PDA

View Full Version : Add Rob Neyer to the List

MUScholar21
05-12-2005, 12:19 PM
From the 12p Chat on ESPN.com-I asked this question and got an answer for ALL of us to remember come July:

Paul (Chicago)
Rob, if the Yankees are off to the start the White Sox are, all we will hear is how they can't be stopped from going to the WS. If Billy Beane makes the same moves as Kenny Williams with these results, Billy's hailed a genius. All I hear is people like Kruk and Brantley ripping the White Sox, saying they won't win the division. What does it take for the Sox of the Midwest to get some national respect?
ROB NEYER
Oh, those poor, poor White Sox from the third-largest city in North America; oh, how my heart does weep for them. Look, the White Sox wear ugly uniforms in an ugly ballpark with an ugly name, and the truth is that it's just not easy to like them. Are they for real? Twenty-five wins on May 12 don't lie, and at the moment I'd give them roughly a 40 percent chance of reaching the postseason, because they have to compete with not only the Twins, but also maybe the Red Sox and/or Yankees and/or Orioles. Two of those teams will not reach the postseason, and I think the White Sox are one of the two least-talented teams in the group.

White Sox fans, make sure Neyer is noted as being one of the first to get rolled over when the bandwagon really gets moving. Talk about a completely unwarranted cheap shot, and spoken like someone who has not been in the park in the last 3 years. Another reason for us all to have long memories.

Palehose13
05-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Look, the White Sox wear ugly uniforms in an ugly ballpark with an ugly name, and the truth is that it's just not easy to like them.

Point #1: This sounds like a reason a sorority girl would give for not liking a baseball team.

Point #2: UGLY UNIFORMS? This guy has no fashion sense, so therefore his sorority girl reasoning above holds no water.

MRKARNO
05-12-2005, 12:28 PM
From his ongoing chat:

Paul (Chicago): Rob, if the Yankees are off to the start the White Sox are, all we will hear is how they can't be stopped from going to the WS. If Billy Beane makes the same moves as Kenny Williams with these results, Billy's hailed a genius. All I hear is people like Kruk and Brantley ripping the White Sox, saying they won't win the division. What does it take for the Sox of the Midwest to get some national respect?

Rob Neyer: (1:16 PM ET ) Oh, those poor, poor White Sox from the third-largest city in North America; oh, how my heart does weep for them. Look, the White Sox wear ugly uniforms in an ugly ballpark with an ugly name, and the truth is that it's just not easy to like them. Are they for real? Twenty-five wins on May 12 don't lie, and at the moment I'd give them roughly a 40 percent chance of reaching the postseason, because they have to compete with not only the Twins, but also maybe the Red Sox and/or Yankees and/or Orioles. Two of those teams will not reach the postseason, and I think the White Sox are one of the two least-talented teams in the group

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=8129

I dont know how facetious he was being with earlier comments of this quote (he may have been, or the irrational and somewhat bitter Royals fan inside emerged for a few sentences), but this isn't going to make many folks around here happy.

daveeym
05-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Point #1: This sounds like a reason a sorority girl would give for not liking a baseball team.

Point #2: UGLY UNIFORMS? This guy has no fashion sense, so therefore his sorority girl reasoning above holds no water. And they're the White Sox, yet I don't see them wearing white socks.

Lip Man 1
05-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Basically my reply is f#$% him. It's one thing to have a considered opinion and that's fine. It's another to go out of your way to make malicious comments.

I have never wanted a Sox team to win more then this year's, so that at the end of the year, Sox fans can give the finger to everyone, including the media who took 'cheap shots,' at the team, fans and organization.

Like I said an honest opinion, is fine...I have no trouble with that...but insults, pet peeves and personal bitterness have no place in the media.

Lip

DaveIsHere
05-12-2005, 12:57 PM
This starting to crack me up, his excuse is ugly this ugly that, which is obviosly untrue, the animosity towards the Sox seems to stem from them drawing attention away from NY, Boston, and the Flubs. It seems like the tide is turning and they refuse to abide. Oh well we are used to it, still amazes me.

shoota
05-12-2005, 01:03 PM

Add Neyer to the list? He's already on it.

Palehose13
05-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Basically my reply is f#$% him. It's one thing to have a considered opinion and that's fine. It's another to go out of your way to make malicious comments.

I have never wanted a Sox team to win more then this year's, so that at the end of the year, Sox fans can give the finger to everyone, including the media who took 'cheap shots,' at the team, fans and organization.

Like I said an honest opinion, is fine...I have no trouble with that...but insults, pet peeves and personal bitterness have no place in the media.

