notes where they blasted Giambi for his 'roided grubby hands ripping Franks 2000 AL MVP award.

Jurr
05-13-2005, 06:34 AM
I'm right there with you. They should do that report...blast Giambi's ass...make amends for the 2000 MVP debacle.

mikehuff
05-13-2005, 12:05 PM
- side note - The article mentions that the Sox released the minor leaguers who were busted for steroids. Good.

Farmhands busted: Two White Sox prospects and a former prospect were among the 11 minor-leaguers suspended for 15 games by Major League Baseball on Thursday for testing positive for performance-enhancing substances.
Suspended were Jorge Toca, Robert Valido and Tetsu Yofu, who has been released by the White Sox.

Randar68
05-13-2005, 12:08 PM
- side note - The article mentions that the Sox released the minor leaguers who were busted for steroids. Good.

Farmhands busted: Two White Sox prospects and a former prospect were among the 11 minor-leaguers suspended for 15 games by Major League Baseball on Thursday for testing positive for performance-enhancing substances.
Suspended were Jorge Toca, Robert Valido and Tetsu Yofu, who has been released by the White Sox.

Only Yofu was released. Settle down, Cleotus. And for the rest of the simple-minded folk out there, they test for a lot more than steroids, which are just a small subset of the "banned substances".

However, if the ingorant masses want to hang everyone in effigy at first sight, help yourselves, but you're still ignorant masses.

"good?" Valido is the best SS prospect in the organization. "good?" :rolleyes:

daveeym
05-13-2005, 12:08 PM

Suspended were Jorge Toca, Robert Valido and Tetsu Yofu, who has been released by the White Sox. Yofu was the only one released and he was released before the results were announced.

mikehuff
05-13-2005, 12:29 PM
Only Yofu was released. Settle down, Cleotus. And for the rest of the simple-minded folk out there, they test for a lot more than steroids, which are just a small subset of the "banned substances".

However, if the ingorant masses want to hang everyone in effigy at first sight, help yourselves, but you're still ignorant masses.

"good?" Valido is the best SS prospect in the organization. "good?" :rolleyes:

Ok, I didn't catch that Yofu was the only one.
As for "good" - yes that's what I meant. Assuming these guys were caught using steroids, then good. I don't want those guys. Bonds is a good steroid user, I don't like him, Giambi was, Sheffield... I don't care if they're good. I don't want cheaters. Again, assuming this was for steroid use.

Chisox003
05-13-2005, 12:35 PM
The fact that he is going to be stricly a station to station baserunner is rather scary...

Not that he wasn't that before, but when healthy, he could still run to the point of stretching a hard hit ball into the gap into a double, something he might not be able to do now...

This team is clearly built around the opposite of station to station baserunning....Stealing, sacrificing, tagging, advancing on a throw etc.

If Frank cant do these yet, as much as I HATE to say this, he could hurt this team if he comes back too early

I really hope he gets going soon...I cant wait to see him back

Randar68
05-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Ok, I didn't catch that Yofu was the only one.
As for "good" - yes that's what I meant. Assuming these guys were caught using steroids, then good. I don't want those guys. Bonds is a good steroid user, I don't like him, Giambi was, Sheffield... I don't care if they're good. I don't want cheaters. Again, assuming this was for steroid use.

what are the first three letters of "assume"?

You can't assume anything. Like I said, "steroids" are just a small segment of the "banned substances" and the exact substance will not be released. There is no need for sympathy, these kids made mistakes, whatever it is they took...

If they get caught again? That's another story. If they didn't learn from the first mistake or are deliberately breaking the rules, there's little to say. Again, even in the future, players may ask the organization about certain substances and they may be told it is "ok", only to turn up a positive test later.

My point is, you can't fly off the handle and paint everyone with an equal broad stroke. It isn't pretty, but like I said, it's going to be a long list of players when they release the results from the teams who camped in Florida. All the minor league announcements thus far have come out of the Arizona testing...

mikehuff
05-13-2005, 01:48 PM
The fact that he is going to be stricly a station to station baserunner is rather scary...

Not that he wasn't that before, but when healthy, he could still run to the point of stretching a hard hit ball into the gap into a double, something he might not be able to do now...

This team is clearly built around the opposite of station to station baserunning....Stealing, sacrificing, tagging, advancing on a throw etc.

If Frank cant do these yet, as much as I HATE to say this, he could hurt this team if he comes back too early

You have a good point, but at least having a guy on base is better than having a guy go right back to the bench after an at bat as Dye has been doing. Don't forget that we are counting on Frank's homerun abilities too. Also, with Podsenik and/or Iguchi on base in front of him, all we need is a big hit to get those guys in. The good part is that he won't be clogging up the bases in front of those guys.

Randar68
05-13-2005, 01:49 PM

And Frank on one leg is worse than Konerko batting 4th? come on...

