PDA

View Full Version : Karchner: My Heart's on the South Side

Hitmen77
05-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Interesting article in today's Tribune by David Haugh about the player the Cubs gave up Jon Garland for. He's out of baseball and now coaching a Division III school. Here's the link:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-050511soxside,1,5844075.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Interesting excerpt from the article: "As much as Karchner eschews the economics of professional baseball, he still follows his former Chicago teams, the White Sox more than the Cubs. "My heart's on the South Side," he said.

They must have quoted him wrong - I thought that every player would choose the Cubs over the Sox. I bet Mr. Haugh is in trouble with his bosses now for putting that in his article. I thought the rule at the Cubune was to only quote people when they were dissing the Sox or preferring the Cubs.

Frater Perdurabo
05-12-2005, 10:00 AM
I bet Mr. Haugh is in trouble with his bosses now for putting that in his article. I thought the rule at the Cubune was to only quote people when they were dissing the Sox or preferring the Cubs.

Indeed.

'Twas a good story, however.

voodoochile
05-12-2005, 10:01 AM
Of course it is. With the Sox he actually had one solid season as a closer. With the flubbies, he was all but through...

brewcrew/chisox
05-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Interesting article in today's Tribune by David Haugh about the player the Cubs gave up Jon Garland for. He's out of baseball and now coaching a Division III school. Here's the link:

Interesting excerpt from the article: "As much as Karchner eschews the economics of professional baseball, he still follows his former Chicago teams, the White Sox more than the Cubs. "My heart's on the South Side," he said.

They must have quoted him wrong - I thought that every player would choose the Cubs over the Sox. I bet Mr. Haugh is in trouble with his bosses now for putting that in his article. I thought the rule at the Cubune was to only quote people when they were dissing the Sox or preferring the Cubs.

umm, I thinks you forgot the link

Hitmen77
05-12-2005, 11:23 AM
umm, I thinks you forgot the link

D'oh!!!!!!

I fixed my post so that it now has the link.

ChiSoxGirl
05-12-2005, 11:38 AM
D'oh!!!!!!

I fixed my post so that it now has the link.

Great find, Hitmenof77! :smile: It's nice to read an article whose main focus is that of a lopsided trade that benefits the White Sox and not the Cubs, since all we ever hear about is the George Bell/Sammy Sosa deal and how the Scrubs reaped the benefits of that one! :tongue:

Bisco Stu
05-12-2005, 11:46 PM
Great find, Hitmenof77! :smile: It's nice to read an article whose main focus is that of a lopsided trade that benefits the White Sox and not the Cubs, since all we ever hear about is the George Bell/Sammy Sosa deal and how the Scrubs reaped the benefits of that one! :tongue:

Yeah, I can't keep track of all the pennants the Flubs won with Sham-ME...

Tragg
05-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Of course it is. With the Sox he actually had one solid season as a closer. With the flubbies, he was all but through...

He was a pretty indifferent middle releiver for us. But right after the white flag trade we threw him in as closer and he pitched great.

They didn't misquote him...the cubune censor just forgot to either a) edit that part outor b) add the words "Chicago is a Cubs town but....."

Jurr
05-12-2005, 11:53 PM
Man...every time Karchner came into the game, I got the same terrible feeling that I'd get when Koch or Mike Jackson came in. And to think we got Garland for him. Way to go, Cubs! D Train and Garland! Ha

Tragg
05-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Man...every time Karchner came into the game, I got the same terrible feeling that I'd get when Koch or Mike Jackson came in. And to think we got Garland for him. Way to go, Cubs! D Train and Garland! Ha

For me, it was more of a Howry type feeling; he'd probably get the job done, but it would be painful and...he may not get it done.

LuvSox
05-13-2005, 12:00 AM
A surprisingly good article. I normally don't read anything from them, even on line. Page hits mean advertisers money, and on down the line to Cubbies salaries.

Blueprint1
05-13-2005, 04:56 AM
What is awesome is I was at the game after we traded Karchner to the cubs. I was in the skybox and some cubs fan said to me, "we got your closer." I said we got your first round draft pick. I am so glad they got our closer.