Lip

I kinda like Lip.2005 :smile:

Flight #24
05-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Sox unis among the top sellers in MLB since they switched to the "silver & black"? So Mr. Neyer, apparently the majority of America disagrees with your detemination of "ugly". On a side note, "Neyer" is a fairly ugly name.

And "White Sox" is an ugly name but "Red Sox" apparently isn't?:?:
Or if it's just the park, US Cellular Field is bad, but "SBC Park", "Minute Maid Field", or hell - "Wrigley Field" are just so damn poetic?:?:

Irishsox1
05-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Who cares what Roy Neyer has to say? Who the hell is he anyways? I guess he's a ESPN.com writer...is that something you necessarily want to put on your resume?

TaylorStSox
05-12-2005, 01:32 PM
I still think that alot of these baseball "purists", as they call themselves, will never like the Sox for the '19 series.

I can't say I blame them really.

Also, I can't believe I'm agreeing with Lip. F%$ck them!!! We don't need em and never will.

My mom = hot!
05-12-2005, 01:33 PM
What does Rob Neyer have against the pale hose? :angry:

Paul (Chicago): Rob, if the Yankees are off to the start the White Sox are, all we will hear is how they can't be stopped from going to the WS. If Billy Beane makes the same moves as Kenny Williams with these results, Billy's hailed a genius. All I hear is people like Kruk and Brantley ripping the White Sox, saying they won't win the division. What does it take for the Sox of the Midwest to get some national respect?

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Rob Neyer: Oh, those poor, poor White Sox from the third-largest city in North America; oh, how my heart does weep for them. Look, the White Sox wear ugly uniforms in an ugly ballpark with an ugly name, and the truth is that it's just not easy to like them. Are they for real? Twenty-five wins on May 12 don't lie, and at the moment I'd give them roughly a 40 percent chance of reaching the postseason, because they have to compete with not only the Twins, but also maybe the Red Sox and/or Yankees and/or Orioles. Two of those teams will not reach the postseason, and I think the White Sox are one of the two least-talented teams in the group.

dumbass69
05-12-2005, 01:37 PM
I hear you "Mark Salas = God"!
Neyer is a juvenile ass and I see no reason for his vendetta vs. the pale hose.
I'd love to hear Hal Vickory's take on this.:dtroll: :happybday

Flight #24
05-12-2005, 01:38 PM
I think the White Sox are one of the two least-talented teams in the group.

Translation: "I didn't pick them earlier, and I can't reverse field quite so quickly, so I have to just say they're less talented and will flop. Then even if they won I can still say "They got lucky- they were obviously less talented".

I have to admit, I was pretty POd to see this. Goosfarba couldn't even calm me down. Then I took a deep breath and remembered:

We. Don't. Care.

(Thanks Kenny!)

Unregistered
Aw, boo hoo, Rob. Meanwhile your "awesome" Royals with their "beautiful" black uniforms just fired their manager (oh that's right, he "quit") and are well on their way to another 100 loss season.

Way to be a professional, ya douchebag. :rolleyes:

Hitmen77
Oh that poor, poor Rob Neyer from ESPN.com. Look, he is an ugly person, is very stupid, has his head all the way up his ass, and the truth is that it's just not easy to like him.

soxfan123
05-12-2005, 01:39 PM
I heard him praise the sox earlier in the year with a title "The Year of the Sox". I don't know, he has to be against the park and the name because he is ESPN, but I don't personally find him to be intelligent. His predictions have always been off, and he has to go with the flow of ESPN's empire, like a robot or something. The only writer I admire is Buster Olney at times, and eh can be a little ridiculous too. I see little value in what Neyer says.

TaylorStSox
05-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Let me go a little further on that... We should market this team as the bad boy underdogs. We have the 38th round Ace. We have the catcher nobody wanted. We have the Japanese 2nd baseman nobody wanted. We have the "crazy" OF'r nobody wanted. The washed up RF nobody wanted. The 2 Cuban exiles. The California born 5th starter with an "attitude problem." The "underachieving" Garcia. The LF'r nobody wanted because he was overated. The CF'r nicknamed "Crash." The 3rd baseman who plays the game the right way.

These guys are all characters that nobody wanted. We have a team philosophy that the James crowd said wouldn't work. This is a storybook team. Hopefully, we can have a story book ending. It couldn't have been more appropriate for The Chicago White Sox.

FoulkeFan
05-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Who cares what this idiot says? He's a Royals fan for pete's sake.

Palehose Pete
05-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Ugly uniform? That's a new one.

