PDA

View Full Version : Is it a three man crew ?

bobelou72
05-12-2005, 08:53 PM
Is Robin staying in the booth with hawk and Dj :smile: Or is it just for one night?

FJA
05-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Is Robin staying in the booth with hawk and Dj :smile: Or is it just for one night?

Just tonight, but it sounds like he might be back every now and then (Hawk said LA).

I thought he and DJ alone were kind of dry, but Hawk, DJ and Robin together is a solid team. All three seem to make each other better.

jmoney
05-12-2005, 09:27 PM
most definitely, this is the best sox broadcast i've seen in awhile

Mark Buehrle
05-12-2005, 09:28 PM
Yeah, this is great. I love it.

kevingrt
05-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Robin adds a nice touch to the booth, also holds off DJ for a little bit. I love this booth. They should do it the rest of the season!:supernana:

Flames24Rulz
05-12-2005, 09:46 PM
they also don't have the long pauses of silence either...the stories tonight have been very good too. i really hope Robin does more games this year and hopefully it will translate to a deal down the road.

Brian26
05-12-2005, 10:05 PM
I've said it a couple of other times in other threads, but Robin is absolutely fantastic on the mic. He's funny. He's adds really tremendous thoughts and insights. He's self-depricating. This three-man team is the best broadcasting crew I've ever heard on a Sox broadcast. The dynamic between all three of them is fantastic. I would love to see this become a regular thing.

Daver
05-12-2005, 10:10 PM
Harry and Jimmy were the best I ever heard.

Frater Perdurabo
05-12-2005, 10:36 PM
I enjoyed tonight's three-man booth as well. Their interplay was fantastic. Robin brings some great insights to the game. Glad to have Hawk back, too.

mmmmmbeeer
05-12-2005, 10:47 PM
As an extra innings subscriber I've had the opportunity to hear the Yankee's three man booth, which I believe is the only regular three man booth in the league. I despise the Yankees but I loved the conversation created by that third man. I didn't know the game was on WGN tonight so I was stuck listening to the O's broadcasters, but it sounds like Robin added quite a bit. Hopefully we follow the Yankees lead on this. Just another way of increasing interest in casual fans via an entertaining broadcast.

ChiSoxGirl
05-12-2005, 10:54 PM
I thought maybe it was just me being biased about Robin in the booth because he was my favorite player growing up, but judging by what everyone else has been saying in this thread, he really *is* great in the booth with Hawk and DJ (I don't have cable, so I didn't see any of the TB series that he did)!

I SO hope he'll be making other cameo appearances up there with them this season because he bring so much to the table with his insight, stories, and dry sense of humor. I also loved the clips of Ventura's two Grand Slams in Texas on 09.04.95! This was fantastic tonight and he brought us a winner! I <3 Robin!! :bandance:

owensmouth
05-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Robin knows he has a job with the White Sox if he wants it. He has made it clear that he wants to spend time this summer with his family. He may find that he likes the occasional visit, but I doubt you'll be seeing him too often.

LuvSox
05-12-2005, 11:10 PM
Harry and Jimmy were the best I ever heard.

Since we'll never see that again, this three man thing could work out. Hawk and Wimpy were great too.

mike squires
05-12-2005, 11:11 PM
I agree. Something was different tonight. I'm sure it had to do with Hawks first game back and I'm sure he was pumped but you guys are right, they all played off one another nicely and seemed very comfortable.

FYI, for those that didn't see the broadcast Robin made it clear his wife would not go for it...unless he was teasing.

soltrain21
05-12-2005, 11:18 PM
I assumed Robin was there for precautionary reasons incase Hawk had complications with his eye. My Chinese teacher had to get surgury on a detached retina and there were several times for about a week where she would have to step out the room and take a break or cancel class because of problems.

Hawk probably has it 90 times worse. Either way, I loved the broadcast.

Lip Man 1
05-12-2005, 11:21 PM
I agree with Daver.

According to a new column in the Tribune tonight teddy Greenstein says the three man booth was just for tonight. However Hawk said he won't know if he'll be able to fly to Los Angeles for the road trip until after he checks with his doctor.

Maybe he'll pull a John Madden and take a bus? LOL

Lip

Kogs35
05-12-2005, 11:25 PM
I agree with Daver.

According to a new column in the Tribune tonight teddy Greenstein says the three man booth was just for tonight. However Hawk said he won't know if he'll be able to fly to Los Angeles for the road trip until after he checks with his doctor.

Maybe he'll pull a John Madden and take a bus? LOL

Lip

the Hawk mobile? LOL

StrTrkker
05-12-2005, 11:27 PM
The 2 man team of Hawk, DJ & Robin was great. I heard mention by DJ that they should try and get Lance Johnson to come on one game. Maybe the Sox should try and add a different 3rd color guy each time the Sox plays a series. Former Sox players will add a nice touch to the broadcast and will no doubt share a lotta Sox stories from the past. I like to see them add like Ron Kittle, Bo Jackson, etc to the mix.

chisoxfanatic
05-12-2005, 11:28 PM
DJ certainly did a lot of Ventura butt-kissing during the Tampa series, and it got old FAST. No knock on DJ, but I'd much prefer Ventura to take over his spot. Ventura/Hawk would be a stunning duo to listen to during road games and nights I'm not at the ballpark...

I_Liked_Manuel
05-12-2005, 11:32 PM
The 2 man team of Hawk, DJ & Robin was great. I heard mention by DJ that they should try and get Lance Johnson to come on one game. Maybe the Sox should try and add a different 3rd color guy each time the Sox plays a series. Former Sox players will add a nice touch to the broadcast and will no doubt share a lotta Sox stories from the past. I like to see them add like Ron Kittle, Bo Jackson, etc to the mix.

you can never get too much one-dog, but i remember him being a fairly poor speaker though.

GregoryEtc
05-12-2005, 11:42 PM
you can never get too much one-dog, but i remember him being a fairly poor speaker though.

Maybe they can get former Bulls guard, Ron Harper up in the booth.

http://buy.overstock.com/images/products/muze/dvd/224792.JPG"That ainít right, Lord I apologize for that and be with the starving pygmies in New Guinea, Amen."