PDA

View Full Version : OK I know somebody here wrote this review

Fenway
05-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Painfully overrated
by rdivaldi (http://www.epinions.com/user-rdivaldi), Feb 04 '03

Pros: Nice party atmosphere for singles
Cons: Antiquated facilities, horrible sightlines, inattentive fans.

I often wondered what is the allure of this run-down old stadium. You have to give the owners of the team credit though, they've brainwashed millions into thinking that it is a jewel. When fans are reminded of the "tradition" or "history" of Wrigley...

Read the full review (http://www.epinions.com/content_89049239172)

or this one

Overall Underrated, great baseball viewing experience
by baseballguy19 (http://www.epinions.com/user-baseballguy19), Jul 16 '04
Pros: Access, cleanliness, food, sightlines, convenience, fan amenities, fan base
Cons: Needs green seats (light blue is not pretty), exterior ramps

Ya know this was the 1st time I had been to US Cellular Field here in 2004, I was eager to see what the place looked like after major renovations. All in all its looks absolutely fantastic. I was there in 00, 02 and multiple times in the 90's. Now in 04 ...

Read the full review (http://www.epinions.com/content_147977506436)

mweflen
05-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Nope, not me! :D: You can read my "unbiased" reviews....

see below...

balke
05-12-2005, 06:41 PM
Rdivaldi is a member isn't he? I've seen that name somewhere before.

Stroker Ace
05-12-2005, 07:00 PM
They should put an updated pic of the park up on their site

MeanFish
05-12-2005, 07:15 PM
Rdivaldi is a member isn't he? I've seen that name somewhere before.

Yes, RD is a member. He's much more active on the ESPN board, however, where he is considered to be the resident encyclopedia on our farm system.

rdivaldi
05-13-2005, 12:03 AM
You know, I figured it would be only a matter of time before someone found that review. I got hate mail for writing it, but I guess the truth hurts...

Iwritecode
05-13-2005, 10:57 AM
You know, I figured it would be only a matter of time before someone found that review. I got hate mail for writing it, but I guess the truth hurts...

Great review and certainly spot-on. :D:

Fredsox
05-13-2005, 11:24 AM
I'm going to Wrigley for the first time in 20+ years for the series, and frankly, I'm not looking forward to it. I feel like I'm a bit spoiled by Comiskey. I'm only going because one of my kids popped for the tickets and we get to see the Sox slap them around, but I am dreading how congested and uncomfortable the experience is going to be. Plus I hear it smells like a public bathroom.

MeanFish
05-13-2005, 11:31 AM
I'm going to Wrigley for the first time in 20+ years for the series, and frankly, I'm not looking forward to it. I feel like I'm a bit spoiled by Comiskey. I'm only going because one of my kids popped for the tickets and we get to see the Sox slap them around, but I am dreading how congested and uncomfortable the experience is going to be. Plus I hear it smells like a public bathroom.

Serious advice here - I would advise against consuming liquids of any kind during the hours leading up to and including the game. You want no part of the dreaded pee trough!

Fredsox
05-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Serious advice here - I would advise against consuming liquids of any kind during the hours leading up to and including the game. You want no part of the dreaded pee trough!

As I see it I have 3 choices:
1) Wear full rain gear
2) Depends
3) A Clothes Pin

seanpmurphy
05-13-2005, 01:39 PM
As I see it I have 3 choices:
1) Wear full rain gear
2) Depends
3) A Clothes Pin

Yuck thanks for the advice. I'll be at Wrigley for when the Cubs play the Astros. Why you ask? Cause I'm an idiot...or too nice. One in the same.

DaleJRFan
05-13-2005, 02:26 PM
Not to get off topic, but... what tradition is there to be reminded of anyway? Tradition and history of the Cubs?? Losing? :?:

Fenway
05-13-2005, 03:45 PM

I get paid to find stuff like this :smile:

hose
05-13-2005, 05:08 PM

You were right on with that review.:thumbsup:

Clembasbal
05-13-2005, 05:21 PM
:hijacked:

Does anybody have access to the transcript for the John Kruk chat this afternoon (13th)? I tried making a post and I wanted to see if he responded to it...if you have it PM me or look for a Rich (Chicago) post...I want to say about 1 ish...maybe?

LVSoxFan
05-13-2005, 05:42 PM
I was in the Wrigley bleachers last Friday and it was a zoo. It's very, very cramped and you've got SRO people all lining the fence up there against Sheffield, and standing in front of the one concession stand up there, which makes for even more of a bottleneck.

You're also constantly vying to get past the vendors moving up and down. If you're down in front (we were literally up at the rail, in front of the baskets) and anywhere in the middle, you have to climb over an awful lot of people to get out and in.

And for the entire bleacher section there is one--one bathroom, which can lead to bathroom lines that last 20 minutes. You also cannot walk around Wrigley like at The Cell; if you're in the bleachers, you can never leave the bleachers.

I don't agree that the scoreboard and ivy are overrated--if you think about it, only the outfield/bleachers are what makes Wrigley unique, plus its location in the middle of a residential area. But otherwise, yes, it is antiquated and not fan-friendly. Another bad thing about Wrigley are the 1st level seats under the 2nd level deck--they SUCK. You cannot see the whole field, you get no sunlight, and on a cold day you sit there and EAT wind off the lake. The bathroom situation in the rest of the park is no better.

The food has changed, though: I believe they now use the same company as the Sox. Wrigley would be cool if you had box seats or a skybox (if you like that sort of thing); otherwise, it's just not a fun experience. Granted, a lot of that has to do with how packed it is now. And yes, people tend to not even pay attention to the game most of the time.
Even my hardcore Cubfan friends admit that the Cell rocks since they renovated it. Because it does. I love it.

rdivaldi
05-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Not to get off topic, but... what tradition is there to be reminded of anyway? Tradition and history of the Cubs?? Losing? :?:

Exactly. Ask the typical Wrigley Field fan how many World Series have been won in that stadium and see if they actually know that the correct answer is ZERO. I used quotes around "tradition" and "history" to be sarcastic.

The only team with tradition and history in the Urinal is Da Bears...