PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bears hear the booing, and it makes them feel sad

Baby Fisk
05-12-2005, 08:15 AM
Awww, so sad... :(: linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-050511cubsbrite,1,2308936.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines) Lee takes issue with boo birds

"I understand booing," Lee said. "But when they're booing Dusty when he came to get Maddux, then they don't know the situation there. If you're going to boo, understand what you're booing.

"You have the right to boo. That's fine and dandy. We understand you want us to win. But there is a time to boo and a time not to boo. That's the one thing that bothers me."

Maximo
05-12-2005, 08:41 AM
Awww, so sad... :(: linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-050511cubsbrite,1,2308936.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines)

"Then they don't know the situation there"..........well, welcome to Wrigley Field, Derrick Lee!

Palehose13
05-12-2005, 08:47 AM
"Then they don't know the situation there"..........well, welcome to Wrigley Field, Derrick Lee!

I thought that this was more telling than anything. D. Lee has pretty much called out the Wrigley crowd for not knowing the situation.

TDog
05-12-2005, 09:28 AM
Fans boo because they care. Sometimes they're stupid about it, and I wouldn't be surprised if some fans boo because other people are booing and they believe it is appropriate based on the actions of people around them. When I took my little brother to games years ago, I taught him when NOT to boo. Booing certain guys when they come to bat is clearly different than booing a managerial move.

In the '70s, Chuck Tanner removed a pitcher who was in trouble after getting deep into a well-pitched game. The pitcher got big cheers coming off the field. Tanner was booed loudly. He smiled and tipped his hat to the crowd. That turned the fans booed into cheers. I wasn't the only one who seemed to see him saying, "I want to win, too, guys."

I don't remember the pitcher, although I suspect it was Stan Bahnsen. I don't even remember if the Sox won. I just remember I gained more respect for Chuck Tanner that Sunday afternoon.

Don't complain about fans booing. Do something about it.

SoxSpeed22
05-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Don't complain about fans booing. Do something about it.I don't know who to defend, because the Cubs are...the Cubs and the fans are terrible when it comes to booing. They care more about booing their own team then others. Two days ago, taking Maddux out when he's tired and up 6-0, instead of cheering Maddux, they boo Dusty. Someone say something if you have noticed that Cub fans are even worse this year than last year. TDog is right. Give them no reason to be angry with you. Does anybody else miss the former indifferent Cub fans compared to the raving psychos that claim they know more about baseball and are smarter just because the Cubs were close to the World Series? Glad I jumped off the fence and landed here.

Baby Fisk
05-12-2005, 09:56 AM
Glad I jumped off the fence and landed here.
Good thing you didn't land on the fence. (ouch)

Palehose13
05-12-2005, 10:21 AM
I don't know who to defend, because the Cubs are...the Cubs and the fans are terrible when it comes to booing. They care more about booing their own team then others. Two days ago, taking Maddux out when he's tired and up 6-0, instead of cheering Maddux, they boo Dusty. Someone say something if you have noticed that Cub fans are even worse this year than last year. TDog is right. Give them no reason to be angry with you. Does anybody else miss the former indifferent Cub fans compared to the raving psychos that claim they know more about baseball and are smarter just because the Cubs were close to the World Series? Glad I jumped off the fence and landed here.

IMO, it has gotten worse. I have heard/read cub fans claim that they caused Alfonseca, Sosa, and others to leave (or be shipped out of)town because of their booing. They are under the impression that when the front office hears them boo a player/manager, then the front office says "Ut-oh...our lemmings don't like "X" player. Time to get rid of him to please the masses!"

MIgrenade
05-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Lee is getting his shot of reality. Nothings going to change and the more those losers complain about their team, the better the Sox get. The times are a changin'. I hope anyway.

Tekijawa
05-12-2005, 11:36 AM
A very heavily edited Complaint, I cut and pasted and edited and double checked so mods feel free to edit more if need be but I'm pretty sure I got them all. It's one of the top 3 all time coach rants ever, Better than Mora's "Playoffs" and Maybe tied with Bobby Knights "Purdue Halftime speech!

From Lee Elia, Chicago Cubs, Manager, in April, 1983 (before Wrigley Field had lights for night baseball), following a home loss to the Dodgers and in front of writers and microphones:

**** those ****in' fans who come out here and say they're Cub fans that are supposed to be behind you, rippin' every ****in' thing you do. I'll tell you one ****in' thing, I hope we get ****in' hotter than ****, just to stuff it up them 3,000 ****in' people that show up every ****in' day, because if they're the real Chicago ****in' fans, they can kiss my ***in' ass right downtown and PRINT IT.