What jag.

jdm2662
05-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Keep talking everyone. We will be laughing in the end.
________
Teen Topless (http://www.****tube.com/categories/1054/topless/videos/1)

fquaye149
05-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Let me go a little further on that... We should market this team as the bad boy underdogs. We have the 38th round Ace. We have the catcher nobody wanted. We have the Japanese 2nd baseman nobody wanted. We have the "crazy" OF'r nobody wanted. The washed up RF nobody wanted. The 2 Cuban exiles. The California born 5th starter with an "attitude problem." The "underachieving" Garcia. The LF'r nobody wanted because he was overated. The CF'r nicknamed "Crash." The 3rd baseman who plays the game the right way.

These guys are all characters that nobody wanted. We have a team philosophy that the James crowd said wouldn't work. This is a storybook team. Hopefully, we can have a story book ending. It couldn't have been more appropriate for The Chicago White Sox.

maybe there is a reason no one wanted that RFer :)

DrCrawdad
05-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Cubune blog comments:

George Knue at 1:17 p.m.
No love here: ESPN.com's Rob Neyer went off on the Sox and Sox fans in a chat today....

He went on to say he thinks the team has a 40 percent chance of reaching the postseason because he considers the Sox battling the Red Sox/Yankees/Orioles and the Twins for a spot. And he considers the Sox one of the two least-talented teams in that group.

Rob, we've been down this no-respect road, and even though it's too late now and you sound like you already know, here's some advice: Don't get White Sox fans angry. Hope you've got lots of room in your e-mail box.

And I think the uniforms are fine.

dumbass69
05-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Neyer has 0 creddibility because he does not wear a moustache.:gulp: :bandance: :dtroll: :supernana: :) :angry: :redface: :mad:

mikehuff
05-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Wow, that's more than being objective and looking at the Twins as having a better chance. This guy sounds like he's really got something against the Sox.

That's the type of thing that I would write about the Cubs (a team that I hate,) but then again, on a board like this, not as a national sports reporter doing my job.

mweflen
05-12-2005, 01:51 PM
we need a "What's New?" picture to go with the "Who Cares" pic. :smile:

cheeses_h_rice
05-12-2005, 01:52 PM
Was his "ugly uniforms" comment in teal, by chance?

:rolleyes:

dumbass69
05-12-2005, 01:55 PM
????

fledgedrallycap
05-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Ugly uniform? That's a new one.

What jag.

yeah, no kidding....it's come down to insulting our fashion sense :D:

Unregistered
05-12-2005, 01:56 PM
Hey how do you e-mail this dorkI found two emails for him:

rob.neyer@email.disney.com (rob.neyer@email.disney.com) and neyer@espn.com

skottyj242
05-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Neyer has 0 creddibility because he does not wear a moustache.:gulp: :bandance: :dtroll: :supernana: :) :angry: :redface: :mad:

Moustache!! I alsmost just messed myself, that's pretty funny.

dumbass69
why is "the chef" silent?

DumpJerry
ROB NEYER
Oh, those poor, poor White Sox from the third-largest city in North America
WRONG! Third largest in the United States, but Mexico City is larger and, I think, so is Guadalajara. Toronto is close to us, might be larger.

What a dweebish dork.:angry:

Unregistered
05-12-2005, 01:59 PM
Rob, we've been down this no-respect road, and even though it's too late now and you sound like you already know, here's some advice: Don't get White Sox fans angry. Hope you've got lots of room in your e-mail box. Incidentally, rob.neyer@email.disney.com (rob.neyer@email.disney.com)

:whistle:

JoseCanseco6969
What does Rob Neyer have against the pale hose? :angry:

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Rob Neyer: Oh, those poor, poor White Sox from the third-largest city in North America; oh, how my heart does weep for them. Look, the White Sox wear ugly uniforms in an ugly ballpark with an ugly name, and the truth is that it's just not easy to like them. Are they for real? Twenty-five wins on May 12 don't lie, and at the moment I'd give them roughly a 40 percent chance of reaching the postseason, because they have to compete with not only the Twins, but also maybe the Red Sox and/or Yankees and/or Orioles. Two of those teams will not reach the postseason, and I think the White Sox are one of the two least-talented teams in the group.

Ugly uniforms??? ugly name??? ohh but I'm sure the red sox are one of his favorite names. Weird how "white sox" is an ugly name. damn that color white!

ja1022
Why does anyone really give a **** what Rob Neyer thinks. It doesn't ****ing matter what he or any of the media think.

Unregistered
05-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Ugly uniforms??? ugly name??? ohh but I'm sure the red sox are one of his favorite names.Actually, he's a Royals fan. That's all that needs to be said.

JoseCanseco6969
05-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Actually, he's a Royals fan. That's all that needs to be said.

