PDA

View Full Version : Garland an All Star?

Frater Perdurabo
05-12-2005, 10:34 PM
Seems to me Garland has to be a favorite to earn a spot on the All Star team. In fact, as of right now he has to be the favorite to start the All Star game. Discuss.

NDSox12
05-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Seems to me Garland has to be a favorite to earn a spot on the All Star team. In fact, as of right now he has to be the favorite to start the All Star game. Discuss.

Nah... he just doesn't have the numbers to deserve a spot.

soxwon
05-12-2005, 10:37 PM

ive heard if he keeps it up.
he will propably oppose Dontrelle Willis as starting pitchers.

two former cubs, who were expendable lol

Chisox353014
05-12-2005, 10:41 PM
ive heard if he keeps it up.
he will propably oppose Dontrelle Willis as starting pitchers.

two former cubs, who were expendable lol

But...but...They Got WOOD!!

They also got Matt Karchner...MUHAHAHAHA :bandance:

gobears1987
05-12-2005, 10:41 PM
But...but...They Got WOOD!!

They also got Matt Karchner...MUHAHAHAHA :bandance:
and he's made of balsa

kevingrt
05-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Nah... he just doesn't have the numbers to deserve a spot.

No dude, it's because the national media hates us so Terry Francona won't bring any "other" Sox on his team... Johan is gonna get the start agian

elrod
05-12-2005, 10:52 PM
Hard to argue with 7-0 and 2.39ERA.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Fifth starters don't qualify for the all-star game. Sorry.

:wink:

DVsoxfan
05-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Hard to argue with 7-0 and 2.39ERA.'

Wow, he's turned the corner for sure. He looks like a totally different pitcher. Just throwing sinker after sinker, and great confidence in that changeup. That changeup get left up a lot last year and was hit hard. This year hes keeping it down, and hes got all the confidence in the world right now. Keep it up big Jon

SoxFan48
05-12-2005, 10:59 PM
If Garland continues apace for the next month he is certainly an All Star, maybe the starter.

But a little history lesson. Esteban Loaiza was a fifth starter who went to All Star game starter to 2nd in Cy Young race to midseason dump the next year.

Let's go slow when talking about an expensive extension. This will require a second great season.

Evman5
05-12-2005, 11:05 PM
If Garland continues apace for the next month he is certainly an All Star, maybe the starter.

But a little history lesson. Esteban Loaiza was a fifth starter who went to All Star game starter to 2nd in Cy Young race to midseason dump the next year.

Let's go slow when talking about an expensive extension. This will require a second great season.

Yah but Garland has always had the stuff. Loaiza simply learned to throw his cutter. Then the next season he lost his velocity and was not nearly as effective as the previous year. Jon has great natural movement on his pitches and is just more confident overall. I agree that we should wait to see how he finishes out the season, but it is definitely less likely to be a fluke than Loaiza's season.

RedPinStripes
05-12-2005, 11:07 PM
I guess the Sox realized that the 5th spot was a probelm last year.:D:

He's done a hell of a job. I feel guilty about really starting to like him after how critical i've been of him. Nice problem to have.

Sox of White
05-12-2005, 11:20 PM
He's done a hell of a job.

No doubt. There must be some sort of conspiracy if he is not an All-Star. Plus he was named pitcher of the month for April. So there are three pitchers of the month before the break. You would think that must make them a shoe-in.

Jurr
05-12-2005, 11:33 PM
That man has learned to go inside, and it's making a WORLD of a difference. Did you see how many bats he blew up tonight? Wow.

TaylorStSox
05-12-2005, 11:36 PM

Loaiza was 76 years old and never showed the talent that Garland has. Garland's on the pace that should have been expected his whole career. 20 year old's that develop in the majors aren't going to dominate until their mid-20's. Unless, they're freaks with once in a lifetime stuff.

DaleJRFan
05-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Fifth starters don't qualify for the all-star game. Sorry.

:wink:

:redneck I think this is a no-brainer.

But then again, Bronson Arroyo is throwing lights out as well... and Francona is picking the pitchers.

Jurr
05-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Loaiza was 76 years old and never showed the talent that Garland has. Garland's on the pace that should have been expected his whole career. 20 year old's that develop in the majors aren't going to dominate until their mid-20's. Unless, they're freaks with once in a lifetime stuff.
Yeah, and those freaks generally get overworked all the way up to the bigs, where they become MRI cases. Ahemm CoughWoodPriorCough.

TaylorStSox
05-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Yeah, and those freaks generally get overworked all the way up to the bigs, where they become MRI cases. Ahemm CoughWoodPriorCough.

coughbeckettburnettcough

voodoochile
05-13-2005, 12:24 AM
That man has learned to go inside, and it's making a WORLD of a difference. Did you see how many bats he blew up tonight? Wow.

That was hilarious. He got like 4 out of 5 guys at one point. The Mora at bat where he shattered the bat and then gave Mora a stinger on the next pitch was just classic.

The first three innings he was incredible and after that he was still pretty darn decent.

seanpmurphy
05-13-2005, 12:45 AM
No way is ANY player from the WORST TEAM TO ROOT FOR IN BASEBALL going to end up on the All-Star team this season!!