RKMeibalane
05-13-2005, 01:52 PM
And Frank on one leg is worse than Konerko batting 4th? come on...

I agree. I'd rather see Frank play station-to-station baseball than watch this team scrape out three runs every night. Thomas brings so much to the Sox offense, even when he's not swinging the bat well. I'm hoping he'll be ready for the roadtrip to Anaheim and Texas. It would nice to have him availible, as the Sox can't seen to be able to shake their West Coast problems.

jeremydavid
05-13-2005, 02:13 PM
Everyone will forget this talk when he is back in the offense. It's not like it can get much worse.

RKMeibalane
05-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Everyone will forget this talk when he is back in the offense. It's not like it can get much worse.

No, it could get worse if Borchard were around.

Randar68
05-13-2005, 02:20 PM

In place of Dye and his .190 average? You really think they'd have produced very differently up until this point?

gosox41
05-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Link (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=48434)

It's all lies. Bruce 'Vine Line' Levine himself said last weekend that Frank won't be back unitl the end of July.

Keep drinking that Cub Kool-Aid Brucie.

Bob

RKMeibalane
05-13-2005, 02:58 PM
In place of Dye and his .190 average? You really think they'd have produced very differently up until this point?

Borchard might be able to break .190 if he were taking steroids. At last report, his average was hovering around .200 at Charlotte.

gobears1987
05-13-2005, 03:21 PM
I'd want Borch in there more than I want Dye in there. LTP would be an improvement in right over Jermaine.

Ol' No. 2
05-13-2005, 03:24 PM
I'd want Borch in there more than I want Dye in there. LTP would be an improvement in right over Jermaine.That's positively ridiculous. Borchard has never come close to Dye's sparkling .190 BA.:o:

And I'd put a lot more money on Dye to improve on that than Borchard.

gobears1987
05-13-2005, 03:29 PM
That's positively ridiculous. Borchard has never come close to Dye's sparkling .190 BA.:o:

And I'd put a lot more money on Dye to improve on that than Borchard.
I'm not talking about BA only here. Borch can crush the ball. He will get far more HRs than Dye. I know that HRs aren't the only part of an offense, but when both are below the Mendoza line I favor the one with power. Remember Borch was killing the ball this spring.

Ol' No. 2
05-13-2005, 03:36 PM
I'm not talking about BA only here. Borch can crush the ball. He will get far more HRs than Dye. I know that HRs aren't the only part of an offense, but when both are below the Mendoza line I favor the one with power. Remember Borch was killing the ball this spring.How's he doing lately in AAA?

105 AB, 17 H, 2 HR, 43 SO, .162 BA :o::o:

Yup, that's what we need all right.

RKMeibalane
05-13-2005, 03:43 PM
How's he doing lately in AAA?

105 AB, 17 H, 2 HR, 43 SO, .162 BA :o::o:

Yup, that's what we need all right.

He's averaging one strikeout every 2.44 at-bats. That's Rob Deer-esque.

buehrle4cy05
05-13-2005, 03:49 PM
How about this lineup:
C: A.J
1B: Konerko
2B: Iguchi
3B: Crede
SS: Uribe
LF: Pods
CF: Rowand
RF: Everett
DH: Thomas

I'm not confident about having Carl in the OF, whether it's CF or RF, but I think it COULD benefit the team. It also could screw up the team. Or...

call up Brian Anderson. He has a much better MLB makeup than Joe Borchard.

Ol' No. 2
05-13-2005, 03:57 PM
He's averaging one strikeout every 2.44 at-bats. That's Rob Deer-esque.Worse.

Russel Branyan 2.44
Dave Nicholson 2.48
Rob Deer 2.75

RKMeibalane
05-13-2005, 03:58 PM
How about this lineup:
C: A.J
1B: Konerko
2B: Iguchi
3B: Crede
SS: Uribe
LF: Pods
CF: Rowand
RF: Everett
DH: Thomas

I'm not confident about having Carl in the OF, whether it's CF or RF, but I think it COULD benefit the team. It also could screw up the team. Or...

call up Brian Anderson. He has a much better MLB makeup than Joe Borchard.

That's more or less the lineup I'd imagined when thinking about how Frank would fit with this team.

The batting order would probably look something like this:

LF- Podsednik
2B- Iguchi
DH- Thomas
1B- Konerko
RF- Everett
CF- Rowand
C- Pierzynski
3B- Crede
SS- Uribe

tstrike2000
05-13-2005, 04:02 PM
http://www.mellody.co.za/michaela/palpatine/gallery/emperor03.jpg "Learn to know the dark side of the force and you'll achieve a power greater than any Jedi."
http://www.sportsmanagementworldwide.com/images/instructors/neyer.gif "Yes, my master."
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/4images/data/media/7/Hurt.jpg
"I'm gonna be back and appoint myself a Jedi to wipe out evil that disguises itself as ESPN and restore justice to the Force in the American League by leading us to the playoffs."