They're really, really behind you around here...my ****in' ass. What the **** am I supposed to do, go out there and let my ****in' players get destroyed every day and be quiet about it? For the ****in' nickel-dime people who turn up? The mother****rs don't even work. That's why they're out at the ****in' game. They oughta go out and get a ****in' job and find out what it's like to go out and earn a ****in' living. Eighty-five percent of the ****in' world is working. The other fifteen percent come out here. A ****in' playground for the ****s*ckers. Rip them mother****ers. Rip them ****in' ****s*ckers like the ****in' players. We got guys bustin' their ****in' ass, and them ****in' people boo. And that's the Cubs? My ****in' ass. They talk about the great ****in' support the players get around here. I haven't see it this ****in' year. Everybody associated with this organization have been winners their whole ****in' life. Everybody. And the credit is not given in that respect.

Alright, they don't show because we're 5 and 14...and unfortunately, that's the criteria of them dumb fifteen mother****in' percent that come out to day baseball. The other eighty-five percent are earning a living. I tell you, it'll take more than a 5 and 12 or 5 and 14 to destroy the makeup of this club. I guarantee you that. There's some ****in' pros out there that wanna win. But you're stuck in a ****in' stigma of the ****in' Dodgers and the Phillies and the Cardinals an all that cheap ****. It's unbelievable. It really is. It's a disheartening ****in' situation that we're in right now. Anybody who was associated with the Cub organization four or five years ago that came back and sees the multitude of progress that's been made will understand that if they're baseball people, that 5 and 14 doesn't negate all that work. We got 143 ****in' games left. What I'm tryin' to say is don't rip them ****in' guys out there. Rip me. If you wanna rip somebody, rip my ****in' ass. But don't rip them ****in' guys 'cause they're givin' everything they can give. And right now they're tryin' to do more than God gave 'em, and that's why we make the simple mistakes. That's exactly why.

Sox of White
05-12-2005, 11:46 AM
...them ****in' people boo. And that's the Cubs?

Yep, that's the cubs.

maurice
05-12-2005, 12:43 PM
I have heard/read cub fans claim that they caused Alfonseca, Sosa, and others to leave (or be shipped out of)town because of their booing.

I heard that they caused Chip and Stoney to be fired when they threw beer cups on the field, and cause the cubs to win games when they throw balls on the field.

There's no limit to the narcisism of a cub fan. It's the same genetic defect that causes them to express shock upon learning that not everybody in Chicago roots for the baby bears. It's fun to use this to your advantage:

cub fan: The cubs won. Woo!
maurice: Who cares?
cub fan: What do you mean? You don't root for the cubs?
maurice: Hell no. Why would anybody root for that bunch of losers?
cub fan: (whimper)
maurice: Plus, that crumbling dive they play in smells like piss.
cub fan: (chokes to death after swallowing own tongue)

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Cub fans, IMO, feel that since they were 5 outs away 2 years ago, they have the God given right to boo when things don't go their way. They booed the Dodgers when the fight over Hundley's hat broke out - AND FANS STARTED IT!! Let them boo - they boo cuz they don't know any better.

As for Lee and Dusty, if it's too hot in the kitchen, don't cook. You wanted to come here and play for that team - you get what you deserve.

Sox fans boo when they see poor quality on the field - be it managerial decisions or output. Sox fans pay attention; Cub fans pay attendance.

white sox bill
05-12-2005, 05:30 PM
Ah the freindly confines!!

Sox of White
05-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Sox fans pay attention; Cub fans pay attendance.

Very nicely put. I love it.

hsnterprize
05-12-2005, 11:51 PM
Sox fans pay attention; Cub fans pay attendance.Someone tried to use that "attendance" thing on me as to why the Cubs were better than the Sox. I told this person, "When was the last time Major League Baseball gave a championship banner or championship ring to the team with the highest attendance?" They don't hang "Attendance Champions" banners from the rafters at MLB stadiums, do they?

The only way the Cubs will ever get a championship ring is if they went to a taping of the Oprah show, and she suprised the team and the audience with a ring.

34 Inch Stick
05-13-2005, 09:37 AM
The only reason fans should be concerned about attendance is its relation to future spending. If attendance does not increase the quality of my team, I would just as soon have an empty seat between me and the people I am with.

I equate it to going to a great movie. I would just as soon wait 3 weeks and see it in a nearly empty theatre than go opening nite and renew my hate for humanity.

PaulDrake
05-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Sox fans pay attention; Cub fans pay attendance. Most excellent! Since I can't buy you one here's to ya. :gulp:

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Most excellent! Since I can't buy you one here's to ya. :gulp:

Good to see you posting again, Paul!
:bandance:

PaulDrake
05-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Good to see you posting again, Paul!
:bandance: Thanks for noticing. Hope everthing goes well by you these days.

soxfan26
05-13-2005, 10:23 PM
The only way the Cubs will ever get a championship ring is if they went to a taping of the Oprah show, and she suprised the team and the audience with a ring.

Or they could enter this raffle (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46609) being held by the A.L. Cubs and help make a mockery of the World Series Championship Ring! :thumbsup:

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-14-2005, 11:12 PM
Most excellent! Since I can't buy you one here's to ya. :gulp:

I'll take a Guinness...thank you very much.