PDA

View Full Version : Conflict of Interest

Petch
05-12-2005, 09:42 AM
As a high school senior who has been a Sox fan since birth, I have had my fair share of ups and downs. Mostly downs. But now, it is feeling pretty good to be on top, at least for the time being. I cannot tell you how many Cubs-Sox arguments take place at school on a daily basis. When the Cubs made the playoffs, all of a sudden, the hallways at school were lined with Cubs hats, jerseys, and everything else. I was disgusted. I didn't think I would ever see a worse sight in my life. However, this season, the minority of Sox fans at my school seems to be growing. I have always been proud of the fact that even though we had far less numbers, we all new more about the game and our team than the Cub fans. But now there seems to be a switch. More unintelligent fair weather fans swaying to our side. I am at a crossroads. I don't know whether to embrace these new fans as a part of my team's overall success, or vomit because the intelligence level of "Sox fans" is decreasing by the day. What do you think?

voodoochile
05-12-2005, 09:57 AM
As a high school senior who has been a Sox fan since birth, I have had my fair share of ups and downs. Mostly downs. But now, it is feeling pretty good to be on top, at least for the time being. I cannot tell you how many Cubs-Sox arguments take place at school on a daily basis. When the Cubs made the playoffs, all of a sudden, the hallways at school were lined with Cubs hats, jerseys, and everything else. I was disgusted. I didn't think I would ever see a worse sight in my life. However, this season, the minority of Sox fans at my school seems to be growing. I have always been proud of the fact that even though we had far less numbers, we all new more about the game and our team than the Cub fans. But now there seems to be a switch. More unintelligent fair weather fans swaying to our side. I am at a crossroads. I don't know whether to embrace these new fans as a part of my team's overall success, or vomit because the intelligence level of "Sox fans" is decreasing by the day. What do you think?

Thus has it ever been... thus will it ever be... especially in Chicago.

Get used to it because the only other option is for the Sox to royally suck forever and I doubt you want that...

mjharrison72
05-12-2005, 10:04 AM
We're to expect a fair number of bandwagon-jumpers and casual fans, especially a lot of those "I like BOTH teams" types to start showing their Sox pride.

Either you can fight it, and come off like a snob or a jerk, or you can encourage them to show their Sox pride and become more familiar with this great team.

Maybe it's becuase I am moving to the North Side soon, or maybe I'm just tired of hating the Flubs and their fans so much, but I think part of the perception of Sox fans need to be changed. Rather than rip on the Flubs, the next time a Flubs fan has something stupid to say about the Sox, say something positive about the Sox: "Man, Konerko had a clutch double last night... he's really turning it around." "Duque had a great outing yesterday... the walks could cause trouble, but who's going to complain about six innings of three-hit ball."

In other words, basically pretend the Flubs don't exist. My experiment begins today, and I encourage others to show Sox pride through positive thoughts about our team, rather than negative jabs about that "other" team.

Palehose13
05-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Thus has it ever been... thus will it ever be... especially in Chicago.

Get used to it because the only other option is for the Sox to royally suck forever and I doubt you want that...

I don't remember much about '83 (I was 9), but it was the same in the early 90's and 2000.

Jurr
05-12-2005, 10:28 AM
The bandwagon fever is taking place all over America, for what I've seen. Memphis, TN, Nashville, TN, and Louisville, KY are all great examples of cities I've been to recently that contained many people wearing nice, new Sox stuff.

nccwsfan
05-12-2005, 10:50 AM
We're to expect a fair number of bandwagon-jumpers and casual fans, especially a lot of those "I like BOTH teams" types to start showing their Sox pride.

Either you can fight it, and come off like a snob or a jerk, or you can encourage them to show their Sox pride and become more familiar with this great team.

Maybe it's becuase I am moving to the North Side soon, or maybe I'm just tired of hating the Flubs and their fans so much, but I think part of the perception of Sox fans need to be changed. Rather than rip on the Flubs, the next time a Flubs fan has something stupid to say about the Sox, say something positive about the Sox: "Man, Konerko had a clutch double last night... he's really turning it around." "Duque had a great outing yesterday... the walks could cause trouble, but who's going to complain about six innings of three-hit ball."

In other words, basically pretend the Flubs don't exist. My experiment begins today, and I encourage others to show Sox pride through positive thoughts about our team, rather than negative jabs about that "other" team.

Good point- why even worry about what 'they' are doing? They're in the NL and have a proven history of losing. Enjoy the ride and enjoy the White Sox....you'll have more fun that way.

tebman
05-12-2005, 10:52 AM

Excellent advice! My experience over the last 30 years has been that Sox fans are, by far, more knowledgeable about baseball and more appreciative of the layers of the game that make it so good. I'd guess that's probably because the Sox have historically had fewer casual fans than the other team, so those who do follow the Sox do it because they appreciate baseball.

But success is a platform for bandwagon construction, and the Sox will get their share of casual fans. Welcome them in! Talk baseball with them and be honest when the Sox make mistakes. Some will drift away, but we'll be doing a public service by introducing people to the pure pleasure of being a baseball fan.

skottyj242
05-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Success brings bandwagon jumpers....how many people did you see walking around Chicago in March wearing orange and blue that probably couldn't even tell you where Champaign is on a map?

pinwheels3530
05-12-2005, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=mjharrison72]We're to expect a fair number of bandwagon-jumpers and casual fans, especially a lot of those "I like BOTH teams" types to start showing their Sox pride.

In other words, basically pretend the Flubs don't exist. My experiment begins today, and I encourage others to show Sox pride through positive thoughts about our team, rather than negative jabs about that "other" team.[/QUOTE

I do that all the time at work and basically ignore any comments they make, man Cub fans get really pissed when you don't acknowledge them.

Deadguy
05-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Success brings bandwagon jumpers....how many people did you see walking around Chicago in March wearing orange and blue that probably couldn't even tell you where Champaign is on a map?

Chicago is unbelievably fickle when it comes to U of IL ahletics.

I had season tickets to both football and basketball for all four years that I was a student at the U of IL, and the Assembly was half empty for nearly every game of he 1998-99 season. Champaign-Urbana itself has a metropolitan population of just under 100,000, so it is a community that can not be expected to "Paint the Hall Orange" or get 70,000 people into Memorial Stadium based on the local population alone. You hear people from Chicago complain about driving 2 and a half hours down I-57 to support the Illini when they are struggling, but you'll have to pay $300 on Ebay for a Section C seat in the Aseembly Hall when the team is ranked #1 and playing Longwood.

And don't get me started on how poorly Champaign was treated when the Bears played in Memorial Stadium. Perhaps they would have been better off going to Evanston or South Bend.

Mohoney
05-12-2005, 02:22 PM
I actually don't mind bandwagon fans at all. When more and more bandwagon fans show up, the coffers swell, and it improves our chances to make a midseason trade or re-sign guys in the offseason.

I hope we get 120,000+ for this O's series, we take 3 out of 4 or sweep a good team, and it convinces some people that this team is indeed worth their money to see play.

I know that everybody hates attendance talk, and I know that I don't sound like a real die-hard fan if I embrace the formation of a bandwagon, but it might be worth it if we can:

A) improve the team with the extra bandwagon dollars

B) keep the team intact with the extra bandwagon dollars so we can have a chance to start next season as well as we have started this one

Kenny Williams brought in a lot of talent over the offseason with an increased payroll. Personally, I would like to see what Kenny can do with even more money to work with.

hose
05-12-2005, 05:09 PM
I actually don't mind bandwagon fans at all. When more and more bandwagon fans show up, the coffers swell, and it improves our chances to make a midseason trade or re-sign guys in the offseason.

