PDA

View Full Version : A possible reason for Garland's success (far-fetched)

chisoxfanatic
05-13-2005, 12:38 AM
This may be far-fetched, but I've been thinking about this for a while now. It seems like Buehrle and Garland like competing with each other (they even admitted to having a bet to see who can get a no-hitter first). From what I've seen so far this season, it seems like Garland is trying to "one-up" Buehrle every outing, and it's great!!! Nothing malicious, but merely friendly competition indeed.

Perhaps these two would be a great 1-2 punch if (HOPEFULLY) there are games in October after the Sox play Cleveland to finish off the regular season.

HomeFish
05-13-2005, 12:46 AM
Garcia should look into getting on this bet. He just doesn't seem motivated out there.

ilsox7
05-13-2005, 12:48 AM
Garcia should look into getting on this bet. He just doesn't seem motivated out there.

You are something else.

Irishsox1
05-13-2005, 12:48 AM
Garland fits more into the the Yogism: "Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical". The problems with Garland in that past were all between the ears.

chisoxfanatic
05-13-2005, 12:49 AM

As long as I'm not at the game when Garcia's out there, he does fine. In fact, like Buehrle (and now Garland), he CAN get out of jams unscathed.

HomeFish
05-13-2005, 12:56 AM
he CAN get out of jams unscathed.

I remember Garcia's first one-third of an inning with the White Sox. It was against the Twins at Minnesota. He started their leadoff man (Guzman, I believe) 3-0...and then promptly struck him out.

Garcia did that a lot last season. This season, that guy gets walked. That's the big difference I see in Garcia.

chisoxfanatic
05-13-2005, 01:05 AM
I remember Garcia's first one-third of an inning with the White Sox. It was against the Twins at Minnesota. He started their leadoff man (Guzman, I believe) 3-0...and then promptly struck him out.

Garcia did that a lot last season. This season, that guy gets walked. That's the big difference I see in Garcia.

To me, a jam is not being down in a batter count. A jam is RISP with less than 2 outs (mostly with more than one base runner). Garcia still can get out of those situations unscathed.

But, back to the talk about Garland...

MHOUSE
05-13-2005, 02:02 AM
I still say that Ozzie's influence has a lot to do with Jon's success. He may not have called out Jon individually, but he lit a fire under this team (unlike Jerry Manuel) and perhaps that carried into Jon's pitching. From the start (last season) Ozzie put faith in Garland as a veteran pitcher and gave him a much longer leash than Manuel ever did. Two years ago would Jon have pitched 7, 8, 9 innings almost every start? No way. He always got an early hook. Ozzie treated him like another starter and not a 23-year old baby (Jerry) and I think Jon is enough of a competitor and respected that and upped his game. He knew with JM he could half-ass and win double-digits and be productive, but Ozzie said you can do better and you will or else I'm not going to put that faith in you. That's the vibe I get. Anyways, go Jon and Garcia rocks too, he just got married though and love always leads to athletic slumps (i.e. Tiger Woods).

TDog
05-13-2005, 02:05 AM
Garland fits more into the the Yogism: "Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical". The problems with Garland in that past were all between the ears.

You've got to keep in mind that Yogi Berra didn't say half the things he said.

Jurr
05-13-2005, 05:17 AM
Garland never used to get into the late innings. It still boggles my mind to see the guy pitching and then look up at the scoreboard and see an 8. I'll tell you what...the guy is dealin' like Buehrle, though. Last night's game was over in 2 and a half hours. Good job, Jon!

MIgrenade
05-13-2005, 05:31 AM
Last night said a lot about Garland. He had a bit of a "rough" outing in Toronto but then came back with a gem against the best hitting in the league. That pitch to Tejada shows a pitcher with confidence. Last year he throws a fastball down the middle and runs start scoring. Huge difference.