Well that being said...i pity him.

mack10zie
05-12-2005, 02:02 PM
And what pray tell is a "pretty name"... the Red Sox?? This is not simply some expansion team that got it's name in the past ten years, this is a classic name, and the uniforms I'd say are pretty classic as well. I still don't understand why people think the stadium is so ugly, but to each his own I guess.

The thing that bugs me the most about his little rant is that he didn't answer the question... what will it take to get some respect from the analysts on ESPN etc.? Well, in a round-a-bout way he sort of answered I guess, "there is nothing that they can do"

And what does being in the third biggest city in the US have to do with anything... that comment seems just completely random and pointless.

Also, I don't really think the Sox are getting the shaft respect-wise from most of the media (see Ranked #1 in numerous (all that I've seen) online rankings). The only people who don't seem to think that the Sox exist are the folks at BBTN. Unfortunately that is the medium that many a baseball fan turns to for their baseball information. Oh well. Keep winning and I couldn't care less.

My mom = hot!
05-12-2005, 02:05 PM
from left to right: boring, fat, annoying, and almost dead.

:angry:

ilsox7
05-12-2005, 02:07 PM
He's an idiot and always has been. But he is not saying White Sox is an ugly name. He is saying the name of our ballpark is an ugly name.

Unregistered
05-12-2005, 02:07 PM
the royals have ugly uniforms, an ugly stadium (centerfield waterfalls? canaybody say "gimmick"?), and just fired a manager with an ugly latin name.
If my slacks weren't so dag-gum tight and they weren't seriously restricting my mobility, I would hunt robert neyer down and take my forceps and extract his larynx -- without anaesthetic!!!:?:Relax, Horsemaster Fred...

mack10zie
05-12-2005, 02:09 PM
He's an idiot and always has been. But he is not saying White Sox is an ugly name. He is saying the name of our ballpark is an ugly name.

Ah yes, it pays to re-read...

dumbass69
05-12-2005, 02:09 PM
my name ain't fred:dtroll:

mweflen
05-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Dear Mr. Neyer,

You sir, are an ill-informed media hack of the highest degree. Any intelligent discussion of the Sox and their public image would have nothing to do with their uniforms (which are widely considered some of the nicest looking in baseball) or their ballpark (which has been renovated quite nicely), but instead on their ownership and its relationship with the media.

It may "just not be easy to like them" if you're an embittered Royals fan, but why not try speaking from facts and research instead of from half-baked prejudices when you are carrying out your duties as a supposedly objective sports "journalist."

In addition, the original poster you responded to has a very legitimate point: the types of roster moves and record thus far the White Sox have enjoyed would have had ESPN's collective "brain trust" tied up in apopleptic fits of joy and praise had they been undertaken by Billy Beane, Theo Epstein or Brian Cashman.

Signed,

Matthew Weflen
White Sox Fan Who Has Had No Problem Liking Them For 15 Years.

My email to Neyer. The ESPN address does not eppear to work.

My mom = hot!
05-12-2005, 02:13 PM
C'mon "Fred"! Whatsa matter "FRED"! You a big *****, "FRED"?!?

these posts are making me bananas!

:bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

tee hee!

Palehose Pete
05-12-2005, 02:13 PM
Actually, I'm finding this whole Neyer thing pretty funny. I read his reply, again, and it seems like he just lost it. I get the feeling that if the Sox keep winning and Sox fans become more vocal about not getting near the cred and pub that other less successful teams get, there are going to be more incidents of sports journalists yelling at us. You know, the way annoyed parents tell the kids in the back seat to be quiet on a long road trip after the kids have been badgering the parents with, "Are we there, yet?" :D:

Hitmen77
05-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Hey, that could be our '05 slogan: Winning Ugly(name), Ugly(uniforms), Ugly(ballpark)! But, it might be difficult to build a slogan around what someone as lowly as Rob "who the hell am I" Neyer.

Kudos to George Knue for pointing this out as an unwarranted cheap shot.

tstrike2000
05-12-2005, 02:17 PM
http://69.20.67.100/library/photos/214/214678.jpg ....Rob Neyer is a Lihoo hisser!

DumpJerry
05-12-2005, 02:19 PM
MODS: What the Score has the same thread.

On the other thread, I mentioned how stupid he is with his "third largest city in North America" comment. Mexico and Canada are also part of North America and I know that at least Mexico City is larger than Chicago......
Chicago is the third largest city in the United States.

dumbass69
05-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Seriously, who is Fred?

DumpJerry
05-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Incidentally, rob.neyer@email.disney.com (rob.neyer@email.disney.com) and neyer@espn.com

:whistle:
On the other thread on this topic in Sox Clubhouse, someone said the ESPN address does not work.

