PDA

View Full Version : Possible: Tony Pena to be part of the Sox Orgzn.

CPditka
05-12-2005, 03:04 PM
White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said he would explore any openings in the Sox's organization for Peņa. GM Ken Williams hired Pena as the Sox's coordinator of Dominican operations in 1998, and Pena managed in the Arizona Fall League the same year. "I know Kenny loves him -- I know that for a fact," Guillen said. "If something opened, we'd be more than pleased to have him help us." Guillen suspects Pena might not have resigned, as was announced. "I know Tony is not a quitter," Guillen said.
-- Chicago Tribune

link (http://http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scorecard/05/12/truth.rumors.mlb/index.html)

Article also says possible suitors for the Royals job include Gene Lamont & Jerry "not my man" Manuel. Good Luck KC.:gulp:

Baby Fisk
05-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Article also says possible suitors for the Royals job include Gene Lamont & Jerry "not my man" Manuel. Good Luck KC.
Yeah, they need someone like that to light a fire under the Royals. Or maybe a third alternate jersey would inspire the players. That team is tragic.

balke
05-12-2005, 03:29 PM
Yeah, they need someone like that to light a fire under the Royals. Or maybe a third alternate jersey would inspire the players. That team is tragic.

HAHAHA please take Manuel ROYALS! PLEEEASE!

CHISOXFAN13
05-12-2005, 03:37 PM
HAHAHA please take Manuel ROYALS! PLEEEASE!

Does it really matter? Nobody is going to be successful there as long as Royals managament continues to trot crap on the field.

mjharrison72
05-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Someone mentioned Peņa would make a good bench coach... are the Sox happy with Baines, or what? Would the addition of Peņa make one too many Venezuelans on the coaching staff?

batmanZoSo
05-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Someone mentioned Peņa would make a good bench coach... are the Sox happy with Baines, or what? Would the addition of Peņa make one too many Venezuelans on the coaching staff?

We can have as many Venezuelans as we want, it's the Trinidad & Tobagoans you have to look out for...can't have too many of those. :cool:

LVSoxFan
05-12-2005, 03:50 PM
I don't think you can have too many Latinos of any kind on the staff, LOL! I say, hey: I want some more Japanese!

I've heard nothing but good things about Pena.

I've also heard he's been handcuffed by an owner who makes JR look like Steinbrenner, spending-wise.

They have some good players, and that Grenke kid is amazing.
If anybody needs an Angels-like owner change, it would be this club.

MIgrenade
05-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Tony Pena for Shingo

JoseCanseco6969
05-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Tony Pena for Shingo

no we cant do that because hes already going to the cubs for D Lee, dont you read these boards???

MeanFish
05-12-2005, 04:30 PM
do we cant do that because hes already going to the cubs for D Lee, dont you read these boards???

Man, that idea was worse than the "Jump to Conclusions" mat from Office Space.

mjharrison72
05-12-2005, 04:48 PM
We can have as many Venezuelans as we want, it's the Trinidad & Tobagoans you have to look out for...can't have too many of those. :cool:
And thank God we don't have any Arubans on our team...

MIgrenade
05-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Man, that idea was worse than the "Jump to Conclusions" mat from Office Space.

So was the pet rock, but that guy made a million dollars.

NonetheLoaiza
05-13-2005, 12:46 AM
And thank God we don't have any Arubans on our team...

or people who punch judges at the beach...:?:

popilius
05-13-2005, 01:42 AM

Pena's Domincan.

:gulp:

Banix12
05-13-2005, 02:12 AM
I doubt he would supplant Baines as bench coach, my guess is they would do for him like the cubs did for Grady Little. Make up some job and have him work with scouting and personnel.

CPditka
05-13-2005, 03:20 AM
I would definetly welcome Tony, it seems like just yesterday he was the hot coaching prospect (but what do they know)... he could be retained in some B.S. capacity as stated above (and a great international scout), he really fits Ozzies tenacity and attitude. If Harold did want to leave at some point, he would be the bench coach in waiting.