PDA

View Full Version : The Problems Will Get Worse...

RKMeibalane
11-08-2001, 10:00 PM
...if Major League Baseball folds the Twins and Expos. Vladimir Guerrero, of course, will be the first player picked, and the Pirates have the first pick should MLB elect to hold a "contraction draft."

Here's the problem. The Pirates don't have the money to sign Vlad, so he will go elsewhere if he has the chance, perhaps to a team like the damn Yankees, who should have plenty of money left over considering that O'Neil, Martinez, and Brosius won't be coming back next year.

It's a classic example of the "rich getting richer." This serves only to make things worse. The inability of small-market teams to compete financially is the primary reason why baseball is currently dealing with contraction.

Selig seems only to be concerned with what's going on right now, this minute. He hasn't considered the fact that what he's doing creates something of a vicious cycle which may result in other teams suffering the same fate as the Twins and perhaps, the Expos will.

I may just be "spewing out garbage," but I have bad feeling about this. Selig is not the man baseball needs to resolve this situation because he doesn't use his brain.

Soxheads
11-08-2001, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Selig is not the man baseball needs to resolve this situation because he doesn't use his brain.

Well, duh. :)

HootieMcBoob
11-08-2001, 10:53 PM
i read an article on this and it said the LAST thing they want is for the pirates or royals to pick top-tier players, and be unable to pay them. to solve this problem this is what they said might happen:

the owner of the expos will buy the marlins. the owner of the marlins will buy the angels, because disney desperately wants to sell the angels. in order to fix this problem where the yanks/dodgers will sign these players cuz poor teams cant afford them is that the expos owner will be able to bring "a handful" of players over to his new team. this is all proposals of what will happen......look for this article at espn.com somewhere

Soxheads
11-08-2001, 10:58 PM
Yeah, I've heard that two. The Angels with the likes of Brad Penny.

oldcomiskey
11-09-2001, 08:29 AM
youre right about the small market teams having no chance--i mean look at Arizona---whoops they are small market

Joel Perez
11-09-2001, 11:37 AM
IMO--The Pirates will just salivate and jump at the chance to get "The Next Roberto Clemente"--as he was dubbed in the minors.

Vlad in a Pirate uniform--I think it'll happen. It will enhance Pittsburgh and the team, plus playing in that not-too-shabby ballpark of theirs would be a great fit for Vlad.

But I'm still rooting the Sox would try to get him.

CLR01
11-09-2001, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
youre right about the small market teams having no chance--i mean look at Arizona---whoops they are small market

Arizona is not a small market team.

ma-gaga
11-09-2001, 04:44 PM
When ESPN, or CNNSI showed highlights of Arizona's championship parade, they didn't show any shots of the crowd. Just the players riding high on the firetrucks. What gives?

The network claimed 300,000 turned out, are there any pictures out there of what the crowd looked like? Was that number high?

Soxheads
11-09-2001, 04:47 PM
I'm sure that more turned out for the Yank-me parade. Kinda like the Cubs would be like if they got to a WS. Well, I guess I'll never see that in lifetime.