Unregistered
05-12-2005, 02:23 PM
On the other thread on this topic in Sox Clubhouse, someone said the ESPN address does not work.OK, I edited it out.

jackbrohamer
05-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Seriously, who is Fred?

He was something, but I'm not sure what. I think he only lasted a couple of hours.

dumbass69
05-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Dude, bring it on. I swear to god i will (bleep) you right smack in the (bleeping) (bleep).
Argh.
xxoo
George "bananas" Foster
:supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

nebraskasox
05-12-2005, 02:33 PM
from left to right: boring, fat, annoying, and almost dead.

:angry:

Pretty good line - LOL. Actually boring has been pretty annoying himself since he keeps asking when the other shoe is going to drop - "everybody" keeps waiting for this, he says. Fat rips our fans for not showing up on a freezing night against KC. Annoying leaves you completely confused after he "breaks it down". And dead has grudgingly aknowledged the pitching pitching strength this year and admitted how picked our Sox (not his) to finish 3rd or 4th.

This Neyer guy sounds like he's either trying to stir up interest with sensationalism or has a personal grudge against the Sox.

I'm actually amused by the national dissing of the Sox - as long as they keep winning. It doesn't bother me a bit. I kind of like it as long as the wins keep coming. The Sox will have to earn respect by winning something, not just by being in first on May 12. The Twins, Yanks, BoSox, Cards, etc won respect on the field. The Sox will have to do the same.

The Orioles series will be telling. "Everybody" expects a fall. Our pitching vs. their hitting. Let's see what we're made of. Hope JG gets us started in the right direction tonight.

Unregistered
05-12-2005, 02:34 PM
He was something, but I'm not sure what. I think he only lasted a couple of hours.If someone reads this quote: If my slacks weren't so dag-gum tight and they weren't seriously restricting my mobility, I would hunt robert neyer down and take my forceps and extract his larynx -- without anaesthetic!!! and doesn't think "Horsemaster Fred," they're crazy. :D:

rwcescato
05-12-2005, 02:37 PM

Lip

I agree Mark. For petes sake, what does a uniform & stadium have to do with a 25-9 record. Lets sweep these Orioles out of town. Besides he must be living in the 70's snd 80's if he talking about the stadium and uniforms.
Rich

dumbass69
05-12-2005, 02:39 PM
hey chef, did you ever see that burt reynold's film, "going bananas"?
:bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

CHISOXFAN13
05-12-2005, 03:02 PM

Point #2: UGLY UNIFORMS? This guy has no fashion sense, so therefore his sorority girl reasoning above holds no water.

As evidenced by the flannel shirt he's wearing in his mug shot, I'm certainly not going to give his fashion sense any cred.

What a tool this guy is.

CHISOXFAN13
05-12-2005, 03:04 PM
My email to Neyer. The ESPN address does not eppear to work.

For some reason, Mr. Neyer has a website, www.robneyer.com, which allows you to e-mail him.

mcfish
05-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Dude, bring it on. I swear to god i will (bleep) you right smack in the (bleeping) (bleep).
Argh.
xxoo
George "bananas" Foster
:supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana:Newbie fight? :o: :(:

iftypofixit
05-12-2005, 03:25 PM
Paul (Chicago)
Rob, if the Yankees are off to the start the White Sox are, all we will hear is how they can't be stopped from going to the WS. If Billy Beane makes the same moves as Kenny Williams with these results, Billy's hailed a genius. All I hear is people like Kruk and Brantley ripping the White Sox, saying they won't win the division. What does it take for the Sox of the Midwest to get some national respect?
ROB NEYER
Oh, those poor, poor White Sox from the third-largest city in North America; oh, how my heart does weep for them. Look, the White Sox wear ugly uniforms in an ugly ballpark with an ugly name, and the truth is that it's just not easy to like them. Are they for real? Twenty-five wins on May 12 don't lie, and at the moment I'd give them roughly a 40 percent chance of reaching the postseason, because they have to compete with not only the Twins, but also maybe the Red Sox and/or Yankees and/or Orioles. Two of those teams will not reach the postseason, and I think the White Sox are one of the two least-talented teams in the group.

He never even answered your question. :(:

MRKARNO
05-12-2005, 03:51 PM
For some reason, Mr. Neyer has a website, www.robneyer.com (http://www.robneyer.com), which allows you to e-mail him.

A few things:

1. This is the direct link to his contact page if you have anything to say to him: http://www.robneyer.com/contact.html

2. Rob Neyer has waffled back and forth on the White Sox more than any other media writer I have seen, even exceeding the Windsock himself.