Jurr
05-13-2005, 05:33 AM
Last night said a lot about Garland. He had a bit of a "rough" outing in Toronto but then came back with a gem against the best hitting in the league. That pitch to Tejada shows a pitcher with confidence. Last year he throws a fastball down the middle and runs start scoring. Huge difference.
His "rough outing" in Toronto looked to be a lack of focus. Young pitchers tend to do that when they've been handed an 8 run cushion. They just start trying to test batters to let them try and get themselves out. I'm pretty much convinced that if the Sox had trouble hitting that day, Garland would've been lights out most of the way.

Wsoxmike59
05-13-2005, 06:41 AM
I can't explain it, but I thought Jon would have a break out season when Ozzie slotted him down to the # 5 position in the rotation.

It seemed to have taken a lot of the pressure off of him, and he appears to be a more relaxed and even more confident pitcher than in years past.

Before the season started I was telling everybody at work, how deep the Sox rotation was going to be, case in point I said Garland is our # 5 guy.

This isn't Danny Wright or Felix Diaz we're throwing out there every 5th day. J.G. is going to get us a lot of Wins this year.

I said if Contreras and El Duque come through, the Sox are going to be tough to beat, we'll have 5 starters who give us a good chance to win a ballgame each and every day.

harwar
05-13-2005, 07:45 AM
From the start (last season) Ozzie put faith in Garland as a veteran pitcher and gave him a much longer leash than Manuel ever did. Two years ago would Jon have pitched 7, 8, 9 innings almost every start? No way. He always got an early hook. Ozzie treated him like another starter and not a 23-year old baby (Jerry) and I think Jon is enough of a competitor and respected that and upped his game. He knew with JM he could half-ass and win double-digits and be productive, but Ozzie said you can do better and you will or else I'm not going to put that faith in you.

I remember the first game last year that Ozzie left Jon out there and it was the first time that i saw him look like a man.
It was exactly what the kid needed.
I couldn't be happier that the breakout year i predict ever year is finally here.
Garland has a totally different mound presence than in the past,pitching inside,very aggressive.
I would be very surprised indeed if he didn't win 20 this year.
The competition between Mark & Jon can only enhance their performances.
The big 3 of the braves from the past decade(who were great friends,like Jon & Mark) used to have all kinds of side bets going between each other during the season,

Ol' No. 2
05-13-2005, 09:09 AM
You've got to keep in mind that Yogi Berra didn't say half the things he said.I recall him saying that, too.:tongue:

DaleJRFan
05-13-2005, 10:14 AM
The biggest difference that I have noticed has been his ability to get out of jams. Lastnight in the eighth he struck out arguably the best hitter in baseball with men on first and third. Last season or before he would have given up a two run double.

It seems to me that his velocity is up (2-seamer at 92 4-seamer up around 94) and that 2-seamer fastball has so much inward movement that when he locates it, he is unhittable. How many bats did he break with that pitch lastnight??? A lot.

Way to go, man.

skottyj242
05-13-2005, 10:50 AM
I still say that Ozzie's influence has a lot to do with Jon's success. He may not have called out Jon individually, but he lit a fire under this team (unlike Jerry Manuel) and perhaps that carried into Jon's pitching. From the start (last season) Ozzie put faith in Garland as a veteran pitcher and gave him a much longer leash than Manuel ever did. Two years ago would Jon have pitched 7, 8, 9 innings almost every start? No way. He always got an early hook. Ozzie treated him like another starter and not a 23-year old baby (Jerry) and I think Jon is enough of a competitor and respected that and upped his game. He knew with JM he could half-ass and win double-digits and be productive, but Ozzie said you can do better and you will or else I'm not going to put that faith in you. That's the vibe I get. Anyways, go Jon and Garcia rocks too, he just got married though and love always leads to athletic slumps (i.e. Tiger Woods).

Didn't young Eldrick just win the Masters? What slump?

DaleJRFan
05-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Didn't young Eldrick just win the Masters? What slump?

Even when Tiger was "slumping", he still remained the #1 player in the world. No one can touch him.

Chisox003
05-13-2005, 11:01 AM

TEAL is the color for sarcasm...Oh, you were serious?

I cant even take this guy seriously anymore!

Unbelievable :rolleyes: