PDA

View Full Version : How about that Octavio Dotel, Billy Beane?....

Tragg
05-12-2005, 11:20 PM
Beane was third man in in a 3 way trade last year - while the Astros were getting Beltran for Dotel, Billy Beane was getting Dotel for young players. He looks good on those printouts - decent WHIP number and all the rest; trouble is, if you actually watched him pitch and watch him close out ninth innings, you know without any doubt that he has an annoying tendency to throw the gopher pitch at just the wrong time.

Irishsox1
05-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Why is it that Dotel never blows a game against the White Sox and sucks against almost everyone else?

And, don't bother to question the genius that is Billie Bean.

White Sox Josh
05-12-2005, 11:26 PM
While I think that Beane is a very good GM let's face it, with the starting pitching they had the last couple years, you could throw a AAA lineup out there and still manage to be competitive.

TheOldRoman
05-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Why is it that Dotel never blows a game against the White Sox and sucks against almost everyone else?

And, don't bother to question the genius that is Billie Bean.
:tealpolice:

FarWestChicago
05-12-2005, 11:52 PM
While I think that Beane is a very good GM let's face it, with the starting pitching they had the last couple years, you could throw a AAA lineup out there and still manage to be competitive.Don't forget the syringe. How much of the "Moneyball" legacy was based on 'roids? Even A's fans out here are wondering at this point.

Jurr
05-13-2005, 06:32 AM
Dotel has a great On Base Percentage. That's why Beane loves him. Wait a minute.........

Oh...he's a pitcher. I guess he doesn't want to be tied with a great OBP. Sorry, Billy.

MIgrenade
05-13-2005, 07:10 AM
Stop this negative talk, Dotel is good and Billy Bean is a baseball genius and my personal savior.
~National Media (pick one)

Teal may not be necessary

veeter
05-13-2005, 08:48 AM
The scary thing is some guys on this site thought the Sox should trade for this bum.

Jerome
05-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Don't forget the syringe. How much of the "Moneyball" legacy was based on 'roids? Even A's fans out here are wondering at this point.

Actually the A's had that great season AFTER Giambi left as an FA. So unless it comes out that Billy Koch, Ray Durham, Barry Zito, and Miguel Tejada etc. were also using steroids...

As for suck ass Dotel, they have Eric Chavez, that's I guess why they traded Teahen (SP?) for him. Dotel at the time looked a hell of a lot better than Rhodes IMO. I mean, theres no defense for the bum this season, but Houston let Billy Wagner go because they believed in the guy. Sadly he just doesn't have it.

nodiggity59
05-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Beane's biggest blunder, the one that really sticks, was letting Tejada go. If you polled GMs around the league I bet not a one of them would take Chavez over Tejada. Tejada puts up the #s at a more premium position AND is an outstanding leader who rallies teamates AND isn't hurt much. Crosby's fine I guess but when he lost Tejada he lost a franchise player. Chavez is just a nice guy to have in the middle of your lineup.

As far as Dotel, you have to go back to the God awful Rhodes signing. Dotel wasn't a bad pick up, but BB really dug himself a hole with Rhodes. He atoned for it with the Kendall deal but now it looks like Kendall could be breaking down AND he still doesn't have a closer.

Any way you slice it, Oakland's in trouble and the only reason I value our win out there is cause we've sucked on the west coast the past few years. The A's are no longer a serious threat to make the playoffs, although I do like their rotation a bit.

Flight #24
05-13-2005, 04:14 PM
As far as Dotel, you have to go back to the God awful Rhodes signing. Dotel wasn't a bad pick up, but BB really dug himself a hole with Rhodes. He atoned for it with the Kendall deal but now it looks like Kendall could be breaking down AND he still doesn't have a closer.

Yes, AND Kendall still has a bunch of time/money left, which is not good for an A's-size payroll.

Then there's trading 2 stud pitchers for a)a struggling but young MLB pitcher, b)a struggling, now injured minor league pitcher, c)a bunch of mediocre relief arms and backup OFs, and d)a good A-ball hitter.

The genius of this man has no end!!!

FarWestChicago
05-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Actually the A's had that great season AFTER Giambi left as an FA. So unless it comes out that Billy Koch, Ray Durham, Barry Zito, and Miguel Tejada etc. were also using steroids...What does Giambi have to do with the current team? Many out here believe the fall off in performance may have to do with the rampant use of 'roids by most of the A's in the past. Think about it, that's one way to get a lot of production for your "money". :D:

Flight #24
05-13-2005, 04:37 PM
What does Giambi have to do with the current team? Many out here believe the fall off in performance may have to do with the rampant use of 'roids by most of the A's in the past. Think about it, that's one way to get a lot of production for your "money". :D:

You just can't beat MONEYBALcoL

:redneck