3. I dont know what Neyer was thinking when he wrote the response but it was unprofessional and the only person he did a disservice to was himself in discrediting his work.

4. George Knue deserves praise for mentioning this in his only outlet to the public that he uses reguarly: the chicagosports.com blog. He gets a fair amount of undeserved flak from this community IMO when he does not write the stories nor edits the paper itself, only the website which has been more than fair to the White Sox with some notable, but overblown exceptions.

maurice
05-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Knue's (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-blogcurrent,1,1990381.htmlstory?coll=cs-home-headlines) response to Neyer's nervous breakdown:
Rob, we've been down this no-respect road, and even though it's too late now and you sound like you already know, here's some advice: Don't get White Sox fans angry. Hope you've got lots of room in your e-mail box.

And I think the uniforms are fine.

:rolling:

Fenway
05-12-2005, 04:17 PM
cut through the crap about the stadium and uniforms and look at the pure baseball part of it
Are they for real? Twenty-five wins on May 12 don't lie, and at the moment I'd give them roughly a 40 percent chance of reaching the postseason, because they have to compete with not only the Twins, but also maybe the Red Sox and/or Yankees and/or Orioles. Two of those teams will not reach the postseason, and I think the White Sox are one of the two least-talented teams in the group.

Right now everybody is throwing the AL West out of the WC and after seeing Seattle and Oakland get destroyed by Boston and New York that is probably fair....

so

Easy way for http://images.sportsline.com/images/mlb/icons/CHW.gif to shut everybody up is to win the Central which while not a sure thing certainly looks possible given the great start. But KW better find a closer soon as Shingo appears to be mentally toast right now. You could see just by the way he reacted in Tampa after the game winning HR was hit.

If http://images.sportsline.com/images/mlb/icons/MIN.gif passes you then http://images.sportsline.com/images/mlb/icons/CHW.gif do have a problem and it lies with the 2 powers of I-95 http://images.sportsline.com/images/mlb/icons/BOS.gif and http://images.sportsline.com/images/mlb/icons/NYY.gif. Both of these teams WILL do whatever they can come July 31st....Will the White Sox? Only one man can answer that question and he doesn't stop by here to bite the apple.

oeo
05-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Can he make up his mind? First, we're to win the division, then we're going to take the Wild Card by 2 games over the Orioles and now we only have a 40% chance of getting to the playoffs. Wow, does he not realize what he's saying?

And how are our uniforms ugly? How is the Cell ugly? He can shove it.

halfpricemonday
05-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Seriously, who is Fred?

More to the point, who is heck is Rob Neyer? Unless some can prove that his meaningless comments will somehow affect the AL Central standings by even a single percentage point, I don't give a **** what he has to say.

JRIG
05-12-2005, 04:22 PM
More to the point, who is heck is Rob Neyer? Unless some can prove that his meaningless comments will somehow affect the AL Central standings by even a single percentage point, I don't give a **** what he has to say.

POTW

MUScholar21
05-12-2005, 04:34 PM
This guy really IS a jag. This is what I emailed him:

Rob,

I wrote to you earlier today about the White Sox in your chat on ESPN.com. I'm sure you probably don't remember, but this was the extent of my question and your answer:[I copied and pasted the question/answer, you all don't need to see it again]

I cannot emphasize enough how uninformative, biased, and completely immature your "analysis" was. You offered no more insight than I would expect from a high school girl about why she doesn't like a team. The uniforms? This is your idea of insight? It is insulting to me and most people who read this site for information that as an analyst you pass this garbage off as wisdom.

As far as the park goes, the White Sox have made significant improvements in beautifying this park, and I would consider it one of the most fan-friendly parks around. If you disagree, fine. But don't use an "ugly ballpark" as an answer to my question. It is completely unrelated and an undeserved shot. It has no more bearing on my question than does the fact I think Wrigley smells like urine have to do with why the Cubs get so much respect by people like you. I sincerely hope the next time you hold a chat, you keep this in mind.

You sound like a bitter Royals fan in your comments today, and when you make these comments all I can think is that you are a guy unhappy with the fact that your preseason picks are being thrown off by the White Sox and Orioles. Grow up, and offer the analysis people expect from the so-called "Worldwide Leader in Sports." Otherwise, quit your job.

By the way, statistically Chicago is the fourth largest city in North America, behind Mexico City, New York City, and Los Angeles. So even your facts are wrong.

Very Sincerely,

Paul Rojek
PRojek21@hotmail.com

This is what I got back:

Dude . . . IT'S A CHAT! If you want informed discourse, watch Baseball Tonight! Okay, bad example. But still . . . the ability, no the EAGERNESS, of people like you to take non-serious comments seriously really does amaze me. I have 30 seconds to rattle off an opinion, in response to somebody's who's obviously got absolutely no objectivity at all (i.e. you) and you want 50 words of brilliance?