I hope we get 120,000+ for this O's series, we take 3 out of 4 or sweep a good team, and it convinces some people that this team is indeed worth their money to see play.

I know that everybody hates attendance talk, and I know that I don't sound like a real die-hard fan if I embrace the formation of a bandwagon, but it might be worth it if we can:

A) improve the team with the extra bandwagon dollars

B) keep the team intact with the extra bandwagon dollars so we can have a chance to start next season as well as we have started this one

Kenny Williams brought in a lot of talent over the offseason with an increased payroll. Personally, I would like to see what Kenny can do with even more money to work with.

Bandwagon asses in seats at the Cell is all good.

You are 100% correct about the money going towards improving the team.

The reality is that the majority of people are casual fans at best.

soxwon
05-12-2005, 05:13 PM
[QUOTE=mjharrison72]We're to expect a fair number of bandwagon-jumpers and casual fans, especially a lot of those "I like BOTH teams" types to start showing their Sox pride.

In other words, basically pretend the Flubs don't exist. My experiment begins today, and I encourage others to show Sox pride through positive thoughts about our team, rather than negative jabs about that "other" team.[/QUOTE

I do that all the time at work and basically ignore any comments they make, man Cub fans get really pissed when you don't acknowledge them.

since the season started, i HAVE not GLOATED at all to the Cub fans at work.
Ive been exremely quiet.
Yesterday one particular wise ass Cubs fan came in and said something like "i see your sox are coming down to earth"
i said, you might be right on that,then i said" hey ive been very cool towards you guys" " No bragging"
He agreed, and said, but its BEST YOU DO keep quiet, because once you guys blow it and dont even make the playoffs, youll hear about it.
Then he bet me $5 the sox dont make the playoffs, and If they do BY CHANCE, $10 the Sox dont win anymore than 1 game in the playoffs.
These guys are so frickin arrogant, even with their team , plays like CRAPP!

hold2dibber
05-12-2005, 05:47 PM
I hope we get 120,000+ for this O's series

I don't think that's possible - isn't capacity less than 40,000 after the renovations?

maurice
05-12-2005, 06:18 PM
It's a 4-game series.

owensmouth
05-12-2005, 06:47 PM
I don't think that's possible - isn't capacity less than 40,000 after the renovations?Right at 40,000. A four game series could be up at 160,000.

hsnterprize
05-12-2005, 08:02 PM
MJHarrison72 says...

Rather than rip on the Flubs, the next time a Flubs fan has something stupid to say about the Sox, say something positive about the Sox: "Man, Konerko had a clutch double last night... he's really turning it around." "Duque had a great outing yesterday... the walks could cause trouble, but who's going to complain about six innings of three-hit ball."

That's a good approach. I've done that a couple of times, including an instance when a guy shopping at a Sports Authority store in Broadview was looking for White Sox stuff to give to wedding party guests as gifts. In spite of his "negative" comments, which really weren't given in a sarcastic tone or whatever...just a point/counterpoint-style discussion, I was able to point out the positives about the Sox' performance this year, and give a realisitic approach as to how I and other Sox fans were taking to this hotter-than-hell start. I think he appreciated that approach, but I think he's a Cub fan at heart who wants the Sox to crumble.

nasox
05-12-2005, 08:19 PM
I have to say, being called a bandwagon fan when you really are a diehard to the heart is a terrible experience.

Back in eighth grade, our band director was a huge sox fan. Then some idiot said I only like the Sox because Mr. Jay did. That made me feel like crap, and really struck me inside, until I realized this kid was a huge bandie, and had no life out of band.
See, pissing on other people is a good way to make yourself feel better.

Jurr
05-12-2005, 11:44 PM
If the Sox keep beating the Orioles this weekend, it's going to get really ugly in bandwagon land, and I'm talking on a NATIONAL scale. I'm telling you all...get ready. I'm just going to welcome them in and invite them to stick around for a while.