Get a life, buddy. You must have something else you could be doing, rather than wasting my time.

mweflen
05-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Holy Flaming *******, Batman!

How can a person be so disrespectful to members of his "audience?" It's like he thinks he just gets paid because of what a swell and smart guy he is or something, and exists totally independent of the people who read his output.

Why doesn't HE get a life? Have any of you looked at his dumb F-in' website?

Palehose13
05-12-2005, 04:56 PM

Dude...that brought tears to my eyes. Seriously. It was beautiful.

E-mail Brooks immediately!

shoota
05-12-2005, 04:59 PM
On the other thread, I mentioned how stupid he is with his "third largest city in North America" comment. Mexico and Canada are also part of North America and I know that at least Mexico City is larger than Chicago......
Chicago is the third largest city in the United States.

Make sure to email Neyer about his false statistic.

maurice
05-12-2005, 05:01 PM
This part was pretty funny:
If you want informed discourse, watch Baseball Tonight! Okay, bad example.

The rest is ridiculous. A guy who premises his entire media career on the poor manipulation of stats announces that the 1st place Sox have only a "40% chance" of reaching the post-season for various ridiculous reasons, but expects everybody to think the whole thing is a joke. Dude, you're not Bill Simmons . . . or even Gregg Easterbrook. Your just some pud bean counter. If a "joke" blows up in your face, you have nobody to blame but yourself. If you don't think you have enough time to produce a thorough analysis, don't offer ridiculous figures like that "40%" BS.

Hitmen77
05-12-2005, 05:15 PM
This guy really IS a jag.

This is what I got back:

Dude . . . IT'S A CHAT! If you want informed discourse, watch Baseball Tonight! Okay, bad example. But still . . . the ability, no the EAGERNESS, of people like you to take non-serious comments seriously really does amaze me. I have 30 seconds to rattle off an opinion, in response to somebody's who's obviously got absolutely no objectivity at all (i.e. you) and you want 50 words of brilliance?

Get a life, buddy. You must have something else you could be doing, rather than wasting my time.

Hmmm....sounds like someone's e-mail is filling up with messages from irrate Sox fans and he's not too happy about it:tongue:.

You gotta love the double standard: when Cub fans or Red Sox fans stand up to any insult thrown at their team it shows how they are such great fans. When Sox fans do it, we need to get a life. :angry:

MRKARNO
05-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Neyer needs to realize that sarcasm is difficult to do correctly over the internet and while there was a sarcastic tone to his piece, it could have very well been reasonably interpreted as a hostile one. He could have gone about it in a different way. He didn't. He looked unprofessional in the process.

The Racehorse
05-12-2005, 05:31 PM

Lip

Lip, you are The Man. :cool:

Also, what Rob Neyer said regarding the SOX are bush league comments, pure & simple. :mad:

SoxEd
05-12-2005, 05:39 PM
Newbie fight? :o: :(:

I'm thinking it's more likely that these two are Fellow Travellers of sox1malone84 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49922), trolling from that Cubs Board.

Of course, I may well be wrong, but, what with trying to call each other out, and the few comments that are oh-so-reminiscent of the late, lamented Horsemaster, my gut tells me that these guys are essentially :dtroll:.

If I'm wrong, then apologies, and welcome aboard, to 'Mark Salas=God' & 'herm schneider69'.

My mom = hot!
05-12-2005, 06:03 PM
"sox1malone84"?! no way, brutha. i've been a loyal soxfan and reader of this board since 2002. just never posted. but MAN GODDAMN did Neyer piss me off.

SoxSpeed22
05-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Why does he still talk?

Lip Man 1
05-12-2005, 06:40 PM
A few points:

Flight...Neyer actually picked the Sox to win the division in his pre season picks. I have no idea what happened in the ensuing six weeks...maybe he's constipated.

Also Bob Vanderberg, Sox fan and Sox author had an interesting take today on the comments of people like John Kruk and Jeff Brantley. He says that a possible reason for the 'negativity' from them towards the Sox may be based on the fact that as former players they were probably strong union guys. Jerry Reinsdorf made no secret of his dislike for the MLBPA and made attempts to try to break it. Bob says they probably remember that and it influences their comments.

Have no idea how true that may be or not just passing it along.

Lip

fquaye149
05-12-2005, 07:28 PM
POTW

props for finally taking that KW trades reed and mo thing out of your signature

nasox
05-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Neyer has always been an ESPN idiot. For someone to be a stathead, they have to be able to crunch numbers and analyze stats.

nasox
05-12-2005, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE=MRKARNO]
2. Rob Neyer has waffled back and forth on the White Sox more than any other media writer I have seen, even exceeding the Windsock himself.
[QUOTE]
Moronotti really doesn't go back and forth on the sox, he just stays on the north side of the line.

Lip Man 1
05-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Here's a possible reason for today's comments by Neyer. Perhaps someone can check through his back columns and find it exactly.

Right before spring training he was 'called out' by Sox fans for his column on best and worst off-seasons. He put the Sox in the worst category. Sox fans took him to task and to his credit the following week he wrote another column admitting he didn't know the Sox signed Jermaine Dye and took the Sox out of the 'worst' department. For that he deservs much praise.

However in the next line he then placed the blame on his assistants which was a classless thing to do since he is being paid big dollars to take the praise and the blame for his authorship.

Having to do that (apologizing) probably wasn't easy for him to do and I'd think he probably remembered that when he blasted that Sox fan today.

Again if someone can find those columns / comments and post them in this thread that would be great.

Lip

Banix12
05-12-2005, 11:13 PM
A few points:

Flight...Neyer actually picked the Sox to win the division in his pre season picks. I have no idea what happened in the ensuing six weeks...maybe he's constipated.

Also Bob Vanderberg, Sox fan and Sox author had an interesting take today on the comments of people like John Kruk and Jeff Brantley. He says that a possible reason for the 'negativity' from them towards the Sox may be based on the fact that as former players they were probably strong union guys. Jerry Reinsdorf made no secret of his dislike for the MLBPA and made attempts to try to break it. Bob says they probably remember that and it influences their comments.

Have no idea how true that may be or not just passing it along.

Lip

Interesting take Lip.

I still don't understand why the only guy on the ESPN site who picked the sox to win the division before the season started has been blasting the sox and suddenly jumped off the bandwagon while they are in first place in mid-may and haven't lost ten games yet.

I wonder if he is one of these people who always has to root for the guy who isn't in first, when he picked the sox they were often thought to be a fourth place team. Now that the sox have jumped out to this lead he has to root for some team that isn't in first.

Spicoli
05-13-2005, 09:11 AM
In your emails, be sure to mention that you won't be purchasing any of his books, avid readers that you are. Let him know he is alienating his audience--his paying audience. For that matter, all of his columns are ESPN Insider which requires you to pay to read them. Email ESPN and threaten to cancel your subscriptions (if you have them) due to his unjustifiable comments. Hit him where it hurts--the wallet.

GoSox2K3
05-13-2005, 09:28 AM
In your emails, be sure to mention that you won't be purchasing any of his books, avid readers that you are. Let him know he is alienating his audience--his paying audience. For that matter, all of his columns are ESPN Insider which requires you to pay to read them. Email ESPN and threaten to cancel your subscriptions (if you have them) due to his unjustifiable comments. Hit him where it hurts--the wallet.

Aren't we getting a little carried away? After all, this was just a comment on a chat room and not an actual article.

Spicoli
05-13-2005, 11:11 AM
Aren't we getting a little carried away? After all, this was just a comment on a chat room and not an actual article.

I suppose that is one way to look at it. We can belittle everything using this logic. I guess being a paid "analyst" who is facing the public shouldn't count. Just like when politicians are asked tough questions and they give incredulous answers, we should just say, "Hey, they were having a chat! If they had been given the time to have their speech writers respond in a formal monologue, you can bet they wouldn't have said anything that stupid and/or offensive." Nobody can be held accountable anymore without hearing this type of response. If this is the case, then why does anybody say anything or listen to anything anybody else says? Couldn't I use the same trope GoSox2K3? That is, what if I responded to you by saying, "Aren't you getting a little carried away? After all, this was just a comment on a message board and not an actual article." Sophistry.

MUScholar21
05-13-2005, 11:50 AM

It's the fact he goes out of the way to take an uninformed cheap shot at the organization, which people who believe this expert hates it then they should to. How many of us don't like the Juicebox in Tampa Bay because John Rooney trashes it every time? It's the same thing. Then when he has the balls to come off like a jag in his email reply, I get more aggravated. That's why it is more than just a chat, IMHO.

mcfish
05-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Aren't we getting a little carried away? After all, this was just a comment on a chat room and not an actual article.If George Knue of all people agrees with us, then we are pretty much justified in this one.

FarWestChicago
05-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Aren't we getting a little carried away? After all, this was just a comment on a chat room and not an actual article.Let me guess, you're a FOBB and you just have to back up your brother? :rolleyes: